It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

I'm dying to try a set of these, but not sure which ones to get. I really like the feel of the c taper but want something that launches a bit higher. C taper are stiff flex want to go back to x flex.

Thanks Zach

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Mark,

I've played 130 S with very good success and played 105X in the iblades. I loved the 105x in the long irons but 8-wedges were just disaster. I've spoke to Titleist and they recommend 125 S based on my history. The shaft I've played most through the years is C-Taper S+ which seemed to perform best for me. I'm thinking of either going back to C-taper S for more feel or 130 S (which I never felt was too much shaft), but if I do look at 125's, keeping in mind I did not get along with the 105X (big loss of distance as I could not keep the ball flight down in the short irons and wedges), which flex would you recommend.

TY for any help,

Steve

TSr3 8°

TSr3 3W 

T200 2/17°

T200 4-P,G

SM10 52, 58 

Newport 2

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

I'm dying to try a set of these, but not sure which ones to get. I really like the feel of the c taper but want something that launches a bit higher. C taper are stiff flex want to go back to x flex.

Thanks Zach

Zach,

I had the c-taper s+ after the TM trip. I switched because I was getting arm pain with the c-tapers. Went back to my dg s300 before trying the nippons. My pro had a set of the 120x's and I loved them. Put a set in my clubs and love the feel. If your not sure which ones get on the pay it forward link mark has and try a couple of different ones.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Thanks Zach

Zach,

I had the c-taper s+ after the TM trip. I switched because I was getting arm pain with the c-tapers. Went back to my dg s300 before trying the nippons. My pro had a set of the 120x's and I loved them. Put a set in my clubs and love the feel. If your not sure which ones get on the pay it forward link mark has and try a couple of different ones.

Thank you very much for the info.

I really appreciate it

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

For those of you playing the 120x in your irons, what shafts are you using in your wedges?

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Thanks Zach

Hmm, thats a tough one. 125X is probably my initial thought, but has more kick than ctaper. But should increase launch and still feel firm. 120X would perform similar to Ctaper IMO but feel much softer and lighter, may not increase launch as much as you want. Might want to go 120X hardstepped. 130S hardstepped would be more PX ish, but it would increase launch for sure. Overall i think the profile of the 130 and Ctaper are close and feel heavier and firmer, but the 130 has the soft tip which will feel completely different to you at impact. Not sure if that is a good or bad different, depends on golfer.

I'm not a CTaper fan and I'm not a huge fan of 120, so maybe you should try 120X first?? Unless you got hookups and could find some ORA's in X.

I think safest to try is 120X/125X.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Thanks Zach

Hmm, thats a tough one. 125X is probably my initial thought, but has more kick than ctaper. But should increase launch and still feel firm. 120X would perform similar to Ctaper IMO but feel much softer and lighter, may not increase launch as much as you want. Might want to go 120X hardstepped. 130S hardstepped would be more PX ish, but it would increase launch for sure. Overall i think the profile of the 130 and Ctaper are close and feel heavier and firmer, but the 130 has the soft tip which will feel completely different to you at impact. Not sure if that is a good or bad different, depends on golfer.

I'm not a CTaper fan and I'm not a huge fan of 120, so maybe you should try 120X first?? Unless you got hookups and could find some ORA's in X.

I think safest to try is 120X/125X.

Mark thank you for taking the time to reply to my question! I'll take your advice ?

Mark,

I used the 105X HS1 for most of the summer, but found I was ballooning them and losing shots to the left. I moved to the KBS Tour V 120x's, great shafts, but miss the feel of the Nippon's. Would you suggest the 125X's straight in or hard stepped. My 7 swing speed is around 96mph.

I'd say go 130. For 125 probably straight in. Don't think hard-stepping would hurt you though. It is more about feel at that point than numbers. I mean, super super minor tweaks with hardstepping steel shafts. And it depends on the golfer if it's more or less launch/spin.

I didn't even think about the 130's. I might have to get one to try out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Interested in hearing more thoughts/analysis from dg players to modus 120 (personal feedback)!

I didn't like the 120's.

I went from X100 to 120x and 130s. Had a shootout and the 130's won hands down for me.

Titleist TSr3 9º AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15º AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19º AD-DI 95x

T100 4-PW PX 6.0

SM10 50-12º F PX 6.0

SM10 56-12º D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12º D Modus 125 wedge

PING Ketsch

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean

Interested in hearing more thoughts/analysis from dg players to modus 120 (personal feedback)!

