SuperSpeed Golf training system

Comments

• trumb1mj1trumb1mj1 Members Posts: 1,387 ✭✭
    I had no idea there were baseball and golf settings on the blue ssr. Everything I thought I had lost is now back. Baseball mode measured about 7-8 MPH lower.
    TM '16 M2 10.5*
    Diamana Blueboard 63g
    TM '16 M1 15*
    Diamana Blueboard 83g
    TM RBZ 19*
    Diamana Blueboard 83g
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 4i
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    Srixon 565 5i
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    Srixon 765 6-PW
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    RTX 2.0 50, 54, 60* 2 dot
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    Bettinardi Studio #28
  • SuperSwede28SuperSwede28 Posts: 104 ✭✭
    1ba63f08e4f17fb144ee7269fd22b387.jpg

The short bar/rectangle should be at the bottom right for my model, has a golf club and ball symbol there. Hold the button about 1 sec and release to go between golf and baseball and the two speed unit options.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist TS3 8.5 deg. - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange (V3) 70TX[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 915F 3 Wood - GD AD DI 8X[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 915H 2H & 4H - UST Attas International 100X[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon 765 5i-6i - Nippon Modus 120X[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon 965 7i-9i - Nippon Modus 120X[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX4 Raw 46 deg. - TI S400[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura K-grind 50 deg. - Nippon Modus 120S[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Wedgeworks SM6 54 and 58 deg. - TI S400[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Byron Morgan 612 GSS [/font]
  • SuperSwede28SuperSwede28 Posts: 104 ✭✭
    trumb1mj1 wrote:
    I had no idea there were baseball and golf settings on the blue ssr. Everything I thought I had lost is now back. Baseball mode measured about 7-8 MPH lower.

Saw too late you had already figured ot out image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> As I posted earlier it seems as if the baseball mode is closer to real numbers though, but comparing to previous results and tracking progress it obviously doesn't really matter. A bit dissapointing realizing you're not hitting it as far as you thought you would when you get on the course though.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist TS3 8.5 deg. - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange (V3) 70TX[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 915F 3 Wood - GD AD DI 8X[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 915H 2H & 4H - UST Attas International 100X[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon 765 5i-6i - Nippon Modus 120X[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon 965 7i-9i - Nippon Modus 120X[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX4 Raw 46 deg. - TI S400[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura K-grind 50 deg. - Nippon Modus 120S[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Wedgeworks SM6 54 and 58 deg. - TI S400[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Byron Morgan 612 GSS [/font]
    trumb1mj1 wrote:

Saw too late you had already figured ot out image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> As I posted earlier it seems as if the baseball mode is closer to real numbers though, but comparing to previous results and tracking progress it obviously doesn't really matter. A bit dissapointing realizing you're not hitting it as far as you thought you would when you get on the course though.

Yeah for sure. But it would explain dropping 10 mph in like 3 weeks.
    TM '16 M2 10.5*
    Diamana Blueboard 63g
    TM '16 M1 15*
    Diamana Blueboard 83g
    TM RBZ 19*
    Diamana Blueboard 83g
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 4i
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    Srixon 565 5i
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    Srixon 765 6-PW
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    Bettinardi Studio #28
  • Trap JuniorTrap Junior Posts: 778 ✭✭
    I have tinkered with speed training but it tends to mess up your swing technique which kind of defeats the benefits
  • DoppelgangerDoppelganger Members Posts: 834
    It's had literally 0 negative impact on my technique. All I see in my bi-weekly swing videos for the last few months is steady improvement.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Members Posts: 1,481 ✭✭

I have tinkered with speed training but it tends to mess up your swing technique which kind of defeats the benefits

Refining your swing technique is the whole point of doing overspeed training.
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125msi 60 TX
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
    Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
    Titleist 716 AP2 Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM4 50/54/58 Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Futura 6M
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
    Titleist AVX
    Bushnell Tour Z6
  • ofortunaofortuna Members Posts: 406
    If you practice swinging fast with zero clubface awareness, when you go to hit a ball straight, you won't be able to apply the same swing. That's the part of this "training" that is implied but missing from the instruction. You need to take your driver swing that will deliver a square clubface, then swing that way with the sticks to improve speed.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Members Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    With the overspeed training I have videos of hitting 125mph with the blue club and can consistently hit 115-117mph. Hitting balls with my driver I can only hit 107-111 and be under control with my driver. This is up from 103-105mph from last year.
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125msi 60 TX
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
    Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
    Titleist 716 AP2 Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM4 50/54/58 Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Futura 6M
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
    Titleist AVX
    Bushnell Tour Z6
  • Bought this a few months back, have to say it's the best training aid i've had in relation to improving my golf overall, distance has improved on course, not a clue about numbers, but real life situations have me hitting a club or two less into greens, sometimes more!

