Crazy rumor of the day: Justin Rose to Honma?

Comments

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,826 ClubWRX
    I heard that Drudersh to whatever catches his eye on the BST that week. Heard it from a friend who is 32% reliable.
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Full bag switch?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,966 ClubWRX
    DavePelz4 wrote:

I heard that Drudersh to whatever catches his eye on the BST that week. Heard it from a friend who is 32% reliable.

I’m 67% sure this is true.

I also heard TheBoomer is being woo’d by an exotic Japanese clubmaker who’s clubs both look amazing and are out of our price range.
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • jcorna01jcorna01 Members Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that their staff player bios list their blood type.
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    After playing one brand for so long, if he makes a change at this stage of his career I hope it doesn't work out like Sergio where I have to see his face on MISSING posters to remember what he looks like.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • hardcaliberhardcaliber Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like if this is true it would be irons only. Can’t imagine him playing Honma woods. I can’t imagine it would have that much impact on his game if he just switched his irons and bag. I think most would argue that honma irons would be a step up from taylormade. Talking about the serious players irons, not the bejeweled nonsense. He could stick with Taylormade woods.
  • Jacked_LoftJacked_Loft Steps Ahead Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    I'd believe a change on his irons, as it would make everyone happy.

TM could save some cash on JR, and Honma could get a foot in the mainstream door both in Europe and the US.
    WIMB:

`16 M1 9.5 Fuji Evo TS 661
    `17 M1 3&5 Kuro Kage 70
    P790 3I Nippon 950
    P770 4-GW Nippon 950
    MG 56° LB KBS REV
    Spider Tour BLK
    H2NO Carry
  • sos7sos7 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Risky. He’s so good with TM equipment
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sos7 wrote:
    Risky. He’s so good with TM equipment

I was under the impression, from second hand sources, that he was this generations Retief Goosen for TM in terms of not only being a brand ambassador but the chief source of quality feedback on their club offerings so they would be losing a lot more than just a staffer.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like if this is true it would be irons only. Can't imagine him playing Honma woods. I can't imagine it would have that much impact on his game if he just switched his irons and bag. I think most would argue that honma irons would be a step up from taylormade. Talking about the serious players irons, not the bejeweled nonsense. He could stick with Taylormade woods.

Well I'm far from a TM honk - I have only 1 in the bag - That comment feels like a cheap shot to me. In terms of name prestige I would agree with you but as far as serious players irons I don't agree that Honma is necessarily better. TM is and probably always will be thought of as a woods company but IMO their better players iron offerings have been and continue to be strong. And isn't Rose playing the P730's (or Rose Proto's)?. Nothing very bejeweled about those. I would say TM has come as far as any company in recent memory to improving their "full bag" solution. I see more TM staffers bagging their putters and wedges than ever before. Anyway all that said I think you are right that he would probably stick with TM woods.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution  V2 High Launch - S
    W/S C300 15* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    W/S PMP 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Pro Platinum
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 22, 2018 #42
    the bishop wrote:

Seems like if this is true it would be irons only. Can't imagine him playing Honma woods. I can't imagine it would have that much impact on his game if he just switched his irons and bag. I think most would argue that honma irons would be a step up from taylormade. Talking about the serious players irons, not the bejeweled nonsense. He could stick with Taylormade woods.

Well I'm far from a TM honk - I have only 1 in the bag - That comment feels like a cheap shot to me. In terms of name prestige I would agree with you but as far as serious players irons I don't agree that Honma is necessarily better. TM is and probably always will be thought of as a woods company but IMO their better players iron offerings have been and continue to be strong. And isn't Rose playing the P730's (or Rose Proto's)?. Nothing very bejeweled about those. I would say TM has come as far as any company in recent memory to improving their "full bag" solution. I see more TM staffers bagging their putters and wedges than ever before. Anyway all that said I think you are right that he would probably stick with TM woods.

Agreed.

