Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Golf Galaxy closing up shop in Towson (Maryland). Nothing left around these parts.

rainkingjrrainkingjr Members Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
Found out the other day that the Golf Galaxy in Towson is closing down on October 1. Apparently the shopping center doubled their lease and they have no plans at this point to relocate. Closest store to me now will be all the way down in Columbia (over 30 miles away). I can't begin to tell you how much this sucks. Just a few years ago I had a Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy and a local brick and mortar store to choose from all within 4 miles of my house. Now I am left with golf courses ( which stock next to nothing and don't have monitors) and DIcks which is an absoulte no go for me. The DSG's around here have terrible Golf sections. I guess this will be one way to get me to stop club ho'ing so much.

Comments

• rbj69rbj69 Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well i guess look at it like this you had many choices longer than me, i never had anything near me, the closest was always an hour from me, but I'm sort yif glad lol
    Taylormade M16 with Matrix green maru shaft
    Callaway Rogue 3 wd with blue evnflow shaft
    Callaway Rogue 3hybrid with aldila synergy shaft
    4-pw Srixon Z585\Z785 combo with $ taper shafts
    Cleveland 50 cbx wedge
    Cleveland 56 cbx wedge
    Odyssey stability 1Wide
    Evnroll 1.2 Blacked out
    Cleveland Huntington Soft 11 CS blacked out
    Balls 19'Srixon Zstar xv and Zstar and others
  • snoilr1snoilr1 Members Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Golf Galaxy is owned by Dicks. You might see a big improvement in Dicks golf section once Golf Galaxy closes.
    Titleist 913 D3
    R7 Steel 16Deg 4W
    RBZ 19.5Deg 3H
    Srixon Z745 5-P
    SM6 50.12F
    SM1 54.14, 58.08
    ProPlatinum mid-slant
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard you can buy golf stuff online.

X________________________________
    Sign Here

• hobbes928hobbes928 Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭
    Now you know what it feels like to be lefty.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 6, 2018 #6
    Seems as though the brick and mortars are going the way of the dinosaurs. Fewer and fewer choices these days. We have one nice shop and range left (Windmill Lakes Fitting Ctr) on the eastside of Cleveland and that's it. Without this site the next closest decent shop is in Akron, Ohio. Keep in mind we are a heavily populated area as well. Seems as though the rents continue to drive these businesses out of dodge.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in the tourist/golf capital and the local GG is always pretty dead. Within the same 3-mile square we have GG, Edwin Watts, PGATSS, a few small biz stores, and none of them are ever 'busy'. Edwin Watts is probably the most busy I've seen of any of them, due to all the used club bins they have.
  • Rapatt95Rapatt95 wow Members Posts: 570 ✭✭
    Sounds like the perfect opportunity to open your own place!
    Titleist 909d3 Diamana Blue 60s
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 18* 5w Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Titleist 913h 19* Diamana Blue 82h s+ 
    Ben Hogan PTx 22*-34* C-Taper Lite 115x (Thank you GolfWRX and Ben Hogan!)
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 37*-45* C-Taper Lite 115x
    Ping Glide Forged 50* DG TI S400 (Thank you GolfWRX and Ping!)
    TM TP ATV 54* KBS Tour-V Wedge
    Vokey SM5 58* DG Wedge
    Ping 1959 B60
  • USGA22USGA22 Members Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    I was just there Saturday; no one said anything; I’m really hoping pga superstore comes to the area
  • AC in TXAC in TX Members Posts: 729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We used to have 2 Golfsmith's (including HQ), a Golf Galaxy, and an Edwin Watts ... now we just have a Golf Galaxy that used to be the newer Golfsmith store (the others are gone).

I do my ho'ing here and on CPO - my favorite for used Ping clubs (other brands - wait for the 20% or 25% off sales) ...
    The Ping Hoofer 14 bag:
    Driver - Ping G-400 @ 11.5*
    Fairway - Ping G-400 @ 16.5*
    Hybrid - Ping G-400 19*
    Irons - Ping G-700 4 to SW
    Wedge - Ping Glide 60 SS
    Putter - Scotty Circa 62 No. 6 33"
  • wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    rainkingjr wrote:

Found out the other day that the Golf Galaxy in Towson is closing down on October 1. Apparently the shopping center doubled their lease and they have no plans at this point to relocate. Closest store to me now will be all the way down in Columbia (over 30 miles away). I can't begin to tell you how much this sucks. Just a few years ago I had a Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy and a local brick and mortar store to choose from all within 4 miles of my house. Now I am left with golf courses ( which stock next to nothing and don't have monitors) and DIcks which is an absoulte no go for me. The DSG's around here have terrible Golf sections. I guess this will be one way to get me to stop club ho'ing so much.

