What's a good 50 degree wedge?

Comments

• jaycevsjaycevs Members Posts: 39 ✭✭

I also have the 50/11 Cleveland CBX. I wanted the lighter weight shaft in the stock option, and some more forgiveness on full shots. The sound definitely is different, and is little early to tell, but it overall sucks that Mizuno doesn't offer a matching gap wedge for the 919 Pro.

• Weezer2Weezer2 Members Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

CBX or CBX 2 when it comes out later this month. CBX is on sale right now for $100 US.

Ping G400 Max 9* Alta CB
    Callaway X2 Hot 4 Wood 17* Aldila Tour Blue 60 Stiff
    TaylorMade Rescue Dual 19* Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Mizuno EZ Forged 4-GW XP 95 Stiff
    Cleveland CBX 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 58*
    Odyssey #7 White Ice - 34 inches
    Srixon Q Star Tour
  • KevCannonKevCannon ClubWRX Posts: 263 ClubWRX

Another vote for Vokey 50 F grind- 8 degrees bounce. I have tried the 12 degree bounce 50 and absolutely prefer the 8 degree. Consistent distance on full shots, can use for partial shots, great around green and occasional longer bunker shot.

Callaway Rogue sub zero 9 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Callaway Epic flash sub zero 15 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Titleist 818 H2 19 degree w/ GD tour AD IZ hybrid 95x
    Callaway X Forged 4-9, Apex MB pitching wedge w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50-F, Callaway MD4 54-S, 58-X w/ Project X 6.0
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball
  • jsnolandjsnoland Members Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

You might check out the Callaway Mack Daddy Forged - I carry a 50, 54 and 58 and love the feel and flight they provide. They kicked the Vokeys out of the bag and will likely stay there for a while. You can find good deals on used ones at callawaygolfpreowned.com - I've bought several there and the prices are typically pretty good.

Driver - Titleist TS3 10.5 (set to B1), Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X
    3W - Titleist TS3 15 (set to C1), Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7X
    2I - TaylorMade P790 UDI 18*, HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    4I - PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Tour, Project X LZ 6.0 120
    Wedges - Callaway Mack Daddy Forged (50.10, 54.10, 58.08), DG Tour Issue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    TaylorMade TP5x
  • jsnolandjsnoland Members Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

Although I'll say that the Vokey 50.08 was a really good gap wedge for me - was slightly edged out by the MD Forged due to the softer feel. But of all the Vokeys, that one was my favorite.

Driver - Titleist TS3 10.5 (set to B1), Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X
    3W - Titleist TS3 15 (set to C1), Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7X
    2I - TaylorMade P790 UDI 18*, HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    4I - PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Tour, Project X LZ 6.0 120
    Wedges - Callaway Mack Daddy Forged (50.10, 54.10, 58.08), DG Tour Issue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    TaylorMade TP5x
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The one that looks good to your eye.

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

With the 50-degree Vokeys, I played some "number" model back before the Spin Milled. Like 250 or 450 or something. Then when the grooves were shot I got a Spin Milled 50-degree and when it wore out it was a SM4 (I think) 50-degree. Between those three wedge I played for nearly a decade and they were my favorite club in the bag.

Been playing all sorts of "set" gap wedges or Callaways or Mizunos or whatever for the past few years. Going back to Vokey, in this case an SM6 50.12, has been wonderful. It's like I hit a shot, look up and the ball is flying right where I expect it be based on the feeling of contact. It's like a security blanket club, even if I'm playing bad if I can just get somewhere around the 100 yard marker I'm gonna be alright!

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • golfinrig24golfinrig24 Grande Prairie, ABMembers Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Mizuno T7 ion blue 50.08 just has a great shape.

• Sleeky_DSleeky_D ClubWRX Posts: 67 ClubWRX

@North Butte said:
    Not trying to thread-jack and I know OP was asking about lower-bounce options.

But literally the day after seeing this thread I picked up a Vokey SM6 50.12 and played it this weekend. Man I love that club. So much better than the GW from my JPX 900 Hot Metal set. I like a lot bounce, myself.

Sorry. Now back to suggestions for pmcuk's son o:)

So glad to read this. I just picked up a sm7 50(12) that I'm hoping will work out nicely for me since I prefer a lot of bounce. But to answer the OP question, I would highly recommend the TM milled grind 50(09). Loved the set up and feel of the wedge, but I just needed more bounce!

• HabrownleeHabrownlee Habrownlee Members Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have a mizuno raw finish 50 degree. Love the rust and it spins like crazy.

• kmckmc Members Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

Vokey 50/8. Just replaced my CF16 gap wedge. Real deal.

• ChemistChemist Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

I always recommend the Nike Engage wedges, I have a 50°, though it does have an 11° bounce and it's a great club, nice compact shape, I find them a nice weight and the turf interaction with the straight sole model I have is very good. However I also have the AW that matches my VRS Covert Irons, it's 48° with 8.5° of bounce and its really good as well, I swap them around from time to time, depending on my mood (and confidence with the wedges in general at the time of course!). I also always have a soft spot for the Mizuno MP-R series of wedges, another nice compact design that really performed for me, though those will be rare to find now.

