If you hit your 3 wood over 300 yards

If you can hit your 3 wood over 300 yards, do you drop your driver?

Or do you try and hit your driver even further than your 3 wood?

Just in general as a strategy, no specific course/hole/situation.
Bio Cell 10*
DET 15*
MP-H5 3i
MP-4 4-PW
MP-T5 51*
MD2 55*,59*
Mac G Milled

Comments

• EnfynetEnfynet Bogey Golf Members Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd work on accuracy. This may or may not remove the driver from the bag.
    Power Play Warp Speed 10.5° / Brassie 13° / 5W 18° / Apollo Shadow Graphite RS / Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN Midsize [2750 kg·cm²]
    Dynacraft Prophet Tour 4i-PW / Apollo Shadow Lite RS / Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN Midsize
    [2825 kg·cm²]
    Professional Open 690 Series 52° / 56° / 60° / Apollo Hump S / Winn DriTac Midsize [2825 kg·cm²]
    Wright & Ditson Cash-In Putter / Leather wrapped pistol grip [My grandfather's putter]
  • Badgergolfer2Badgergolfer2 Members Posts: 1,355
    It depends how I hit my driver. Id never take the driver out of the bag though. If I can hit the 3-wood 300 yards, I should be hitting my driver at least 325.
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,735 ✭✭
    I'd carry a driver, but use it sparingly like Henrik Stenson.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,052 ClubWRX
    Im pretty sure we all hit 3 wood 300 on wrx right? 🤗

To answer your question i would try to hit driver 330-340
  • kmcelhaneykmcelhaney Members Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I would swing driver as hard as possible and see how far into the woods I can make it.
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My sponser would probably insist that I carry their newest driver.
  • rathburnmd1rathburnmd1 Members Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    Assuming a decent level of accuracy with driver I'd keep it in.
  • BreakingParBreakingPar Recovering golf club and golf ball hoarder... Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt J wrote:

I'd carry a driver, but use it sparingly like Henrik Stenson.

Stenson only hits it 280 - 290.

kekoa wrote:

Im pretty sure we all hit 3 wood 300 on wrx right? ��

To answer your question i would try to hit driver 330-340

Before you ask: yes, I've gone ahead and confiscated both his man card and his WRX card (I believe he was going by the handle JonesScott?)
    WITB:
    SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
    Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
    R15 3H Rogue Black 85
    MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
    50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
    Ghost Spider Si Slant
  • peachfuzzpeachfuzz Members Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭
    It would depend on the course. If there were any par-5s long enough to not reach in with a 300 yard 3w, I'd probably be forced to carry a driver at that point.
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Unregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Driver, wedges, putter, leave the rest of the crap at home. You might consider a left-handed gap wedge should the wind come up unexpectedly.
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Posts: 3,538 ClubWRX
    I can't imagine consistently knocking a 3 wood over 300 yards.

I am a long hitter, by standard amateur definitions (though I'm not quite WrxLong) I hit 3wood around 270-280, and driver around 300-310.

Of course I can really go after them and be longer - at a significant sacrifice to accuracy and consistency.

Any club you can hit accurately past about 270 yards should be your go-to club.

I found myself keeping track of score, GIR, Fairways hit, and putts per round on my scorecard. This showed me that essentially when I miss the fairway, my GIR and putts both suffered - so I choose the club that gives me the highest chance of hitting fairway. Some holes that's driver - others that's an easy 230 yard hybrid.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • Tcann32Tcann32 Members Posts: 3,527
    From a practicality stand point,it makes sense to only use that club.

However, I think it's a fundamental issue if driver is never used when it would give one a clear advantage to hit it 320 vs 290.

Idk why we didn't address the elephant in the room in the OP here, but we will just use Stenson as an example: He hits a 3w 290 on a 580 yard par 5. He still has 290 left and has to rely on hitting another 290 yard 3w with incredible accuracy off the deck to make it to the green in two. Place him against Rory, DJ, Day, who will hit driver-long iron into many par 5's. On a good ball-striking day by those individuals, he has lost an advantage. At the end of the day, eagles beat birdies, and two putt birdies are easier than 1 putt birdies.