The bad bits are that it isn't an enjoyable workout, i don't look forward to doing this practice, but it does help me in areas so it's like all workouts, you see the results and live with the pain. I do have to work the irons a bit after to get back online with hitting down on them, as SS is all about driver that should have been obvious. I've now got that down pretty well though, a few balls feeling centred on the backswing and with proper tilt works.

The biggest help this system gave me, which may or may not relate to others, is that i have always been a bit of a defensive woods player, i would swing them at 70% just to guide them up the fairway, with SS it's let me train to just hit them without trying to limit my speed. I would echo what is said above as well about face angles / release, i can see how swinging out of your socks might make clubface control an issue due to tension or being handsy, again that's where you go to the range to hone it, as the SS system is just one area of practice.
  • DLiverDLiver Members Posts: 2,592 ✭✭
    edited Jul 8, 2017 #432
    After doing this program off and on for a few months with some homemade "clubs," I decided to get serious and buy the actual program. Yesterday I had my first true SSG workout and I was surprised at how different the SSG sticks feel than my homemade ones, even though they are very similar in overall weight.

I plan to stick with the 3 ti/wk program and see how it goes.

FWIW, I don't find that this kind of training affects my normal golf swing at all. It just somehow makes it faster without any additional effort. YMMV.
  • The Chicken ConnoisseurThe Chicken Connoisseur The Pengest Munch Banned Posts: 3,732
    DLiver wrote:

After doing this program off and on for a few months with some homemade "clubs," I decided to get serious and buy the actual program. Yesterday I had my first true SSG workout and I was surprised at how different the SSG sticks feel than my homemade ones, even though they are very similar in overall weight.

I plan to stick with the 3 ti/wk program and see how it goes.

FWIW, I don't find that this kind of training affects my normal golf swing at all. It just somehow makes it faster without any additional effort. YMMV.

How are they different? I'm building my homemade ones soon and want them to be as close
    The Superspeed clubs feel heavier/harder to swing, which is probably due to a difference in swingweight. Unfortunately I am away from home for the summer, which means I don't have access to to my regular scale or my swingweight scale. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    I have been doing a modified version of the Super Speed program. I use the lightweight club for 5 swing as hard as I can. Then I grab an empty driver shaft (no weight or head) and do 5 right hand, 5 left hand and 5 two hand. Then I grab my driver and hit 5 balls as hard as I can. My progress has been steady and I had my first monumental breakthrough today. Unfortunately I did not start recording my numbers each session from the beginning but I started at 105 MPH this Spring. Here are my recorded averages and highs:

6/27: 112 average, 116 high

7/2: 113 average, 117 high

7/9: 113 average, 118 high

7/22: 117 average, 122 high

My goal at the beginning was to average 125 and over 160 MPH of ballspeed (skytrak). These goals seemed unrealistic at first (20 MPH club head speed gain) but I'm over half way there so we'll see!
    TM '16 M2 10.5*
    Diamana Blueboard 63g
    TM '16 M1 15*
    Diamana Blueboard 83g
    TM RBZ 19*
    Diamana Blueboard 83g
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 4i
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    Srixon 565 5i
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    Srixon 765 6-PW
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    Modus3 Tour 120S
    Bettinardi Studio #28
  • gogo29732gogo29732 Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Listened to a podcast recently with the guys from Super Speed so pulled the trigger and just picked up the Super Speed set...plan on training along side my 14 yr old son. Swing speed before is avg 102 on Trackman, but running about the same on the SSR without hitting a ball, (for some reason I get higher readings from the SSR when actually hitting a ball). Goal would be to get to 108-110 with driver. Will try and post results on the thread...
    In March I began doing this program off and on with some homemade sticks. I tracked my top speeds and saw a gradual increase in my speeds, although I would sometimes increase and sometimes fall back. For a variety of reasons, I stopped doing the workouts. In July I bought a set of actual superspeed golf sticks, and started using them every other day (mostly). As I mentioned above, the "real" sticks were harder to swing fast than my homemade sticks, even though the weights were identical. I have been tracking my speeds, and have been seeing a constant, steady increase in speed. I am up about 5 mph in four weeks. I plan to stay with this for at least six months and see where I am. It is one of the more effective things I have done to improve my golf game.
  • ALTSeanALTSean VirginiaMembers Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    Any current discounts on the superspeed sticks? I saw that the code "pga" gets you 10% off, but then shipping is almost $30 so you're still at $300 for the sticks plus the SSR. Any better prices out there?
    I got mine on eBay for 199 including shipping.
    DLiver wrote:

Did that include the swing speed radar plus the 3 clubs? And it was new or used? Thanks!
    ALTSean wrote:

DLiver wrote:

Did that include the swing speed radar plus the 3 clubs? And it was new or used? Thanks!

It was a new set, but it did not include the SSR.
    DLiver wrote:

ALTSean wrote:

DLiver wrote:

It was a new set, but it did not include the SSR.

Ok, thanks for the info!
  • CwingCwing Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭
    I don't do mine consistently enough. I found that without a proper warmup this can cause elbow issues. Doing a proper warm up adds time so I'm only averaging 2-4x a month. That stated, I've definitely gained some distance. I'm not sure how much is the SS training or the new driver but I've also gained so iron distance. My full SW (54*) use to be 95. It is now 105 yds.
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • Ray JacksonRay Jackson Members Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Have people got through the introductory session and on to the first protocol, swinging while kneeling? I understand the theory of getting the arms used to moving fast while lower body static and used to resisting, but are people seeing the swing speed increase after this phase?

I do other cable/band based lower body static "resisting" exercises as part of my TPI type workout in the gym.
  • deathbymuffindeathbymuffin Members Posts: 519 ✭✭

Have people got through the introductory session and on to the first protocol, swinging while kneeling? I understand the theory of getting the arms used to moving fast while lower body static and used to resisting, but are people seeing the swing speed increase after this phase?

I do other cable/band based lower body static "resisting" exercises as part of my TPI type workout in the gym.

I didn't see any gains from adding the kneeling swings. It just tired me out to the point of dreading the workout and I think they threw off my sequencing. My ballstriking started backsliding as soon as I added the kneeling swings. I've taken about 6 weeks off from the overspeed training to work on my mechanics. I've lost probably half of my original distance gains in that time. I went from around 105 to 116mph and now I'm back around 110mph. I plan to restart the program again in the next few weeks.

• Have people got through the introductory session and on to the first protocol, swinging while kneeling? I understand the theory of getting the arms used to moving fast while lower body static and used to resisting, but are people seeing the swing speed increase after this phase?

I struggle a bit with this one due to a bad knee and a garden that's not really set up for that type of swing!

Not sure if it does anything over and above other drills, i swapped it out with a feet together drill, or left/right foot back drill to restrict the lower half, but able to stand up.
  • Ray JacksonRay Jackson Members Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Just finished up the holiday weekend yesterday with fourth round in four days. Then tried to complete my superspeed workout tonight, wow was that tough.

Full respect for the work these pros do on there bodies to play 5-6 days a week, practice and travel.
  • toys4tots16toys4tots16 Members Posts: 310 ✭✭
    I'm finally getting around to showing off my set of overspeed training sticks. What do you think?

• deathbymuffindeathbymuffin Members Posts: 519 ✭✭
    They look great. How are they working out for you?
  • toys4tots16toys4tots16 Members Posts: 310 ✭✭
    Really well. I've picked up ~10 yards since I started using them, but winter up here means I'm not doing it as often as I should
  • loneacerloneacer Members Posts: 34 ✭✭
    For those wanting to pick these up and save some cash, eBay has a 20% off coupon through 11/20. Just got mine for $167 shipped. Coupon is PSHOPEARLY

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file