WITB?
    Well, today.....
    Driver: Taylormade 2016 M2 9.5° Diamana Ahina Ion 60S
    Fairway: Callaway X2Hot Pro 5 Deep 18.5° Aldila ATX Tour Green 65S
    Irons: Nike Covert 3-PW KBS C-Taper 125 S+
    Wedges: Nike Covert AW & SW, KBS C-Taper 125 S+, Nike Engage 58° True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
    Putter: Cleveland Classic 2
    Ball: Dunlop DP1-3V
    If you can't enjoy the game with borrowed clubs, you need to find another game

• solidsnakeivsolidsnakeiv FloridaMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭

I know this will probably get some hate, but if you are a mid-handicapper...or even a single handicapper....the Mizuno JPX Gap Wedge that matches the 919 sets is 50 degrees and extremely easy to hit. I replaced my MD3 with it and have no regrets.

Wow, I hope the 919 gap wedge is better than the one came with my JPX 900 Hot Metal set. That one was a real dog. I hit a 52 degree Vokey a good 4-5 yards longer than the 50-degree set GW. And the 45-degree set PW was nearly 20 yards longer. Just a strangely poor performing club in such a "hot" and excellent set of irons.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • Bogey2BirdieBogey2Birdie West Palm BeachMembers Posts: 41 ✭✭

Same offset as your PW...if its more I am left of pin...or my fix is zipping through impact to straighten it out

Mizuno ST-190 9.5 / AD I-Z 8x
    TEE CB Pro f2 15 / Fuel 70x TS
    TEE CB Pro f2 18 / 757 Evo x
    Yonex Ezone MB Irons DGX100
    Miura Wedge Series 51,55,59 DG
    SC Red X5 Putter 33.75 / Tour B xs

• mark_panekmark_panek PennsylvaniaMembers Posts: 7 ✭✭

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S grind with 10 degrees of bounce is working well for me. I have a very flat swing and use the club for full shots from a variety of conditions (soft, firm, rough) with good results. Others I demoed and liked, Mizuno S18, Vokey S and F grinds. I used to play Cleveland wedges but don't like their current offerings. Callaway Mack Daddy 4 and Mizuno S18 are on deep discounts right now to make way for newer models.

Titleist 917 D3 Driver Fujikura speeder Pro TS 74 stiff shaft
    Titleist 917 F3 15 degree Diamana LTD White 80 stiff shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 21 degree Tensei Pro white 90HY stiff shaft
    Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW irons true temper dynamic gold AMT stiff shafts
    Mack Daddy 4 50 GW S200 shaft
    Cleveland CG15 54 SW
    Never Compromise Gambler Straight Putter 33" Super Stroke GTR 2.0 Pistol grip

• tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tlehmann said:
    Vokey dominates for a reason

Because they pay their players?

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
    edited Aug 14, 2019 3:16pm #49

@tgoodspe1991 said:

@tlehmann said:

I think you'd be surprised how little money changes hands, in total, for Tour players using Titleist clubs or Vokey wedges or Cameron putters. Per player using those clubs on Tour it is almost insignificant, although a few Brand Ambassadors do get substantial pay.

The notion that professionals playing for tens of millions of dollars in tournament purses per year are playing something other than the best club for their game is laughable.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@North Butte said:

@tgoodspe1991 said:

@tlehmann said:

I think you'd be surprised how little money changes hands, in total, for Tour players using Titleist clubs or Vokey wedges or Cameron putters. Per player using those clubs on Tour it is almost insignificant, although a few Brand Ambassadors do get substantial pay.

The notion that professionals playing for tens of millions of dollars in tournament purses per year are playing something other than the best club for their game is laughable.

I dunno. Xander Schauffele talked about how he switched to Oydssey because they had a promo going on paying players and he thought "Might as well start making some money." It ended up working well for him so he stuck with it, but I'd bet there are plenty of guys outside the Top-50 that are looking for any cash they can get. The PGA Tour isn't a guarantee for life so they have to get what they can while they have the opportunity.

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@tgoodspe1991 said:

@North Butte said:

@tgoodspe1991 said:

@tlehmann said:

I dunno. Xander Schauffele talked about how he switched to Oydssey because they had a promo going on paying players and he thought "Might as well start making some money." It ended up working well for him so he stuck with it, but I'd bet there are plenty of guys outside the Top-50 that are looking for any cash they can get. The PGA Tour isn't a guarantee for life so they have to get what they can while they have the opportunity.

The PGA Tour is absolutely loaded with stories of players not using anything without being paid. It's only been recently that some have gone endorsement-free, and they appear to be the large minority.

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    3w: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    2h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, Nv105 stiff -or- 1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind TW282, Precision 6.5
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS -or- Ram TG-898 56*, DGS
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • duffduff Members Posts: 271 ✭✭✭✭

@pmcuk said:
    I use a KZG forged 50/6 wedge which I'm very fond of. My son is looking for a new 50* wedge to replace a Vokey with 12* bounce, which he finds is too much. So what would be a good option for a 50* wedge with bounce 6-10*? Could be forged or not. Could also be a gap wedge from a set of irons.

