Anyone else found the perfect ball?

jjfcpajjfcpa Posts: 318 ✭✭

I've tried just about every ball you could think of... well, almost. Anyway, I started playing the Bridgestone Tour B RX and it just felt so comfortable to play and the results were always predictable. I then started testing other balls in an attempt to find the "perfect" ball; not realizing that I may have already found it. Anyway, after weeks of experimenting, it finally dawned on me (yes, I'm a little slow) that the RX was the "perfect" ball for "me". Sure, I can play just about any ball, but when faced with a shot that requires perfect execution, I start to play mind games with myself and wish it was an RX in front of me. So I've sworn off the experimenting for a while and I'm sticking with the ball that just feels like it was made just for me. This is in no way an endorsement of the RX for anyone else.

Comments

• vartanickvartanick Posts: 142 ✭✭

Same here, same ball, I'd tried a lot of balls but keep coming back to the RX.
    Snell MTB is my second choice, but when Im “not good” with my swing, the spin goes to high

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭

Chrome Soft (not X). Perfect amount of spin, good distance, good durability, and great feeling. Running a close 2nd is Project (a).

• JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 953 ✭✭

Rx is a keeper.
    For me, the zenith is FG Tour.

Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • theedge27theedge27 Posts: 604 ✭✭

RZN Plat and FG Tour

• Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,175 ✭✭
    edited Apr 5, 2019 12:02pm #6

Been through the same situation. Started with the Gamersoft and had experimented with a dozen balls over two years and realized the Gamersoft was the best at the time. Sadly, they don't make the ball any longer. I now like the QST and won't make that mistake again. QST has the fair price, great feel and green side spin and comes in yellow. Search over.

• jusmejusme Posts: 262 ✭✭

Tried way too many and always return to the chrome soft. Does what I expect over and over and I have found nothing better

• vadersfathervadersfather Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

Project A for me also. It blows my mind, how great this ball feels, and the results are so reliable , its not even funny.

• North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,008 ✭✭
    edited Apr 5, 2019 1:40pm #9

There is no such thing as a perfect ball. All the balls are good and it's just a matter of which ball do you prefer based on what ever criteria is important to you. And we won't all prefer the same ball because of that. And that doesn't make it a perfect ball or mean that's the best ball made. It's just the best ball for you or for me.

• eagle1997eagle1997 Members Posts: 18,048 ✭✭

the B330s (pre-tiger, 2014 model, hydrocore, dimple in dimple) was the perfect ball for me. still can't find a pound-for-pound replacement, but i have been enjoying the most recent iteration of the chrome soft.

Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • x4me84x4me84 Members Posts: 25 ✭✭

I found it on the 4th hole behind in a bush.

2019 - 2018
    Ping G400 9.0 Slay 65 Stiff - TM M2 10.5 Aldila ATX Tour Blue 65 2.7 TX
    Ping G400 3W 14.5 Slay 75 Stiff - TM M2 3W Aldila Tour Green 75 3.3 S
    Ping G400 3H 19 Slay 85 Stiff - TM M2 3H Aldila Rouge Black X
    Cobra Forged TEC Black 4-GW Project X LZ 6.0 - Callaway Apex Irons 4-AW Recoil 125 X
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56, 60 Project X LZ 6.0 - Cleveland CG-15 56, 60 W-flex
    Ping Senita B 38" Putter
    TP5x - KSig
  • WardonationWardonation Members Posts: 1,375 ✭✭

Zstar XV for me....

• Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,175 ✭✭

@vadersfather said:
    Project A for me also. It blows my mind, how great this ball feels, and the results are so reliable , its not even funny.

It's all good except their limish yellowish color advertised as yellow?

• OknowsOknows Members Posts: 1,049 ✭✭

LOVED the RZN Black. Haven’t found anything since then that I just had to play.

Ping G400 MAX at 8* w/ Diamana W 70x
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75
    Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
    Ping i500 3 iron (17*) w/ DG 120 x100
    Titleist 816 H1 23*
    PING i210 5-GW w/ PX LZ 6.5
    Ping Glide 2.0 54* w/ DG s400
    Ping Glide 2.0 58* w/ DG s400
    Evnroll ER1
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,304 ✭✭

I've liked every iteration of the B330 ... I've bounced between models at times, but I've always been pleased with the consistency and predictability of performance.

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Posts: 318 ✭✭

@North Texas said:
    There is no such thing as a perfect ball. All the balls are good and it's just a matter of which ball do you prefer based on what ever criteria is important to you. And we won't all prefer the same ball because of that. And that doesn't make it a perfect ball or mean that's the best ball made. It's just the best ball for you or for me.

I believe that's what I was saying, "what is the perfect ball FOR YOU". duh

A little disappointed today with the RX. I cut one on the 3rd hole and did not hit a tree or cart path. Not sure how that happened but unacceptable for a brand new ball.
    Then I switched to a new ball and by the end of the round, it was pretty beat up. I'm not a long hitter and don't really understand how a brand new ball could end up with 2 or 3 pretty bad scuff marks.

• North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,008 ✭✭

@jjfcpa said:

@North Texas said:

I believe that's what I was saying, "what is the perfect ball FOR YOU". duh

Yes, you did.

• MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,451 ✭✭

Let's see- favorites used for extensive period of time have been Nike Tour Accuracy DD, Precept U-tri tour, Bridgestone 2012 B330s, and the current tour B XS. Bridgestone manufactured golf balls just seem to suit my preferences and game very well.

Taylormade R510tp TI 10.5* Fuji Evo TS 661
    Cleveland launcher DF tour 17* Fuji Rombax 8x07
    TEE CNC forged limited 3-pw DG tour concept 
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron '96 Laguna
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 399 ✭✭

2019 XV for this year. Coming from the Tp5x,it's everything I wanted from a tp5x but it outperforms the Tp5x in the window.

• jasona93jasona93 Members Posts: 57 ✭✭

@Tanner25 said:

@vadersfather said:

It's all good except their limish yellowish color advertised as yellow?

Their 'yellow' is putrid. But I've played every generation of the Project A and really enjoy it. Ticks all the boxes for my game.

• Hat TrickHat Trick Members Posts: 543 ✭✭

Like you, I drive myself nuts trying different balls and end up going back to the Pro V1X for its consistency shot to shot, round to round, season to season. I just know what it is going to do and my yardages. Not the longest (TP5X), but I need to stick to it.

• kejoal11kejoal11 IYAOYAS!!!! Members Posts: 1,114 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 8, 2019 12:10pm #23

The perfect ball for me is the Snell MTB Black. Great off driver, plenty of spin off irons and shots around green. Performs great into the wind as well.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]In My Bag[/background][/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]PING G400 Max 9* PX Hazardous T1100 6.5 75g[/background][/font]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM SLDR TP 3W Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 8.3[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM SLDR TP 2H Matrix Black Tie 95HX[/background]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Vokey SM6 58*, 50*[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Evnroll ER5 [/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Snell MTB/TP5X[/background][/font]

#insideTMAG 2013

Anyone compared the Bridgestone RX with any other ball for distance. I know we're probably only talking a yard or two but just curious.

• jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 64 ✭✭

I put the 2018 Chrome Soft against the 2018 Bridgestone B XS on Sunday. It was pretty windy on my course, greens were playing firm following ironing and the fairways were hardening up. A few comparisons I made against each ball:

• Driver distance was pretty much the same. The only big difference was my strike. Bridgestone probably just edged it.
    • Long irons no noticeable difference
    • Mid and short irons the Bridgestone stopped and popped out of its pitchmark, Chrome Soft stopped and spun back a bit further around a couple of feet. Maybe a few extra yards from the Chrome Soft. Had a decent amount of stop from the rough with the Bridgestone as well.
    • Both performed well in the wind. Bridgestone marginally better.

I have 2 dozen of each ball. I prefer the clicky sound of the Bridgestone but certainly not averse to the softer feel of the Chrome Soft. For what I paid I have found the ball(s) that fit my game perfectly.

• Popeye64Popeye64 Posts: 870 ✭✭

For me the TP5X is pretty close to ideal. The Kirkland was the ball before that. Shame they went away.

• craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,028 ✭✭

Not perfect as it doesn’t fly in the hole on every shot but the AVX works well for me

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • HackerD  HackerD Student of the game Members Posts: 3,143 ✭✭

Played 18 over the weekend with Tour B RX. (I had 3 dozen on the shelf that I must have bought on sale last year.) My observations: only lost one ball; good feel off the club face; good green side spin; decent distance; ball did scuff easily. Gold standard for me is Pro V1X and this could be close but for the scuffing.

Ping G30 12°
    Adams Tight Lies Ti 3w
    Cally X2 Hot 3-4H
    Mizuno JPX-850 5-GW
    Vokey SM 54.14
    Cally MD PM 58.10
    SC Studio Select Newport 2
  • cane700cane700 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭

It's always been the Prov1x for me. It just works. So much short game control. Which is important to me.

• JutJut "Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Members Posts: 708 ✭✭

AVX for me. Quite a few others (FG Tour, TP5, Snell Black, Pro V1, Chrome Soft) tied for the back-up spot.

Ping G400 LST 8.5
    Cobra F9 Tour 15
    Ping G410 19 & 23
    Ping i500 6-G
    Callaway MD4 54/06 C
    Callaway MD4 60/12 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #9
    Titleist AVX
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,609 ✭✭

FG Tour and Chrome Soft for me.
    Every time I find "The One" they up and change it!

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75
    Rogue 4 wd. Atmos Blue TS 7 
    G 410 19* Tour 85
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
     Bettinardi '16 BB1 / '16 Bettinardi Tiki /  '17 Studio Stock 8
    Chrome Soft / TP5/ Wilson Staff FG Tour