Dear blade,

IIvudooII

205 yard par 3 over water, here's a blade 4 iron and 10 balls, lets see whatcha got.

Can we!?! Can we!?! That's one of my favorite clubs! Is this going to be a 205 to the pin or a carry over water?

I am in on this as well. May be a Hard 5.

That's what I'm thinking. That four onto the green just isn't going to stop as well as that five, but the man said, "here's a blade four iron and ten balls, let's see whatcha got." So you take five and I take five? Or you want me to enjoy all ten? I'm bringing my MP-4 DgS300. "Whatcha got?" Or is it a surprise supplied blade. Fair warning: If you bring an iblade, I'm throwing it and you in the water and saving the balls for when you try to come out.

In the spirit of Tiger’s new blades, I’ll bring my VR Pro 5 shafted with DG X100.

I’ll only need 1 so you can carve up the other 9 with a display of the 9 shot shapes blades can produce: Draw (high, mid, low) straight ( high mid low) cut ( high mid low)

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was looking to change my clubs last time round I came across this quote.

"I've always wanted to go to a blade iron, to a smaller iron," said Jim Furyk earlier this year at the Travelers Championship. "The problem is when that blade is a lot smaller, the center of gravity gets kicked in toward the heel a little bit more and the club becomes much easier to draw. So shots that I was hitting...at times I'd look up and feel like I made a good shot, but it was always a touch left of where I thought it should be. I didn't want to change my swing or change my approach [so I went back] to my cavity-backs."

I always found my blades really hard to fade. This made sense to me, and making the switch to CB's has really helped.

The only set of cast clubs I have used was the Callaway X14 pro series, what a great set of clubs they were.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

[You don't shoot great golf rounds and win tournaments by sniping pins with deadly accurate clubs. That's a myth.

I know what you were trying to say there around not making doubles, but to clarify deadly accurate clubs is exactly why the best are the best.

Mark Broadie was on NLU talking about Tiger's game in his prime and what was his strongest strokes gained area. Most people would say his putting first, then driving, but in actuality it was his approach game. He would be gaining nearly 8 strokes on the field just with approaches over the course of a tournament. That's off the charts good.

Of course. But the part missing is "sniping at pins".

1. Tiger didn't fire at every pin. He hit at reasonable targets. Most players don't do that.

2. He's Tiger. If blade irons get you closer than GI irons, play blades. That's what matters. I will never argue with someone who hits blades better. I just think the vast majority who play them like the feel of the great shots more than they are actually worth to the scorecard. Which is fine, we all play the game for different reasons.

The point I was trying to make was that "feel" only matters if you (1) don't care about score or (2) produces the best proximity, on average. On its own, great feeling irons when you hit them well and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.

"I hit these irons so much better than GI irons. They just keep putting the green in the wrong place."

Hitting it "good" and being able to reliably hit it onto the surface from which you can putt are not the same thing.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

From my experience call it 7i to W there is minimal difference between blades or forgiving clubs.

However, once you get to the 165-225 range, which every strokes gained guru has said is the key spot to lowering scores, you'll find out real quick how good you are.

205 yard par 3 over water, here's a blade 4 iron and 10 balls, lets see whatcha got.

I would need a 3 haha

Forever Changing at this point.......

Even at the expense of losing a little distance, the confidence I feel when I strike these clubs is beyond words. It is like finally sleeping with the right woman. Your body has a way of synchronizing itself with what your head is already telling you. I mean, is there going back?

Yes, there is going back.

There is no question or doubt blades feel better on good strikes. The problem is whether you care about score or feel. Its not bad to care about feel more, but your golf score is determined by how good your worst strikes end up not your best ones. Equipment (assuming your goal is the lowest score possible) should mitigate bad strikes not optimize good ones.

People who play blade irons without the chops tend to blame themselves for the bad shots and give the blades credit for the good ones.

Just want to point out that you've misquoted me here. Don't know why.

Would you mind pointing out the mis-quote ? Afraid I can't see it.

As for the troll topic of the year month week day,,,,,,,,,, play whatever you want for whatever reasons you want,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wonder what the over/under is, especially once DeNinny ("CBs are more forgiving, blades are more maneuverable") gets going, on the thread being locked ???

Holy Moly Batman - 33 users reading right now !!! :ninja: :lol:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

In my experience and in theory, forgiveness is a carney sham(e). A blade and MB design is superior to a "forgiving" design in all ways for all golfers of all skill levels. Just about every supposed "forgiving feature" in a "forgiving" head design is based on a completely false assumption. And the more "game improvement" the club, the worse it gets. It's a carney sham(e). Bank on it.

Realizing this will derail the thread, I have to ask...

"In theory, forgiveness is a carney sham."

What's your definition of "forgiveness?"

And what is this "false assumption" of which you speak?

