We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

12 clubs?

ago33 ·  
ago33ago33  2199Members Posts: 2,199
I've been tinkering with my setup and have been thinking I don't like a lot of clubs at the top of my bag or at the bottom so I'm thinking

Driver

4 wood

21 hybrid

5-9

46-52-58

Putter

Anyone try this? If so, what did you think of it and how did it work
Posted:
Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master

Comments

• BuzzkillBuzzkill  6970Marshals Posts: 6,970
    I've been playing with 9 clubs with no scoring issues. I'm thinking about adding another hybrid since I have a big gap between my other hybrid and 5 iron.
    Posted:
    WITSMB - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • md_mcewenmd_mcewen  138Members Posts: 138
    I play pretty much exact set up (srixon 745 pw instead of separate wedge) seems like less questions on the tee and around the green. Just made more sense to me.
    Posted:
    Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5*
    Adams Tight lies 16*
    Ping G30 19*
    Srixon Z745 5-PW KBS c-taper 120
    Mack Daddy3 52S & 58C TT wedge shaft
    Seemore Si-4 (34") Superstroke 1.0 Flatso
  • Tommy56Tommy56  477Members Posts: 477
    Have never carried more than 12 clubs, and have gradually been working my way to a more minimalist bag ... using between 7 and 9 clubs for the last several months. As md stated above, it certainly simplifies club selection.
    Posted:
    Minimalist:  917D2 / 816H1 / 716AP2 5, 7, 9 / SM7 48, 54 / Futura 5.5M
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, Canada 7876Members Posts: 7,876
    Going 3w, 5-pw, 56*, putter this yr. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    In the bag:

Demoing for 2020.

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • ajschn06ajschn06  2398Banned Posts: 2,398
    ago33 wrote:

I've been tinkering with my setup and have been thinking I don't like a lot of clubs at the top of my bag or at the bottom so I'm thinking

Driver

4 wood

21 hybrid

5-9

46-52-58

Putter

I think anyone can easily do 12 clubs without having an adverse effect on scoring. I go:

Driver

16.5 fwy

21 hybrid

5 iron (26)- pw (45)

50 and 58 wedges

I'm not missing anything
    Posted:
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan...  7974Members Posts: 7,974
    I've played 13 forever. Could easily go 12 if I wanted.
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow

Advertisement
  • drn92drn92  1808Members Posts: 1,808
    I played 8-9 clubs last year and flipped between 4 different sets. My handicap went down by half a stroke. I am not sure if I should be excited about that or not.

drn92
    Posted:
  • 9woodfan9woodfan  1470Members Posts: 1,470
    I easily play 12... sometimes 13... sometimes 14 but that's putting the Ping Chip-O in the bag for fun.

I'm working on Bag B which will be 8 clubs. I've been out a few times with it and hasn't made a lick of difference to my scores.

D, 5w, 4h, 6-SW, LW, P and D, 7w, 5h, 7-9-G, 60.

Driver and 5 wood in Bag A is 45" and 42.5"... Bag B driver is 42 1/4" and 7 wood is 41"... just as an experiment.
    Posted:

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Vessel Sunday Bag
    Driver: Ping G400 SFT @ 10*
    Wood: Cobra King F8 @ 17*
    Hybrids: Cobra King F8 22* & 25*
    Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
    Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
    Putter: SGC WB Northwood
    Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

• Champ2013Champ2013  5Members Posts: 5
    I'm gaming:

Driver

3-4W

4-5h

6-PW

SW

Putter

12 clubs for me this year. Fits the budget and simplifies the game.
    Posted:
  • stryperstryper  3301Members Posts: 3,301
    Have 13 in the bag right now, but could easily leave the 3w at home and not miss a beat. I only keep the 3w, as a matter of principal...I will master that beast.
    Posted:
    Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7
  • 1970.gpp1970.gpp  1813Unregistered Posts: 1,813
    ago33 wrote:

