2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM

Some more testing yesterday and the cream is rising to the top. The M1-430 and Sub Zero seem to both have that extra gear that I like while the Flex and G LS are falling behind. Probably get out another time to practice this week and play on Sunday morning so my decision should be pretty easy by that point. Shaft wise i'm not sure yet as Im' waiting for a TM adaptor so i can pop the Tensei white in the 430.

I will have an M1 430 head here at some point, as it did give me the best #'s at my fitting. I really would like to get one out on the course.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Just because you're a Cally guy, if you haven't hit the original 3Deep, you are missing out.

It hangs with the new gear, even if it isn't a pretty or sexy.

I had one, actually got it in the OG Callawrx trip straight from the ECPC haha. Love it and agree it hangs with anything. Problem for me is I'm not consistent with it off the deck and the course I play now I need that.

M2 with TW 80TX.. it's a wrap. If you say something else beats it, I know you're lying! :busted_cop:

The 816 Alpha is every bit as good....

I'll be the judge of that :D

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I picked up my second Sub Zero off the BST a couple days ago to give it another run. It's easily the 2nd longest driver I've ever hit but my dispersion was everywhere. maybe it'll be better this time around.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I picked up my second Sub Zero off the BST a couple days ago to give it another run. It's easily the 2nd longest driver I've ever hit but my dispersion was everywhere. maybe it'll be better this time around.

Sub zero is a great stick but it can be challenging to hit on your off days. Callaway was very clear that this was aimed at the best ball strikers and not a mass release. Personally I think it's the best driver in its class (sub 460 heads) but after a few off days I realized i'm just hurting myself by using something that's not more forgiving. The 430m1 is the same thing.

Edel PROTO

Sub zero is a great stick but it can be challenging to hit on your off days. Callaway was very clear that this was aimed at the best ball strikers and not a mass release. Personally I think it's the best driver in its class (sub 460 heads) but after a few off days myself I'm just hurting myself by using something that's not more forgiving. The 430m1 is the same thing.

Thats how I feel about the 440 flex, if your alittle off, bad night sleep, drank one beer to many you dont want that driver. But if your firing right it can take you to places where there are no divots

Sub zero is a great stick but it can be challenging to hit on your off days. Callaway was very clear that this was aimed at the best ball strikers and not a mass release. Personally I think it's the best driver in its class (sub 460 heads) but after a few off days myself I'm just hurting myself by using something that's not more forgiving. The 430m1 is the same thing.

Thats how I feel about the 440 flex, if your alittle off, bad night sleep, drank one beer to many you dont want that driver. But if your firing right it can take you to places where there are no divots

Pretty much spot on. When your on your on and when your off you are WAY the Fuc$ off. :D

Edel PROTO

Sub zero is a great stick but it can be challenging to hit on your off days. Callaway was very clear that this was aimed at the best ball strikers and not a mass release. Personally I think it's the best driver in its class (sub 460 heads) but after a few off days I realized i'm just hurting myself by using something that's not more forgiving. The 430m1 is the same thing.

Found the same to be true and that's why I gravitated to the XR16 Pro instead. Not quite the maximum performance potential that SZ has on good strikes, but much easier to live with from round to round.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

There isnt one driver that is the best, there all maxed out, in fact fairway woods are almost at the max level. Just look at the Pga distance and total driving leaders you will see Ping, TM, Cally, Titleist, nike etc. it just proves right head right shaft it doesnt matter what name is on it. for me i look for something I can control. distance wise there are all in the same ball park, controlling dispersion is a shafts main purpose for me. I can square a driver with the right shaft. There are exceptions like the flex 440 that leaves little room for error.

Interested to hear your feedback on this latest round of driver testing, particularly the M2. I really enjoy the on-course feedback. I went from the G30LS to the King LTD, and now I'm bringing an M2 into the mix. Just have to get it shafted up and take it to the course.

