Who else is a big fan of Bryson dechambeau?

Comments

• TheBear95TheBear95 Posts: 422 ✭✭

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan, but I enjoy watching him play. I cringe a bit when he says his "scientific" stuff. Hence why I like watching him PLAY.

Why do you cringe? He's not wrong, he has a mechanical engineering degree and apparently his scientific approach to the game is working, proven by his Top 5 in the world ranking.

Not you toast, but people in general should take a more analytical approach to the game, not equations and schidt, but just think more about the physics of what the ball does or doesn't do - and how that's accomplished. Golfers skill level would improve if they would get away from the "me hit ball, oh well I sliced it, me chase ball" mentality and think more about "why did it just slice 80 yards to the right? Let me try the opposite of that and hook it 80 yards....then find the middle ground among the two"

(disclaimer - have a ME degree as well, so Shambo speaks my language. And Cobra and Puma make the best gear.)

He's a sharp guy, no question. And, he likes to play that up. However, there's a fine-line between being a unique individual that sees things differently and becoming a caricature.
    Mizuno ST 190 9.5*
    Mizuno ST 190 15*
    Mizuno CLK 19*, 22*
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC/SC (4-PW)
    Scratch FIT 52*, 58*
    Bettinardi Kuchar 2 Armlock
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    I like that he does things his own way. I think his intelligence and analytical approach is way overblown though but he plays along.
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Posts: 1,507 ✭✭
    Not a fan but full respect for what he's accomplished. However I can't help but think he would have done the same with variable length irons anyways. IMO of course.
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I like him. He sticks to his convictions. The SL iron phenomenon is largely due to him, because it works for his game. Whether SL clubs work for others depends on their skill set and adaptability, but at least they are a viable option.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• Rich DouglasRich Douglas Members Posts: 319 ✭✭
    TheBear95 wrote:

He's a sharp guy, no question. And, he likes to play that up. However, there's a fine-line between being a unique individual that sees things differently and becoming a caricature.

Winning has a tendency to widen that line. See O'Grady, Mac for the other side of the line.
    Driver: Titleist 917 D3 (Aldila Rogue MAX 65)
    2W: TM Mini Driver
    3H: Ping G410 (19 degrees)
    Irons: Wishon Sterling Single Length 4I-LW
    Putter: Bloodline (mallet)
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,566 ✭✭
    I'm a fan and I don't even care about swing theory or equipment.

elwhippy wrote:

Like or loathe him the lad has fantastic ability. As many wins in his last eleven events as Cobra's "poster boy" Fowler has in nine years.

Sigh. Rickie needs to quit helping people with their mortgages and insurance and win golf tournaments. Among golfers younger than 35, he may not even be in the Top 10 any more.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,150 ✭✭
    I find him hard to watch. He looks stiff and awkward when he swings. but I have said the same about Jordan Spieth.

They both do a great job of getting the ball in the hole. I just don't enjoy watching them do it.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • Randy_BobandyRandy_Bobandy Members Posts: 179
    I like him, he's got fire when he plays. Sometimes he gets a little bent out of shape (e.g. the club throwing incident on the range after a bad round), but I'm sure he will get that figured out in time. People keep saying on WRX that he's "showing off" how smart he is in interviews, but just because someone uses words you don't understand doesn't mean they are showing off. The entire point of "science" as a field is to understand things that aren't obviously intuitive, and I think we can all agree that golf is not intuitive at all.
    TM M1 8.5° - 757x
    TM M1 15° - 757x TS
    Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 2i
    Vapor Pro 4-PW
    Engage 52* square
    TM TP EF 58-10
    Method Matter B2-01
    Bridgestone Tour B330s
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,056 ✭✭
    elwhippy wrote:

Like or loathe him the lad has fantastic ability. As many wins in his last eleven events as Cobra's "poster boy" Fowler has in nine years.

Can't argue that.
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • KennyPKennyP Posts: 857 ✭✭
    I think his action will become more orthodox as he gets older - in a similar way to how Jim Furyk and Bubba have developed.

I'm not entirely convinced with the genius tag. After all, his side-saddle putting experiment failed.

Like him or hate him, he's hugely talented.
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Posts: 923 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:

I find him hard to watch. He looks stiff and awkward when he swings. but I have said the same about Jordan Spieth.

They both do a great job of getting the ball in the hole. I just don't enjoy watching them do it.

It sure ain't pretty but it is repeatable and a simple move he has. I like his putting stroke a lot. Not sure I want to implement but I see what he has done with it.
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 856 ✭✭
    NevinW wrote:

I think that some of the "mad scientist" personna is shtick. It is deliberately a bit exaggerated to make him appear different and to standout among all of the other cookie-cutter pros. It reminds me of the Lee Trevino Merry Mex routine. I saw Lee play a bunch of times and he was quite frankly, hilarious. I doubt his playing partners thought so but his fans loved him. The reality was quite different, in private he wasn't so merry. It made Lee Trevino a lot of money.

look at his swing. . . straightest right arm at address on tour IMO. Not all shtick. The eyes are muscles bit is hilarious though. Id be like, "so how do you feel your vestibulocochlear system interacted with your other cranial nerves today, Bryson?"
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,111 ClubWRX
    edited Nov 5, 2018 #44
    extrastiff wrote:

NevinW wrote:

I think that some of the "mad scientist" personna is shtick. It is deliberately a bit exaggerated to make him appear different and to standout among all of the other cookie-cutter pros. It reminds me of the Lee Trevino Merry Mex routine. I saw Lee play a bunch of times and he was quite frankly, hilarious. I doubt his playing partners thought so but his fans loved him. The reality was quite different, in private he wasn't so merry. It made Lee Trevino a lot of money.

look at his swing. . . straightest right arm at address on tour IMO. Not all shtick. The eyes are muscles bit is hilarious though. Id be like, "so how do you feel your vestibulocochlear system interacted with your other cranial nerves today, Bryson?"