Driver

4 wood

21 hybrid

5-9

46-52-58

Putter

Check out this thread: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1119631-minimalist-thread-bag-set-up-theory/page__st__90__p__14972366__hl__+minimalist#entry14972366
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • IsleOfManIsleOfMan  2309Members Posts: 2,309
    I could easily play with the OP's 12 club setup... I basically do in my backup/walking bag, except Pw/50/54 and a 49* utility wedge (niblick) makes 13. For awhile my walking set was also a short set that was 3w/3h/5i/7i/9i/Sw/Putter and I could the 4h was probably the club I missed most, but mostly because I didn't hit that particular 3h all that well.
    Posted:
    Cobra King F8+ Driver 10.5* | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S
    Cobra King F8 3/4w 14.5* | Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S
    Cobra King F8 5/6w 17.5* | Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font] 4h 22* | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S
    Cobra Bio Cell + 5i - Gw | TT Dynalite Gold XP S300
    Cobra King WideLow 56* & 60* | TT Dynamic Gold S200
    Cleveland TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB Putter | 35" Counterbalance
    Ogio OZone Cart | Ogio Shredder Stand | Orlimar Pitch & Putt Stand
  • CLH1233CLH1233  1Members Posts: 1
    I roll with 12.

Driver

3W

3H

5-PW

51, 58

Putter
    Posted:
  • jslane57jslane57  3929Members Posts: 3,929
    Why not? That set up looks good to me. Easier to carry, and less decisions for those tricky moments.
    Posted:
  • Andrew Bond of GlencoeAndrew Bond of Glencoe  652Members Posts: 652
    One of my all-time favorite quotes from the great Bobby Jones and please forgive me if this is not exact.

Around 1930 and shortly after Bobby Jones won the Grand Slam using between 14-15 clubs a golf writer asked Jones how he felt about using 14 clubs in his bag when Chick Evans won the 1916 US Open using only 7.

Bob's reply:

"Its better to be a master of 7 clubs than vaguely familiar with 14."

Brilliant!
    Posted:
  • pingman_24pingman_24  214Members Posts: 214
    I play with 12 in the bag:

12 degree driver

18 degree 5 wood

23 degree hybrid

27 degree hybrid

7 iron (30.5) all the way to lob wedge.

Putter.

I used to carry a 3 wood but found it would go about the same as the 5 wood. Same with the 20 degree hybrid I carried, it went the same as the 23 hybrid so I dropped the 3 wood and 20 hybrid and went the the shorter shafted club which was the 5 wood and 23 hybrid.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5° Alta CB
    Ping G 5 Wood 17.5° Alta CB
    Ping Karsten Hybrid 19° and 22° KS401
    Ping Karsten 5-SW KS401
    Ping Glide 2.0 WS 60° KS401
    Ping Sigma G Kushin

Advertisement
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3492Members Posts: 3,492
    My only issue with these bags is that they seem to be missing the ability to do one thing: hit a bit very low and very hard.

I have a hard time hitting a modern wood and/or a modern hybrid low with significant speed (they are built and designed to launch the ball into the air).

I basically play with 12 clubs (see signature) and it looks a lot like y'alls bag, except I don't like hybrids. However two key exceptions: I use a 17* 3 iron so I can get out of trees a long, long way (210+ ground balls if needed) and I can hti it off the tee but keep it extremely low into a significant wind. I also play both a 55 and a 58 simply because I like a K grind around the green but not on a full swing, but that isn't strictly necessary.

I'm not sure its effective to play your first club capable of hitting a low ball at around 26*. In the wind, especially up north when its cold, that is going to make holes into the wind a way longer and its going to make being in the trees say 180 out a wasted stroke (when sometimes you can punch all the way to the green complex).

