Question for guys with golfing wife/GF

KSP

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy golf even more now that my wife plays. My reasons are as follow but not in any particular order.

1. It gives me another reason to go out and golf even more.

2. It help me build even more patients with the game.

3. I truly think because I am more patient. That it has help me become more consistent. I’m 13 rounds straight shooting low to mid 80’s.

4. Love staring at my wife in her golf outfit. And I’m sure other guys do to, lol.

5. The satisfaction that I taught my wife how to golf.

I’m pretty sure I can think of more. But you guys get the idea.

The only bad I can think of is the learning process I had to go through with my wife.

I enjoy golf even more now that my wife plays. My reasons are as follow but not in any particular order.

3. I truly think because I am more patient. That it has help me become more consistent. I’m 13 rounds straight shooting low to mid 80’s.

4. Love staring at my wife in her golf outfit. And I’m sure other guys do to, lol.

The only bad I can think of is the learning process I had to go through with my wife.

+1 for women’s golf clothing

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Met my fiance on the golf course. I am a decent player. She usually beats me, she played Division 1 and was a top high school golfer. She doesn't play as much any more. I play a couple times a week, she plays maybe once every 2 weeks unless we go on a trip because she travels a lot for work. This year we played Pebble Beach, Arcadia Bluffs, Streamsong, Forest Dunes and Bethpage Black. No chance I play all of those without a golfing significant other. Next year for the first week of our honeymoon we are golfing in Scotland. She also understands the need/want for new golf stuff, clothes/clubs etc.

I am not sure how this can be a bad thing unless you are just with the wrong person.

Oh, also.. Having a girl that can drive the ball 240+ in scrambles from the reds is quite the perk as well.

Uhm, my wife actually got me my first set of (inexpensive) golf clubs when we were dating (she grew up in a golfing family). I never golfed until then, remember taking those clubs to play 9 holes after work about 4-5 times before venturing to play 18 on the weekend where the starter tried to put me with a group who asked "what do you normally shoot?".... I was honest, I said 76-78 and they said great, you'll fit right in. After 3 holes they asked, do you really shoot 76-78 for 18 holes, to which I replied "are you crazy?, that's for 9 holes! (I answered honestly, lol). I've gotten better since :-) .

Uhm, my wife likes to play golf, I play men's MGA and she plays with the ladies, but I play 90% of my rounds with her (2-3 times/week)….played 18 with her yesterday and likely play again this afternoon, and she actually gets me to go out in winter when I'm not anxious to play in 45*F weather (I'm more of a >55*F golfer). Bumped into a guy from our club and he said to me "oh, you're the guy that plays golf with your wife", lol, don't know if that distinction was a complement or not (I know a few husband/wives that play together all the time at our club). Almost all of our vacations are built around golf... I can't remember any in 30 years that we didn't bring golf clubs. When our son was in junior golf and played local/statewide/AJGA golf tournaments, we would go and play a practice round together (me, wife, son) which was fun. I miss those times....did that for 10 years.

And she is competitive...she sports an 18 HC index, I was around 16 and now drifted down to 14-ish, but she will say mid-round when she hits a bad shot 'darn, now you're doing to go ahead of me' and I'm surprised "uhm, are you keeping track of our scores mid-round?, wow".

In a recent article from golf digest (I think), they asked golfers how satisfied they are with their golfing life/setup. Not related to scores, just overall satisfaction with the game. Not surprisingly, single guys were the most satisfied. Not far behind were married guys with non golfing spouse. What shocked me is that golfers with wife/gf who actually played golf had the lowest satisfaction, by far.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. I assumed that having a golfing wife made it a million times easier to get out on the course. I’m married and my wife doesn’t play. I get out a decent amount, but I’m always strategizing ways to make it to the course.

I was just wondering if anybody who has a golfing spouse or knows people who do, could explain why their satisfaction scores were so low.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Pretty simple really. Both Men and Women need their own times away from each other and do their own thing. Especially men so we can act stupid, cuss, fart, drink, be silly, and hit on the cart girls with their (.)(.)'s flopping out of that tank top hustling tips. Its a Man Thing ladies, just accept it, harmless, and you do not need to understand it. Wifey or GF would just be a wet blanket and slow things way down. She has her people to play with, and I have mine. I just make sure wifey tee times are after mine because it will take her 5 hours or more to play. Nothing wrecks or spoils my fun more than slow play with a Wet Blanket.

