To all the arm lock users

1235»

Comments

• gunmetalgunmetal Members Posts: 1,830 ✭✭

Literally every time I putt with this thing I like it more and I feel more confident. I actually don't think I need to alter the putter at all - I figured out a grip and stance that works and is easy to replicate.

Is it as comfortable as a regular putter? No, but the security blanket feeling of the arm lock more than makes up for it. A regular putter feels plain floppy and sloppy after using the arm lock.

I think this is the key, and what causes many people to give up. You really have to alter your entire setup - ESPECIALLY if you weren't fit for it based off your previous putting posture. Someone was saying something about pulling every putt and I immediately thought to myself you're likely still utilizing much if not all of your previous putting posture.

I don't like it because it really slows down play, but early on everyone who adopts the Arm Lock really should be putting a line on the ball and lining that line up with your intended line. Then you place the head directly behind the ball and lined up with your line on the ball with the putter perfectly soled. If this posture feels to awkward to get used to then you need to get fit to the point where it doesn't hurt or feel awkward. Bottom line is that putter head has to be in the correct position. Seems obvious but I think those who struggle are just tied to their previous posture too much and this causes a struggle to get the putter head positioned and lined up properly.

IMO, of course. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • gunmetalgunmetal Members Posts: 1,830 ✭✭

Deuce78 wrote:
    Thing is pure! Curious how the shaft feels. Lots of flex with the graphite?

It feels more flexible than the standard ski pole steel shaft but not to where it feels loose or out of control. I am waiting for a new jumbomax arm lock grip to come in to try. I have a winn flatso 17” on there now, but the jumbomax is a little heavier, so I will see how that works out.

FWIW Bryson's shaft is WAY stiffer and heavier than steel shafts, so clearly way heavier than graphite. "Stiff as a board" to quote him.

https://www.golf.com/gear/putters/2019/02/13/bryson-dechambeaus-la-golf-putter-shaft-wont-come-cheap/
  • rusty380rusty380 Members Posts: 86 ✭✭
    could I convert an old studio design 1 blade style putter to armlock or is it just completely the wrong configuration?

Its just my fun club
  • poppman2142poppman2142 Members Posts: 1,145 ✭✭
    rusty380 wrote:
    could I convert an old studio design 1 blade style putter to armlock or is it just completely the wrong configuration?

Its just my fun club

I don’t know why not, but I’m guessing you will want to head to be quite a bit heavier.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ triple diamond 10.5* with Tensei Pro Orange 70 stiff untipped
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* with Tensei Pro Orange 70 stiff untipped
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* with Tensei Pro White 70 stiff tipped 1/2"
    Callaway Apex 19' 18* with Diamana Thump 90 stiff tipped 1/4"
    Callaway Apex Pro dot 4-P with Shimada Tour X-Stiff SS 1X
    Mizuno T7 51,56,61 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff 
    Epon Zen 34.75" with Grip Master leather wrap
    Toulon Azalea 34.75" with Stability putter shaft
    2018 Callaway Chrome Soft X/Taylormade tp5x
    Golf Pride Multicompound Black/Black +1/64"
    Ogio Silencer bag
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members Posts: 330 ✭✭
    gunmetal wrote:

Literally every time I putt with this thing I like it more and I feel more confident. I actually don't think I need to alter the putter at all - I figured out a grip and stance that works and is easy to replicate.

Is it as comfortable as a regular putter? No, but the security blanket feeling of the arm lock more than makes up for it. A regular putter feels plain floppy and sloppy after using the arm lock.

I think this is the key, and what causes many people to give up. You really have to alter your entire setup - ESPECIALLY if you weren't fit for it based off your previous putting posture. Someone was saying something about pulling every putt and I immediately thought to myself you're likely still utilizing much if not all of your previous putting posture.

I don't like it because it really slows down play, but early on everyone who adopts the Arm Lock really should be putting a line on the ball and lining that line up with your intended line. Then you place the head directly behind the ball and lined up with your line on the ball with the putter perfectly soled. If this posture feels to awkward to get used to then you need to get fit to the point where it doesn't hurt or feel awkward. Bottom line is that putter head has to be in the correct position. Seems obvious but I think those who struggle are just tied to their previous posture too much and this causes a struggle to get the putter head positioned and lined up properly.

IMO, of course. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

1000% agree with you. I posted earlier about how I wanted to put the club right back in the mail to Odyssey ten putts in. My problem was that I was just lining up to the putt like normal, pushing the putter forward, and just expecting it to work. You are dead spot on about soling the putter head first and THEN getting into your posture. That was one of the big keys for me.

I also recently switched out the stock Odyssey arm lock grip for a Rosemark long grip and it is MUCH better. I think Odyssey did arm lock newbies a disservice by shipping with a kind of thin grip. The Rosemark isn't even THAT much chunkier but it's noticeably easier for me to make contact with my forearm. I don't feel like I need to forward press it quite as much. I'm sure that the new Superstroke that was just released would have the same effect.
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy driver, Aldila Rogue M-AX 75
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 Wood, Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Cobra King F6 Baffler, Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Srixon Z H45 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 Milled S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway Mac Daddy PM Grind 58 deg.
    Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide, Rosemark 7Teen grip
  • ArniesArmy1234ArniesArmy1234 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    I tried the Kutcher betti and a odyssey v line arm lock. Putted great inside messing around, but hated the feel once I hit the course. Went to the claw grip recently and found I really like it once I found the right grip that works for me
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 730 ✭✭
    I want to arm lock this season in an effort to change up my performance on the greens. I've always been interested in it, and now that it's converting some notable guys on Tour with positive results (even Furyk is doing it now) I really want to try it.