Suggest some good ones!

As others have mentioned, you can't go wrong with the Vokey 50 8* wedge. The 50 would make an excellent gap type wedge and 8* bounce is a good all around bounce. Not too low or too high.

edited Aug 14, 2019 8:27pm #53

Sorry to have encouraged the thread-jack into "pay for play" among the millionaires on the PGA Tour.

My reasons for liking Vokey wedges probably have more to do with them being the choice of with my teaching pro, his assistant, the previous assistant he had before that as well both the pros on staff at my club. Club pros with Callaway, Mizuno or Titleist bags always seem to have Vokey wedges (and Scotty putters) funny as it may seem.

Our club pro is hooked up with Mizuno and thinks the sun rises and sets on MP irons. I asked him once if he'd ever tried any of the Mizuno wedges and he looked at my like I was out of my mind. He said, "Vokeys. Always Vokeys".

Along with Pro V1 it's one of the golf products that have remarkable loyalty from long-time users.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • jdvela55jdvela55 Sin City, NVMembers Posts: 553 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mack Daddy 2 50*/12. Favorite club in my bag.

FORMERLY KNOWN AS AZTEC575

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Callaway Xhot 3 deep Oban Revenge
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Callaway Apex 5 - PW w/ KBS V Steel
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
    Callaway MD 2 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges
  • Merlin4542Merlin4542 Henrik Fan MidwestMembers Posts: 58 ✭✭

Callaway MD3 50*/10

Big Bertha Fusion 10.5 PX LZ 50 (6.0)
    Apex 2016 Hybrids 20/23 Kuro Kage Black HYB (Stiff)
    Steelhead XR 4+ (16) Mitsubishi Tensei CK 65 (Stiff)
    Apex Pro 2016 5-PW PX LZ 6.0
    MD 3 Wedges 50
    /54* KBS Tour V Wedge (S Grind)
    PM Grind 58* KBS Tour V Wedge
    White Hot RX V-Line Fang

• agadawg17171agadawg17171 Bomb and Gouge The ATLMembers Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Why is he wanting less bounce? It may not be a bounce issue and more of a grind issue. Most will tell you bounce is your friend! :D It would be easier to recommend something if I knew why the 12* was too much.... Also what kid of shots does he use it for the most?

Taylormade- M6 9.0 Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 60X
    Taylormade- M6 Rocket 14* Fujikura 2.0 Tour Tour Spec 70X
    Callaway- APEX 19* Hybrid PX Evenflow Black 6.5
    Taylormade- P790 4-9i SteelFiber 110 S
    Vokey- SM7 46F, 50F, 56S, 60D DGTi S400
    PXG- Gunboat Mini H
    WITB Link
  • HaberHaber Members Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

I just picked up a cobra king black gap wedge to go with my cb/mb set and have been really impressed with it. The versatile grind has 8° bounce and is great on full shots and around the greens.

• johnnythundersjohnnythunders ClubWRX Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mizuno jpx 919 forged gap wedge, not the non forged chronology ones. They come up on eBay used or lightly used for less than 100. I have two, one with a dynamic gold 105 stiff and one with a gold 95 regular. Trying decide which one to keep. I use it from ever where, replaced my sandwedge for chipping. They are 51 and not sure what the bounce is but it is so accurate and feels so solid.

2019bag Big Bertha Fusion 10.5 Fuji evo 661 Stiff, Mizuno st190 5 atmos red 6 regular,  Epic flash 7 Fujikura xlr8 Regular, Rogue 11 fairway wood with Wishon s2s 85 gram black regular, Epic Flash Hybrid 6,  Mizuno 919 fli hi 6/7 kbs tour 90 regular, 8/9, PW Cobra F-max one length smacwrap 780 regular, Pw/Gw Mizuno  919 forged gold dynamic 95 regular, Mizuno s18 56 wedge gold dynamic regular, Toulon Austin, Ball Bridgestone b rx
  • pmcukpmcuk Members Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I see a lot of love for the Cleveland RTX. What's the feel like - firm or a little softer?

• howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Firmer than Mizuno, but not a big deal IMO. Due to the blade shape I find all the wedges I’ve played feel soft enough out of the middle and clicky off the toe. I have Mizuno irons and Cleveland RTX4 wedges; the variety of shots and lies dealt with by the wedges makes shape, grind, and look more important than outright impact feel.

• AwalkspoiledAwalkspoiled Members Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well, when you figure out which one you're keeping sell me the other!

@johnnythunders said:
    Mizuno jpx 919 forged gap wedge, not the non forged chronology ones. They come up on eBay used or lightly used for less than 100. I have two, one with a dynamic gold 105 stiff and one with a gold 95 regular. Trying decide which one to keep. I use it from ever where, replaced my sandwedge for chipping. They are 51 and not sure what the bounce is but it is so accurate and feels so solid.

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
    Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
    Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
    Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
    6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
    Scratch D/D wedges
    Bettinardi QB3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file