True Spec #1 Golf Club Custom Fitters By. KIM JONG-UN

TheBoomer  ·  
TheBoomer TheBoomer Members  3424WRX Points: 167Posts: 3,424 Titanium Tees

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa WHOAAAA !!!!!

Little rant from a Golfer and better yet a CLUB HO’

I love golf equipment and better yet, I love getting fit for a club that I don’t need. So if we cant trust publications from who we think are golf leaders in this vertical, who can we trust ?

I received this while I was on a mini golf vacation in Florida trying to escape the Midwest weather. After reading the letter below I was shocked, but was I really shocked ?

I’m bringing this to this platform because I know that this site and this group of knowledgeable members would understand that this is why golf is slowly dying. WHY LIE , WHY LEVERAGE THE PLATFORM you have by voting one of your company owned brands to be #1 and not let anyone know that in fact your THE OWNER of the so called “Best fitter” COMPLETE BS.

I’m at the airport and will read the comments and this total BS. GOLF.COM has some serious credibility issues VOTING THEIR OWN COMPANY #1

TRULY TRULY PATHETIC. SHAME ON THEM.

Link above for more action !!!!!

Posted:
Post edited by TheBoomer on
Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

Comments

• ram01002ram01002 Members  1945WRX Points: 153Posts: 1,945 Platinum Tees

Golf.com & Golf Mag has made some ugly moves lately. Awarded a Jack Nicklaus course some sort of design award without disclosing that they are owned by the same parent company. And now just did the same thing with a clubfitter award. I also heard they had plagiarized an architecture article from another website. Would love to know who’s running the ship over there.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera Members  5668WRX Points: 380Handicap: -.6Posts: 5,668 Titanium Tees

WOW!

Can't say I'm surprised, but again, wow.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 3D 10.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* & 18* Accra TourZ 382
    Exotics CBX 22* Accra TZ5-95H
    PING S55 5-9 Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
    Callaway MD5 JAWS 46S, 50S, 54W, 58C  Mitsubishi MMT-125 TX (9-iron)
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1213WRX Points: 292Handicap: 7.1Posts: 1,213 Platinum Tees

While I agree that it has a bit of a stink, let me play devil's advocate. Where should they have ranked True Spec? What ranking could they have given them that wouldn't have upset people? If True Spec does good work then why wouldn't they deserve a spot on the list? (I don't know if they do, I'm playing devil's advocate)

Also, if you're one of the head honchos at Golf Magazine, do you see yourself doing it differently? Would your board members/stock holders be pleased with you if you chose not to rank True Spec at all?

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • TheBoomer TheBoomer Members  3424WRX Points: 167Posts: 3,424 Titanium Tees

Transparency!!

That’s what should have done and that’s what shareholders would have wanted in the first place.

Posted:
    Something Rare
    Something JDM
    WITB Link
  • jwc9pjwc9p Members  149WRX Points: 63Posts: 149 Fairways

Ranking them #1 is not necessarily the problem particularly if it is justified and given how big they are and the work they do, it might be. The problem is there is no disclosure that they are owned by the same parent company. If GOLF had just prefaced it with some type of acknowledgement, it would have probably been ok.

Posted:
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1213WRX Points: 292Handicap: 7.1Posts: 1,213 Platinum Tees

Agreed, they should disclose that information. But I suspect even if they did disclose it and ranked them #1, people would still be upset.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

Advertisement
  • mtg6193mtg6193 Damn you people, go back to your shantys Stuart, FLMembers  505WRX Points: 126Handicap: YesPosts: 505 Golden Tee

Somebody skipped over their ethics and compliance training lol

Posted:
    Witb: pb&j and extra socks
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  2815WRX Points: 1,105Posts: 2,815 Titanium Tees

Ranking them #1 but plainly stating they are both owned by the same company is perfectly fine, and lets readers draw their own conclusions; but at least absolves GOLF of being shady. They didnt' and given their past history not just with this clubfitter article, shows just how nonchalant they are about promo'ing their sister companies within their structure at any cost. Essentially, losing all credibility.

Posted:

President of ShaftHos Anonymous

• larryd3larryd3 Members  647WRX Points: 125Handicap: 10Posts: 647 Golden Tee

No question they should have disclosed their ownership. Their credibility, assuming they had any to begin with, is gone now. They really pooched it. I'll continue to stay with GolfWRX and similar sites for information.

Posted:
    TM M4
    Epic 15*
    816 H1 19*
    816 H1 24*
    Titleist T200 5-GW
    54* SM8
    58* SM8
    PXG Operator H
  • sailfishchrissailfishchris Long Island NYMembers, ClubWRX  1060WRX Points: 245Handicap: 4Posts: 1,060 Platinum Tees

They're just growing the game ...... for themselves!

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Synergy Proto 65TX
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Super Peening Blue X
    Vokey SM6 raw 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
    Ping Redwood/Byron Morgan Proto DH89
    ProV1X / TPX5
    Jones Utility Trouper
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members  3880WRX Points: 597Posts: 3,880 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot

Advertisement
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  10635WRX Points: 1,656Posts: 10,635 Titanium Tees

Aim asking WHY? how can they be so stupid? risking their own reputation like this? was that really needed to sell that magazine? i dont think so, and if i was a shareholder of that company i would be p... off big time, its simply not how it should be done. It cost lots of time and money to build a good reputation, but it dont take much of a fool to ruin it all.

Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

• thevaporzthevaporz Members  3317WRX Points: 438Handicap: 13Posts: 3,317 Titanium Tees

Nobody reads magazines/newspapers anymore. I think I get Golf Digest and Golf Mag for free from buying from Globalgolf.com and I chuck 'em in the trash every month. I get all my info right here on GolfWRX.com. I only buy used equipment from ebay, used sites, and BST here.

What is your reference to Kim Jong-Ung for? This thread will be closed soon.

Posted:
  • CTSpinDoctorCTSpinDoctor Members  572WRX Points: 51Handicap: BadPosts: 572 Golden Tee

Support your local fitting!

Posted:
    Titleist Ts4 9.5* Accra TZ6 65 m5
    Ping G400 17.5* Evenflow black 6.5 80g
    Miura MB001 4-P Modus 130 X
    Titleist Sm7 52f 56m 60m S400
    Scotty Cameron Oil Can Classic Santa Fe 1998
    ProV1x
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members  3523WRX Points: 1,049Posts: 3,523 Titanium Tees

I always took these rankings with a huge grain of salt anyways (back when I actually read golf magazines -- like 10 years ago).

As if Butch Harmon is actually the best teacher in America every year. As if they actually have a reliable way of making that determination.

The rankings are obviously more of a marketing/political game than a scientific ranking.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 14mh14mh Members  323WRX Points: 105Posts: 323 Greens

It looks like they addressed it on the web site. Did that happen due to people questioning it....I am not sure.

The top 5 fitters on this list performed exceptionally well across the board in GOLF’s evaluations, checking nearly all criteria boxes deemed important by the panel. That said, all of the fitters who made the top 50 come with our recommendation.

Why did True Spec, which is owned by GOLF’s parent company, 8AM Golf, earn the No. 1 fitter status? With 30 locations worldwide, True Spec has worked with LPGA and PGA Tour players, major winners and standouts in every major sport. It has indoor and outdoor fitting capabilities to help fitters evaluate the entire scope of a golfer’s game, including ballflight and turf interaction. True Spec also has a vast staff of trained clubfitters, and not only does it use Club Conex, it owns it, helping to control custom builds in-house without outsourcing (as does approximately 70 percent of the fitters on the list who rely on the technology). True Spec is brand agnostic and offers options from nearly every club and shaft manufacturer. Additionally, True Spec is involved in thorough club research, including both player testing and robot testing; it’s one of only two companies on the list that conducts robot testing for further analysis and equipment comparisons — and one of the main reasons why GOLF partnered with True Spec to produce this year’s ClubTest.

Posted:
  • BYKBYK Cardinals NationMembers  2109WRX Points: 303Posts: 2,109 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    Yadi for President
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Members  6601WRX Points: 270Posts: 6,601 Titanium Tees

The only dumb thing they did was attempt to rank them. Like if they had just left the top 5 or whatever as the “top tier,” nobody would have had an issue with True Spec’s inclusion. By placing them at the top, they brought it on themselves. Pure greed...

Posted:
    Taylormade SIM 10.5* w/ Graphite Design VR-5 (X)
    Taylormade M6 Tour 15* w/ Accra Tour Z RT Proto 75 (M4)
    Ping G410 19* & 22* w/ KBS Proto 85 (S)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.