I didn't like the 120's.

I went from X100 to 120x and 130s. Had a shootout and the 130's won hands down for me.

Why did you go with the 130s instead of the 130x?

I'm trying to decide between the both the 130x, 130s and 125x hs1.

Whats the difference between these Nippon's and PX? Project X's are personally my favorite shaft ever hit.

Depends which Nippon. PX and Tour130 are somewhat similar. PX LZ and Tour125 are somewhat similar. Tour105 and PXi are kinda of similar.

Rifle shafts were essentially flag poles. Very strong at the base (grip for shaft) and when the wind blew the base didn't move much. As you got closer to the flag (Tip of shaft) it got weaker and skinnier. PX started to toy with shaft wall thickness and looked to beef up the tip section to counter/lower spin creation from the soft tip of a Rifle shaft. To counter the boardy harsh feel they thinned out the butt section and make it just a tad softer to make the shaft still feel similar to the original rifle. If they succeeded is subjective.

The tour130 has a very stiff butt and mid section with a softer tip. It is slightly counterbalanced similar to the PX shafts and original Rifle shafts. the 130 is designed to elevate the ball quickly with lower spin and softer feel. The incredibly stiff butt and midsection and soft tip are very unique. This is similar to KBS Tour V design also. In this shaft, the golfer will feel the very stiff rigidity of the butt/middle in their hands. However, the super soft tip section makes the shaft feel incredibly soft at impact. This makes it ideal for someone with an very aggressive transition at the downswing. The slight counterbalancing helps late releasers deliver the clubhead in a shorter period of time. And that soft tip helps "pickers" elevate the ball quickly while filtering out clunky thin felt shots. but it also helps "diggers" to feel less impact vibration when interacting with compacted turf. A downside noted is some folks think this soft tip feels a bit mushy at impact. it takes a few rounds to get used to. Also the shaft feels a bit heavy and stiff to flex.

The tour125 has a stiffer tip like PX but IMO more close to the KBS Tour and is very close to the PX LZ "loading zone" shaft. It has a stiff butt, softer middle and stiffer tip. This gives it a nice kick feel that is smoother than PX IMO but is also a stronger profile than KBS IMO and as thus tends to spin less than KBS Tour, launch lower and perform great in windy conditions. This shaft IMO provides the best overall pure feel. You don't lose too much feel as you would in a soft butt or soft tip shaft. The mid-kick provides a feeling of power during your release. The tip is stiff enough to provide excellent feedback on strike location on the face. Also has a familiar DG feel IMO on chips and 3/4 swings. Most feel the flex/weight are spot on. Some note weight can feel a touch heavy and some have said spin was higher than desired or distance was less than expected. I think this can be attributed to people who are releasing the shaft too early and the stored power is spent before impact. Just my thought. (The Tour105 is the same design just lighter. But as it is lighter expect slightly higher launch, slightly higher spin, and probably a mild pick up in swingspeed.)

The Tour120 is very DG-ish. The tour120 has a softer butt section similar to PX and DG, but IMO quite softer than both. The mid section IMO is stiffer feeling than both DG and PX and provides strength to the overall shaft design. Finally the tip is still very stiff to keep spin down. This profile tricks you in that the butt makes the shaft feel in your hands incredibly soft/smooth. However the disproportionately stiff middle and tip section make the shaft actually quite stable and low spinning. Some note this shaft feels too soft. Some say it launches high some say low, some say too much spin, some say balloons. It is a love hate shaft IMO and requires personal testing.

I'll ask, because I don't remember reading it in all the pages. What Modus shaft is most similar to a KBS C-Taper Lite (stiff)? I've had great success with the CTL and am wanting to dabble in the Modus line.

Thanks for any help.

Driver:  MIZUNO STZ-230 (11.5) - Ventus Blue Velocore 6s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Utility: T.B.D.

Iron:  MIZUNO PRO 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Proto 125 F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow (34.5)
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

Whats the difference between these Nippon's and PX? Project X's are personally my favorite shaft ever hit.

Depends which Nippon. PX and Tour130 are somewhat similar. PX LZ and Tour125 are somewhat similar. Tour105 and PXi are kinda of similar.

