Titleist TS4

 philt90 ·  
philt90philt90 Members  48WRX Points: 35Handicap: 15Posts: 48 Bunkers
Joined:  in Equipment #1

Any reviews on this driver, looking at changing from a TS3 to a TS4 pretty solid ball striker so just a preferred look and lower spin ?? anyone made the jump or put the TS4 through it paces

Posted:
«1
2

Comments

  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  2975WRX Points: 708Handicap: 6Posts: 2,975 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #2

    I think it’s fairly niche due to the smaller head size and lower spin. I’ve hit one and like it, but didn’t track the numbers.

    Im hoping to do a low spin review in a few weeks if I have the time.

    Posted:

    As of 6/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110 X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400
    4 iron / utility Sub 70 699 with Proforce 85 gram X
    50, 54, 60 Vokeys
    Tank Counter Balance #7
    Driver and Putter are set for now. Wedges are safe for time being.

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • StarFleetGolferStarFleetGolfer Members  10659WRX Points: 310Posts: 10,659 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3

    Longest best driver I've ever had. It knocked my f9, epic flash and m5 out of the bag.

    Posted:

    Callaway Mavrick
    Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W
    Callaway Superhybrid
    Titleist 510 20
    Titleist T100
    Vokey SM7 54 and 60
    Scotty Cameron T22

  • PappyVanWinkle53PappyVanWinkle53 Members  503WRX Points: 245Handicap: 2.8Posts: 503 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #4

    On -, @StarFleetGolfer said:

    Longest best driver I've ever had. It knocked my f9, epic flash and m5 out of the bag.

    Wow!! I need to check it out.

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Speedback 8 degree, Oban Devotion 7 X
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB
    Titleist T200, Aerotech SteelFiber i110 Taper
    Mizuno T7 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8 putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1
  • provxprovx Members  876WRX Points: 113Posts: 876 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #5

    I hit it on trackman the other day, it seemed more fade biased than ts3 to me. Ts3 and ts4 were spinning the same for me, but ts3 i was hitting straight and ts4 were fades so I suspect ts4 would spin less if i was squaring it. Because of the fade/ toe bias the face felt hard to square and heavy and therefore swung it about 3 mph slower with the same shaft for some reason. The head does what it is designed to do though

    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
    Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
    Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
    Biomech Acculock
    Snell MTB Black
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2588WRX Points: 1,634Handicap: 5Posts: 2,588 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6

    I'm not particularly high spin. My F9 sits around 2200-2300rpm. TS3 was 1900-2100 and TS4 was was down around 1500-1600. It looks fantastic but IMO it fits a very small portion of skilled golfers. TS3 is plenty low spin for most and a fair bit more forgiving.

    Posted:
  • MakidebinensMakidebinens Lynx Clan Members  141WRX Points: 39Posts: 141 Fairways
    Joined:  #7

    I've been gaming it since it came out in July. I have always played the tour sized drivers heads, Titleist 910D3, 915D3,917D3, M1-440, M3-440, have always prefered the smaller CC heads. Yup, I have tried the 460's but seems like your just swinging at the ball & know it will be Ok.. With the 8.5degree TS4, right off the bat, 1st swing and hearing that sound, I know i made the right decision on my purchase. Always nice to see the ball do what you want it to do when struck properly and more importantly, it allows for more focus and attention on the strike. If your a Titileist player, your gonna love it.

    Posted:
    "keep it in the short Grass"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members  1298WRX Points: 209Handicap: It is ClimbingPosts: 1,298 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #8

    Zero doubt that the TS4 is the longest driver I’ve ever had. I like the 430cc head. To be fair, loved the TS3. I did not find it to be particularly more forgiving than the TS4, though. My good passes generate better results with the TS4, my bad swings generated less than desirable results with both.

    Posted:
  • golfleftygolflefty Members  564WRX Points: 72Posts: 564 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #9

    Great sound, looks beautiful, and longest I've hit..... But got me into far too much trouble on bad days. Hit 1 fairway in my last round with it. Moved to Epic Flash and am finding much more consistency. 14/14 fairways last weekend. If you're a very low spin player TS4 may be perfect for you. To make it work I think I needed to move out of the low/low shaft profile I've always used. Biggest problem for me with it was I couldnt hit a draw due to lack of spin. I prefer to play a draw, but couldn't keep them in the air with TS4.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5* Fuji Ventus Black 6x
    Titleist TS3 15* Fuji Pro TS 73x
    Titleist 980 17* Project X black
    Titleist 718T-MB 3&4 Modus 125x
    Titleist 718mb 5-9 Modus 125x
    Titleist SM7 46* Modus 125x
    Titleist SM7 50* Modus 125x
    Titleist SM5 58* Modus 125w
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #7
    WITB Link
  • wam78wam78 Members  758WRX Points: 242Handicap: NAPosts: 758 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #10

    The ts4 is one of the better looking new drivers this cycle! Feels really solid and hot off the face. I love smaller size drivers and you really have to in order to appreciate it. If it wasn’t so expensive it would be in the bag.

    Posted:
    Ts3 8.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2 
    Ts3 15* Diamana S+ LTD Blueboard 70s tipped .5"
    U500 2 Iron Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
    Bridgestone Tour B JGR h2 4i Modus 120s 
    Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 5-pw Modus 120s
    SM8 Raw 50F, 54S bent to 53, 58S Modus 125 Wedge
    Toulon Las Vegas  KBS CT Tour Matte, Iomic I-Classic Mid Black 
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members  1298WRX Points: 209Handicap: It is ClimbingPosts: 1,298 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #11

    On -, @golflefty said:

    Great sound, looks beautiful, and longest I've hit..... But got me into far too much trouble on bad days. Hit 1 fairway in my last round with it. Moved to Epic Flash and am finding much more consistency. 14/14 fairways last weekend. If you're a very low spin player TS4 may be perfect for you. To make it work I think I needed to move out of the low/low shaft profile I've always used. Biggest problem for me with it was I couldnt hit a draw due to lack of spin. I prefer to play a draw, but couldn't keep them in the air with TS4

    Golf equipment is certainly unique in that what we use needs to fit us. I, respectfully, think that you need to be a high spin generating player to benefit from the TS4. If the TS3 is already knocking enough spin off for you, then you are in good shape and wouldn’t benefit from the TS4. I really enjoy the TS4 aesthetically, by site and sound, and play it as well as any driver I’ve had. May be the driver shaft combo, may be the driver head, may be my swing today....but I was hitting fairways today and hitting draws. Just an observation not that either of us is wrong, but that the equipment needs to work with the player, and the player needs to work with the equipment for it to be a good fit.

    Posted:
  • golfleftygolflefty Members  564WRX Points: 72Posts: 564 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #12

    On -, @SBH9458 said:

    On -, @golflefty said:

    Great sound, looks beautiful, and longest I've hit..... But got me into far too much trouble on bad days. Hit 1 fairway in my last round with it. Moved to Epic Flash and am finding much more consistency. 14/14 fairways last weekend. If you're a very low spin player TS4 may be perfect for you. To make it work I think I needed to move out of the low/low shaft profile I've always used. Biggest problem for me with it was I couldnt hit a draw due to lack of spin. I prefer to play a draw, but couldn't keep them in the air with TS4

    Golf equipment is certainly unique in that what we use needs to fit us. I, respectfully, think that you need to be a high spin generating player to benefit from the TS4. If the TS3 is already knocking enough spin off for you, then you are in good shape and wouldn’t benefit from the TS4. I really enjoy the TS4 aesthetically, by site and sound, and play it as well as any driver I’ve had. May be the driver shaft combo, may be the driver head, may be my swing today....but I was hitting fairways today and hitting draws. Just an observation not that either of us is wrong, but that the equipment needs to work with the player, and the player needs to work with the equipment for it to be a good fit.

