2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf Pride +4 vs. Lamkin Plus

deep18

Interested as well.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I have used both the Lamkin Players Cord and the MCC + 4 - currently using the Players Cord. Haven't tried the Sonar Grip, but I may try the Justin Rose Lamkin grip next season for something slightly smoother.

Lamkins have slightly more taper than the MCC+4, I would say they are half way between a standard and the MCC+4. I didn't like the MCC because the extra rubber felt squishy to me...players cord much firmer, especially once you give them a pass of sandpaper.

One thing to be mindful of if you don't like taper is the butt diameter of your shaft. A dynamic gold shaft is 0.6" the whole area you will put a grip, but my Aldila Tour blue is 0.62" at the very end, but it tapers down to ~0.58" by the bottom hand. Might seem like OCD, but that is the equivalent to 4 wraps of tape difference between the DG and the Aldila Shaft.

I use calipers to measure the shafts, and then add build up tape as needed before adding the grip. For me it is 2 wraps all the way down on a DG shaft, but 6 wraps on the bottom hand of the Aldila shaft.

Hope that helps!

I have used both the Lamkin Players Cord and the MCC + 4 - currently using the Players Cord. Haven't tried the Sonar Grip, but I may try the Justin Rose Lamkin grip next season for something slightly smoother.

Lamkins have slightly more taper than the MCC+4, I would say they are half way between a standard and the MCC+4. I didn't like the MCC because the extra rubber felt squishy to me...players cord much firmer, especially once you give them a pass of sandpaper.

One thing to be mindful of if you don't like taper is the butt diameter of your shaft. A dynamic gold shaft is 0.6" the whole area you will put a grip, but my Aldila Tour blue is 0.62" at the very end, but it tapers down to ~0.58" by the bottom hand. Might seem like OCD, but that is the equivalent to 4 wraps of tape difference between the DG and the Aldila Shaft.

I use calipers to measure the shafts, and then add build up tape as needed before adding the grip. For me it is 2 wraps all the way down on a DG shaft, but 6 wraps on the bottom hand of the Aldila shaft.

Hope that helps!

Dynamic Golds taper in the handle but Project X shafts do not. For that reason I use The Players Cord on my irons (Project X) and the Players Cord Plus in my wedges and woods (Dynamic Gold and Aldila) to maintain a similar feel.

I tried the MCC Plus 4s in my irons on PXs a little this past summer and they were just. little too big on PX shafts for me.

In my experience of installing both I would say that the Lamkin plus grips have a slightly smaller bottom hand than the Plus 4s. They don't taper much but it's not quite as bulky under the bottom hand as the Plus 4's.

I think Lamkin is really starting to make a run at Golf Pride in the aftermarket world. If you're a Tour Velvet BCT player you'll love the Players Cord and to offer it in a reduced taper for the same price is great. I wish they would make a crossline in the Plus and keep it the same price. I'm pretty sure we're going to see a Tour Velvet Plus 4 but Golf Pride will charge $8 for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed lamkin sonar grips on my MP59 irons and must say I absolutely love the feel. To me they feel similar as far as thickness and the reduce taper as the mc+4 but the sonar are tackier which is what I like. Im a big fan and actually just ordered another set of sonar grips for my backup set.

Big Kudos to Lamkin for making great grips!

• 9 months later...

Bumping an old thread.

Curious to see how everyone is still getting along with these grips? Not a lot of info or reviews out about player's cord. Currently playing mcc +4 and am ready for a change. The bottom hand is a little too soft.

Curious about the player's cord, sonar tour and possibly sonar. I have modus tour 120 shafts and prefer a midsize grip that is closer to standard, if that makes sense. MCC +4 bottom hand feels a little to big for me. My miss with irons tends to be a block fade and I am working on turning the ball over a little more from right to left as a right handed player. Like a medium feel with not too much tack. Appreciate any help.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I switched from the UTx midsize to the player's cord plus. Really liking the change.

The UTx midsize is on the small side for a midsize but it was just a little too big. The PC-plus is just perfect.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @wam78 said:

> Bumping an old thread.

>

> Curious to see how everyone is still getting along with these grips? Not a lot of info or reviews out about player's cord. Currently playing mcc +4 and am ready for a change. The bottom hand is a little too soft.

>

> Curious about the player's cord, sonar tour and possibly sonar. I have modus tour 120 shafts and prefer a midsize grip that is closer to standard, if that makes sense. MCC +4 bottom hand feels a little to big for me. My miss with irons tends to be a block fade and I am working on turning the ball over a little more from right to left as a right handed player. Like a medium feel with not too much tack. Appreciate any help.

Had the same experience as you with the mcc +4's and went with the tour velvet +4's and am'not looking back. Love the firmer feel.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

> @jvincent said:

> I switched from the UTx midsize to the player's cord plus. Really liking the change.

>

> The UTx midsize is on the small side for a midsize but it was just a little too big. The PC-plus is just perfect.

How long have you played the pc-plus? How is the durability?

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

I only just put them on about a month or so ago so I can't really comment on the durability yet.

Just changed out all my grips to the Crossline Plus grips, and I'm really liking them. I previously used the UTx grips with some extra wraps on the bottom hand for buildup, and like the size of the Crossline Plus much better. Can't comment on the durability of the grips yet.