If I'm going to "bank on it," I gotta know!

No problem. Just give me some time. LOL and get ready for a long post.

All good. Take your time. All views are welcome, no matter how long they are...

You're taking the bait. Hook, line, and sinker. You may as well take your sand wedge and bang your head with it now to save time.

Oh, hell yeah I am. I'm feeling rowdy on a Thursday and want to raise a little hell in here.

You're taking the bait. Hook, line, and sinker. You may as well take your sand wedge and bang your head with it now to save time.

Oh, hell yeah I am. I'm feeling rowdy on a Thursday and want to raise a little hell in here.

So long as you know what you're in for,,,,,,,,,,, :taunt:

But given the OP, you won't really be derailing the thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the OP knows what he's doing,,,,,,,,,, :stink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

In my experience and in theory, forgiveness is a carney sham(e). A blade and MB design is superior to a "forgiving" design in all ways for all golfers of all skill levels. Just about every supposed "forgiving feature" in a "forgiving" head design is based on a completely false assumption. And the more "game improvement" the club, the worse it gets. It's a carney sham(e). Bank on it.

hope we get the lecture about bounce being a sham and low bounce is the only true path with absolutely no exceptions. in any case. ever.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Can we!?! Can we!?! That's one of my favorite clubs! Is this going to be a 205 to the pin or a carry over water?

That's what I'm thinking. That four onto the green just isn't going to stop as well as that five, but the man said, "here's a blade four iron and ten balls, let's see whatcha got." So you take five and I take five? Or you want me to enjoy all ten? I'm bringing my MP-4 DgS300. "Whatcha got?" Or is it a surprise supplied blade. Fair warning: If you bring an iblade, I'm throwing it and you in the water and saving the balls for when you try to come out.

In the spirit of Tiger’s new blades, I’ll bring my VR Pro 5 shafted with DG X100.

I’ll only need 1 so you can carve up the other 9 with a display of the 9 shot shapes blades can produce: Draw (high, mid, low) straight ( high mid low) cut ( high mid low)

Oooh big boy! X100's! I'm toying with that shaft in one of my 1 irons. It's doable for me and I seem to get similar flight as my S300 1 iron.

Haha, you're looking at the wrong guy for called shot shape, but there's a good chance you'll see a few. I'm a student of the arts and I'm studying hard.

For the OPs question on why we chose what we play; for me, I'm playing the Hogan PTx because the stars aligned and I won them here on this site. Otherwise, I'd still be playing the Ft Worth 15 irons. What I've discovered though, is that I get away with quite a bit more on toe strikes now than I used too. As for looks, I know everyone likes the look of zero offset and a razor topline, but over time, I've begun to like the look of just a normal hair of offset (PTx, Apex Pro, AP2) and a medium topline (PTx, i200, 900F).

The feel on the PTx isn't even close to the Ft Worth 15, but they're better for my game. They offer more forgiveness on the toe, feel good enough, and suit my eye better. (Being free doesn't hurt either!)

Either way, I love blades and the feel of blades, but a player's cavity just looks better to me. I definitely agree with what was said about feeling more confident with a certain style of club and it having a positive effect on your game.

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

Even at the expense of losing a little distance, the confidence I feel when I strike these clubs is beyond words. It is like finally sleeping with the right woman. Your body has a way of synchronizing itself with what your head is already telling you. I mean, is there going back?

Yes, there is going back.

There is no question or doubt blades feel better on good strikes. The problem is whether you care about score or feel. Its not bad to care about feel more, but your golf score is determined by how good your worst strikes end up not your best ones. Equipment (assuming your goal is the lowest score possible) should mitigate bad strikes not optimize good ones.

People who play blade irons without the chops tend to blame themselves for the bad shots and give the blades credit for the good ones.

Just want to point out that you've misquoted me here. Don't know why.

Would you mind pointing out the mis-quote ? Afraid I can't see it.

As for the troll topic of the year month week day,,,,,,,,,, play whatever you want for whatever reasons you want,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wonder what the over/under is, especially once DeNinny ("CBs are more forgiving, blades are more maneuverable") gets going, on the thread being locked ???

Holy Moly Batman - 33 users reading right now !!! :ninja: :lol:

Haha go back and read my post and you'll see that I didn't say a single thing that he has posted under my name. All of that was said by the OP.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

"I've always wanted to go to a blade iron, to a smaller iron," said Jim Furyk earlier this year at the Travelers Championship. "The problem is when that blade is a lot smaller, the center of gravity gets kicked in toward the heel a little bit more and the club becomes much easier to draw. So shots that I was hitting...at times I'd look up and feel like I made a good shot, but it was always a touch left of where I thought it should be. I didn't want to change my swing or change my approach [so I went back] to my cavity-backs."

I always found my blades really hard to fade. This made sense to me, and making the switch to CB's has really helped.

