What to do when your bag setup just feels perfect?

jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a senior golfer, 71 years old, and admittedly a slow swing speed. Started golfing in 2015. Currently, I'm guessing I've got about a 12 handicap. I've not done any real handicap calculations but that's my next goal.

I've been looking and testing equipment for the last 4 years and finally.... finally, feel like I have the perfect setup. I've got the right driver (Rogue Draw 10.5), right woods (Epic Flash 3w, 5w, and Rogue X 3h), right irons (Apex CF19's with Recoils 5-PW), right wedges (MD4 48*, 54*, and 58*) and finally, the right putter (Odyssey Stroke Lab One). I keep looking for something better, but just don't see it. Everything seems to be working for me and I'm to the point where I just don't want to change to something that's going to adversely affect my game. Is this a normal progression from "willing to try anything new or different" to "nope, not going to do it unless I know it will help"? Forgot to add that I'm playing the Snell MTB-X ball and once again, every other ball seems like a step down. I've got the money to spend, but don't see anything worth taking a chance on.

Comments

• Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Start over with a new Driver of course

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time for a backup bag. Have fun

• jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭

@Carl Spackler3 said:
    Start over with a new Driver of course

Why didn't I think of that. Actually, I have been thinking of that. Maybe an Epic Flash or Titleist T1/T2. Any suggestions?

@sandtrap said:
    A real wrx starts on a “back up bag” or goes in to a rebuild because there has to be something better or missing

A backup bag could come in handy just to sort of mix things up and for comparison purposes. Thinking that Titleist might be the way to go. Waiting for some comparison reviews on the new Titleist irons.

• tetstets Members Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

"What to do when your bag setup just feels perfect?" .... find something more perfect!

• BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,872 mod
    edited Aug 13, 2019 10:57pm #9

@jjfcpa said:
    I'm a senior golfer, 71 years old, and admittedly a slow swing speed. Started golfing in 2015. Currently, I'm guessing I've got about a 12 handicap. I've not done any real handicap calculations but that's my next goal. I keep looking for something better, but just don't see it.

I haven't find any better gear in my search of 45 years. Of course, drivers/woods have changed for the better but irons remain the same, at least for me. By the way, great handicap based on your short period of play!

WITVB (What's in the Vessel bag) - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,580 ClubWRX

I really enjoy reading your posts. Why not travel and fill us in on the best golf courses you have played lately??? I'm serious! Forget the clubs and spend it on some nice courses in your area.

GBB Fusion HT 13.5 might change
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 6-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s normally the time it snows!!

TAYLORMADE M5 TOUR 9* SMOKE GREEN 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    COBRA BIOCELL+ 13.5* MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    COBRA CB SATIN 3-6 CATALYST 100 6.5
    COBRA MB SATIN 7-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 50* MODUS 120X
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 54* MODUS 120X
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

@platgof said:
    I really enjoy reading your posts. Why not travel and fill us in on the best golf courses you have played lately??? I'm serious! Forget the clubs and spend it on some nice courses in your area.

Ps...I agree with this. Starts golf just a few years back I’m assuming after retirement and goes full tilt WRX’er and gets down to around a 12 in a few years and constantly looking to improve. Who doesn’t like reading that.

SNELL MTB-X

• stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@GHIN n Juice said:
    Go play!

^^^This^^^

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7

@platgof said:

This Saturday I'm playing Iron Horse in Ashland, Nebraska. It's a beautiful course about 30 minutes from Omaha. One of the most scenic courses in what is generally pretty mundane courses. Here's a link if you're interested. First time I will have played it this year.

golfironhorse.com/-the-course

• craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have had that experience then you pick something new up and hit it and suddenly your old equipment doesn't feel the same.

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Obviuously cancel your WRX account. It will sooner or later convince you, you don't have the perfect bag 😎
    But a serious answer to your driver question. Give the TS1 a go at a Titleist Thursday. You'll be amazed at what thst driver does for those of us that don't swing at WRX speed.

PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Backup bag or headcover search

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
    4 Hybrid...
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
    Ping Ketsch Mid 
  • MountainKingMountainKing Members Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Go play is the best comment. I try clubs every year but if they're going to replace what I have they have to be better than what I have. I haven't found anything that fits that in the last few years other than having to change a wedge due to grooves wearing out.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade Stage 2 HL Accra FX 300
    Callaway Razr Tour Hybrid 19* Nunchuk
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    Tour Preferred 50/54 S400
    TM HI Toe 58 ATV S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

• Johnny_FairwayJohnny_Fairway South Jersey (Philly Burbs)Members Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe put together a vintage set for a Sunday bag. You'd get to try a different look every once in awhile, without any feeling that you're auditioning new clubs for your usual setup.

• Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 1:01am #20

I felt I had a perfect set-up all of last year and mid-way this season until my swing got stronger; coveting a 2 iron to replace my U45UDI. The Callaway two iron felt better than my Mizuno MP18s that it ended up replacing the whole set just this week!.

Epic SZ 11* Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    Callaway Apex 18mb (2-PW)
    RTX-4 54* and 60*
    Odyssey RX9 Putter
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had a good bag going and just sold 10 of my clubs haha. It's all for fun. Enjoy the game, enjoy the experiment, and never be stagnant!

Cobra F9 Speedback HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 816H1 20° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey 52f 56f 60d Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just play more!

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 mid grinds
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • chadly643chadly643 Members Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭

Enjoy playing and improving!

Probably time for a launch monitor, indoor simulator, high end training gadgets, custom backyard putting green, etc. The WRX in you doesn’t just end with finding 14 clubs 😝

• shinobishinobi Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

Salvador Dali said it best - "have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."

@mogc60 said:

@platgof said:

Ps...I agree with this. Starts golf just a few years back I’m assuming after retirement and goes full tilt WRX’er and gets down to around a 12 in a few years and constantly looking to improve. Who doesn’t like reading that.

Actually, I'm not retired. Still working full time, but since I own the company, I can afford to take off regularly to play golf. The first 2-3 years, I worked on my game really hard. I was determined to fix my swing so it was at least consistent if not long. Really focused on the short game, which I have to depend on because my GIR are not dependable. Pitching, chipping, and putting are the strong part of my game.

Thanks for that comment. Very encouraging. I'd like to get down to a single digit handicap but I know how difficult that is.

Go play is great advice, and I do, as often as I can find playing partners.

• MacklessdaddyMacklessdaddy Members Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tets said:
    "What to do when your bag setup just feels perfect?" .... find something more perfect!

@tets said:

@tets said:

@tets said:

@tets said:

@tets said:

You spelled perfecter wrong

Ping G 10.5 Kuro Kage
    Ping G 3W
    Ping G 4 Hybrid Tour 90
    Ping G410 PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland CBX 54 58
    Odyssey White Ice DART
  • jbrunkjbrunk Central IllinoisMembers Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Shoes, because you can always play in style!
    2. Headcovers, it’s a colorful world (full of skulls, apparently)
    3. Backup putter, maybe a mid-mallet, something to keep warm under that extra putter cover
    4. 2nd driver, not a mini driver, but a lower-launching, penetrating flight for windy days
    5. New bag, all those colorful covers need a blank slate so they really pop
    6. The ground is really firming up (or softening) out there, time for some lower (or higher) bounce wedges.
    7. ****, I wish I had a 4 hybrid. You, I mean...YOU wish you had a 4 hybrid. Sure would make that #7 par 3 an easy approach.
    8. Okay, so now you’ve got a second bag, driver, putter, hybrid, & wedges; so...time for reserve irons! The 5° gaps in the scoring irons are always leaving me between clubs, so, how about blades? Yeah, I’ll find some nice 10yr old blades with a little life left. I’d better go demo some new blades to get a feel for what I like. [cue MP-20 release]
    9. Ok, I really wasn’t going to buy a whole other set, but I’m liking that 2nd driver. And the whole teal driver and green/yellow fairways thing isn’t jiving with my fancy red-yellow-black head cover scheme. Hmm, F9 is getting pretty good reviews....
    10. That’s it. I’m tired of mixing and matching between all these sets. I’m gonna trade it in and go all PING.
    11. Oh yeah, I guess I should get a PING bag to go with all my PING clubs.
    12. Sweet! My bag is set! Time to start looking at shoes again.
    Cobra F9 1W Rogue MAX 65
    Cobra F6 3W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Cobra F9 Tour 5W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Ping G 4Hy NV 2KXV Green 85H
    Callaway XF/MB 5i-PW Modus3 120
    Mizuno S18 52 56 60
    Piretti Teramo CS

@jjfcpa said:

@mogc60 said:

@platgof said:

Actually, I'm not retired. Still working full time, but since I own the company, I can afford to take off regularly to play golf. The first 2-3 years, I worked on my game really hard. I was determined to fix my swing so it was at least consistent if not long. Really focused on the short game, which I have to depend on because my GIR are not dependable. Pitching, chipping, and putting are the strong part of my game.

Thanks for that comment. Very encouraging. I'd like to get down to a single digit handicap but I know how difficult that is.

Well if you work that hard on your game I’m not surprised you’re still at it full time with your business. You’ll get to single digits...you have the mentality to do it. Kudos to you...golf is a tough game, but the best and most rewarding game there is. I’m glad you found it...

SNELL MTB-X

• GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jjfcpa said:

@platgof said:

This Saturday I'm playing Iron Horse in Ashland, Nebraska. It's a beautiful course about 30 minutes from Omaha. One of the most scenic courses in what is generally pretty mundane courses. Here's a link if you're interested. First time I will have played it this year.

golfironhorse.com/-the-course

Iron Horse is a really fun course. It has a few wonky holes but overall it’s a great place to play.

Callaway Rogue 9.0*
    Taylormade 2016 M2 16.5* fairway wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
    Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #7
    Cleveland RTX 4 wedges 50*, 54* and 58*
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 21,894 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try to get out to Wild Horse in Gothenburg. It's worth the 7 hour round trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file