    Agreed, think it's a great great driver for high spin players. Unfortunately I'm just not well enough into that category.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5* Fuji Ventus Black 6x
    Titleist TS3 15* Fuji Pro TS 73x
    Titleist 980 17* Project X black
    Titleist 718T-MB 3&4 Modus 125x
    Titleist 718mb 5-9 Modus 125x
    Titleist SM7 46* Modus 125x
    Titleist SM7 50* Modus 125x
    Titleist SM5 58* Modus 125w
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #7
    WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BookerBooker Members  801WRX Points: 104Posts: 801 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #13

    I demoed it on the range, ballspeed was good, right on par with my f9 and T.I. 16 m2. It's not consistent enough for me to game, anything toward to toe just noise dived. Like most have stated the ts3 is a more forgiving option. Reminds me of the 16m1 430.

    Posted:
  • philt90philt90 Members  48WRX Points: 35Handicap: 15Posts: 48 Bunkers
    Joined:  #14

    Did anyone loft up from the TS3, Im playing a 8.5 TS3 but iv changed my swing and need more loft now. so if I needed say 9.5 would you go 10.5 in TS4

    Posted:
  • uglandeuglande Members  430WRX Points: 299Posts: 430 Greens
    Joined:  #15

    I play the TS3 in 8.5 and was hitting the TS4 9.5 with a similar launch. Spin was definitely a little lower with TS4. I prefer the smaller head (and I like to play a shorter shaft). However, while my numbers were good with the TS4, the sweet spot seemed much smaller and I got quite a lot of feedback even on shots I hit close to bullseye. So the feel and consistency (forgiveness, really) was lower on TS4 and so, at least for now, I'm sticking with my TS3. I would love to experiment with a TS4 with a 44.50" shaft. Winter project. : )

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3  1W / 3W / 5W  (Hzrdus Yellow HC)
    Mizuno MP-20 HMB  2I / 4I (Nippon Modus3 Tour 120)
    Mizuno MP-20 MB  5I - PW (Nippon Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist SM8  53-11 / 58-08 (Nippon Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist Special Select Flowback 5.5 | ProV1x #68
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3891WRX Points: 857Handicap: 9Posts: 3,891 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #16

    Can anyone comment on face setting? If I loft up does it close face? Loft down open it? Or is the weight options sole place where you get your desired disposition of shot shape?

    Posted:
  • cmb71cmb71 ClubWRX  1529WRX Points: 213Posts: 1,529 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 27, 2019 #17

    Yes, the face angle closes when lofting up on these... it opens when lowering loft.
    Edit: I don't find that it is unappealing though (if you are averse to a closed or open face...). It's mostly negligible. I prefer the C1 setting myself because of the flatter lie angle, but to my eye it looks almost equal to the Standard A1 setting. See the Titleist True Fit charts, but beware they change for RH or LH.

    Posted:
    PING G410 LST 10.5 Ventus 60X
    PING G410 LST 14.5 EvenFlow Black 85X
    PING i210 3-UW Project X LZ 6.5
    PING Glide 3.0 54SS & 60TS Project X LZ 6.0
    Odyssey RSX Milled #1
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6085WRX Points: 1,542Handicap: 3Posts: 6,085 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #18

    I game TS3 and will keep gaming TS3 but I did give the TS4 a go. I just couldn’t spin it enough but then, lower spin is exactly what it is lined up to do. On my best swings, I was hitting absolute bombs but bad swings and the ball was just falling out of the sky. Definitely a niche product but then for the guys that need it, this will be a superb driver.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 712U 3 Stiff Graphite Design Tour AD DI
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3891WRX Points: 857Handicap: 9Posts: 3,891 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #19

    On -, @cmb71 said:

    Yes, the face angle closes when lofting up on these... it opens when lowering loft.
    Edit: I don't find that it is unappealing though (if you are averse to a closed or open face...). It's mostly negligible. I prefer the C1 setting myself because of the flatter lie angle, but to my eye it looks almost equal to the Standard A1 setting. See the Titleist True Fit charts, but beware they change for RH or LH.

