Byron Morgan history

CF_FrostCF_Frost Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
After spending who knows how long researching this topic after reading rumblings on boards forever, I am reluctantly starting this topic. I say reluctantly because for some reason it feels as though it's almost a taboo topic or one that is controversial.

Can someone link me to or give me a history of Byron Morgan putters? I would love to read that but I am specifically interested in his relationship with Scotty Cameron. I often read "he was a mentor to Scotty" or something along those lines but never any real history/timeline on Byron or the two. This ins't a knock on either putter maker or brand, as I am genuinely curious what history is behind Byron as well as his relationship with Scotty. I feel like anytime I have found the two mentioned side by side the thread quickly turns to a pissing match between Scotty fans and Byron fans and that is not what I am going for at all here.

Comments

• Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 913 ✭✭
    They were once best friends but then Scotty stole Byron's girlfriend and then they turned into enemies. JK, I'm too young to know much about their history together.
  • tangojaytangojay Members Posts: 928 ✭✭
    CF_Frost wrote:

After spending who knows how long researching this topic after reading rumblings on boards forever, I am reluctantly starting this topic. I say reluctantly because for some reason it feels as though it's almost a taboo topic or one that is controversial.

Can someone link me to or give me a history of Byron Morgan putters? I would love to read that but I am specifically interested in his relationship with Scotty Cameron. I often read "he was a mentor to Scotty" or something along those lines but never any real history/timeline on Byron or the two. This ins't a knock on either putter maker or brand, as I am genuinely curious what history is behind Byron as well as his relationship with Scotty. I feel like anytime I have found the two mentioned side by side the thread quickly turns to a pissing match between Scotty fans and Byron fans and that is not what I am going for at all here.

Those who know will NOT tell you what you want know.

You will only get "speculations" or " I heard from a friend who knows a guy" comments.
  • RRHRRH Members Posts: 308 ✭✭
    One day Scotty Cameron went to the bathroom and found a glory hole. Interested, he did what any man would do, and entered. To his surprise, there was a receiver. Byron Morgan was also in this same bathroom on the same day, with no other alibi. The rest is history. Great putters though.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,890 ✭✭
    tangojay wrote:

CF_Frost wrote:

You will only get "speculations" or " I heard from a friend who knows a guy" comments.

Agree. Too many bridges to be burned and circles are still too tight to this day to burn those bridges.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,281 ✭✭
    CF_Frost wrote:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/277979-scotty-cameron-classic-mini/

Not precisely what you were asking about, but similar and some entertaining reading nonetheless...
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • CF_FrostCF_Frost Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
    SubaruWRX wrote:

CF_Frost wrote:

http://www.golfwrx.c...n-classic-mini/

Not precisely what you were asking about, but similar and some entertaining reading nonetheless...

When I first opened this I was a little scared at the 800 reply post count, but the second post in the thread tells me this will a lot of the type of info I'm looking for. I'm about to dive in. Much appreciated.
  • Puttersaurus RexPuttersaurus Rex one swing at a time Members Posts: 508 ✭✭
    What did I venture into? I have a better understanding of why certain boutique putter threads get locked now.

giphy.gif
    Fusion 10.5
    EX10 Beta 16.5 and 18

XCG7 Beta 22
    Zu85 5
    565 6-pw
    RTX 3 50.10, 54.08
    SM7 58.08

Long neck putter
  • DrJACOBDrJACOB Members Posts: 170 ✭✭
    We are coming up on the 10 year anniversary of "Classic Mini Thread" and probably the most epic thread in WRX history! I read it years ago.
    TM M1 10.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X
    Ping Stretch 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
    Titlesit 910H 19*
    Miura Bades 4-PW
    Miura Wedges 51,55,59
    Callaway PM 64
    BB2 or at least one of my 8802 style putters
    What did I venture into? I have a better understanding of why certain boutique putter threads get locked now.

giphy.gif

I hope this thread didn’t sound like I was trying to be an instigator, as my intentions were not to do that. I’m only about 20 pages into that thread but feel even more like I’ve asked a taboo question lol.
  • turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Posts: 12,779 ClubWRX
    Bad times. A lot of good friendships ended bitterly, over putter makers...
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭
    edited Feb 6, 2019 7:31pm #12
    Epic thread.

At the time I was on "Team Bettinardi" and hated Cameron.

10 years later I'm on "Team Buy What You Want Because They're Just Putters."

Now I reserve my vitriol for the USGA and gimmick pay-per-view golf events. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association
    DrJACOB wrote:

We are coming up on the 10 year anniversary of "Classic Mini Thread" and probably the most epic thread in WRX history! I read it years ago.

One of my favorite reads of all time here.
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,547 ClubWRX
    edited Feb 10, 2019 9:46pm #14
    Byron is a friend of mine. There is some history between Cameron and Byron. He's told me some things about it. I've been told a few details by other friends in the know as well. In the end, I agree with TJ:

tangojay wrote:

So if anyone sends me a PM and wants to ask me in privacy, DON'T. I am not discussing what my friends have told me.

Let's just discuss putters. Byron is an outstanding person!!! Byron makes outstanding putters and offers them for a very good price. He's a true putter craftsman, a small golf business that offers putters to us. Why not simply appreciate that. Those who love Scotty Cameron putters then let them have their day and their putters. In the end it's just a game so rehashing the past isn't going to benefit anyone. Just a thought.
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW KBS Tour stiff
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
    Mr. Hogan wrote:

Epic thread.