A blade is a blade is a blade. Honma certainly isn’t any “bettter” performing than a p730 Customized lightly to the players specs.

If you like the size, shape, sole grind, and bounce, a blade player can play any blade.

This site always blows me away when people think irons in the same “family type” are really that different from maker to maker.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,922 ClubWRX
    The switch from Titleist to Nike worked for Rory......Justin will be fine.
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • hardcaliberhardcaliber Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 22, 2018 #44

the bishop wrote:

Agreed.

A blade is a blade is a blade. Honma certainly isn't any "bettter" performing than a p730 Customized lightly to the players specs.

If you like the size, shape, sole grind, and bounce, a blade player can play any blade.

This site always blows me away when people think irons in the same "family type" are really that different from maker to maker.

Hit a nerve I guess. Would like to clarify my comments.

1st, the "bejeweled nonsense" is a dig at Honma, not TM. Not sure if you are aware but some of their JDM offerrings are gold plated and diamond encrusted. Basically bling for rich old guys who can't play a lick.

2nd, I absolutely agree that its debatable whether anyone's forged blade is better than anyone else's. That's why I don't think it would be a big deal for Rose to switch irons. I'm sure TM blades are just fine, but there is an extra prestige factor around japanese forged irons such as Epon, Miura, etc. I would throw Honma in that category. Not sure how much of that is simply voodoo marketing. But most people on WRX I believe would perceive a Honma forged iron as equal if not superior to a Taylormade forged iron. Whether that’s true or not is another question. They may all come from the same Chinese blanks for all I know.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • rockinarrockinar Members Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    What the **** is a Honma?
  • kylesilkkylesilk PXG & Yeti Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rockinar wrote:

What the **** is a Honma?
    915 D3 Diamana D+ 70S
    913f , 913h
    712u 4 iron Pro Modus 120 S
    714 CB 5,6,7...714 MB 8-P ProModus 120S
    Vokey TVD 52,60 M..TVD 56K
    Studio Select Newport 1.5
  • Dsk321Dsk321 Members Posts: 267
    bscinstnct wrote:

I seen this guy with Honma clubs once at the Chelsea Piers.

They were all gold and the guy was smoking and talking on the phone a lot in Japanese.

He couldnt really play golf but

He was kinda scary, actually.

Rightfully afraid, he's probably ruthlessly business savvy.
    Cleveland Custom XL 7.5* Kai'li 70x
    Adams Speedline Super LS 15* Px8a4
    Adams VSTpro 17 SPXVST Black 85x
    Ping S56 KBS tour X 3-PW
    Scratch 8620 54/60
    Byron Morgan 8812
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Rose to rock this hat and a 10 iron would be cool.

GettyImages-631768880-630x405.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-02-08-at-11.44.04-630x473.jpg
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

the bishop wrote:

Agreed.

A blade is a blade is a blade. Honma certainly isn't any "bettter" performing than a p730 Customized lightly to the players specs.

This site always blows me away when people think irons in the same "family type" are really that different from maker to maker.

Hit a nerve I guess. Would like to clarify my comments.

1st, the "bejeweled nonsense" is a dig at Honma, not TM. Not sure if you are aware but some of their JDM offerrings are gold plated and diamond encrusted. Basically bling for rich old guys who can't play a lick.

2nd, I absolutely agree that its debatable whether anyone's forged blade is better than anyone else's. That's why I don't think it would be a big deal for Rose to switch irons. I'm sure TM blades are just fine, but there is an extra prestige factor around japanese forged irons such as Epon, Miura, etc. I would throw Honma in that category. Not sure how much of that is simply voodoo marketing. But most people on WRX I believe would perceive a Honma forged iron as equal if not superior to a Taylormade forged iron. Whether that’s true or not is another question. They may all come from the same Chinese blanks for all I know.

Come on now. Everyone knows that Honma, Epon and Miura use that special “magic” Japanese steel like in the old Samurai swords. It’s ten times better than everyone else’s.....right?