Rifle shafts were essentially flag poles. Very strong at the base (grip for shaft) and when the wind blew the base didn't move much. As you got closer to the flag (Tip of shaft) it got weaker and skinnier. PX started to toy with shaft wall thickness and looked to beef up the tip section to counter/lower spin creation from the soft tip of a Rifle shaft. To counter the boardy harsh feel they thinned out the butt section and make it just a tad softer to make the shaft still feel similar to the original rifle. If they succeeded is subjective.

The tour130 has a very stiff butt and mid section with a softer tip. It is slightly counterbalanced similar to the PX shafts and original Rifle shafts. the 130 is designed to elevate the ball quickly with lower spin and softer feel. The incredibly stiff butt and midsection and soft tip are very unique. This is similar to KBS Tour V design also. In this shaft, the golfer will feel the very stiff rigidity of the butt/middle in their hands. However, the super soft tip section makes the shaft feel incredibly soft at impact. This makes it ideal for someone with an very aggressive transition at the downswing. The slight counterbalancing helps late releasers deliver the clubhead in a shorter period of time. And that soft tip helps "pickers" elevate the ball quickly while filtering out clunky thin felt shots. but it also helps "diggers" to feel less impact vibration when interacting with compacted turf. A downside noted is some folks think this soft tip feels a bit mushy at impact. it takes a few rounds to get used to. Also the shaft feels a bit heavy and stiff to flex.

The tour125 has a stiffer tip like PX but IMO more close to the KBS Tour and is very close to the PX LZ "loading zone" shaft. It has a stiff butt, softer middle and stiffer tip. This gives it a nice kick feel that is smoother than PX IMO but is also a stronger profile than KBS IMO and as thus tends to spin less than KBS Tour, launch lower and perform great in windy conditions. This shaft IMO provides the best overall pure feel. You don't lose too much feel as you would in a soft butt or soft tip shaft. The mid-kick provides a feeling of power during your release. The tip is stiff enough to provide excellent feedback on strike location on the face. Also has a familiar DG feel IMO on chips and 3/4 swings. Most feel the flex/weight are spot on. Some note weight can feel a touch heavy and some have said spin was higher than desired or distance was less than expected. I think this can be attributed to people who are releasing the shaft too early and the stored power is spent before impact. Just my thought. (The Tour105 is the same design just lighter. But as it is lighter expect slightly higher launch, slightly higher spin, and probably a mild pick up in swingspeed.)

The Tour120 is very DG-ish. The tour120 has a softer butt section similar to PX and DG, but IMO quite softer than both. The mid section IMO is stiffer feeling than both DG and PX and provides strength to the overall shaft design. Finally the tip is still very stiff to keep spin down. This profile tricks you in that the butt makes the shaft feel in your hands incredibly soft/smooth. However the disproportionately stiff middle and tip section make the shaft actually quite stable and low spinning. Some note this shaft feels too soft. Some say it launches high some say low, some say too much spin, some say balloons. It is a love hate shaft IMO and requires personal testing.

Excellent write up! Actually got me thinking of giving the 125s one more go. You described the 120s perfectly, you either hate them or love them and you'll only know after testing them.

@therealping

I didn't like the 120's.

Didn't like the flight of the 120's in X and the 130X was too much shaft for me. The 130 in S got me the height and feel/weight I wanted.

I lose control with a lighter shaft, but want a higher ball flight, so I am limited for shaft choices

Titleist TSr3 9º AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15º AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19º AD-DI 95x

T100 4-PW PX 6.0

SM10 50-12º F PX 6.0

SM10 56-12º D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12º D Modus 125 wedge

PING Ketsch

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean

I didn't like the 120's.

Didn't like the flight of the 120's in X and the 130X was too much shaft for me. The 130 in S got me the height and feel/weight I wanted.

I lose control with a lighter shaft, but want a higher ball flight, so I am limited for shaft choices

Thanks. I am already a high ball hitter so I'm concerned about 130x based on reviews of it. I may need to try the 125x instead.

I didn't like the 120's.

Thanks. I am already a high ball hitter so I'm concerned about 130x based on reviews of it. I may need to try the 125x instead.

Buddy of mine went from X100 in 710's to 130X in 712's and is keeping 130X for 716's. He didn't find the 130x to be crazy stiff or launch high. I had him test my 125x and he didn't launch it any higher. Pretty much the same mid/high draw he hits with the 130. He is a "HITTER" for sure. Really swings at the ball and makes the ball his *itch every single strike. (Watched him hit 5i 250y uphill pin high.) But he didn't mind the 125X. Slightly more spin, tiny bit more rise over 130X but to be expected going from what i consider a beast in the 130 to a tamer 125. He hit a 125TX proto and they were identical to 130X for him so if you're a 130X guy i suggest 125X hardstepped at least once, maybe twice.

I'll ask, because I don't remember reading it in all the pages. What Modus shaft is most similar to a KBS C-Taper Lite (stiff)? I've had great success with the CTL and am wanting to dabble in the Modus line.

Thanks for any help.

I'm thinking 105, maybe X softstepped. keep the weight in the 1-teens. 120 has its own take on it but the softer butt is unique and 125 is KBS Tour ish, not cTaper. The LSL proto, should it ever come out will be very close to CTaper Lite with Nippon feel IMO.

Thanks for the info Mark! I'm tired of throwing money at shafts, so I'm a little gun shy. Like your friend distance has never been an issue for me, finding the right shaft has been. The ctaper x was my shaft till elbow issues took over and the search has been on since then.

I'm gonna order a 7 iron 130X and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Thanks for any help.

I'm thinking 105, maybe X softstepped. keep the weight in the 1-teens. 120 has its own take on it but the softer butt is unique and 125 is KBS Tour ish, not cTaper. The LSL proto, should it ever come out will be very close to CTaper Lite with Nippon feel IMO.

Thanks for the info Mark. I was in early on the trial thread you started and briefly tried the 120x. I liked it, but only tried it for 1 range session so didn't get to get the full effect. Demoed the 105s and it felt good, but I had the case of lefts with it (thinking it was a little too light for my swing). For me it seems like a shaft in the 110-120 range works best.

Driver:  MIZUNO STZ-230 (11.5) - Ventus Blue Velocore 6s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Utility: T.B.D.

Iron:  MIZUNO PRO 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Proto 125 F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow (34.5)
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

Hello!

So due to some unfortunate events I am in the process of rebuilding a bag from the ground up. I've been playing cTaper 120S and then recently HSX1 in a set of vapor pro irons. I really like the feel but I'm very intrigued by modus3's. I'm a high ball hitter with a early/mid release. Driver SS 115-118 and 92-94 with 6i. Had a fitting on Sunday just to confirm what I had been playing was a good fit. No Nippon shafts available (or maybe I didn't ask?) but either way the guy said c taper S+ or DG x100 are in my real of ideal. Which modus3 would fit this type of profile? Aggressive transition with tendency toward being a picker.

So I just joined the club! I bought a set of Miura CB57 heads and had 120X shafts installed in them. I took them to the range for the first time yesterday (off mats) and they are flying about a full club shorter than my MP5/C-Taper 130X set. I'm getting pretty good ball flight, but the lie seems to be a little off because I'm seeing most of the marks from the plastic mats out on the toe. Any thoughts? Thanks

Hello!

So due to some unfortunate events I am in the process of rebuilding a bag from the ground up. I've been playing cTaper 120S and then recently HSX1 in a set of vapor pro irons. I really like the feel but I'm very intrigued by modus3's. I'm a high ball hitter with a early/mid release. Driver SS 115-118 and 92-94 with 6i. Had a fitting on Sunday just to confirm what I had been playing was a good fit. No Nippon shafts available (or maybe I didn't ask?) but either way the guy said c taper S+ or DG x100 are in my real of ideal. Which modus3 would fit this type of profile? Aggressive transition with tendency toward being a picker.

Mid release and high ball hitter tells me 120x would be good.

TSr3  10* Tour AD VR 7x

TSr2+ 14.5* Tour AD TP 8x

TSr2 18* Tour AD TP 8x

u500 4, t100 5-PW, GW Dynamic Gold x100

SM8 54s, 60d Dynamic Gold s400

Scotty Classic Newport 

Help me out here.

I fitted today and modus 125s and KBS tour v 110s were best for me. modus was bit harder to hit, probably due to its weight, but dispersion was much better than kbs.

Thing is, I thought modus 120 and 125 weights were similar. I hate S300 because it's too heavy. My preference is 105-110g and I currently game modus 105s and 120s on 2nd set. I tried 1150GH (116g) and even it felt heavy.

But after fitting, I see 125 is heaviest of all. same as DG S300. !?!

I'm a mid-handicapper with bit of over the top swing. Does it make sense that I was hitting well two well-different spec shafts, while one of them has same weight as one that doesn't work for me??