Pretty simple really. Both Men and Women need their own times away from each other and do their own thing. Especially men so we can act stupid, cuss, fart, drink, be silly, and hit on the cart girls with their (.)(.)'s flopping out of that tank top hustling tips. Its a Man Thing ladies, just accept it, harmless, and you do not need to understand it. Wifey or GF would just be a wet blanket and slow things way down. She has her people to play with, and I have mine. I just make sure wifey tee times are after mine because it will take her 5 hours or more to play. Nothing wrecks or spoils my fun more than slow play with a Wet Blanket.

I would almost guarantee my fiance plays quicker and would take you to the woodshed lol.

Sounds like a classy joint for a classy guy.

Its a cretin thing.

Act like an actual adult, and there's no reason to be concerned about a "wet blanket". And please move along, my wife and I have been waiting on you while you hit on that bev-cart girl.

Let me guess the contents of your car's trunk - flat space-saver spare tire, 4-pack of warm beers, golf clubs and a lamp shade.

+1 for women’s golf clothing

+2... My wife looks WAY better in a skort and tight shirt than any of the guys I play with! Of course, the distraction factor probably adds at least 3 strokes a round to my score.

Met my wife while we were both working at a golf course, I was full time and it was her part time gig, so at that point I was probably playing 80-100x a season around my irregular hours, and probably 3-4x a month with her when her regular job allowed it. She started golfing well before we met so it wasn't like I was teaching her the game at all, which I could see being a task in some instances :P

We have a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old now and we usually get out 2-3 times a month depending on weather and the babysitting situation. We're lucky to have her parents living 5 minutes away who can babysit most weekends if we want to get out, we play 8-9 out of 10 rounds together at the moment but I can see in the next couple of years when the kids are older us both playing in separate leagues if time allows it...our biggest thing is making sure communication is open, her only issue is that I have a bunch of other friends that golf and almost none of her girl friends do, so most of our rounds are together just for that reason alone. We also head to Phoenix every Christmas for 2-3 weeks(her parents are snowbirds and have a place on a course) and play almost every day down there which would definitely not be happening without a golfing spouse!

In the grand scheme of things, while I don't golf anywhere near as much as I did when I was single or before we had kids, I definitely play a lot more golf than I would if I had a wife who didn't golf and 2 children under 5, so at this point in my life I would definitely say having a wife that plays golf is a positive for sure!

(What isn't a positive is that I bought her a new driver and she is playing out of her skin and has beaten me 4 of the last 5 rounds, but that's another ball of wax altogether :P)

Met my wife while we were both working at a golf course, I was full time and it was her part time gig, so at that point I was probably playing 80-100x a season around my irregular hours, and probably 3-4x a month with her when her regular job allowed it. She started golfing well before we met so it wasn't like I was teaching her the game at all, which I could see being a task in some instances :P

We have a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old now and we usually get out 2-3 times a month depending on weather and the babysitting situation. We're lucky to have her parents living 5 minutes away who can babysit most weekends if we want to get out, we play 8-9 out of 10 rounds together at the moment but I can see in the next couple of years when the kids are older us both playing in separate leagues if time allows it...our biggest thing is making sure communication is open, her only issue is that I have a bunch of other friends that golf and almost none of her girl friends do, so most of our rounds are together just for that reason alone. We also head to Phoenix every Christmas for 2-3 weeks(her parents are snowbirds and have a place on a course) and play almost every day down there which would definitely not be happening without a golfing spouse!

In the grand scheme of things, while I don't golf anywhere near as much as I did when I was single or before we had kids, I definitely play a lot more golf than I would if I had a wife who didn't golf and 2 children under 5, so at this point in my life I would definitely say having a wife that plays golf is a positive for sure!

(What isn't a positive is that I bought her a new driver and she is playing out of her skin and has beaten me 4 of the last 5 rounds, but that's another ball of wax altogether :P)

You need to secretly change the settings on her new driver!

hell, if my wife put on a some of the stuff the lpga stars wear it would add a few strokes at the end of the round :air_kiss:

Lol, there's a thread here on this site somewhere for that.