    Thanks, pretty much what I suspected. I'm considering the T4 in 10.5 so if I desire to go lower it will open up. I have a Mizuno in 9.5 and would not mind it with more loft but the closing of face is irksome to me and don't want to repeat that mistake. I'll check out True Fit.

    Posted:
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1953WRX Points: 1,112Posts: 1,953 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #20

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @cmb71 said:

    Yes, the face angle closes when lofting up on these... it opens when lowering loft.
    Edit: I don't find that it is unappealing though (if you are averse to a closed or open face...). It's mostly negligible. I prefer the C1 setting myself because of the flatter lie angle, but to my eye it looks almost equal to the Standard A1 setting. See the Titleist True Fit charts, but beware they change for RH or LH.

    Thanks, pretty much what I suspected. I'm considering the T4 in 10.5 so if I desire to go lower it will open up. I have a Mizuno in 9.5 and would not mind it with more loft but the closing of face is irksome to me and don't want to repeat that mistake. I'll check out True Fit.

    It's loft or face angle, not both no?

    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1081535/how-adjustable-drivers-actually-work-everyone-should-be-required-to-watch-this-to-be-allowed-to-pos#latest

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3891WRX Points: 857Handicap: 9Posts: 3,891 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #21

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @cmb71 said:

    Yes, the face angle closes when lofting up on these... it opens when lowering loft.
    Edit: I don't find that it is unappealing though (if you are averse to a closed or open face...). It's mostly negligible. I prefer the C1 setting myself because of the flatter lie angle, but to my eye it looks almost equal to the Standard A1 setting. See the Titleist True Fit charts, but beware they change for RH or LH.

    Thanks, pretty much what I suspected. I'm considering the T4 in 10.5 so if I desire to go lower it will open up. I have a Mizuno in 9.5 and would not mind it with more loft but the closing of face is irksome to me and don't want to repeat that mistake. I'll check out True Fit.

    It's loft or face angle, not both no?

    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1081535/how-adjustable-drivers-actually-work-everyone-should-be-required-to-watch-this-to-be-allowed-to-pos#latest

    Dunno, but when I tweak loft, face angle or how she sits changes too. From what I've heard that's SOP on adjustable but not entirely all.

    Posted:
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1953WRX Points: 1,112Posts: 1,953 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #22

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @cmb71 said:

    Yes, the face angle closes when lofting up on these... it opens when lowering loft.
    Edit: I don't find that it is unappealing though (if you are averse to a closed or open face...). It's mostly negligible. I prefer the C1 setting myself because of the flatter lie angle, but to my eye it looks almost equal to the Standard A1 setting. See the Titleist True Fit charts, but beware they change for RH or LH.

    Thanks, pretty much what I suspected. I'm considering the T4 in 10.5 so if I desire to go lower it will open up. I have a Mizuno in 9.5 and would not mind it with more loft but the closing of face is irksome to me and don't want to repeat that mistake. I'll check out True Fit.

    It's loft or face angle, not both no?

    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1081535/how-adjustable-drivers-actually-work-everyone-should-be-required-to-watch-this-to-be-allowed-to-pos#latest

    Dunno, but when I tweak loft, face angle or how she sits changes too. From what I've heard that's SOP on adjustable but not entirely all.

    The point of his post is if you have a 10.5 head and loft it down, you either have a 9.75 loft and square face or a 10.5 loft and an open face. You don't have a 9.75 loft and an open face.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3891WRX Points: 857Handicap: 9Posts: 3,891 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #23

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @cmb71 said:

    Yes, the face angle closes when lofting up on these... it opens when lowering loft.
    Edit: I don't find that it is unappealing though (if you are averse to a closed or open face...). It's mostly negligible. I prefer the C1 setting myself because of the flatter lie angle, but to my eye it looks almost equal to the Standard A1 setting. See the Titleist True Fit charts, but beware they change for RH or LH.

