Ever got hit by one?

mrshinsa

Hole 6, we were in position B. The group was around a blind corner somewhere near A.

I waited forever for the group to come up so that I can have a word. After casually finishing out their hole, the Dad and son finally came up to apologize. His attitude was simply we didn't see you guys, we apologized so it's all good.

My son was merely inches away from being seriously injured or worst.

8CTWXBF6THIM.png

I was dodging balls all weekend because dumb course design. The type of course where there is no room and they put elevated small greens with pot bunkers in front and the other holes fairway directly behind. So everyone goes long and misses behind the green with balls flying at everyone on the other hole. I was greatfull tournament officials were watching and warning people on the problem holes.

i am also scared of chipping and driving ranges during shotgun rounds and lots of kids entered. Thank god nothing like leezer mentioned ever happened to mine or anyone else’s kid but have seen a lot close calls on overcrowded driving ranges. In a lot cases it better to just hit a few balls and move on if a range is extra full.

something I learned a long time ago on blind holes I almost always stand back so the group behind us and this isn’t just in tournaments. Learned real fast on public courses people will just hit a ball if the don’t see you. If they can see the group in front there is no excuse to hit. Even if they didn’t see you there is no excuse especially with parents watching one them should have walked ahead to make sure coast wasn’t clear.

2 years ago at a USKids event we were on hole 3. We had been stuck behind two groups since the beginning. My son's partner was lining up his approach shot and a ball went literally between him and his ball. The other dad and myself looked back with hands raised at the group behind us. Fast forward 5 minutes we are putting and a ball flies right by my son's head. At that point the other dad and I went back to the group and also called the Tournament Director. Things got very heated and the TD showed up and was very upset at the situation. I very rarely get angry at other parents but that was an instance where they knew exactly what they were doing. We had no control over the group in front of us and we were playing as fast as we possibly could. I never saw one of the dads at a tournament again.

I myself have been hit once but the guy ran up and apologized and I think he genuinely did not know I was there, plus it was a really bad pull and I was just in a weird spot myself after a not great shot. Bad combination, no ill will.

I have only been personally hit once and I'm not sure if it was my fault for being an idiot or not. My normal weekend group consists of a couple good golfers but both are absolutely garbage out of bunkers. I was at a 90 degree angle from said buddy between him and the hole standing on the green while he was in the greenside bunker. Somehow he blade shanked one right into my side spare tire area from about 10 yards. I guess luck was on his side that day because he ended up on the green instead of 100 yards back down another fairway which ended up with him getting a bogey instead of a double or worse.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

In all my years playing I only had someone hit into one day, after they did it the second time I grabbed an iron and hit it back at them. They didn't do it again. Doing USKG events we had a few times where kids ball would roll by us but I chalk that up to they caught one in the screws.

Not ball related but when my kid first started playing about 4-8 weeks in she was getting ready for the second round of DCP and She was taking practice swings as I was teeing up her ball and next think i know her driver meets my ankle and a ton to blood. Just everywhere. A few days later it was purple and to to think she only swung it in the 50s back then. Since then lets say i pay good attention to everything around me at a golf course.

Yep... Was watching my daughter in a USGA Women's Am qualifier just last year. 160 some yard par 3. I am standing at least 50 yards away from the green on the other side of the cart path. This girl, who was playing horribly, hits me in the back of the calf.

Was watching a tournament on a Saturday years ago. Had a spectator cart because it looked like rain and wanted to be able to help kids off and onto the course. Was on the cart path talking to a girls mom who was in her cart. All the sudden a thud on the top of my cart. Scared both of us. We looked and looked for that dang ball. Ended up taking kids in because of weather a couple of holes later. Put the back cover down and the ball was stuck inside of the cover and came out when I pulled it down.

When my daughter was learning to play at 12, she literally hit a ball straight up in the air and behind her in a fairway striking her brother in the noggin.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

When my daughter was learning to play at 12, she literally hit a ball straight up in the air and behind her in a fairway striking her brother in the noggin.

Many of the responses in this thread have sounded serious, but, for some reason, this one made me laugh pretty hard.

Mainly because the visual image of this incident, and the recurring ribbing that has the potential to last for years between siblings.

This right here. Kids do not know their distances typically and can catch one more often than your average Joe and Daddy Caddies get crazy and leads to issues. I always tell my son before a round is someone is in front of you range them and if its the distance for your driver +20 yards I don't care what club you are hitting you wait. No need in risking hitting anyone ever.

Yes, once in back from a wedge shot hit offline, it didn't hurt. The second time on the shin from a college kids rope hook. Hurt pretty bad left a knot on my shin.

Two different friends have been hit in the head and knocked unconscious. One hit in the jaw the other in the forhead, both are lucky that it didn't do worse damage.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Only 20? Half kidding. At our club if you come within 50 yards of the ladies they are complaining. We wait until they are even further than that, most of the time. If they refuse to let us play through then we won't wait and will come inside that 50 yards just to push them. Will fire at the greens as they are just getting to the fringe. What they don't understand is that a tournament players are pretty precise with their number and are shooting them to find out how far away they are.

Sounds like the time I thought I was going to be in a physical altercation with a moron. I was playing behind a foursome, just me walking. They would not let me play through but I didn't mind, I was out there for a relaxing round and was fine taking my time. They were on the green on a par 5, I was laying up and I hit a 5 iron to about 40 yards in front of the green. One of the guys ran at me screaming. I am assuming he thought I had fatted it and was hitting into them. After about a minute of inebriated yelling I got him calmed down and they asked if I wanted to play through. Some people crack me up.

Can't stand the 4some with no respect for others on the course. I will drive my kid around in the late afternoons on Saturdays and Sundays. Most are great. The couple 4somes on Sundays are the absolute worst. Generally, they will never look back, won't smile, won't even acknowledge he is there. It is lovely taking what would normally be a 2 hour round and making it 4.

Been hit in the leg by a shanked wedge shot but never a full shot. However, one day I was standing next to MD buddy at my car after golf when a ball was hooked off the tee box hit a tree trunk and ricocheted to hit him in the peck. He dropped like a rock. His peck was seriously black and blue but he's tough and was good to go. I told him sure glad it didn't hit his head or my car. His head would have broke the ball. We laughed.

Being on the golf course is like walking down a city sidewalk or frequenting this discussion board, numb nuts and accidents are everywhere.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Thought I had killed a friend of mine with a screaming 3 wood to the head. She was parked in her cart 70 yards down the fairway from me. I asked her to move, so she moved the cart back off the fairway about 10 yards. Of course I pulled my shot directly at her, hitting her in the head. It took a number of staples to close that wound and years off both of our lives!