Now, if you guys can reliably hit a scorching grounder with a modern hybrid or wood, I see nothing wrong with it. I can't do that. I either have to lay off it or it goes up, so I think that would be a significant gap. I can hood my 3 deep 3 and hit it pretty low but it still gets up there and will get killed into the wind, at least here (that wind comes roaring off the gulf and if you don't have a low bullet shot its hard to play some holes).
    Posted:
    Ping g30 driver, Tight Lies 3 wood
    910H 19*, Hi-Bore Hybrid 24*
    j40 DPC 5-PW x100
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60
    Edel Putter
  • mlp021mlp021  463Members Posts: 463
    I walked the course yesterday with 10 clubs and scored the best round of the year. It just eliminates (around the greens) some guess work. It simplified my decisions and I was rewarded for it. Now, if I can just get myself to take the same clubs with me next time I play a round in a cart.
    Posted:
    Driver: Titleist TS2 - Stiff
    Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hotmetal Pro - Project X LZ
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 4 - 50* 54* 58*
    Putter - Odyssey Mini Jailbird
    mlp021 wrote:

I walked the course yesterday with 10 clubs and scored the best round of the year. It just eliminates (around the greens) some guess work. It simplified my decisions and I was rewarded for it. Now, if I can just get myself to take the same clubs with me next time I play a round in a cart.

Reminds me of when a football team simplifies its playbook due to its QB. The Ravens won a super bowl doing just this exact thing.

I think not carrying clubs is kinda silly - there is no way there is no club in the world that could help you, even if its something silly like a chipper or one of those automatic bunker wedges - but simplifying your choices can be really powerful, although counter-intuitive. For a long time I carried two drivers and no lob wedge. The second driver (an 8*, 46" double-X flex high balance point monster) almost never came out but it did on some absolutely wide open holes. I think there is huge merit to what you are saying in terms of simplification in that part of the bag, but I doubt that 10 clubs is optimal - there is some club somewhere that would help you do something, even if its just one shot (like a PM for deep rough lob shots, for example).
    Posted:
    j40 DPC 5-PW x100
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60
    Edel Putter
  • mlp021mlp021  463Members Posts: 463

mlp021 wrote:

Reminds me of when a football team simplifies its playbook due to its QB. The Ravens won a super bowl doing just this exact thing.

I think not carrying clubs is kinda silly - there is no way there is no club in the world that could help you, even if its something silly like a chipper or one of those automatic bunker wedges - but simplifying your choices can be really powerful, although counter-intuitive. For a long time I carried two drivers and no lob wedge. The second driver (an 8*, 46" double-X flex high balance point monster) almost never came out but it did on some absolutely wide open holes. I think there is huge merit to what you are saying in terms of simplification in that part of the bag, but I doubt that 10 clubs is optimal - there is some club somewhere that would help you do something, even if its just one shot (like a PM for deep rough lob shots, for example).

Maybe you're right. But, the course I play is pretty much dead FLAT. What not having all the wedges in the world did for me, was instead of getting cute with a soft high pitch, I instead used a lower lofted iron and got the ball running to the hole. Just reinforced (to me) what I should be doing way more often.

I never had more than a seven iron into a par 4 and the par fives, without having a fairway wood in the bag and trying to hit the ball as far as possible...I hit an iron for a specific distance into the green. It made me play "smart" golf.

Oh, and carrying 10 clubs made my back happier at the end of the round.
    Posted:
    Driver: Titleist TS2 - Stiff
    Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hotmetal Pro - Project X LZ
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 4 - 50* 54* 58*
    Putter - Odyssey Mini Jailbird
  • eldog-in-the-hizouseeldog-in-the-hizouse  962Members Posts: 962
    Yup! Been 12 for several years. Driver, 3w, hybrid, 5-PW, 52, 58, P. Don't need anything else.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • 2bGood2bGood  5328Members Posts: 5,328
    I have messed around with this and do well with a bag that has:

Driver

19 degree utility

4-pw

54*

58*

putter.