....I better watch out. The JDM devotees May attack me if I joke around too much.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • RustynutsRustynuts Members Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rose can go to Honma and they can pay him x amount of millions but it won’t make a single golfer in this country play Honma. They may as well flush the cash down the toilet
  • clichecliche Members Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you guys seen what some of those clubs cost? recently there was a honma demo at the range. the most exensive club costs 6'000$

for that 6'000 you wont get a set.

one fri..n iron for 6'000!!!

they must be mad
  • Jacked_LoftJacked_Loft Steps Ahead Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    Rustynuts wrote:

Rose can go to Honma and they can pay him x amount of millions but it won’t make a single golfer in this country play Honma. They may as well flush the cash down the toilet

I would have agreed with you before Mark King got on board, but now I'm not so sure.

PXG's success shows that the premium segment is far from being oversaturated, so why should Honma not try to expand thier market depth? Some of thier irons not only look great but they feel beautiful when struck well, even those without the bling.

Honma has recently centralized thier European distribution operations which normally means either they're getting ready to shrink or expand. With King now moving pieces around the board I would guess the latter of the two, and here is where a signing of a high echelon PGA tour player becomes plausible.

It doesn't have to be Rose but he would be a great fit for Honma's European sales culture, and depending what they have in the pipeline an expansion of thier US footprint is 100% viable.
    WIMB:

`16 M1 9.5 Fuji Evo TS 661
    `17 M1 3&5 Kuro Kage 70
    P790 3I Nippon 950
    P770 4-GW Nippon 950
    MG 56° LB KBS REV
    Spider Tour BLK
    H2NO Carry
  • marmooskapaulmarmooskapaul Members Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Donovan84 wrote:

Wow, I think I'm fairly tuned into the golf world, and this is the first time I've ever heard of Honma Golf.

I'm no equipment geek...but I'm with you. Never remember hearing or seeing that brand??

As far as any pro changing brands for "big" money...got to get the contracts before your game goes down hill...for whatever reason..age..injury,,Rose is at the age and still has the game to get the big money.
    Rustynuts wrote:

Whether or not they will have a larger net profit after signing Rose remains to be seen, but yes they will sell more clubs if they sign Rose and start a huge marketing push in the US. They don’t market clubs here much at all. If PXG can get a foothold, why not Honma?
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • jojjoj Members Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:
    The switch from Titleist to Nike worked for Rory......Justin will be fine.

It’s working well for Sergio too...
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard several players are going to be bagging "The Hammer". Booooommm!!!
  • andrieddleandrieddle Members Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Honma Tour World lines are for the serious players, their BERES lines are the blinged up, gold plated, diamond encrusted clubs are the ones for the rich guys who can't play but love to gamble their money out.

I hope he signs with Honma for irons and wedges and stick to TM for woods and get a custom putter from somebody....
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    andrieddle wrote:

Honma Tour World lines are for the serious players, their BERES lines are the blinged up, gold plated, diamond encrusted clubs are the ones for the rich guys who can't play but love to gamble their money out.

I hope he signs with Honma for irons and wedges and stick to TM for woods and get a custom putter from somebody....

I can see it making sense signing Rose. He’s highly ranked and he doesn’t have his own bag design advertising any of his other sponsors. He’s using a basic TM staff bag. And the most important thing for Honma staff players in helping build brand awareness is getting their players in deals that involve the bag and hardcovers if possible. SO if look for minimal deals. Irons, bag, and headcovers. Wedges would be desirable. Getting a player tobag the woods would be a bonus but the headcovers are more important.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution  V2 High Launch - S
    W/S C300 15* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    W/S PMP 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Pro Platinum
    Zurich doesn’t have anything on his bag?
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought his preferred car brand was Range Rover?
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    iBanesto wrote:

Rose to rock this hat and a 10 iron would be cool.

Screen-Shot-2018-02-08-at-11.44.04-630x473.jpg

Honma irons used to go to 11...

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file