    Thanks, pretty much what I suspected. I'm considering the T4 in 10.5 so if I desire to go lower it will open up. I have a Mizuno in 9.5 and would not mind it with more loft but the closing of face is irksome to me and don't want to repeat that mistake. I'll check out True Fit.

    It's loft or face angle, not both no?

    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1081535/how-adjustable-drivers-actually-work-everyone-should-be-required-to-watch-this-to-be-allowed-to-pos#latest

    Dunno, but when I tweak loft, face angle or how she sits changes too. From what I've heard that's SOP on adjustable but not entirely all.

    The point of his post is if you have a 10.5 head and loft it down, you either have a 9.75 loft and square face or a 10.5 loft and an open face. You don't have a 9.75 loft and an open face.

    True but it changes how it soles, how it "looks" at that point. I don't like drivers that I'm re-tweaking in my grip, I like to grip them as they sole on the ground and that "look" is better when it's open faced.I like anti-left drivers. So when a an OEM offers 8.5, 9.5, 10.5 options I would think that taking a 10.5 version and tweeking down would give me a more open faced "look" than an 8.5* tweaked up.My limited experience with 2 adjustable drivers suggests that would be the case.

    Posted:
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1953WRX Points: 1,112Posts: 1,953 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #24

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @cmb71 said:

    Yes, the face angle closes when lofting up on these... it opens when lowering loft.
    Edit: I don't find that it is unappealing though (if you are averse to a closed or open face...). It's mostly negligible. I prefer the C1 setting myself because of the flatter lie angle, but to my eye it looks almost equal to the Standard A1 setting. See the Titleist True Fit charts, but beware they change for RH or LH.

    Thanks, pretty much what I suspected. I'm considering the T4 in 10.5 so if I desire to go lower it will open up. I have a Mizuno in 9.5 and would not mind it with more loft but the closing of face is irksome to me and don't want to repeat that mistake. I'll check out True Fit.

    It's loft or face angle, not both no?

    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1081535/how-adjustable-drivers-actually-work-everyone-should-be-required-to-watch-this-to-be-allowed-to-pos#latest

    Dunno, but when I tweak loft, face angle or how she sits changes too. From what I've heard that's SOP on adjustable but not entirely all.

    The point of his post is if you have a 10.5 head and loft it down, you either have a 9.75 loft and square face or a 10.5 loft and an open face. You don't have a 9.75 loft and an open face.

    True but it changes how it soles, how it "looks" at that point. I don't like drivers that I'm re-tweaking in my grip, I like to grip them as they sole on the ground and that "look" is better when it's open faced.I like anti-left drivers. So when a an OEM offers 8.5, 9.5, 10.5 options I would think that taking a 10.5 version and tweeking down would give me a more open faced "look" than an 8.5* tweaked up.My limited experience with 2 adjustable drivers suggests that would be the case.

    Got it. Seems like you are more lofting it down on the hosel for face adjustment, not actually lower loft. I've always been able to play the Titleist drivers in standard or lower loft setting and try to square the face / not sole the club. But they do look different.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • keith723keith723 ClubWRX  2086WRX Points: 139Posts: 2,086 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Sep 28, 2019 #25

    I think many of these super low-spin drivers (TS4, M5 440, etc.) are really for people that have a negative angle of attack and put more spin on the ball than they should due to that. The TS3 is pretty low spin and with the right loft and shaft, it should be plenty suitable for very high swing speeds assuming you have a good, positive angle of attack that you should with a driver.