On course is the only way IMO. Hitting ball after ball on a LM can be very helpful but NOTHING is like getting the club on a course where the time between drives is 15 minutes vs firing away on a range.

There isnt one driver that is the best, there all maxed out, in fact fairway woods are almost at the max level. Just look at the Pga distance and total driving leaders you will see Ping, TM, Cally, Titleist, nike etc. it just proves right head right shaft it doesnt matter what name is on it. for me i look for something I can control. distance wise there are all in the same ball park, controlling dispersion is a shafts main purpose for me. I can square a driver with the right shaft. There are exceptions like the flex 440 that leaves little room for error.

Obviously COR/CT is maxed but by effecting COG, weight, ect.. you can help people maximize their own potential and create much better launch conditions. Fwy woods seem to be more of a crap shoot. For example a 15* 3 wood from Callaway vs Ping will be VERY different in distance. Ive seen as much on course and on trackman.

Edel PROTO

I'll agree that the sub-460cc drivers are usually more demanding. But I've found that it forces me to keep a grooved swing and not "get sloppy" with my swing. Yes, the 460cc will bail you out when you are having an off day, but I feel it hurts when you are trying to be more precise due to a lack of feedback compared to the smaller head.

It's the same logic that blades are the ultimate game improvement club. But since you aren't 100% committed, you go with forged cavity backs. A smart compromise.

I'd really like to see the OEMs go to something closer to 400cc, with a shallower head front to back on their "better player's driver." That will move the CG forward (ala Sub Zero, M1, SLDR) and continue the use of composites and weighting to keep the MOI reasonable. Make it workable if you want, but still long on center strikes.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Interested to hear your feedback on this latest round of driver testing, particularly the M2. I really enjoy the on-course feedback. I went from the G30LS to the King LTD, and now I'm bringing an M2 into the mix. Just have to get it shafted up and take it to the course.

On course is the only way IMO. Hitting ball after ball on a LM can be very helpful but NOTHING is like getting the club on a course where the time between drives is 15 minutes vs firing away on a range.

Obviously COR/CT is maxed but by effecting COG, weight, ect.. you can help people maximize their own potential and create much better launch conditions. Fwy woods seem to be more of a crap shoot. For example a 15* 3 wood from Callaway vs Ping will be VERY different in distance. Ive seen as much on course and on trackman.

agree fairway woods are different , but I would think the COR would be close with all of them. when I played amateur competitive golf in the metro area I used mostly the same equipment for years, 990's irons, 975d driver, had a cameron from a pga players bag that i sold off should have kept it. played to a +3 then. when i have equipment changes over and over hurts my game, seems i am always testing and not practicing

I'll agree that the sub-460cc drivers are usually more demanding. But I've found that it forces me to keep a grooved swing and not "get sloppy" with my swing. Yes, the 460cc will bail you out when you are having an off day, but I feel it hurts when you are trying to be more precise due to a lack of feedback compared to the smaller head.

It's the same logic that blades are the ultimate game improvement club. But since you aren't 100% committed, you go with forged cavity backs. A smart compromise.

I'd really like to see the OEMs go to something closer to 400cc, with a shallower head front to back on their "better player's driver." That will move the CG forward (ala Sub Zero, M1, SLDR) and continue the use of composites and weighting to keep the MOI reasonable. Make it workable if you want, but still long on center strikes.

I dont think golf is geared towards better player drivers, it is rip and chip golf. hit it as far as you can where ever it goes find it and hit a wedge on. on that note wasnt the TW nike 420cc, they are cheap now mixed reviews on them

I personally struggle with any max forgiveness driver. I start swinging hard knowing my miss can't be that bad. The best driver I ever hit was an Adams 9032LD 7.5 cut to 44.75" with a ton of lead tape. The sweet spot was basically a dime but I had a groove unlike any other with that club. The Sub Zero was just a hair shorter than that driver but I had some phantom blocks with it that I couldn't figure out. I'm hoping this one will be a real keeper.

