Vice, Snell, or Cut? Price & features.

JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been done before. I'm planning to give these a try and wanted to hear thoughts.
TIA.

Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
Cleveland Smart Square Blade

Comments

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently vice/cut/etc are all from the same factory and not engineered by them, and Snell does engineer their own balls/specs.

YMMV on the info you find online.

• cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rival site's massive golf ball testing comparison had the Snell MTB-X as their #1 ball for distance and value. They also really did not like CUT.

I've played both Vice and Snell, can't say I found that they're that different (within the same ball-type). I would personally prefer Snell just because I think the guys that started Vice look like huge ****.

Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
    Titleist 917F2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
    Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
    Srixon Z U85 20*, DG-Pro X100
    TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
    Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
    Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"
  • Double DodgerDouble Dodger Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

I have tried some versions of all three. The only ones I purchased were the Cut Blue. I felt it is a very good <$2 ball. Performance is good enough for me as a scratch. There is a durability issue with ‘feathering’ on iron and wedge shots but wind play and length is as good as most. I play a lot so I don’t like to pay for marketing and a bigger check for endorsements.

• Flyers99Flyers99 Members Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have played all 3. All performed well. Did not like the look of the Cut as it looks cheap and the durability was an issue. I do not play 100 rounds a year and like to play a few balls each year so I am not buying 4-5 dozen balls at a time. So I went with Snell for the better value buying 2 dozen at a time.

• MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not like the Cut balls, durability and spun way too high for me. Plus the shimmer on the cover threw me off, looked cheap.

Vice are solid on the upper end of their selections. Best to grab some when they have a sale or offer, grabbed the Pro+ and they are solid but not sure if for me as well but I haven't been playing well when I used them. Still have like 4 dozen to see if for me.

Snell I really like, I haven't tried any of the new ones from them was waiting on reviews of the MTB-X before buying them and ended up buying the Vice. But with that said I did buy a dozen of the Red and Black. I went through the Red and they were pretty good. Played my last round with the Black and really enjoyed them. Going to buy another pack of the Black and MTB-X.

So with that said Snell would be my choice and probably a true premium ball. Vice are good if you want a bulk deal and don't mind what you play. Cut are good if on a budget.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S Shaft
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S Shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 - 20° Draw - Diamana S+ 70R Shaft
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300 Shaft
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Argolf Avalon - Toulon Sand Diego - Byron Morgan DH89 - and many more.
    Balls: Vice Pro+ - Srixon Z-Star XV
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vice Pro and Pro Plus are pretty good balls, great for the money. I have gone back to my Chrome Soft X for summer, but for cool weather and winter the Vice are solid choice.

Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • mattw387mattw387 Members Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 23, 2019 1:38pm #8

I've had issues with the Cut Blue durability with their most recent launch - not sure why they ruined a good thing.. Had been a huge fan of theirs since October '17 and they've totally dropped the ball (pun intended) on this release. I've contacted them twice, sent pictures as they requested and they have not so much as contacted me to discuss further.

I'm switching until this is resolved (and likely for good). I am strongly looking at Snell because I respect the concept and Dean's work.

Edit: Cut has gotten back to me after I sent a third message and is mailing me out some replacement balls. Nice gesture and I appreciate good customer service (after 3+ prompts) . Hope they get it resolved and the quality control increases. I want to see these direct to consumer models succeed.

Post edited by mattw387 on
  • Flyers99Flyers99 Members Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with above. Snell is actually a ball designer and has the most control over manufacturing. The others simply have a ball made for them and market it. For me, I play Snell because it is a great ball and want to support somebody who actually designs their own balls.

• 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justsomeguy said:
    Sorry if this has been done before. I'm planning to give these a try and wanted to hear thoughts.
    TIA.

Have not tried the Cut balls, but have tried Vice and currently game Snell. The Vice balls were ok, but I kept going back to my Truvis CS. It just seemed more consistent for me. But then I started playing the MTB Black, and I have not looked back.

WITB

PXG  0811x Evenflow Blue 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    PXG 0211 irons 5-G True Temper Elevate 95 S (1°flat 1°weak D4 swingweight)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PXG 400 gram Bat Attack putter(double bend shaft)
    Snell MTB Black
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mordrid1 said:

@Justsomeguy said:
    TIA.

Have not tried the Cut balls, but have tried Vice and currently game Snell. The Vice balls were ok, but I kept going back to my Truvis CS. It just seemed more consistent for me. But then I started playing the MTB Black, and I have not looked back.

What's the real difference bt black and mtb?

• 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Snell's 2 tour balls are the MTB Black and the MTB-X. The X version is a little firmer and for some people a touch longer off the driver. The X version for me spins quite a bit more than the Black. But I prefer the black for consistency because it plays more similar to the previous golf balls I gamed(Chrome Soft and Q Star Tour).

The Vice balls I tried were the Pro, Pro + and the Pro Soft. They were all decent balls, but for me they did not perform well in windy conditions compared to the Snell or even the Q Star Tour.

WITB

PXG  0811x Evenflow Blue 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    PXG 0211 irons 5-G True Temper Elevate 95 S (1°flat 1°weak D4 swingweight)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PXG 400 gram Bat Attack putter(double bend shaft)
    Snell MTB Black

Just ordered the snell sample pack.

• CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Snell. As noted order the sample pack and one model will fit you well.

• llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,384 ClubWRX

I have played all three, the Vice Pro+, the Snell Mtbx and the Cut I forgot. In playing all three I rank them as I stated them. Weird thing is, my buddy likes them in the opposite order. Goes to show that not all balls fit the player. You can go by testing all you want but for me playing any ball deserves buying a sleeve or two and really feeling which one performs to your liking. I prefer the Vice Pro+ due to the distance I feel I get along with the feel I get when I hit the ball. I have been trying to like the Snell Mtbx after it got all the raves and reviews by a certified tester which we all know and to me personally, the Vice Pro+ fit me and my game better. It gave me more spin on the greens, it gave me about 5-10 yards in added distance and it felt more solid a ball. Now I have seen the breaking news of the Vice ball being found to be a remake of an older ball that I believe is out of Korea. Does not bother me at all to say the least. When it all comes down to it, it is really what ever price point you want to be at when you buy golfballs. For me I dont lose that many golf balls and at the rate I play, I can live with a dozen golf balls for a good 6 months. So I really play what ball I like and that should be the most important factor when a player chooses a ball.

Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Utility 20.5 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Odyssey Grim Reaper 
    Vice Pro+/Snell Mtbx
  • milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members Posts: 55 ✭✭

@cmagnusson said:
    Rival site's massive golf ball testing comparison had the Snell MTB-X as their #1 ball for distance and value. They also really did not like CUT.

I've played both Vice and Snell, can't say I found that they're that different (within the same ball-type). I would personally prefer Snell just because I think the guys that started Vice look like huge ****.

Agreed, I don't like the over the top marketing of Vice, not surprised to hear they're a bunch of twats. I thought the vice was okay when I tried them but not very durable. I'm very happy with the snells

• 3PuttHero3PuttHero Members Posts: 41 ✭✭

I’ve played the Pro+ and Cut. Cut didn’t leave much of an impression but I really liked the Pro+. Prior to this I was a huge fan of the Nike RZN Tour Black but unfortunately they’re no longer in production. I haven’t played anything from Snell.

• Hags11Hags11 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

Love both the Snell MTB and MTB-x. Price is right and they perform well. Happy to support Dean Snell.

• soregongolfersoregongolfer Members Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In the last two weeks I've found a couple of the Vice Pro+. I think it's a terrific ball. Good distance. I don't overspin it like I do some others and the durability has been good. It has a softer feel that my usual Z-Star XV's. I think it's a winner and that's before I consider the $24.95 cost when you buy 5 or more dozen.

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve committed to the mtb black for the season... ordered another two dozen that will hopefully get me through to winter.

It’s a solid ball and dean seems to be a stand up guy... I’ll probably try whatever iterations he puts out next year.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

I finally had a driver day that wasn't embarrassing for everyone who has ever played.
    And I can now attest to how long the mtb-x is.

• M44km44kM44km44k Members Posts: 55 ✭✭

I prefer the vice soft vs comparable category balls. Spin well fly straight which is my goal. Only thing I don't like is the matte finish doesn't really wipe clean as easily as the shiny urethane.

• From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see if Acushnet can cut into the sales of Vice/Cut/Snell with their new Union Green brand. I don't think they will compete as well against Snell, but they should be formidable golf balls in the market placed when compared to Vice and Cut. Sure, they won't have the Titleist name on them, but they will be made in the Titleist ball plant, and you can't beat the QC from Titleist balls.

• 2ballBubsh2ballBubsh Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

@Justsomeguy said:
    Just ordered the snell sample pack.

Same here. I couldn't decide and love the premium ball in yellow. I'll probably end up settling on X as I need the extra spin around the green.

Ping G30, Claymore Mx60 F4
    Taylormade R15 19* hybrid, Stock Shaft
    Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl PW-4
    56* Mizuno Raw
    52* Ping Gorge
    Bettinardi Tour DASS Studio B BB1
    Snell MTB X/Black

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Today @ 7:33pm #26

Snell=legit ball design
    Vice/Cut=you get what you pay for. If all you want is a bunch of inexpensive balls then go for it. Perfect for the guys who lose 1/2 dozen to a dozen a round.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

6 in 1, half dozen in the other. Theyre all made in the same factory and I question just how much R&D Snell really does, considering they are a mom 'n pop operation. (and yes, I realize Dean Snell's history and resume and just what he as accomplished in his career).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file