Why wait? If the course is empty and well you both slice into the woods......these things happen.

We live 3 minutes from the course, and on those crisp fall evenings, my wife and I are often the last ones out on the course...

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be different for everyone.

Scenario 1

Most guys I know use golf to get away from their wives. The club is where they can hang out and let loose with their buddies, catch up on work and sports. These guys would probably hate it it their wives also golfed.

Scenario 2

Some guys married women who also play, or got their woman into the game. These guys I've met, it's the same every time. While the woman enjoys playing, she doesn't have the same level of desire to play as the guy, so the guys don't seem to get smothered by her always being around the course.

Scenario 3

Married guys with wives who golf as much as they do, and the guys love spending every moment with them on the course. Oddly, I've only ran into much older couples who are like this. Usually in their 50's.

Scenario 4

Single guys obviously do whatever they want, and answer to nobody. They have a lot more time to practice, and play.

Did I miss any scenarios?

Scenario 1

Most guys I know use golf to get away from their wives. The club is where they can hang out and let loose with their buddies, catch up on work and sports. These guys would probably hate it it their wives also golfed.

Scenario 2

Some guys married women who also play, or got their woman into the game. These guys I've met, it's the same every time. While the woman enjoys playing, she doesn't have the same level of desire to play as the guy, so the guys don't seem to get smothered by her always being around the course.

Scenario 3

Married guys with wives who golf as much as they do, and the guys love spending every moment with them on the course. Oddly, I've only ran into much older couples who are like this. Usually in their 50's.

Scenario 4

Single guys obviously do whatever they want, and answer to nobody. They have a lot more time to practice, and play.

In my opinion, one big one.

I don't golf to "get away" from the wife. I golf because I love to pay golf. My wife just happens to have no interest in playing. I try to play early so that I can still have plenty of time to spend with the family.

There is a big thing difference between taking some time for yourself to do something you love, and trying to "get away" from the person you share your life with ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Scenario 1

Scenario 2

Scenario 3

Scenario 4

In my opinion, one big one.

I don't golf to "get away" from the wife. I golf because I love to pay golf. My wife just happens to have no interest in playing. I try to play early so that I can still have plenty of time to spend with the family.

There is a big thing difference between taking some time for yourself to do something you love, and trying to "get away" from the person you share your life with ...

Completely agree. Not every golfer is trying to get away from their miserable married life. I love to golf it is my favorite hobby, I would still do it if my fiance didn't but not to get away from her. I guess we fall in category 3 though, but are each in our upper 20s, not 50s/60s haha.

I think the guys who are trying to run away from their wives and need a "break" from it all are the guys shooting 90+, making the cart girl uncomfortable and getting hammered. Generally ****** bags.

Thanks for the honest answer. I was looking to find out why the poll said married guys with golfing wife are less satisfied with the game then others. It’s obvious many people love golfing with their wife. It’s really informative to hear all sides, just to understand how things work in this day and age.

Thanks for the honest answer. I was looking to find out why the poll said married guys with golfing wife are less satisfied with the game then others. It’s obvious many people love golfing with their wife. It’s really informative to hear all sides, just to understand how things work in this day and age.

First thing to do would be to get a breakdown of how many of those married guys with a golfing wife that are less satisfied have kids. I would love it if my wife golfed, but I would have to play substantially less if we both played. When both parents work and young kids are involved, it's often necessary to take "turns" doing activities outside of the family. Plus, as the kids outside activities also typically increase with age, things don't always get better as they get older.

I'm lucky that both my wife and daughter are not morning people. If I play early, I'm usually able to golf and get back within an hour or two of them waking up.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Richard and I played as a mixed BB team, I played with/against him in one of his weekly SWATS at his club and we would grab a cart and go out 1-2 evenings and jump around and play 9-12 holes if I didn’t have lessons or didn’t have to close the shop. I always told Richard that he in no way should have felt obligated to play with me but he said that he wanted to or he would not have asked me otherwise. One thing about Richard is that he does not patronize anyone, and if he doesn’t want to do something, he will not do it, whatever that may be or whomever it may be with, haha. I could see guys not wanting to play regularly with their spouse if she was not that good, though that wasn’t a factor with us. I found the results of that survey very surprising, especially the married couples who both played :)