Outside of Bryson, I feel like I see most guys going with a face balanced putter for an arm lock model. Is that the best to go with?

I was thinking of making my own from a Toulon Palm Beach but I have yet to see a heel shafted model been given a go with arm lock style: https://www.odysseygolf.com/toulon-design/putters-2019-toulon-palm-beach-stroke-lab.html

What do you guys think?
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,274 ✭✭
    Furyk's putter shaft seems extra long, I think it contacts his upper arm?
  • THE ITCHTHE ITCH Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Furyk's putter shaft seems extra long, I think it contacts his upper arm?
    That would be an illegal putting style. The putter shaft cannot go beyond the elbow joint.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,235 ✭✭
    edited Mar 22, 2019 12:28pm #131
    I'm looking at the Valspar tournament images and I see even more players trying the arm lock method. I'm sure the ruling bodies didn't anticipate the volume of players that would go this route and not long after the anchor ban was announced I was convinced that they would some day get round to addressing the arm lock method I just felt that they would regret the lower/upper arm distinction that makes arm lock permitted. Given the surge in uptake of players using this method I'm even more convinced that governing bodies will be plotting away behind the scenes for future rule changes with this putting method being a target of new/amended rules. I think the push back, especially from tour players, would be unprecedented if this happens and I think the ruling bodies would look a little foolish.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Downtown_Brown_41Downtown_Brown_41 Members Posts: 581 ✭✭

I’m looking to duplicate my current arm lock set up with a different head. What kind of shaft are you guys throwing in there to get that kind of length?

M3 8.5* Fuji Pro TS 63
    Nike VR Pro Ltd 15* Fuji Saphire 
    M1 5w Fuji Pro 95 or P790 3 Aldila RIP 105
    P7TW 4-P x100
    Milled Grind 52 s400
    Hi Toe 58° bent to 56° x100
    Vokey Low Bounce K 60 s400
    Piretti Cortino- 36” or O-works Arm Lock-46”
    Tour Bx / Pro v1X
  • jgroganjgrogan Just another hacker!! Members Posts: 176 ✭✭
    edited Apr 6, 2019 1:31am #133

Where is everyone getting fit at for there armlock. Been testing for a couple of months now and it looks promising. Just need to get it dailed in. The heel of my putter is off the ground and might need to be a touch longer. It's a odyssey 1w works with white hot insert.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,854 ✭✭

@OldTomMorris said:
    I'm looking at the Valspar tournament images and I see even more players trying the arm lock method. I'm sure the ruling bodies didn't anticipate the volume of players that would go this route and not long after the anchor ban was announced I was convinced that they would some day get round to addressing the arm lock method I just felt that they would regret the lower/upper arm distinction that makes arm lock permitted. Given the surge in uptake of players using this method I'm even more convinced that governing bodies will be plotting away behind the scenes for future rule changes with this putting method being a target of new/amended rules. I think the push back, especially from tour players, would be unprecedented if this happens and I think the ruling bodies would look a little foolish.

Something is coming. It’s literally getting to be 1 armlocker in every group now. They won’t let it continue to grow.

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Downtown_Brown_41Downtown_Brown_41 Members Posts: 581 ✭✭
    edited Apr 6, 2019 2:36am #135

@bladehunter said:

@OldTomMorris said:

Something is coming. It’s literally getting to be 1 armlocker in every group now. They won’t let it continue to grow.

I hope not! I’ve never been this consistently good with the flat stick. Also, I think there would be major pushback from the pros

M3 8.5* Fuji Pro TS 63
    Nike VR Pro Ltd 15* Fuji Saphire 
    M1 5w Fuji Pro 95 or P790 3 Aldila RIP 105
    P7TW 4-P x100
    Milled Grind 52 s400
    Hi Toe 58° bent to 56° x100
    Vokey Low Bounce K 60 s400
    Piretti Cortino- 36” or O-works Arm Lock-46”
    Tour Bx / Pro v1X

@Downtown_Brown_41 said:

@bladehunter said:

@OldTomMorris said:

I hope not! I’ve never been this consistently good with the flat stick. Also, I think there would be major pushback from the pros

I’m not wishing it on ya. I’d vote to repeal the whole anchor ban. But I don’t think pros pushback matters much. They push back against a lot of rule changes. And they still get changed.

• b.mattayb.mattay New WRX'er Members Posts: 486 ✭✭

Can’t do it! The position is physically painful on my left wrist and shoulder!

2017 Taylormade M1 (9.5, Wishon Black 85X)

2017 Taylormade M1 (17, Wishon Black 85X)

14th Club???

