Rick Shiels - Wilson Staff Cortex Review

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the folks who are trying to shame those of us who are calling out the Wilson brand and their pricing strategy by calling us haters...keep this in mind...

In business, generally you either innovate or you copy. Whether that innovation be product or process, you do one or the other.

Wilson is copying. There is nothing innovative about cortex...NOTHING.

Nothing? My understanding is that the FULL titanium cage is the first time that's been seen in a driver from any company. Apparently creating an incredibly stable, distortion free head at impact.

You certainly are correct about companies copying though. They all do it.

Joe consumer has no idea what a titanium chassis means. Stable and distortion free...

Stability (ie high MOI) is being done incredibly well by taylormade and ping.

Distortion free - not even sure what that means. What will it produce? Better ball speeds? Better feel? Better sound? Better WHAT?

Maybe it means the head won't crack if you swing over 100 mph?

BT

It means that W/S worked very hard to get someone else to design a driver that can finally almost keep up with the other brands out there. They finally make a driver that they can "market"

That’s it.

The titanium cage is the same concept that Callaway had in the epic.

Gotta say it,

The NEW Taylormade M5 looks like a DUMBED down version of the Wilson Cortex!!!! Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that they could be getting pumped out from the same Chinese factory???

YES, YES I DID!!!

Cortex IS much better looking driver!! The TM is very, very cheap looking!!!!

Wilson is still a big brand outside of their golf division. They have some deep pockets to invest in their public perception for their golf clubs. The corporate brand can afford to pay some bigger names and get their products seen on TV. If they want to compete in price with the OEM's that are already doing so, they are going to have to follow suit.

Glad to hear you had success with the Cortex. I was on Wilson's site the other day and noticed that there are a lot more shaft options there than in store. So, if anyone gets the chance to demo one with any of those shafts, they may find a better fit.

I think Wilson's large corporate is exactly why they've let golf slip, and why they have been somewhat slow to invest heavily in the sport again. Look at the number of highly successful organizations that have passed around TaylorMade. Nike stepped out of golf completely. Remember when Nickent tried to play with the big boys and quickly ran out of cash? I'm not claiming to be an industry expert, but it sure seems like golf companies have a habit of building revenues, but less often building profits.

All in all, I think modern golf equipment simply isn't that profitable. Sure, there's lots of revenue to be had, but I don't know about profit. Wilson might be highly content with their ratios. They probably are. Sure, they could easily front the checks to get a few of the big boys rocking their gear, and it probably would move the needle. But would it move it as much across the bottom line for the whole company? Would getting a Wilson driver and irons in the hands of 2 top 10 players really pay off as well as getting tennis racquets in the hands of some of the higher profile female players at a percentage of the cost? Or getting more gloves out on MLB fields to help continue to move towards being the #1 glove in MLB stadiums.

And aside from the sponsorship, look at production and R&D. Designing a full quality set of golf clubs probably cost a lot more than designing 1 quality line of racquets. Why even make an effort to be the #7 ball in golf when they are already the official ball of the US Open for tennis? Why put a few hundred grand of R&D into a driver when they could put less into a new baseball mit, that also cost less to make and can sell for more than a single iron or wedge.

The Cortex is a good looking driver that has people talking. And if Wilson really plans to only produce a set number of them, I have a feeling they selected that number very strategically. Yes, they could be doing more to get it out there and try to take over golf. But when they have all these other divisions doing well, why would they? Maybe being a big name in golf has the revenue, but not the profits.

Gotta say it,

The NEW Taylormade M5 looks like a DUMBED down version of the Wilson Cortex!!!! Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that they could be getting pumped out from the same Chinese factory???

YES, YES I DID!!!

That can't be real, that looks so bad. People are losing their minds over the Epic Flash and that thing looks like a Walmart driver had a baby with another Walmart driver.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Gotta say it,

YES, YES I DID!!!

That can't be real, that looks so bad. People are losing their minds over the Epic Flash and that thing looks like a Walmart driver had a baby with another Walmart driver.

A bunch of M5/M6 photos starting to pop-up??? They both look P-O-O-P-P-Y!!!

https://golficity.com/new-taylormade-m5-and-m6-pictures-leaked-on-instagram/

Wilson is still a big brand outside of their golf division. They have some deep pockets to invest in their public perception for their golf clubs. The corporate brand can afford to pay some bigger names and get their products seen on TV. If they want to compete in price with the OEM's that are already doing so, they are going to have to follow suit.

Glad to hear you had success with the Cortex. I was on Wilson's site the other day and noticed that there are a lot more shaft options there than in store. So, if anyone gets the chance to demo one with any of those shafts, they may find a better fit.

I think Wilson's large corporate is exactly why they've let golf slip, and why they have been somewhat slow to invest heavily in the sport again. Look at the number of highly successful organizations that have passed around TaylorMade. Nike stepped out of golf completely. Remember when Nickent tried to play with the big boys and quickly ran out of cash? I'm not claiming to be an industry expert, but it sure seems like golf companies have a habit of building revenues, but less often building profits.

All in all, I think modern golf equipment simply isn't that profitable. Sure, there's lots of revenue to be had, but I don't know about profit. Wilson might be highly content with their ratios. They probably are. Sure, they could easily front the checks to get a few of the big boys rocking their gear, and it probably would move the needle. But would it move it as much across the bottom line for the whole company? Would getting a Wilson driver and irons in the hands of 2 top 10 players really pay off as well as getting tennis racquets in the hands of some of the higher profile female players at a percentage of the cost? Or getting more gloves out on MLB fields to help continue to move towards being the #1 glove in MLB stadiums.