My 14 cub bag is:

Driver

3 wood

19 degree utility

4-pw

52*

56*

60*

putter.
    Posted:
  • Scottie68Scottie68  803Members Posts: 803
    Just looking to see if I'm missing something playing 14 clubs, but every club in my bag has a purpose (so no confusion), and even though I dont use every club every round, I hate to have a shot and not have the "right" club (right for me).

Posted:
    Scottie68 wrote:

Just looking to see if I'm missing something playing 14 clubs, but every club in my bag has a purpose (so no confusion), and even though I dont use every club every round, I hate to have a shot and not have the "right" club (right for me).
    Yeah, you're kind of missing something. Every one of the 12 clubs has a purpose as well. For those playing 7 clubs, each of those clubs has a purpose as well. If rules were changed and 18 clubs were allowed, you'd quickly feel like you were missing something with just 14 clubs. If you plan your way around a course, knowing what clubs you've got and what they do, you're not missing anything...other than a sore shoulder:)
    Posted:
  • Scottie68Scottie68  803Members Posts: 803
    jslane57 wrote:
    Scottie68 wrote:

Yeah, you're kind of missing something. Every one of the 12 clubs has a purpose as well. For those playing 7 clubs, each of those clubs has a purpose as well. If rules were changed and 18 clubs were allowed, you'd quickly feel like you were missing something with just 14 clubs. If you plan your way around a course, knowing what clubs you've got and what they do, you're not missing anything...other than a sore shoulder:)

Not sure I'm missing anything.... the rules call for 14, I cover certain yardages with certain gaps (where some have said less clubs have simplified their game, and improved their score). Less clubs to me would mean less coverage with stock swings, which is not for me.

As far as being planned, I'd most likely be within the top 10 most planned golfers you ever met, but things don't always go as planned!
    Posted:
  • islandgolfer17islandgolfer17  31Members Posts: 31
    When I'm struggling I go out and play with 4-6 clubs. Makes me focus on each shot and I can get creative with it, not just stock shots
    Posted:

Advertisement
    ago33 wrote:

Driver

4 wood

21 hybrid

5-9

46-52-58

Putter

How do you hit a low screamer out of the trees?

It seems fine, if the courses you play don't have woods. Otherwise I think that shot is missing.
    Posted:
    j40 DPC 5-PW x100
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60
    Edel Putter
    mlp021 wrote:

mlp021 wrote:

Maybe you're right. But, the course I play is pretty much dead FLAT. What not having all the wedges in the world did for me, was instead of getting cute with a soft high pitch, I instead used a lower lofted iron and got the ball running to the hole. Just reinforced (to me) what I should be doing way more often.

I never had more than a seven iron into a par 4 and the par fives, without having a fairway wood in the bag and trying to hit the ball as far as possible...I hit an iron for a specific distance into the green. It made me play "smart" golf.

Oh, and carrying 10 clubs made my back happier at the end of the round.

I'll just leave this here. If you think laying up to a specific yardage is "smart golf" you should read this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Every-Shot-Counts-Revolutionary-Performance/dp/1592407501

Posted:
    j40 DPC 5-PW x100
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60
    Edel Putter
  • C-radC-rad  2667Members Posts: 2,667
    I did play with 12 all long the last season.

Driver

2hybrid

4hybrid

5-pw

50-56

Putter

This year im changing my wedge to a 51-57. With different bounces. Know my game better now. But when i dont carry and use mu push cart, i throw my 4 wood in there and my new toy: a 62*
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Advertisement
    I see that there are a few folks out there that think gaming anything less than 14 is fool's talk. And they're happy to tell anyone interested in playing less exactly about it. If you've figured that for your game you play better with less, good for you! Why would a person carry clubs that they don't hit well? If you score the same with fewer clubs, and that allows you to carry your bag on your shoulder rather than riding or using a push cart, good for you! If you enjoy golf, you're winning at life!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.