Did you buy a lot of clubs at Golf Galaxy?
  • golfnhackgolfnhack Members Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I lived in Towson for 1.5 years. Actually love that area. This was back in 2001 though. Sad to hear.
    "Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones
  • MooJerseyMooJersey MarylandMembers Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any going out of business sale?
    Cobra F8+ Driver / HZRDUS Smoke
    Cobra F8 3W / Aldila NV 2KXV Blue
    Titleist 718 AP2 3-PW
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 50.08F
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 54.08M
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 60.04L
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

• Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    USGA22 wrote:
    I was just there Saturday; no one said anything; I’m really hoping pga superstore comes to the area

I've been saying for years we need a PGASS in this area. Their business development people must be a lot smarter than me.

But I don't see hoe one in either the Balt or Annapolis area could fail. Perhaps Arundel Mills area. As centrally located as you can get.
    Titleist TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr Flex
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 
    PING G700 6-W KBS Alta CB R
    Vokey  50.10, 54.10 58..12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 

• LowRGLowRG Members Posts: 58
    I know its a bit further, but the GG up in Christiana is a thousand times better than the one in Towson. That being said, its still a GG so, there's that. Decent used selection and the work I've had them do has turned out well. Plus, no tax.
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Rogue Subzero[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Vapor Fly 15[/font][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]°[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]p790 UDI[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Vapor Pro 4-PW[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Haywood 52[/font][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]°[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PM Grind 58[/font][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]°[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Bettinardi BB1F (2016)[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]ChromeSoft X[/font]
  • kobe882kobe882 Members Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 hour drive is the closest for me. You are lucky.
  • bubbagumpbubbagump SLDR $5000 Challenge The EmpireMembers Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody really buy clubs at Golf Galaxy anymore? I go in there sparingly to poke around at their terrible used section, and just look at things in hand Id never buy there. Every 6months or so Ill buy grip tape there, but I can't think of the last time I actually bought something of substance at a GG.
    8.5* Ping G400 LST with TS Speeder 7.2
    12* SLDR Mini with TS Speeder 7.2
    17* Ping G400 with TS Speeder 9.8
    19* Mizuno MP18 FLI HI with KBS C-taper
    5-GW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged with KBS C-taper
    60* Cleveland RTX-3 CB with KBS C-taper

Toulon Atlanta
    bubbagump wrote:
    Does anybody really buy clubs at Golf Galaxy anymore? I go in there sparingly to poke around at their terrible used section, and just look at things in hand Id never buy there. Every 6months or so Ill buy grip tape there, but I can't think of the last time I actually bought something of substance at a GG.

So much this. Maybe a bag of tees on occasion but thsts it.
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 

• nattybohknowsnattybohknows Members Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭
    I only went to the Towson store a few times but it was head and shoulders above the Elkridge one (I despise it really) but being I live and work near Elkridge it’s a bit of a hike to get up there.

I don’t think many people buy clubs anymore at GG and prob it’s more for using their hitting bays (I don’t often since there’s only two there and I don’t plan on buying their clubs) but I have do get tees and hats up there and have gotten things regripped and cut.

There is still a value for brick and mortar stores but there used club prices are crazy and most shoppers won’t pay retail.
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard you can buy golf stuff online.
    and one of the reason some brick and mortar stores can't make a go of it anymore.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't been in a DSG or GG in a while and don't plan to ever...it's a 2A thing.

PGA Superstore is the only golf shop been in lately, just to snoop around mostly, as they do have pretty much everything you can think of golf related.

When I was a devout Club Ho, I'd usually buy on the web, or BST forums.

As OP said, one way to slow or stop Ho'ing. When I think back to all the money spent Ho'ing I just keep thinking, Porsche.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • aiyyeraiyyer Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The GG In Rockville closed and nothing in a great golf market other than DSG.

And DSG did not get better!!

• YepyukonYepyukon Hinge + Hold Members Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny. People talk about buying online and then complain that the stores don't have a great selection...well yeah, they know you are just going to buy online so why clutter the building with stuff people are just going to mess around with and damage/use so they have to then mark them down. That is like complaining the cop gave you a ticket for speeding.
    Srixon 785 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion
    Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
    Srixon ZU85 18* w/ Diamana WB
    Srixon ZU85 22* w/ AxivCore Blue
    Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
    Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
    Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
    Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
    Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow
    Yepyukon wrote:
    It's funny. People talk about buying online and then complain that the stores don't have a great selection...well yeah, they know you are just going to buy online so why clutter the building with stuff people are just going to mess around with and damage/use so they have to then mark them down. That is like complaining the cop gave you a ticket for speeding.

To a large degree you have a point. However you have realize, as large as WRX and **** and THP are still combined they make up a very small percentage of the golf population.