I never cared for the MCC +4 because the rubber part felt too "squishy" during my transition.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

> @jvincent said:

> I only just put them on about a month or so ago so I can't really comment on the durability yet.

Thanks for the reply. Can you comment on the difference in feel between the Utx midsize and player's cord? These are the two I am deciding on. Tried the sonar and sonar tour yesterday. Liked the sonar tour a lot better, but just wasn't completely sold.

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

> @wam78 said:

> > @jvincent said:

> > I only just put them on about a month or so ago so I can't really comment on the durability yet.

>

> Thanks for the reply. Can you comment on the difference in feel between the Utx midsize and player's cord? These are the two I am deciding on. Tried the sonar and sonar tour yesterday. Liked the sonar tour a lot better, but just wasn't completely sold.

The UTx has a little bit more tack to it than the players cord.

I also think that the UTx is just a little less firm than the PC. I'm not sure if the firmness is a function of mid-size vs standard or the rubber compound.

• 4 months later...

To bump this thread back up, I have been using the tour velvet midsize for a couple years now. Just bought some MCC midsize & don't like the feel, they seem much thicker so they're going back.

Thinking about going Tour Velvet+4 but debating between std and midsize because of the built up bottoms. Also looking at the Lamkin players cords plus and the ts1; same debate, std or midsize.

Anyone that has gone to the plus4 versions, did you stay in midsize or did you back down to std, given the larger bottom hand?

Been using the +4s for some time and just installed a lamkin on one club to experiment. Some other posters on here have nailed it, size wise the taper (or lack thereof) is fairly similar in size, but the lamkins I feel like aren't as soft as the +4. I was actually surprised the tack on the lamkin seems great, too early to know how it holds up in hot/wet weather, as that's a big consideration for me. I've always bounced back and forth between std. and mid sized, but I've stayed standard with the +4.

• Like 1

Played the MCC +'s in midsize, didn't like them at all. Size felt a bit too large in the lower hand and just not right. Changed to the Lamkin UTX mid and loved them! Then saw Golfworks running the Crossline Performance + mids buy 9 get 4 free and had to try them. They're on every set I own and I won't be changing anytime soon! Perfect size for me, very tacky and new with the swipe of a damp towel. I think Golfworks is exclusive on them. Built up lower hand but not as large as the MCC +, similar pattern to the GP TV but a much tackier and slightly softer material similar to the next gen grips they used to make.

If you want to try Lamkin they have a special deal for a free grip starting Monday the 17th....https://www.lamkingrips.com/upgrade/

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I tried out the MCC +4's midsize but never got along with them. They were a bit heavy feeling, rough, and I just never grew to like them. A month or so ago I began using the Sonar+ midsize and I instantly fell in love. Great feel, great look, and swinging them is much less work than the MCC +4's. I have no clue what durability will be, but given the way they feel and their general construction, I don't believe durability will be an issue.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

• 1 year later...

So I tried the UTX standard, UTX mid size, and MCC +4 midsize. I bought some used clubs that had the UTX's standards on them and they were great. Fairly tacky and reasonably soft ( to me). I got them reshafted and got some mid sized UTX's from Dickssporting goods and they just felt completely different. They weren't really tacky at all and felt really dry and rough on my hands. I think that the Dicks grips had simply sat long enough that they dried out?  Seemed like the only grip Dicks had a full stock of where everything else was bare. They were also the only place I could find th UTX.

Settled on the MCC aligns. Solid and reliable. For me, these dont tear up my hands at all like the UTX mid sized did.

I have no issues the the UTX other than the ones I got felt much drier and rough than the ones I had previously had on my irons. Once they come back in stock, will probably try to switch to the callaway version of the UTX without cord. I think that will be the best fit for me. 

14 minutes ago, Flip4000 said:

So I tried the UTX standard, UTX mid size, and MCC +4 midsize. I bought some used clubs that had the UTX's standards on them and they were great. Fairly tacky and reasonably soft ( to me). I got them reshafted and got some mid sized UTX's from Dickssporting goods and they just felt completely different. They weren't really tacky at all and felt really dry and rough on my hands. I think that the Dicks grips had simply sat long enough that they dried out?  Seemed like the only grip Dicks had a full stock of where everything else was bare. They were also the only place I could find th UTX.

Settled on the MCC aligns. Solid and reliable. For me, these dont tear up my hands at all like the UTX mid sized did.

I have no issues the the UTX other than the ones I got felt much drier and rough than the ones I had previously had on my irons. Once they come back in stock, will probably try to switch to the callaway version of the UTX without cord. I think that will be the best fit for me. 

My local PGASS has a large stock of UTX Midsize as well. I wonder if Lamkin were just blowing them out and gave good deals to some of their distributors. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I played the Sonar Plus for a season or two and really liked them.  Great feel and sustained tackiness that doesn't go away, as long as you clean your grips.  I switched to the Sonar Tours this year and like them even better.  Awesome grips.  Tacky and firm.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

44 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

My local PGASS has a large stock of UTX Midsize as well. I wonder if Lamkin were just blowing them out and gave good deals to some of their distributors. 

Not sure, my guess is they aren't that popular since i don't see very many out in the wild in my area. The ones I bought seemed like they might have been there a while since they were pretty dry and for a grip that is supposed to have some tack to them, there was none. The grips that came on the used clubs I bought felt way different. I am guessing I just got some bad ones.