I don't get all the rage about Stenson's 3w honestly, outside of his consistency. It's talked about so often because he doesn't really ever use his driver and is always competitive, but if Day, Rors, etc.. can't hit theirs equally as far, then maybe it's a bit more special than I realize, but I'm quite positive I've seen them hit a fairway wood equally as far, and or further.
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7
  • CiceroCicero Members Posts: 1,377 ✭✭
    It would depend on the course. On some, it would make sense not to even bag the driver. On other courses, that driver would be a huge advantage.
  • HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I may opt to use the 3-wood more often than I do now.
  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, only on GolfWrx!
  • LittleLeftToRightLittleLeftToRight Turn that frown upside down! Members Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are playing tour courses like Stenson you get a 4 wood so you have something practical. That is the route I took.
  • kylemacca01kylemacca01 Members Posts: 1,751
    edited Jul 25, 2016 #18
    I have a 14 degree sldr 3 wood which I routinely hit 270-290 off the tee, but to be honest it doesnt get used as much as maybe it should.

Driver goes 20-30yds further.
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the driver out? No way man.

I hit my driver 400 yards.

(see what I did there?)

X________________________________
    Sign Here

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Banned Posts: 170
    I can (at times) get a 3 wood out that far. In my experience most guys who hit a 3 wood that far - never hit it. They are usually good drivers of the ball and are more comfortable with a driver than a 3 wood. This is the case with me.

The 3 wood often goes "further than expected" because it's an easier club to draw than the driver.
    Even my putter is X flex
  • thurmdieselthurmdiesel Members Posts: 74 ✭✭
    If you can hit a cart path with your 3 wood, there's no reason to think you can't do the same with a driver.
  • WesquireWesquire Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think at that point you are better off taking the 3w out of the bag because the only time you'd ever use it is off the tee. Jump from driver straight to a 5w, DI, or hybrid.
    Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5° (Mitsubishi CK Pro Orange 70 TX Tipped 1")
    3 Wood - Ping G 14.5° (PX HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5 Tipped 1.5")
    2 Crossover - Ping G410 17° (PX HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5)
    4-W - Ping i200 (PX 6.5)
    Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50°/55°/60° (PX 6.5)
    Putter - Directed Force
    Ball - Snell MTB-X
  • northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt I will ever qualify to answer the OP.
    If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The 3 wood often goes "further than expected" because it's an easier club to draw than the driver.

You just took the thread up a notch!
  • bdcavabdcava bdcava Members Posts: 606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not worthy to respond.
  • Smash FactorsSmash Factors Members Posts: 3,674 ✭✭
    I can't remember who it was, but one of the guys on this forum was saying that a lot of guys "Pigeon Hole" themselves by limiting their options for hitting off the tee. He said it's good to have several options for your tee shot. I thought those were interesting statements.

So no, I wouldn't take the driver out of the bag. Keep in around and use it. Use the 3 wood for shorter holes and tighter fairways.
    Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
    Some random 3 wood
    My same, old irons
    A few wedges...
    Scotty Cameron Fastback
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hit my 3 wood over 300 every time......I play the downhill hole with the prevailing wind at my back and a hard fairway with a creek that crosses it at 305.
    Clubs are fluid
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If I hit my 3 wood over 300, I would keep my driver in the bag to use on 250 yard par 3's.
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,793 ClubWRX
    I was literally having this conversation with a young pro I caddied for in the Cal State Open last week.

After witnessing him CARRY 3-wood 295 yards on his second shot on our 9th hole on a calm day and then follow that up with perfect 300-yard 3-woods off the tee on 13 and 15, I turned to him and asked

"Why don't you just start..."

He interrupted me, "Hit all 3-woods, like Stenson?"

We both cracked up.
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • rainkingjrrainkingjr Members Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're using Stenson as an example, I hardly consider a 13 degree fairway a true 3 wood. Either way, the fact that he hits it that far supports the notion that most of us are better off with a driver in the 44" range. To answer the OP's question though, no I would not take driver out of the bag.
  • Tax Man GolfethTax Man Golfeth Allergic to birdies. Members Posts: 371
    ...I carry driver and 4w instead. Because 300yds isn't a particularly useful gap to fill.
    SLDR 9.5 w/ Speeder 757
    Titleist 904f 4W w/ S300
    Ping G20 17* w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 85 2.0
    Ping S56 5-9 w/ KBS Tour Stiff
    Vokey 46, 52, 56 & 60
    Ping WACK-E putter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file