We have seen our sales at our course more than triple in the past two years. Mainly due to closures of the above stores and us having several demo days with most of the OEM's. Some on multiple occasions.

But the average Joe consumer who gets his info from Golf Digest and watching what the tour guys on TV still go to retail stores to buy in a lot of cases.
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 

• ghostriderghostrider Members Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    hobbes928 wrote:

Now you know what it feels like to be lefty.

When GG closed in Austin in 2010 I made out very well as a lefty. Early in the closing I grabbed Odyssey putters for 40 bucks or so and still may have some of the dollar golf gloves lying around. I am also still wearing one or two golf shirts from that sale
  • tdogg21tdogg21 Members Posts: 116
    I'm an hour and a half from Towson and it's the closest golf store to me. Honestly I use to stop at that one and the one in Columbia when I would be in the area for work. I tried hard to find things to buy but I just couldn't do it. When the prices aren't even close to what I can get online, there is no point. I've found that smaller stores and some courses are much better with their pricing. They are realistic and I'll pay a little more to support a local business, just not double. It's like the big stores don't know about the internet.
  • zRabbitzRabbit Automaton Members Posts: 19
    There are some nice people working there and my club's assistant pro swears that their techs do better work than the local small independent shop (questionable), but I won't miss that store. They lost a full-bag refreshes from me a couple of years ago because they couldn't or wouldn't keep some of their demo stuff in playable order.

Best case, the Hunt Valley DSG goes from abysmal to half-way decent, but I'm not holding my breath. I miss theTimonium GolfSmith a lot more than I will ever miss GG.
    Ping G 9 degree, Ping Tour 65X
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta, 16 degree, Matrix Exotics White Tie 5X3.1
    Bridgestone J33 19 degree, Aldila VS Proto S
    Ping iE1, 4-PW, C-Taper 120S
    Ping Glide, 50SS, 55SS, 60ES, C-Taper 120S
    Rife Mr. Beasley
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have 3 PGASS within an hour of where I live in DFW. They are better than any big box golf store I’ve been in. All 3 stores have “Now Hiring” signs all over them and I’ve read they plan on expanding throughout the country. Maybe you will get one. I buy gear from The PGA store but my clubs from Dallas Golf. Ok, and the BST and EBay.

I know one thing, if a golf store fails near me it won’t be my fault image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    2016 TaylorMade M2 w/ Ventus 6s
    Titleist TS2 w/ Evenflow White
    Titleist H1 816 w/ Diamana Blueboard
    Srixon z745
    Titleist SM7 Raw 50/56*
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60*
    TaylorMade Spider X
  • Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    CaseyDan wrote:

We have 3 PGASS within an hour of where I live in DFW. They are better than any big box golf store I've been in. All 3 stores have "Now Hiring" signs all over them and I've read they plan on expanding throughout the country. Maybe you will get one. I buy gear from The PGA store but my clubs from Dallas Golf. Ok, and the BST and EBay.

I know one thing, if a golf store fails near me it won't be my fault image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

If no one buys clubs there it will undoubtedly fail.
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
    Ping G400 7w/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 4h/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 5 Crossover/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 5-U/Alta CB r flex
    Ping Glide ES 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
    tdogg21 wrote:

I'm an hour and a half from Towson and it's the closest golf store to me. Honestly I use to stop at that one and the one in Columbia when I would be in the area for work. I tried hard to find things to buy but I just couldn't do it. When the prices aren't even close to what I can get online, there is no point. I've found that smaller stores and some courses are much better with their pricing. They are realistic and I'll pay a little more to support a local business, just not double. It's like the big stores don't know about the internet.

Yes...there club tech(s) were very good. One of them was actually a member here, can't remember his name, but he did a couple things for me several years ago and it was very well done. He knew his stuff.
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 

• ATAlxndrATAlxndr RHL Members Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad9 wrote:
    CaseyDan wrote:

We have 3 PGASS within an hour of where I live in DFW. They are better than any big box golf store I've been in. All 3 stores have "Now Hiring" signs all over them and I've read they plan on expanding throughout the country. Maybe you will get one. I buy gear from The PGA store but my clubs from Dallas Golf. Ok, and the BST and EBay.

I know one thing, if a golf store fails near me it won't be my fault image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

If no one buys clubs there it will undoubtedly fail.

All 3 of the DFW stores bring in more than 10 million a year each. 1 particular DFW location is always in the top 3 in sales for our company every year.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* - 6M3 Black Tie 6X
    Ping G400 16.5* - MRC D+ LTD 80X
    Ping Rapture DI - DG TI AMT S400
    Ping iBlade 3i - DG TI S400 
    Ping Blueprint 4-P - DG TI S400
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 Raw 50*,54*, 58* - DG TI S400
    Ping Redwood Anser

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file