Honma Tour World (TW) Clubs

13»

Comments

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,545 ✭✭

@flushem said:

@third-times-a-charm said:
    Had a Honma demo day at the club range two weeks ago and I was surprised. The new 460 driver was very nice, and the 747vx forged irons were also great. Nice feel, sound, and performance.

Although, not enough performance to kick my CF16 out of the bag yet.

c'mon. look at VX. they are such beauty to look at. IMO, my V irons are even better.

Like I said, I like them a lot. If I could find a 4-PW set like new for 4-500$ I would buy them. Not going to pay $900 though.

Unfortunately Honma distribution is just very bad right now. Only one store near me (edwin watts) carries them and I never see used clubs for sale for a price I am willing to pay.

Long Live Nike
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,631 ✭✭

@flushem said:

Had a Honma demo day at the club range two weeks ago and I was surprised. The new 460 driver was very nice, and the 747vx forged irons were also great. Nice feel, sound, and performance.

Although, not enough performance to kick my CF16 out of the bag yet.

c'mon. look at VX. they are such beauty to look at. IMO, my V irons are even better.

Like I said, I like them a lot. If I could find a 4-PW set like new for 4-500$ I would buy them. Not going to pay $900 though.

Unfortunately Honma distribution is just very bad right now. Only one store near me (edwin watts) carries them and I never see used clubs for sale for a price I am willing to pay.

check out golfio . you may find plenty. It is my local online retailer.

WWG1 WGA
  • TheArtisfTheArtisf Members Posts: 3

Just received a set of 747P irons (5 through 11, +1/4 inch, 2 degree upright, NS Pro 105 stiff shaft) to replace my old Ping i3’s. Went to a vendor demo day where all the major brands were present and you could demo the clubs on the grass range and get free fitting. My short list at the end of the day was Ping G410’s, Titleist AP3, Mizuno Hot Metal Pro’s and this 747P club from a company I wasn’t familiar with but decided to stop by and see what they were about. So glad I did! Got to hit the 747V and the Rose Proto which were nice but for some reason I don’t get along with the feel of pure forged clubs no matter the brand - weird right? :-) I find the P model has a soft feel to them. What made me consider this might be the club for me was at the end of the demo day when I was really tired after hitting many balls in multiple fittings, went back to to hit the 747P one more time before leaving and found it was still easy to hit with a tight dispersion.

Spent a couple more weeks going to the local shops that have these to continue to compare. Each time I found myself liking the look and feel of the Honma even more. The shop guys wished more people would try them stating how well they are made with quality materials. Read and watched the few reviews online and the only concern I had was with the low spin numbers some experienced and how well they’d hold the green. Only played one round so far and can say that at least with how I hit these, spin and holding greens is no concern any longer. They do just fine by the 7 to 11 clubs. Haven’t had an opportunity for approach shots with 5 and 6 irons yet. So far so good! I could have easily gamed any of my short listed clubs but am happy to give it a go with the Honma’s. Just need to prepare for more on course conversations about who Honma is with the players the course pairs me with. ;-)

Had to take a photo of my on course first shot result on a par 3 to remember the start of this journey.

@TheArtisf said:
    Just received a set of 747P irons (5 through 11, +1/4 inch, 2 degree upright, NS Pro 105 stiff shaft) to replace my old Ping i3’s. Went to a vendor demo day where all the major brands were present and you could demo the clubs on the grass range and get free fitting. My short list at the end of the day was Ping G410’s, Titleist AP3, Mizuno Hot Metal Pro’s and this 747P club from a company I wasn’t familiar with but decided to stop by and see what they were about. So glad I did! Got to hit the 747V and the Rose Proto which were nice but for some reason I don’t get along with the feel of pure forged clubs no matter the brand - weird right? :-) I find the P model has a soft feel to them. What made me consider this might be the club for me was at the end of the demo day when I was really tired after hitting many balls in multiple fittings, went back to to hit the 747P one more time before leaving and found it was still easy to hit with a tight dispersion.

Spent a couple more weeks going to the local shops that have these to continue to compare. Each time I found myself liking the look and feel of the Honma even more. The shop guys wished more people would try them stating how well they are made with quality materials. Read and watched the few reviews online and the only concern I had was with the low spin numbers some experienced and how well they’d hold the green. Only played one round so far and can say that at least with how I hit these, spin and holding greens is no concern any longer. They do just fine by the 7 to 11 clubs. Haven’t had an opportunity for approach shots with 5 and 6 irons yet. So far so good! I could have easily gamed any of my short listed clubs but am happy to give it a go with the Honma’s. Just need to prepare for more on course conversations about who Honma is with the players the course pairs me with. ;-)

Had to take a photo of my on course first shot result on a par 3 to remember the start of this journey.

I appreciate your feedback. I hope your finer journey with 747P ahead

WWG1 WGA
  • mtex22mtex22 ClubWRX Posts: 2,177 ClubWRX

So going on two months with Honma in the bag and still loving everything. The only thing that didn't work was the wedges but did get some TM Milled Grind which are working great. I did pick up this to try this weekend will report back but here are some pics. It looks awesome, really compact blade length.

HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW-U 4 - Nippon 950 HT
    HONMA TW747V 5-PW - Modus 105
    TAYLORMADE Milled Grind Black 50/54/58 - Modus 115 Wedge Black
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • NDGolfer13NDGolfer13 Members Posts: 1,217 ✭✭

I just picked up a tw747 460 driver and by looks alone I really like it. The adapter system is really unique as well. Going to hit the stock shaft and also put an adapter on a x17 diamana which I think will be really good. If so maybe I'll try a tp7hd too.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Tensei Pro Orange
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Lowest Setting Tour AD BB 70X
    Srixon F65 5 Wood
    Rogue 2H Proforce V2 (new one)
    Ping G410 Steel Fiber i95 stiff 5-SW/Callaway XForged 19 PX 6.0 3-P
    James Patrick 54/58 or Ping Glide 2.0 50/56/60
    Cameron Newport Flowneck Rebar

FOR NOW...........
    All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

@NDGolfer13 said:
    I just picked up a tw747 460 driver and by looks alone I really like it. The adapter system is really unique as well. Going to hit the stock shaft and also put an adapter on a x17 diamana which I think will be really good. If so maybe I'll try a tp7hd too.

Did you get 60g or 70g stock shaft?

WWG1 WGA
  • NDGolfer13NDGolfer13 Members Posts: 1,217 ✭✭
    edited Jun 1, 2019 2:15am #70

@flushem said:

@NDGolfer13 said:

Did you get 60g or 70g stock shaft?

Got the 60. I don’t think I’m gonna keep it as that’s what I do. Lol

It is the most muted driver I’ve hit in a long time.

Post edited by NDGolfer13 on
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Tensei Pro Orange
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Lowest Setting Tour AD BB 70X
    Srixon F65 5 Wood
    Rogue 2H Proforce V2 (new one)
    Ping G410 Steel Fiber i95 stiff 5-SW/Callaway XForged 19 PX 6.0 3-P
    James Patrick 54/58 or Ping Glide 2.0 50/56/60
    Cameron Newport Flowneck Rebar

FOR NOW...........
    All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

New TW-X looks hot. Perhaps Honma's answer to TM P790?

Assertion from Honma website:

Tour-validated long irons now available in a full set

CARLSBAD, CALIFORNIA – The new T//World-X irons have officially launched in the United States, Honma announced Wednesday. TW-X irons were extended into a full set offering after the long iron received rave reviews from top PGA TOUR players.

The new TW-X irons were born from a Honma prototype utility iron called the TW-U that was available in 2, 3, 4 and 5 irons. The iron was seeded on the PGA TOUR starting last year and was put in play by multiple tour professionals almost immediately. After receiving performance validation from the best players in the world, Honma worked to create a full set of TW-X irons with the same premise – high launch, long carry and shot-stopping control.

TW-X irons are best categorized as a ‘Players Distance’ iron with strong game improvement features. Additional features and benefits include:

• Beautiful, muscle back irons that deliver great feel and game-improving performance
    • Forged, modern, hollow construction iron with a S25C body and MS300 high strength steel face
    • High launch, high MOI, long carry and pin-stopping control
    • Distance and performance for better players and discerning game improvement golfers who want to play a beautiful blade iron
    • Designed and created by master craftsmen in Sakata, Japan and performance-validated on the PGA TOUR

“The new T//World-X irons truly offer something for every level of golfer who appreciates a blade iron but wants playability. The full set can be played by low-single digit players all the way to mid and higher handicaps, and the long irons have already been put in play by the best in the world,” said Honma’s Vice President of Product Chris McGinley.

Honma TW-X irons are available in a 4-10 full set configuration and 5-11 full set configuration in both steel and graphite shafts. TW-X irons will also be available as individual utility long irons for golfers looking to replace their difficult-to-hit longer irons.

They are available now for pre-order on honmagolf.com and other retailer websites, and available at select shops around the United States on June 17.

WWG1 WGA
    edited Jun 12, 2019 4:26am #72

I really got to spend some time today with the TW-U 4 iron Utility club. First few shots were really bad but once I figured it out wow!! High arching 190-200 club giving me the launch window I have been looking for. One thing I am really happy about is it feels and looks like a 4 iron at address just slightly thicker topline vs my TW-747V set. It does not feel hollow or clicky like other utilities Ive tried, still butter soft and visually its not thick and chunky nor does it have much offset. Compact blade length too! Its a perfect add to my set and its making me think about those new TW-X basically a full set of these.

ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,316 ✭✭

I had a TW-U Forged, and I agree largely with your assessment on feel. It's not the most forgiving driving iron to hit, but if your swing is on, it's certainly one of the best to play. I found the previous model easier to play overall, but the Forged version is a better club if you can play it.
    I've also tried the new one, but I wasn't taken with it. Felt dead.

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 

@mtex22 said:
    I really got to spend some time today with the TW-U 4 iron Utility club. First few shots were really bad but once I figured it out wow!! High arching 190-200 club giving me the launch window I have been looking for. One thing I am really happy about is it feels and looks like a 4 iron at address just slightly thicker topline vs my TW-747V set. It does not feel hollow or clicky like other utilities Ive tried, still butter soft and visually its not thick and chunky nor does it have much offset. Compact blade length too! Its a perfect add to my set and its making me think about those new TW-X basically a full set of these.

your clubs are all Honma'd out like me. I have 737 driver, 3w and 4h. 747 4h and 747V irons (6-10).

WWG1 WGA

@flushem said:

@mtex22 said:

your clubs are all Honma'd out like me. I have 737 driver, 3w and 4h. 747 4h and 747V irons (6-10).

yup everything but wedges and putter!

ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • KukKuk Members Posts: 171 ✭✭

Has anyone seem or hit the new TW-X iron? I’m eager to try it out but can’t find it at local golf store

@**** said:
    Has anyone seem or hit the new TW-X iron? I’m eager to try it out but can’t find it at local golf store

I wish.

WWG1 WGA