    For reference I gamed an 8.5* TS3 w/ Evenflow T1100 White 65 6.5 for quite a while. When I demo'd the TS4, the only head they had was a 9.5*, but I was able to use my shaft and I was getting the same spin with the 9.5* TS4 as I did with my 8.5* TS3 (right around 1700~1800) both in the C1 setting (standard loft, just a bit flatter lie angle). Launch angle was higher than I wanted with the TS4 with the added loft, but that made it pretty clear that no doubt the TS4 is lower spin. The TS4 was also noticeably less forgiving.

    For me, since I was getting pretty ideal numbers with the TS3 already, there was no advantage with the TS4. I'd have to go down to the 8.5* head to get the right launch and then my spin numbers would be too low. And again, added bonus that the TS3 is 460cc and more forgiving. That said, playing the M5 now with the same shaft, loft set to 8.25* and it's just as long as my TS3 with better feel (to me), same forgiveness, and I hit it quite a bit straighter. I struggled with a bit of a hook with the TS3 where the M5 sits more open and I just hit it straighter.

    TS3/TS4 and M5 are excellent drivers. Just a matter of preference and what suits your swing type.

    Posted:

    TM M5 8.25*, PX "HC" HZRDUS Black 65 6.5

    Callaway Epic 14*, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70x

    PING G410 Hybrid 18*, GD Tour AD-DI 85x

    Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0

    TM MG2 Raw 54.11, Hi-Toe 60 ATV, PX 6.0

    TM Spider X Copper, 35"

  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1953WRX Points: 1,112Posts: 1,953 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #26

    On -, @keith723 said:

    I think many of these super low-spin drivers (TS4, M5 440, etc.) are really for people that have a negative angle of attack and put more spin on the ball than they should due to that. The TS3 is pretty low spin and with the right loft and shaft, it should be plenty suitable for very high swing speeds assuming you have a good, positive angle of attack that you should with a driver.

    I generally agree with the concept of playing the bigger head and tweaking things through loft/shaft while retaining the forgiveness. That being said, I've never had as much luck that way (although I haven't tried every combo on the planet either). For years, I had a 983E that I would play a couple of times a season. I always liked the ball flight, and thought the well-struck shots were just as long as anything else. But it wasn't a good decision to play it all the time vs. the bigger heads. I finally found a 915 D4 that produced a similar ball flight, and have been hitting it for a while now. I will say that I tend to get my best results when keeping my AOA around flat, plus or minus a small amount (not saying this is the best way to do things, just that I hit the ball better this way vs. trying to hit up on it considerably). I also like looking down at more loft at address (I don't really care about the head shape/size itself), and have found I can play a little higher loft with this head vs. a D2 or D3.

    Unfortunately I've only hit a TS2, and not a TS3, which many people say and the design specs seem to suggest, is an advancement. I'd like to hit a TS4 (I think they just arrived where I am), although I have a feeling that the TS3 may work pretty well for me. I also think any of today's heads, even the 430-440 ones, are not overly difficult to hit, although I get the point that even more MOI is better if you can keep everything else about how the ball flies the same.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2751WRX Points: 956Posts: 2,751 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #27

    On -, @keith723 said:

    I think many of these super low-spin drivers (TS4, M5 440, etc.) are really for people that have a negative angle of attack and put more spin on the ball than they should due to that. The TS3 is pretty low spin and with the right loft and shaft, it should be plenty suitable for very high swing speeds assuming you have a good, positive angle of attack that you should with a driver.

    For reference I gamed an 8.5* TS3 w/ Evenflow T1100 White 65 6.5 for quite a while. When I demo'd the TS4, the only head they had was a 9.5*, but I was able to use my shaft and I was getting the same spin with the 9.5* TS4 as I did with my 8.5* TS3 (right around 1700~1800) both in the C1 setting (standard loft, just a bit flatter lie angle). Launch angle was higher than I wanted with the TS4 with the added loft, but that made it pretty clear that no doubt the TS4 is lower spin. The TS4 was also noticeably less forgiving.

    For me, since I was getting pretty ideal numbers with the TS3 already, there was no advantage with the TS4. I'd have to go down to the 8.5* head to get the right launch and then my spin numbers would be too low. And again, added bonus that the TS3 is 460cc and more forgiving. That said, playing the M5 now with the same shaft, loft set to 8.25* and it's just as long as my TS3 with better feel (to me), same forgiveness, and I hit it quite a bit straighter. I struggled with a bit of a hook with the TS3 where the M5 sits more open and I just hit it straighter.

    TS3/TS4 and M5 are excellent drivers. Just a matter of preference and what suits your swing type.

    I agree for the most part, but for some it’s also about eliminating one side of the course. I have a buddy who is a moderate swing speed guy and isn’t a high spin player and is playing g410 lst 9* and has taken the left side of the course out of play now

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3891WRX Points: 857Handicap: 9Posts: 3,891 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #28

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Nard_S said:

    On -, @cmb71 said:

    Yes, the face angle closes when lofting up on these... it opens when lowering loft.
    Edit: I don't find that it is unappealing though (if you are averse to a closed or open face...). It's mostly negligible. I prefer the C1 setting myself because of the flatter lie angle, but to my eye it looks almost equal to the Standard A1 setting. See the Titleist True Fit charts, but beware they change for RH or LH.

    Thanks, pretty much what I suspected. I'm considering the T4 in 10.5 so if I desire to go lower it will open up. I have a Mizuno in 9.5 and would not mind it with more loft but the closing of face is irksome to me and don't want to repeat that mistake. I'll check out True Fit.

    It's loft or face angle, not both no?

    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1081535/how-adjustable-drivers-actually-work-everyone-should-be-required-to-watch-this-to-be-allowed-to-pos#latest

    Dunno, but when I tweak loft, face angle or how she sits changes too. From what I've heard that's SOP on adjustable but not entirely all.

    The point of his post is if you have a 10.5 head and loft it down, you either have a 9.75 loft and square face or a 10.5 loft and an open face. You don't have a 9.75 loft and an open face.

    True but it changes how it soles, how it "looks" at that point. I don't like drivers that I'm re-tweaking in my grip, I like to grip them as they sole on the ground and that "look" is better when it's open faced.I like anti-left drivers. So when a an OEM offers 8.5, 9.5, 10.5 options I would think that taking a 10.5 version and tweeking down would give me a more open faced "look" than an 8.5* tweaked up.My limited experience with 2 adjustable drivers suggests that would be the case.

    Got it. Seems like you are more lofting it down on the hosel for face adjustment, not actually lower loft. I've always been able to play the Titleist drivers in standard or lower loft setting and try to square the face / not sole the club. But they do look different.

    I love the Driver I use now but on a do over would have got the 10.5* largely based on just how the thing sits. The T4 is similar in looks and specs, got great shaft choices so I may take a chance on one.

    Posted:
  • SwvehaunSwvehaun SCMembers  98WRX Points: 59Handicap: 6Posts: 98 Fairways
    Joined:  #29

    Switched when it first came out. Spin came down 400+ RPM and also just personal preference for the smaller head. First driver I've never been willing to part with

    Posted:
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers  629WRX Points: 773Posts: 629 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Sep 29, 2019 #30

    Switched from my TS3 to the TS4 about a month and a half ago and loving it. I'm old enough to remember when a driver was the size of a modern 5W, so I actually appreciate the (slightly) smaller size. It's undoubtedly longer than my TS3 - as I'm now keeping up with and often longer than my buddy I was previously well behind off the tee (who's also 10 years younger than me - BOOYAH - sup, #TeamOldGuy). Though I did go from a Tensei Blue S to HZRDUS XS for it.

    Regardless, I dig it. A lot.

    Posted:

    Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist TS2 Hybrid 19° 22°
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-6
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 7-PW
    Miura 52°, 56° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members  1298WRX Points: 209Handicap: It is ClimbingPosts: 1,298 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #31

    Remains great for me and my swing. Great points made above!

    Posted:
2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.