714 AP2 (4-9, X100)

SM6 (46.08F, 50.12F, 55.15F, 60.12V, S400)

Some ugly, beat up putter
  • Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭

Been looking for this thread. I have been intrigued by the arm lock method for years, I used to have a very pronounced forward press with an old Bullseye I used for a long time, I felt like the shaft would have gone right up my arm. I eventually went away from that, but still sort of bowed my left wrist into a similar position. Then about 12 years ago went to a belly, struggled with it at first, but then seem to "get it" one day, and putted pretty good with it for a few years, but moved on once they wanted to ban them. Last year finally made a real effort to go left hand low, and struggled with many putters and stances, but after several months I started to get the hang of it, and was putting much better, but it would still almost leave me at times and feel really foreign one round, then good the next. I tried looking into arm lock last year, but all I really could find were the Betti's, and I didn't want to spend the $$$ on an experiment.

Flash forward to this year, and a few weeks ago I noticed Odyssey was coming out with new models, and went into to my local shop to ask about them. And low and behold, they had a used older Metal X Odyssey #1 Belly putter in good shape that somebody had bent to make it an arm lock, they had it listed for $29.99. I traded in an old wedge as an even swap to try it. Having gone left hand low, I decided to do this also with the arm lock. I played a few rounds with it, and at times it felt great, but I struggled at times on longer putts, as it seems I had a hard time hitting it hard enough on the longer ones, especially as the greens were kind of slow. Practicing short putts, it seems automatic.... However, I played a tournament this past week, and made the decision to go back to conventional for the week, and actually putted very well. I think even just practicing with the arm lock helps me have more of a shoulder stroke, but after putting with the arm lock, I will tend to blast regular putters too hard when I pick them back up, it takes a day or so to get the feel again.

I think I'm going keep experimenting, as I think I can really get to like it, maybe I should get one that is made from the start as an arm lock. I saw this model in the PGA Superstore over in Dallas last week and it did feel really good.

https://odysseygolf.com/families/alternative-putters/arm-lock/putters-2019-double-wide-armlock.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpJHr3MK84QIVv__jBx0CZAgvEAQYAiABEgL_wPD_BwE

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Srixon Z F85 15* HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.0
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z945 5-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Callaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star

@b.mattay said:

Me too. I literally do not understand how people use it.

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,235 ✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@Downtown_Brown_41 said:

@bladehunter said:

@OldTomMorris said:

I’m not wishing it on ya. I’d vote to repeal the whole anchor ban. But I don’t think pros pushback matters much. They push back against a lot of rule changes. And they still get changed.

Ditto, not wishing it on the players that use the arm lock its just my reading of the way the governing bodies think.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Tmiller72Tmiller72 Members Posts: 5,184 ✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@b.mattay said:

Me too. I literally do not understand how people use it.

Might want to try bending it more upright. When I got mine I couldn't get it to rest on my arm at all. I still need to tweak it, but it's much better.

• MontanagolfMontanagolf Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

“Might want to try bending it more upright. When I got mine I couldn't get it to rest on my arm at all. I still need to tweak it, but it's much better.”

This was it for me... mine is 79 degrees, 43 inches long and is perfect now. I am 6’6”...so take that into account...
    I use a left hand low grip with my left pointer finger extended down to the end of the putter grip & “feel” like I’m putting with the bottom 3 fingers of my left hand. Best I’ve ever putted.

• MathwizMathwiz Members Posts: 986 ✭✭
    edited Apr 13, 2019 1:44am #143

@gunmetal said:
    If they try and ban it everyone will point to their own research that concluded that not only didn't they forbid the use of armlock but they RECOMMENDED the use to those who were anchoring in the belly or chest. The USGA isn't the brightest organization, but even they know they can't do that.

After watching the Masters today, I'm not convinced they banned anchoring the full-length broom-style putters to the chest. Were they anchoring to their chest? I couldn't tell if they were or weren't.

Post edited by Mathwiz on
    Ping G400 Max 10.5°
    Taylormade 2017 M2 15°
    Srixon U65 20° 3 iron
    Srixon z565 4 thru PW
    48° & 52° Cleveland CBX wedges
    Cleveland Smart sole wedge 58°
    Ping Sigma 2 Kushin  center shaft

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.
  • MathwizMathwiz Members Posts: 986 ✭✭
    edited Apr 13, 2019 1:54am #144

I noticed on eBay there is an Odyssey 2-ball center shaft knock off being sold as an arm lock putter. The auction says it has 7° of loft, head weight about 360gr I think, and can be ordered whatever length you want at 42" or less. The price is around $129. Might be an inexpensive way to experiment. I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way. I just saw it on eBay. Has anyone tried one of these?

Ping G400 Max 10.5°
    Taylormade 2017 M2 15°
    Srixon U65 20° 3 iron
    Srixon z565 4 thru PW
    48° & 52° Cleveland CBX wedges
    Cleveland Smart sole wedge 58°
    Ping Sigma 2 Kushin  center shaft

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.
  • sleezytsleezyt Members Posts: 367 ✭✭

Added 5.5 inches to my sigma 2 tyne 4. 40 inches, 3 degrees loft. Red dot lie. 21 inch winn grip. So far so good.