How to hit a low cut driver? (High windy days)

Hey guys I could use some help with thoughts, feels, setups to hit a low cut with a driver when it's windy. I'm a 2 handicap high speed player and my normal ball flight is a high draw. I can hit a fade somewhat reliably but it goes even higher than my normal flight. I really struggle in the wind because a draw just doesn't stop going left and my attempts at a fade just spin up and lose a lot of distance. I was watching the final round of The Open Championship that Shane Lowry won at Portrush and he was hitting these amazing low cuts off every tee in the windy conditions. How?!

hands ahead, no tilt at setup/impact. basically how you hit a knockdown, but with a driver.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TCΒ w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021Β Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Your swing pattern likely doesn’t line up to hit low fade with driver.

Hypothetically, your shaft is a hair vertical in transition and you drop the right shoulder to get it coming from the inside to hit up and hit that high draw.

You try and hit a Low fade with that swing pattern, you’re going to miss the golf course.

Even a golfer at your level shouldn’t be trying to go that opposite of your normal flight.

You can count the number of tour players who work it both ways regularly on one hand. They look at it the same way you should, why would I try and use a B swing to not get that much in return.

Diminishing returns principle at work here.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired.Β 
Β 

Β 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Β 

Do you hit up a lot? Do you know your AoA?

With driver in the wind, the best thing to do is hit it solid. If you’re having that much trouble with the ball curving that much in the wind, you might need to tee it down and practice leveling out your turn for your swing long term in general.

Β 

Β 

Β 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Β 

We have three holes on our course that you really need to cut it off the tee, and the prevailing wind always seem to be into and right to left, so if you cut it too much it is gonzo. I move the ball up about two inches in my stance, drop my left foot back two inches, and use my normal swing but stay more left. That is what works for me, YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9 Β 52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

4-5 up AoA and 3-4 in to out path. I constantly feel like I'm holding off the face to avoid a big overdraw. I'd love to be able to feel like I'm releasing the club effortlessly without the fear of left. Scoring for me is 100% about the driver because on days I keep it in play I shoot around par +/- and on days I don't I'm at 80. Very much struggle in the wind off the tee.

Β 

Β 

Just hit a lower draw or a straight ball into the wind? I would stick with your preferred shape. I hit a fade 100% of the time with driver, the thought of trying to force a draw brings all sorts of chaos into play.

As Monte alluded to, more than anything hitting the ball in the middle or top part of the face to knock the spin off will make a big difference. One that works for me is either tee the ball normal height and try to make sure you touch grass to make sure you hit the top half of the face. Anything off the bottom will spin out of control

You might come across a few holes where trees mean you can't move it right to left...just hit a 3 wood or iron and move on rather than trying to learn two completely different swings.

Β 

Β 

That means your swing direction is getting close to double digits right.....that’s a block or hook waiting to happen.

Β 

This is why I’m so against the Up 5 movement.

Its way too difficult to match face,path, sweet spot and target at up 5 for every golfer, but even more at high speed.

Theres a reason the tour average is down 1, trending toward zero.

When my AoA gets above 3, ask me to play for money as I’m 3-5 handicap and ball speeds go under 180.

When it’s under 3, and preferably closer to 1 or zero, I’m a plus 5 and 180-185 ball speed.

So make this a long term project and make some tweaks to get the AOA down under 3 and your wind issues are likely gone.

Β 

Β 

Β 

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Β 

That being the case then perhaps look at making a swing change so that your intention matches what you see? Either way I think the best advice especially with the driver is to only move it one way at all times. Tiger used to do the 9 ball drill hitting all the different flights with his irons, still hits a fade 80%+ times with a driver. Same with Bubba and all his shot shaping has said that he never ever tries to draw a driver no matter what the hole...lucky for him Augusta sets up so well for a lefty hitting a fade!

I do, both in practice and on course.

Often, the β€œfairway finder” swings on tour are with a frighteningly low tee

Β 

Β 

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Β 

OP - I much like you had issues with hitting too far up and in to out. I was around 4 in to out and 5 up. Block city or hook with very little in between. I one day set up for a cut and realized my shoulder alignment was to about 2pm on a clock looking down target line - this was causing my in to out path. The fix for me was to check my shoulder alignment on every shot, I had to feel "like my left shoulder was pointing to 11pm on a clock". This shifted my path to about neutral to -1 and allows me to hit a straight ball that may fade from time to time. My worst strikes are when I close the face too early and hit it into the left rough, but was hit solid.

Long story short - tee it lower, move the ball up in your stance marginally, check your shoulder alignment and see what you have. You may be pleased with what you see just from a setup change.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

This all day long! I suffer from being dumped under and have worked on path and AoA for the past couple years to sort it out. Given that, I still find my tee height creeping up higher and higher over time. The last thing a dumped under player needs is a higher tee with the driver. Learn to play from a lower tee height and the problem will start to correct itself. Monte, do you find most people need to change their driver attributes, (loft, shaft flex, etc.), when making this change?

Not necessarily, but often, their club has been fit for that up move and they don’t have enough loft, the shaft/head combo creates too little spin, etc.

Β 

Β 

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Β 

Do you not know how to hit a low one as a 2 cap? You have to lol... try moving around till you find that sweet spot that hits a stinger... try moving ball back a half inch or something and change your attack.... its not hard.

Β 

Also practice hitting a low straight one or draw cause you dont always wanna hit a cut into the wind.... I personally love hitting high and low ones and it comes in very handy lol and is not tricky if you're a decent player.

Β 

Dont let the stick with what you got crowd take the fun out of experimenting and improving just dont forget your orginal swing cause it can be lost.... just keep going back to your original swing and maybe even write down what it is technically, mentally and feel wise so you can always get it back if lost for a minute...

Can't figure how to like my own posts

As Monte said. You run the risk of causing a lot more problems than you're going to solve. It's a different swing all together. However, maybe you're looking at the wrong club? What is you iron swing like? Surely it has a negative AoA and may give you an option that would work. I personally would play a punch FW or long iron as opposed to messing with your driver swing.

BT

Β 

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

learn to hit a consistent cut... a path and face thing

learn to hit a knockdown... a setup thing (excluding flipper issues)

combine the two things.

For what it's worth, there's plenty of guys playing for a living that don't hit the low cut driver on a windy day, especially if their warmup tells them it's a bad idea. There's not many holes where simply fligting the ball a little lower, and ensuring you keep spin off the ball so it's better in the wind, doesn't meet your needs to put the ball in play. Hell, just swing normal and you're probably fine as well with the low spin golf balls they have today.

And the followup to that is, having that movement is rarely a necessity and just a nice way to help ensure a one way miss. You start doing things that fight your pattern, and you just brought the two way miss into play. double cross = double bogey... food for thought.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TCΒ w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021Β Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Set your feet and hips open, tee it lower, open the face a touch so it is in between the target and your starting line. Then try to bust into the trees on the left with your body while your arms are passive.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Here's my take since the power cut is my normal shot. Slightly open stance and open the driver face in the address position. I tee the ball very high and have the ball inside my left foot so probably a bit closer to the middle than you probably are. Take more of flat swing- think a line drive in baseball versus a home run swing. I aim down the left side and boom!

Driver 1: Ping G425 LST, Rogue 130 MSI

Driver 2: Wishon 519, 11 deg, Project X 8b4
3 Wood: Wishon Eq1
Irons: Wishon Sterling, 4-GW, PX 6.5 SS
Wedges: Ping glide 3.0 54 deg; Ping glide 3.0 eye 2 60 deg
Ping Ketsch Heavy