At the time I was on "Team Bettinardi" and hated Cameron.

Now I reserve my vitriol for the USGA and gimmick pay-per-view golf events. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I definitely understand and can comprehend this. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

kevcarter wrote:

Sad but so true. Well said Kevin! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Posts: 12,779 ClubWRX

kevcarter wrote:

Sad but so true. Well said Kevin! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Cheers Doc!
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,443 ✭✭
    I kind of knew their paths crossed paths at some point. Brief mentions on multiple forums of a young Cameron working with Byron.

The jist of some posts in this thread is this is obviously a touchy subject and whatever releationship they had ended poorly.

If true that’s a shame. Imagine the conversations of putter making and design that might have went on between those two.
  • golfluvzmegolfluvzme Members Posts: 2,719 ✭✭
    Mr. Hogan wrote:

This is what it is all about. Enjoy the times that we are living in. So many brands/makers and so much great stuff out there. It's OK to have your favorite, but don't miss out on the other stuff for the sole purpose of blind loyalty.

Just one Mann agreeing with a Hogan, image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    golfluvzme wrote:

Mr. Hogan wrote:

This is what it is all about. Enjoy the times that we are living in. So many brands/makers and so much great stuff out there. It's OK to have your favorite, but don't miss out on the other stuff for the sole purpose of blind loyalty.

Just one Mann agreeing with a Hogan, image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Lol! This one Mann makes very outstanding putters in his own right!!!!

golfluvzme wrote:

Mr. Hogan wrote:

I’d agree, they are finely Krafted.
  • Classic 59Classic 59 Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    Byron also makes GSS putters. States they are from the same sourse as SC.
  • pre0024pre0024 Members Posts: 269 ✭✭
    Think Byron was being cheeky with the near “GSS” stamping here? I’ve always wondered 😄

WITB<br />PING G400 Max 10.5° Fuji Pro tour spec 73x<br />3i i500 tourspx vts silver 100x, 4i i200, 6, 8, 9, P iBlade Nippon Modus 130x<br />PING Glide 2.0 50ss, 54ss Nippon Modus 130x<br />Byron 007
    pre0024 wrote:

Think Byron was being cheeky with the near “GSS” stamping here? I’ve always wondered 😄

I doubt he cares. Probably just made it per customer request.

edited Feb 12, 2019 9:52pm #24
    This is my DH89 GSS Long Pipe putter. Same source of GSS as another maker, almost identical and A LOT less in price. Byron also welded the Long Pipe neck and did the finishing and stamping. The feel of this putter is tremendous but it was confiscated by my wife (when my Epic Day putter arrived). She really liked the DH89 and she wants to play golf. LOL image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
  • golfluvzmegolfluvzme Members Posts: 2,719 ✭✭
    I think I need to get my 007 CLUB BYRON putter down of the rack and snap some pix. She wasn't GSS, but she was an amazing testament to the type of guy Byron is. I'll share that story when I get the pix taken and can upload. There are no better people in the putter world than Mr. Byron Morgan. There are a few that are close and quality gentlemen, but my life is what it is, because of several occasions of generosity by Mr. Morgan.

LaMont in AZ
  • pre0024pre0024 Members Posts: 269 ✭✭
    edited Feb 12, 2019 10:17pm #26
    Pretty certain I came across it earlier. For the sake of getting that story out quicker this is the beauty here no?

WITB<br />PING G400 Max 10.5° Fuji Pro tour spec 73x<br />3i i500 tourspx vts silver 100x, 4i i200, 6, 8, 9, P iBlade Nippon Modus 130x<br />PING Glide 2.0 50ss, 54ss Nippon Modus 130x<br />Byron 007
    golfluvzme wrote:
    I think I need to get my 007 CLUB BYRON putter down of the rack and snap some pix. She wasn't GSS, but she was an amazing testament to the type of guy Byron is. I'll share that story when I get the pix taken and can upload. There are no better people in the putter world than Mr. Byron Morgan. There are a few that are close and quality gentlemen, but my life is what it is, because of several occasions of generosity by Mr. Morgan.

LaMont in AZ

Can’t wait to hear this story, LaMont.

I started the thread not wanting to ruffle feathers or bring up old beefs but to learn a little history on a putter I have ordered, a Byron. I currently putt with an old TEI3 so I certainly appreciate both brands but love a little backstory and history.

Hoping to order one from you as well in the future.
  • tangojaytangojay Members Posts: 928 ✭✭
    edited Feb 13, 2019 2:57am #28

golfluvzme wrote:

Mr. Hogan wrote:

I had the pleasure of meeting LaMont and with a little luck I will be retiring in AZ, hopefully we can meet again and talk golf,,,,
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Doc CDoc C ClubWRX Posts: 88 ClubWRX

Sweet putters!

Titleist TS3 Driver Evenflow White 65g 6.5
    Srixon Z F65 3-wood Oban Kiyoshi White 65g 05
    PXG 0311 3-PW Project X 6.5
    Taylormade Milled Grind 50,54,58, Tour Issue S400
    Lajosi DD201 Stainless Steel 35"
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 331 ✭✭

@Doc C said:
    Sweet putters!

That's just pure eye candy. There is a LH version of this for sale in another forum I'm extremely tempted to buy

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • ArafelArafel Members Posts: 4,272 ✭✭

@Doc C said:
    Sweet putters!

This quite possibly is the perfect putter. I need more pics to make sure though. Lol