The only set of cast clubs I have used was the Callaway X14 pro series, what a great set of clubs they were.

Makes sense.

My stock shot is draw. I struggle to fade in general and usually it's just a few yards anyways. I'd overdraw the blades as I got used to them and would straighten them out after a range session or two. It's also probably why I can hit a snap hook on demand so easily. It was a shot I learned fast after hitting an errant drive and now you have to bend it around some trees to get back into play.

I agree with most of the posts here. Blades are an addiction of sorts. It's just such an amazingly rewarding feeling when you smoke a blade.

I'm probably going to be getting the MP 18 MMC's therefore leaving my faithful blades at home in the garage...

It seems like the consensus is "don't play blades - they make the game difficult." When I switch to new, more forgiving clubs I have a feeling it won't affect my handicap much.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I agree with most of the posts here. Blades are an addiction of sorts. It's just such an amazingly rewarding feeling when you smoke a blade.

I'm probably going to be getting the MP 18 MMC's therefore leaving my faithful blades at home in the garage...

It seems like the consensus is "don't play blades - they make the game difficult." When I switch to new, more forgiving clubs I have a feeling it won't affect my handicap much.

It feels the same when I smoke my cavity backs.

It feels like nothing because there is no vibration.

[media=]

[/media]

How freaking dare you disagree with me. We can never be friends now.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

From my experience call it 7i to W there is minimal difference between blades or forgiving clubs.

However, once you get to the 165-225 range, which every strokes gained guru has said is the key spot to lowering scores, you'll find out real quick how good you are.

C’mon man that’s a 6 Iron ;)

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Its not that they make the game difficult, its that the attractiveness of a blade to many (that wonderful feeling of a perfect strike) doesn't matter to your scorecard.

How it effects your handicap is entirely dependent on how much iron play determines your score. If you are a lights out putter, driver and wedge player and suddenly get half as good with irons, it'll matter a whole lot. If you are a bad putter, a poor driver, a good wedge player and an average iron player a decrease in your iron ability won't matter much (because your putting and driving are "driving" your score).

Most people on this site could putt with a bellied sand wedge and their handicap wouldn't move much, because whats holding them back isn't the putter. But that doesn't mean a bellied sand wedge is just as good as a putter for putting. You can't analyze one piece of your equipment in terms of its effect on your total score. You have to isolate its effect on your iron play, specifically.

And the truth is that you may love the feel of those blades, but you are almost certainly worse in terms of proximity with them.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

[media=]

[/media]

We have a winner.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

[media=]

[/media]

Not sure if we disagree, but regardless... it's all good!

EDITED for correct Drew Carey show reference.

[media=]

[/media]

Not sure if we disagree, but regardless... it's all good!

[media=]

[/media]

We don't disagree I just wanted to start a fake-internet-fight with you.

jqyrj.jpg

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

People have different reasons for playing their club du jour. My love affair with blades started about six months after taking up the game over twenty-five years ago. I played Mizuno, Titleist, and MacGregor blades up to 2007 before moving to player CB "Original Callaway X-Forged" and current "Titleist 716CB's."

Still, have my custom 2i-LW MacGregor 1025MB in the garage waiting for those days when my ball striking gets a bit stinky which happens once or twice a year. Those days I dust off the 1025MB's and head to the course for my well-deserved reminder lesson, which sometimes lasts for a 2-3 rounds. IMO the dime spot seems to be the same on all clubs; whether that's CAD true or not, doesn't matter.

Regardless of design, CB's lead to lazy ball striking. When I look down at the blade, I know why I fell in love and stepped up to hitting 1000-1300 balls per week at the range. I wanted the confidence and control. Though my ball striking comes back fast, I still love how blades correctly teach finding the dime sweet spot. I suppose I will always feel that way. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Lazy ball striking and hot spots? I think we done here. I love it when the plan comes together!

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Oh my lol. You win sir.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I've played 1994 Big Berthas, Mizuno mp29s, and everything in between. I've never seen my scores change much from SGI to blades. This was true when I played a lot and rarely shot above 80. It's still true now that I don't play much and rarely break 80. When I change irons its usually just because I want to look at something different. And let me tell you, the 94 Berthas don't look anything like mp29s. Life is short, play what you want.

So clearly Jim's swing is too inside out producing a touch more draw than it should, and the cavity back is actually helping to create an altered result.

Instead of correcting his swing, he uses a club that masks his swing flaw and makes him believe he actually hit a good shot.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

So clearly Jim's swing is too inside out producing a touch more draw than it should, and the cavity back is actually helping to create an altered result.

Instead of correcting his swing, he uses a club that masks his swing flaw and makes him believe he actually hit a good shot.

Not sure if serious..... he probably believes that 58 a few years back was a good score w/ his GI colored glasses!

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX