Also in the bag was an Acushnet flange putter

20220630_113936.jpg

20220630_113920.jpg

20220630_121558.jpg

20220630_121554.jpg

20220630_121550.jpg

20220630_121542.jpg

20220630_121539.jpg

I'd a paid the $22 just for this putter.  I really like the shape of it from each angle you've shown.  I usually leave an old Acushnet putter like this "in its workin' clothes" as I dig the patina but I could see myself polishing this one up in a satin brushed look and clear coating it.  Not the mirror polish you sometimes see folks do but a nice mellow brushed brass finish.  I bet that'd look sweet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deejaid said:

Some 1959 Wilson Dyna-Powered irons.  Lovely set with original leather grips that cleaned up nicely.  I’ll be moving these and 1958 Hogan Sunburst’s I posted last week as they just play too short for me at 6’2” and a 38” wrist to floor.   I’m sticking with mostly 1980’s models for my vintage fix these days.

5FE99FA1-BEAA-468E-BE57-CFD65327413F.jpeg.8bcfcf50f0bc4571420fa5bb0135b9e5.jpegB9E9FEA3-AAAF-45D1-BC86-058A6D1E04AF.jpeg.6fa49426f01336ba1cac74daabe71b41.jpeg22D791C9-640D-4706-B7CB-F8C6369478ED.jpeg.f68224d461f8a2f42f8e629e5c0c471c.jpeg

Man that's a really nice set.  I have the same set that had the same "too short for me" problem so I ripped them apart and put modern shafts in them.  An interesting experience to be sure (there's a thread on here somewhere about it but sadly the pictures are gone...) but in the process I lost the beautiful original leather grips and long ferrules.  Part of me wishes I hadn't done that but I wouldn't have been able to play them otherwise. 

The 58's seem to be the ones everyone raves about but I really like my 59's.  I think they are pretty much the same thing.  As per most other irons of the era the soles don't have any real bounce but they do have a bit of a bevel about 3/16" wide behind a rather blunted leading edge which makes them surprisingly playable, again compared to others of the same era.  The 1959 Staffs definitely do not fall into the "you could shave with that thing!" category.  

Super cool set.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

1 hour ago, Swingingk said:

Man that's a really nice set.  I have the same set that had the same "too short for me" problem so I ripped them apart and put modern shafts in them.  An interesting experience to be sure (there's a thread on here somewhere about it but sadly the pictures are gone...) but in the process I lost the beautiful original leather grips and long ferrules.  Part of me wishes I hadn't done that but I wouldn't have been able to play them otherwise. 

The 58's seem to be the ones everyone raves about but I really like my 59's.  I think they are pretty much the same thing.  As per most other irons of the era the soles don't have any real bounce but they do have a bit of a bevel about 3/16" wide behind a rather blunted leading edge which makes them surprisingly playable, again compared to others of the same era.  The 1959 Staffs definitely do not fall into the "you could shave with that thing!" category.  

Super cool set.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Yeah, I bought this set to either extend or reshaft but I couldn’t bring myself to mess with an all-original set.  

The 58 and 59’s are definitely very playable with the wider sole width with the beveled leading edge.   I’ve had 58’s and 59’s and they did seem nearly identical.

• Like 3

Wishon 519 9* with Evenflow Blue

Nicklaus Air Max 16.5*

Sonartec 19*

KZG Forged Cavity Backs 4-AW

Spalding EV-A sand club

Ping ISI lob wedge

Spalding brass milled putter

3 hours ago, deejaid said:

Some 1959 Wilson Dyna-Powered irons.  Lovely set with original leather grips that cleaned up nicely.  I’ll be moving these and 1958 Hogan Sunburst’s I posted last week as they just play too short for me at 6’2” and a 38” wrist to floor.   I’m sticking with mostly 1980’s models for my vintage fix these days.

5FE99FA1-BEAA-468E-BE57-CFD65327413F.jpeg.8bcfcf50f0bc4571420fa5bb0135b9e5.jpegB9E9FEA3-AAAF-45D1-BC86-058A6D1E04AF.jpeg.6fa49426f01336ba1cac74daabe71b41.jpeg22D791C9-640D-4706-B7CB-F8C6369478ED.jpeg.f68224d461f8a2f42f8e629e5c0c471c.jpeg

those are awesome irons I would recheck and play one more club, they are way up there in my book

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Yeah, I bought this set to either extend or reshaft but I couldn’t bring myself to mess with an all-original set.  

The 58 and 59’s are definitely very playable with the wider sole width with the beveled leading edge.   I’ve had 58’s and 59’s and they did seem nearly identical.

Yeah I hear you on messing with an original set like that, it just doesn't seem right.  I struggled with the idea but finally decided that if I didn't they'd likely never be played again and that seemed wrong too so I went for it.  I built them to play and play them I did.  I've been thinking about reshafting them again now that proper ferrules are available.  

You know, I wasn't going to say anything about this but I feel like I should come clean on something.  With all the clubs I've ever bought this is the only time this has ever happened to me:  the old timer who sold them to me actually asked me to please not wreck them or alter them.  He'd played a lot of golf with them and didn't want to see them go to a bad home.  I assured him I would take care of them.  With all that I really did struggle with what to do with them as I couldn't use them as they were.  I always kind of felt guilty for tearing them down but in the end I feel like I gave them a new life they probably never would have had so I have few regrets about it.  There - I got it off my chest!  Haha!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, deejaid said:

Stunning!😍

I am 6'4" but may be a stage earlier in the evolutionary trail so my knuckles may be closer to the ground than yours and haven't found shorter 50's lengths too much of an issue. 

They do look wonderfully original including ferrules and shaft bands so can understand not wishing to mess with that originality.

'58 Sun or Starbursts also a fabulous set, the ones that perfected the perfect Precision's! 

I don't think I could bring myself to part with either.

• Like 4

Interesting that the Edge GCD had a PW rather than an Equalizer. 🤔

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

8 hours ago, dcopp7 said:

All clean and ready to be listed!

20220702_113914.jpg

20220702_113934.jpg

20220702_113942.jpg

20220702_114006.jpg

20220702_113954.jpg

20220702_114023.jpg

I’ll triple your investment….. $3 😉

• Haha 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 6/16/2022 at 12:42 AM, FlangeFan said:

damn deejaid, you always find the most desirable vintage "junk" 😉... I won't even ask what you paid, it would just upset me lol

Yeah he does have a talent for that or has a golden horseshoe up his you know what

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 7/2/2022 at 2:01 AM, Swingingk said:

Yeah I hear you on messing with an original set like that, it just doesn't seem right.  I struggled with the idea but finally decided that if I didn't they'd likely never be played again and that seemed wrong too so I went for it.  I built them to play and play them I did.  I've been thinking about reshafting them again now that proper ferrules are available.  

You know, I wasn't going to say anything about this but I feel like I should come clean on something.  With all the clubs I've ever bought this is the only time this has ever happened to me:  the old timer who sold them to me actually asked me to please not wreck them or alter them.  He'd played a lot of golf with them and didn't want to see them go to a bad home.  I assured him I would take care of them.  With all that I really did struggle with what to do with them as I couldn't use them as they were.  I always kind of felt guilty for tearing them down but in the end I feel like I gave them a new life they probably never would have had so I have few regrets about it.  There - I got it off my chest!  Haha!

I have always been of the school of thought of if you like them get them where you can play them. And even though the guy did not want them "modified" and took care of I say IMHO you are doing just that playing them and keeping them up and not letting them sit in a corner and rust. I sorta wrestled with that on the set of FCs Stickfish sent me. They had the original MT rubber grips some had swollen and loosened up and had sretched. Finally I remembered the man had told me he had sent them for me to play for free. Cut the old grips off and put a set of Tour Wraps on them. Glad I did. Now days I think my back along with swing changes I can go back to hitting them again. Looking forward to perhaps trying them this week depending on the afternoon weather

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

I have always been of the school of thought of if you like them get them where you can play them. And even though the guy did not want them "modified" and took care of I say IMHO you are doing just that playing them and keeping them up and not letting them sit in a corner and rust. I sorta wrestled with that on the set of FCs Stickfish sent me. They had the original MT rubber grips some had swollen and loosened up and had sretched. Finally I remembered the man had told me he had sent them for me to play for free. Cut the old grips off and put a set of Tour Wraps on them. Glad I did. Now days I think my back along with swing changes I can go back to hitting them again. Looking forward to perhaps trying them this week depending on the afternoon weather

I am also a believer that clubs were meant to be played, not placed on walls. That applies to the hickory and classic clubs in my possession. The first thing I do is regripping. I personally don’t put different shafts in clubs because that would cost more than what the clubs are worth and I simply look for clubs with the right shaft flex. Since earlier clubs were designed with heavier shafts, I find they play better with the older shafts they were designed for. 

I have no problem finding clubs in good playable condition and have never paid more than $35 (usually a lot less) for classic woods, $100 for classic iron sets. I will put a new grip on them and out they go. 

As a member of the Golf Historical Society of Canada, I see two distinct groups, collectors and players. I fall into the player group, anything I own was acquired to be played. I have ten sets of hickory clubs ready for play this week at a course celebrating its 100 year anniversary. In my book, what better way to celebrate history than playing equipment from the era. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

I am also a believer that clubs were meant to be played, not placed on walls. That applies to the hickory and classic clubs in my possession. The first thing I do is regripping. I personally don’t put different shafts in clubs because that would cost more than what the clubs are worth and I simply look for clubs with the right shaft flex. Since earlier clubs were designed with heavier shafts, I find they play better with the older shafts they were designed for. 

I have no problem finding clubs in good playable condition and have never paid more than $35 (usually a lot less) for classic woods, $100 for classic iron sets. I will put a new grip on them and out they go. 

As a member of the Golf Historical Society of Canada, I see two distinct groups, collectors and players. I fall into the player group, anything I own was acquired to be played. I have ten sets of hickory clubs ready for play this week at a course celebrating its 100 year anniversary. In my book, what better way to celebrate history than playing equipment from the era. 

I'm definitely a "player" not a "collector".  Even though I have a pretty big collection now there is nothing that I wouldn't play with.  If I found anything that was collectible due to it's mint condition I would sell it immediately.  The temptation would be too great to play with it and destroy the value.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Joe S said:

I'm definitely a "player" not a "collector".  Even though I have a pretty big collection now there is nothing that I wouldn't play with.  If I found anything that was collectible due to it's mint condition I would sell it immediately.  The temptation would be too great to play with it and destroy the value.  

Out of all the clubs I own only one is in the never hit status. I know the full story on it. A Pro friend of mine won it back in the 80s it is a beautiful Penna hand Made driver. It sat on display in his office over 25 years. In fact I was in that event that day. When he retired and cleaned out his office he gave it to me because he knew I would keep it and appreciate it. But that is the only one

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

I would not hesitate to play any club regardless of it being mint unless it was a museum piece. 

With the beautiful blonde grain and the way all the screws and the weight port is lined up I would say that Penna is Museum quality. Long time ago when I could do pics I did a piece and pics on it called Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Do not know if it survived the revamp on WRX a few years back

On 7/2/2022 at 1:01 AM, Swingingk said:

you did the right thing

I always try to make vintage clubs I attain playable, the ones I want to play anyway, I have to stop buying everything I see regardless of if I like them, but I digress. What is the point of getting cool old clubs and not being able to play them, grips were made to be replaced, shafts the same thing. If the leather is  not perfect I don't want them on the course because I will not have confidence in the swing so I will play like s*** , that is no fun, the fun is hitting good shots with these clubs, and saying hey I just shot 74 with a set of 59 Wilsons, not I took some vintage clubs to the course and hit the ball all over the place because they were hard to swing

however if you are a true collector of the art of clubs, and you want to display or use a completely original club as a history teaching tool, then yes do not change, I have some of each in my collection

Edited by Wham49
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

With the beautiful blonde grain and the way all the screws and the weight port is lined up I would say that Penna is Museum quality. Long time ago when I could do pics I did a piece and pics on it called Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Do not know if it survived the revamp on WRX a few years back

I can understand that. I like to play my clubs, but there have been one or two that I have struggled to take to the course.

Now, I consciously avoid new-old-stock offerings for that reason.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2022 at 8:52 AM, MrFlipper said:

Wow.

So in the throes of one of my Tony Lema phases I bought a set of 65 or 66 maxflis, pretty well used, pretty cheap. They had a shaft band with a name on them from a country club in Georgia. Worried they might be stolen or something, I searched the name and emailed a lady with a company it looked like he had done work with. Turned out it was his wife. He emailed me back, they were his old clubs.

Turned out they somehow got put in a pile of donations and were lost to him by mistake years before. He was captain of his HS team, the clubs he got new as a gift from his pro as a senior. He was now old, back surgery, couldn't play anymore. Was evidently a real stick in his day. Great wear marks on the irons.

We emailed back and forth a bunch, told him I'd send him his clubs back, if it was me I'd want them even if I couldn't play. He said no, but I told him it was a standing offer. No way I could mess with HIS clubs, I'm just a caretaker. 

No kidding about "if you are a golfer, you are my friend". He emailed me about golf experiences that I bet he hadn't shared in years. A total stranger, now my friend. Very cool experience. 

20220703_073357.jpg

I enjoy google searching the names I find on old clubs.  Most times they are deceased.  But I've found a few obituaries that mention the previous owner as a "golfer" so I figure I'm doing good by putting those clubs back out on a course.    Cool story!  

• Like 4

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

16 hours ago, Greggle said:

Hi all,

I've been collecting and playing persimmons for a while now but just joined this forum, though it's been a resource for a bit. Lately, I've been looking for playable clubs from custom clubmakers (originally inspired by an old Bert Dargie 7-wood from my grandmother and an Irving King 2-wood i found).  Thought I'd see if anyone had some knowledge to drop on my latest acquisition. 

It's a George Izett driver Model 120 Handmade (on baseplate) with a top stamp H.G. Picard painted in gold. Now, i've heard the story of Slammin' Sam Snead's famous Izett driver being acquired from Henry Picard, and i was wondering if anyone knew anything about izett wood lines, if this was the same model...and/or if Izett had a Picard line of clubs. I was planning to reach out to Izett golf to see if they had any knowledge but thought i'd check here too.

thanks all. Glad to be here, except maybe for the inspiration to keep picking up more wood and steel that makes my wife sigh and say no more golf clubs! Thanks for any info. Cheers!

PXL_20220706_192628386.MP.jpg

PXL_20220706_192610239.jpg

Welcome to our group and the rabbit hole called collecting and playing Classic Golf Clubs. Lots of knowledge in this corner of WRX

On Izette woods the company was in business a short while ago but I think they may have shut down. Used to be if you called them with the Serial Numbers they could and would tell you when and who they were built for. I have 2 sets and I called them some time back and their files went exactly with the shaft tags on them. I researched the man's name on them and found him to be deceased one of the mixed blessings of collecting classic finds but then again guys like us have saved some great clubs from being destroyed

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dcopp7 said:

Check out this stunner!  $2.99

20220706_122919.jpg

20220706_122926.jpg

20220706_122946.jpg

20220706_122957.jpg

Dennis I swear you and DJ have a lucky horse shoe stuck you know where

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I enjoy google searching the names I find on old clubs.  Most times they are deceased.  But I've found a few obituaries that mention the previous owner as a "golfer" so I figure I'm doing good by putting those clubs back out on a course.    Cool story!  

Yep I am the same way and sorta imagine the old owner up there smiling down knowing that someone else is taking care of his beloved clubs

• Like 1