And aside from the sponsorship, look at production and R&D. Designing a full quality set of golf clubs probably cost a lot more than designing 1 quality line of racquets. Why even make an effort to be the #7 ball in golf when they are already the official ball of the US Open for tennis? Why put a few hundred grand of R&D into a driver when they could put less into a new baseball mit, that also cost less to make and can sell for more than a single iron or wedge.

The Cortex is a good looking driver that has people talking. And if Wilson really plans to only produce a set number of them, I have a feeling they selected that number very strategically. Yes, they could be doing more to get it out there and try to take over golf. But when they have all these other divisions doing well, why would they? Maybe being a big name in golf has the revenue, but not the profits.

Nailed it. If you follow their racquet division they are the equivalent of TM or Cally in tennis. They could do it but does the parent company support it?

Gotta say it,

YES, YES I DID!!!

Don't look anything alike, but keep trolling your own troll I guess.

Gotta say it,

YES, YES I DID!!!

Don't look anything alike, but keep trolling your own troll I guess.

Where would you like your free bag of peanuts delivered?

Where is his review on this club? Seems to be dragging his feet a bit. We all know launch conditions are good, ball speed is a little low, forgiveness (speed retention not direction) is lacking a bit, but overall the #’s are okay.

I expect at least one “look at that flight” btw.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

All in all, I think modern golf equipment simply isn't that profitable. Sure, there's lots of revenue to be had, but I don't know about profit. Wilson might be highly content with their ratios. They probably are.

Gotta be a lot more profitable too to have relatively no R&D or graphics design department compared to other OEMs and instead you just bring in guys off the street to throw new driver designs at you that you then hash out the rest on a tv game show.

Thats mostly sarcastic with a tinge of sadness - but also truth. I am sure the contestants sign over all of their design ideas to Wilson so they probably also get to hold onto all these ideas for the future too.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

All in all, I think modern golf equipment simply isn't that profitable. Sure, there's lots of revenue to be had, but I don't know about profit. Wilson might be highly content with their ratios. They probably are.

Gotta be a lot more profitable too to have relatively no R&D or graphics design department compared to other OEMs and instead you just bring in guys off the street to throw new driver designs at you that you then hash out the rest on a tv game show.

Thats mostly sarcastic with a tinge of sadness - but also truth. I am sure the contestants sign over all of their design ideas to Wilson so they probably also get to hold onto all these ideas for the future too.

That's interesting.

I wonder if the designers sign over their patent to Wilson just to be ON the show or does only the winner agree give up the rights to his entered design ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

If you don't want to watch. Says its the best driver Wilson has put out and isn't better than any of the top brands. Hits most of his numbers, but spins and launches a little high. Doesn't say what shaft he used other than Atmos Tour Spec 7x, it's either the blue or the black. Sound is good on center strikes, little tinny on off center strikes. He says it performs as well as the big boys but the price is high for a brand that isn't as sexy.

Need a new driver for 2019 and I'm really going to try and go with the Cortex, just gotta like a company like Wilson putting in this kind of effort.

I've hit the Cortex against the G400 Max and for me the Cortex performs better. I think because the Cortex spins a little more and being a low spin player, the Cortex is what I need. In this world of lower and lower spin driver designs, I struggle to get enough spin at driver fittings. Love that Wilson kept this driver at 45" and the stock Atmos offer is a great move.

I'll hit G400 Max vs Cortex (and any others that can compete) a few more times this winter and if the Cortex continues to win I'll get one as soon as I can get one for something less than the $500 sticker.

If you don't want to watch. Says its the best driver Wilson has put out and isn't better than any of the top brands. Hits most of his numbers, but spins and launches a little high. Doesn't say what shaft he used other than Atmos Tour Spec 7x, it's either the blue or the black. Sound is good on center strikes, little tinny on off center strikes. He says it performs as well as the big boys but the price is high for a brand that isn't as sexy.

That’s a matter of opinion, as a long time Wilson iron player I prefer their clubs to most other oem’s. I realize I’m in the minority here.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I think he did a good job, very simple not very in depth and covered all the bases.

He was very clear that this is the “best” driver that Wilson has made and was very clear to say it was not “better” than Callaway, Taylormade or Ping.

His numbers looked good, but he did not address whether or not he would play this driver or how it feels or compares to his current driver? Was very careful not to get into comparing it to other brands.

He seemed very neutral and the message seemed to be that Wilson did a good job for Wilson.

Not much to takeaway. I think if Wilson offered a Free 60 Day trial like Srixon with their Z785 they would get more people to pick up try that would otherwise pass it by.

That's interesting.

I wonder if the designers sign over their patent to Wilson just to be ON the show or does only the winner agree give up the rights to his entered design ?

Based on contest I've run in my career with various companies and agencies, Wilson probably owns or gets full usage rights for any design they want moving forward. Given that they likely wanted some experienced designers and engineers to enter, I think going with full usage rights seems easier than full ownership.

It performs the same as last years top drivers. Will be interesting to see how the cortex compares to G410, Epic flash, M5 etc.

Will be interested to see if anyone puts out a review of this against them but imo is keeping up with old drivers and while there’s not a lot to be gained year to year with drivers I have a feeling it’s going to be 2-3 mph slower than the new stuff

I like that Rick clearly stated he was hired by the Golf Channel, not hired by Wilson. I think that explains some of the delay of the review and helps justify him being unbiased to some extent.

I don’t doubt that Golf Channel signed his check, but it’s crazy to think that GC and Wilson didn’t come up with the list of candidates with Wilson having the final say. Clarke is based in Chicago and both Urlacher and Roenick were on the show? In my opinion that is not a coincidence. I feel he’s too proud to eat crow after calling out Crossfield for his association with Titleist. Crossfield has used that partnership to put out some good content and not just get a paycheck or prestige from the relationship.