I agree that the swing is impressively different and is a validation of a number of fringe swing theories. It clearly works under pressure. What I am talking about is all the science stuff. I know a fair amount of science and medicine and some of the things he says sounds like deliberate trolling to me. To hear it is to hear the sweet sounds of pure BS. I think he is messing with people sometimes. But some of the other things like the thick grips, the single length clubs and the no-wrist -break swing have clearly have merit.
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,161 ✭✭
    NevinW wrote:

extrastiff wrote:

NevinW wrote:

I agree that the swing is impressively different and is a validation of a number of fringe swing theories. It clearly works under pressure. What I am talking about is all the science stuff. I know a fair amount of science and medicine and some of the things he says sounds like deliberate trolling to me. To hear it is to hear the sweet sounds of pure BS. I think he is messing with people sometimes. But some of the other things like the thick grips, the single length clubs and the no-wrist -break swing have clearly have merit.

Agreed. I've theorized for quite some time now that he's a master troll. Could even be the #1 ranked troll in the world.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 856 ✭✭
    edited Nov 5, 2018 #46
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

NevinW wrote:

extrastiff wrote:

NevinW wrote:

Agreed. I've theorized for quite some time now that he's a master troll. Could even be the #1 ranked troll in the world.

ah the trolly nonsense I must have said as a psych-neuro major at 22 years old. . . . he will figure it out eventually
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 5,974 ✭✭
    edited Nov 5, 2018 #47
    Hes won 4 times in his last 12 starts. Already has more wins than rickie fowler whos been on tour for a decade. he has a method he makes work and i get that alot of people dislike his "personality" but dont let it cloud your judgement.Guy has game and works extremely hard. What hes doing is bordering on elite level. Can he maintain it? who knows but he makes alot of birdies and can go low at any time.
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    I like his DeShampoo. Does that count?
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,161 ✭✭
    extrastiff wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

NevinW wrote:

extrastiff wrote:

NevinW wrote:

ah the trolly nonsense I must have said as a psych-neuro major at 22 years old. . . . he will figure it out eventually

I think he has a lot of fun with it. He knows everyone just eats it up.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,432 ✭✭

Of course it does. How else are you to get close to him?
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,536 ClubWRX
    Not really, but he's got game!
  • sfigginssfiggins Members Posts: 397 ✭✭
    SMU Mustangs. Liked them since the days of the Pony Express. So yeah, I like BAD.
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,568 ClubWRX
    can't wait for him to win a major. and he def. will win at least one.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,084 ClubWRX
    I've just become one finally. I always admired his play but thought he came off like a bit of a prat. I was wrong. He's just a little different but he's totally being himself. Now that he's winning, the guy is so genuinely happy and stoked with his own play that it's overflowing. I never saw a guy so pleased with himself....in a good way. I love to see that...much more than ho-hum-another-usopen-brooks-koepke like he's so bored with it. Of course, he isn't but I think he wants to be too cool, too badly. Bryson reminds me of a happy little kid.
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* Hybrid- Altus S- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex/Pro Combo 5-Gap- Recoil 760 Smacwrap
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Bridgestone Tour B330
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
    getitdaily wrote:

Of course it does. How else are you to get close to him?

Lol...
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
    gatorMD wrote:

can't wait for him to win a major. and he def. will win at least one.

He'll win the PGA, and like Dufner, Bradley, DL3, Azinger, and Thomas, will be the only one, lol...

I call the PGA the Curse of the Golf Mummy, lol....

I actually think the US Open or The Masters are the best chances for him.
  • rawdograwdog Cleveland, OHPosts: 3,015 ✭✭

I've just become one finally. I always admired his play but thought he came off like a bit of a prat. I was wrong. He's just a little different but he's totally being himself. Now that he's winning, the guy is so genuinely happy and stoked with his own play that it's overflowing. I never saw a guy so pleased with himself....in a good way. I love to see that...much more than ho-hum-another-usopen-brooks-koepke like he's so bored with it. Of course, he isn't but I think he wants to be too cool, too badly. Bryson reminds me of a happy little kid.

That's a great take. When you listen to him talk about the game, you can hear the genuine enjoyment.

It's an attitude that will hopefully take him far and that a lot of amateurs could benefit from.
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
    In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 5W = 19*
    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
    Cobra F7 One Length Irons
    Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
    6I = 24* 7I = 29* 8I = 34* 9I = 39* PW = 44* GW = 49* SW = 54* LW = 59*
    Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
    Maxfli SoftFli
  • m5powerm5power Members Posts: 875 ✭✭
    I'm a big fan. I know he gets a bad rap sometimes but not sure if it's just people's perception of him or that he treats people the wrong way. If it's not the latter, than I'll continue to be his fan. I love smart. Smart is always good in my book.
  • bbedellbbedell Posts: 135 ✭✭
    CA central valley represent...BAD is a stud and always has been

Also a Ricky fan, though. One of the most dominant ATHLETES - regardless of sport - in the history of CA high school athletics.
  • Dave230Dave230 Posts: 3,747 ✭✭
    I like his swing, seems to get perfectly on plane quite consistently and a nice rhythm to it. Putting looks a bit awkward but is really working for him at the minute and at least he's given up the side saddle experiment.
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,446 ✭✭

Why do you cringe? He's not wrong, he has a mechanical engineering degree and apparently his scientific approach to the game is working, proven by his Top 5 in the world ranking.

(disclaimer - have a ME degree as well, so Shambo speaks my language. And Cobra and Puma make the best gear.)

Bryson didn’t major in ME and doesn’t have a degree. He dropped out before his senior year.
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.