***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

WTF... Shipping cost for golf bag

mvhoffman ·  
mvhoffmanmvhoffman MikeyNEPAMembers  1779WRX Points: 236Handicap: 10Posts: 1,779 Platinum Tees

Shipping quotes from USPS, UPS, and Fed-Ex to ship a golf bag from San Francisco, CA to Scranton, PA........ $100+

Not a full bag with clubs, just an empty golf bag... WOW

When the **** did this jacked up pricing happen?

Posted:
Driver - Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft
Irons/Wedges - Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Stiff Shaft
                            Ping i25 4-LW w Ping CFS Stiff Shafts
Grips - Golf Pride MCC +4 Standard Blue
Putter - Bastain Milled Flow Neck Fusion Golf Prototype w Custom PX 6.0 shaft @ 33"
Putter Grip - Golf Pride SNSR Straight 104
Ball - Callaway Diablo Tour 3 Piece
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite Stand Bag
Glove - MG DynaGrip Elite 

Comments

• lchanglchang Members  820WRX Points: 216Handicap: 11Posts: 820 Golden Tee

No.... Even a fully-loaded (up to 42 pounds) bag can be shipped cross-country via shipsticks.com (ground) for $75.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  701WRX Points: 414Posts: 701 Golden Tee

Retail shipping rates are a pet peeve of mine. Thankfully, there's ways to beat this - here's a couple of options:

1) Use a luggage shipping service. These companies negotiate bulk rates for their customers. E.g. lugless.com - Just choose 1-way (assuming the clubs aren't coming back to you), an arrival date, and I think you'll find a price under $50 (there's many competitors to this service, with similar pricing, but this is one I've used a few times to ship both golf clubs and skis.) E.g. I just did a quick search for your destination and found this: https://app.lugless.com/pricing/-/-/-/San%2520Francisco/CA/-/US/-/-/-/Scranton/PA/-/US/2020-07-31/-/0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0

2) Use PayPal's shipping service - also typically much better than retail shipping pricing. https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/shipping-center

Posted:
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4813WRX Points: 1,889Posts: 4,813 Titanium Tees

Golf bag shipping prices have been out of control for a long time. They were "jacked" up a long time ago. By all carriers. Early 2000's I shipped a stand bag from Western PA to Southern California and it was over $60.00 - Lots of dimensional shipping surcharges get added to non bulk shippers especially via USPS. Try some of the other shipping suggestions in this thread. There have been a couple of threads in the Deal/No Deal sub forum recently on shipping charges. And FWIW it's not just shipping golf bags that prices are more expensive on. The larger the package the longer the distance shipped and the heavier it is the more expensive it is.

Posted:
  • mvhoffmanmvhoffman Mikey NEPAMembers  1779WRX Points: 236Handicap: 10Posts: 1,779 Platinum Tees

I looked at the lugless option... 42.99 which to me is a HUGE difference. I'm hoping the seller and I can get this worked out.

Posted:
    Putter - Bastain Milled Flow Neck Fusion Golf Prototype w Custom PX 6.0 shaft @ 33"

• caniac6caniac6 Members  3657WRX Points: 1,314Handicap: 4Posts: 3,657 Titanium Tees

How can you buy a bag from Sun Mountain with a $10 shipping charge?

Posted:
  • dmbrill719dmbrill719 North CarolinaMembers  373WRX Points: 88Posts: 373 Greens

Sun Mountain is absorbing part of the cost of shipping.

I used to work in sales for an OEM. We'd essentially subsidize the freight on golf bags, yet we'd still have customers upset over what it cost them. It was really only costing them a portion of the actual cost...

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max Rogue Silver 130 70
    Tour Edge Exotics CBX T3 16.5* ATX Green 85
    Callaway Apex 3h Project X HC1 95
    Titleist T-MB 4, 5 Recoil 110
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 6-PW Recoil 125
    Callaway MD Forged 50, 56 Recoil Wedge Proto
    Fourteen RM-22 60 DG TI Black Onyx
    Ping Vault Anser 2

Advertisement
  • ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Members  574WRX Points: 127Handicap: 8Posts: 574 Golden Tee

Price it up on the USPS website, to see if the correct dimensions were used.

When the H W L dimension gets over about 84" the price jumps, especially across country.

Big sellers also have volume deals with the shippers.

Posted:
  • SygnalSygnal Members  13WRX Points: 10Posts: 13 Bunkers

Consider using amtrack freight if you're going to and from cities with stations.

Posted:
  • FergusonFerguson Members  6026WRX Points: 3,523Handicap: 6.7Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees

Go Greyhound .............................................and leave the driving to them.

Posted:
  • mvhoffmanmvhoffman Mikey NEPAMembers  1779WRX Points: 236Handicap: 10Posts: 1,779 Platinum Tees

Long story short... after all of the shipping cost issues and different processes that would have had to happen, the sale fell thru. The seller did not want to have to do 15 different things to ship which I understand completely. It sucks because that was a beautiful reasonably priced Ping Hoofer bag

Posted:

• ChadwickogChadwickog Members  444WRX Points: 135Posts: 444 Greens

I recently shipped a bag from Scranton to South Carolina via UPS for $20, something wasn't right there.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members  1128WRX Points: 277Handicap: 3 to 4Posts: 1,128 Platinum Tees

If you trust USPS (I wouldn't) far cheaper than UPS or FedEx. UPS and FedEx take into account volume of box, which influences the shipping charge.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ Tensei AV Blue 65
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 2.0 Slate 58/64
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  701WRX Points: 414Posts: 701 Golden Tee

Too bad about the sale.

Honestly, price completely aside, I find Lugless far easier than either UPS or Fedex. Their site is just easier to use, and all you get at the end is a shipping label just like UPS or Fedex. Slap it on the box, and drop it off at your local Staples/OfficeMax or wherever they take UPS/Fedex packages.

In the end, it's just a shipping service that has decoration on their website that orients the services to make it look like it's for "luggage". But in the end, it's just a shipping service that resells UPS/Fedex at lower prices.

Posted:
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers  3836WRX Points: 797Handicap: 8.2Posts: 3,836 Titanium Tees

FedEx is the best for bags lately in my experience. $30 or so is what I've paid.

Posted:

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9564WRX Points: 3,179Posts: 9,564 Titanium Tees

Dimensional weight and if you used a bigger box than necessary likely also an over-size package surcharge. USPS switched their dimensional rate divisor in 2019 as well resulting in higher dimensional weight for the same sized package

Posted:
This discussion has been closed.