Usually a more compact head leads me to better mechanics. I need to be exacting to hit it solid. Once I do that I hit it farther because I'm more efficient

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Used to love the J33 for that. Whether it had the Whiteboard or the GD VJS110PLUS, it forced a good swing and rewarded you when you buttoned it.

J715 B5 is much more forgiving, but not quite as low spin as the J33 was. J33 could probably hang with anything today...

I agre with everything you said. Problem for me is I have young kids so my ability to play is sporadic. I'll go through spurts where I play/practice a lot if I have a tournament but then don't touch a club for a week or two. When I'm playing I love the Sub Zero but after a break it's a real $hittt show. The trouble for me (and lots of people) is finding a forgiving enough driver that maintains the lower spin I need.

Edel PROTO

I dont think golf is geared towards better player drivers, it is rip and chip golf. hit it as far as you can where ever it goes find it and hit a wedge on. on that note wasnt the TW nike 420cc, they are cheap now mixed reviews on them

Golf especially in the states is an air game and that's what I want to maximize. Better player drivers are typically geared toward those with higher swing speeds which generate excess spin. Downside is to decrease spin you need to go down in loft and or push weight to the face which lowers MOI.

Edel PROTO

This putter headcover would be a great way to commemorate Charlie. May he RIP.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

If your club has logo'd playing cards, please send me a pack minus the queen of spades. Give the black Mariah to Charlie as his "death card."

I have always struggled with high spin on drivers, and hate the look of most of the 460 heads. I'm stubborn and cheap, so i just can't justify $400 plus on a driver. I still have a Callaway DET 3 wood that refuses to get knocked out. So I took a flier on a used 2015 XR pro for cheap. It is really nice, compact, matte black no alignment. Big plus is you can swap out the weight for something heavier if you want to go shorter. Sound isn't ideal but gonna put some cotton through the weight port to test it out. Surprisingly, very forgiving too. Might be worth a shot through cally preowned sale.

I have always struggled with high spin on drivers, and hate the look of most of the 460 heads. I'm stubborn and cheap, so i just can't justify $400 plus on a driver. I still have a Callaway DET 3 wood that refuses to get knocked out. So I took a flier on a used 2015 XR pro for cheap. It is really nice, compact, matte black no alignment. Big plus is you can swap out the weight for something heavier if you want to go shorter. Sound isn't ideal but gonna put some cotton through the weight port to test it out. Surprisingly, very forgiving too. Might be worth a shot through cally preowned sale.

DET 3 wood is a great 3 wood, the hybrids are great also

If your club has logo'd playing cards, please send me a pack minus the queen of spades. Give the black Mariah to Charlie as his "death card."

Haha Charlie is in Mole heaven digging up greens until his hearts content.

Edel PROTO

So ---- what's tour current driver set up? If you had a $ match - what's going in the bag?

Also - what irons are on your radar? And don't say nothing ;)

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

So ---- what's tour current driver set up? If you had a $ match - what's going in the bag?

Had a $ game yesterday and was happy with what I played :D One more round tomorrow then that's it. Decision will be made.

Irons wise - Not looking at anything nor have I since the 745's went in the bag. In fact they've been in the bag a year now and not planning on changing.

Edel PROTO

Had a $ game yesterday and was happy with what I played :D One more round tomorrow then that's it. Decision will be made.

Irons wise - Not looking at anything nor have I since the 745's went in the bag. In fact they've been in the bag a year now and not planning on changing.

Worst. Answer. Ever.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Worst. Answer. Ever.

I know but I cant hop around anymore with irons. Takes too long to dial them in.

Edel PROTO

Pic's of the PT prototype ?

Here ya go, btw she hasn't been performing lately and could end up back in the corner of the basement.

Edel PROTO

Been toying with the idea of trying some Srixon irons :)

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Pic's of the PT prototype ?

Here ya go, btw she hasn't been performing lately and could end up back in the corner of the basement.

That #7 is calling your name from the corner....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• J13 changed the title to J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM