Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Has anybody made the switch from DG S300 to KBS C-Taper Lite 110?

Not exactly the same, but I had a brief stint with a set of Ping S55s with CTL110 after years of playing X100s. I got them in the middle of winter, and hit them a few times on the range before taking them down to Florida for a golf trip (something like 5 rounds over 4 days), and before long playing in the winds down there, I discovered I'd made a big mistake. They just spun way too much. I realized later that despite the C Taper name, which is synonymous with low launch/low spin, the Lite version is a much different profile--significantly higher launch and spin. The good thing was that those irons are what I had when I went to Scratch and found out that there was no reason to fear blades. I ended up in Modus 120x in my irons (S400 in wedges), but C Taper X and X100 TI were in contention.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

All my golfing life dating back to late 70's I played forged blades. In 80's I loved the Golden Ram Tour Grind. Have set in my garage 1-SW. These used to cut turf like a butter knife and had a very very thin topline. I contribute these for my ball striking and single digit handicap. Now I am on MP 32 5-PW which feel absolutely great. had a short stint with eye 2's (great clubs) but not for me. I did not like KBS c-taper in 32's. Reshafting with the heavier shaft DGS300. The MP 5 look awesome and may be my next blade.

I had to quote this just for the mention of Ram Tour Grinds. Awesomeness!

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

so i've only hit the VR Pro blades, and a demo MP5 ever.

i'm not so sure i don't like the VR Pro feel better than the mizzy. it's solid, like you just b**** slapped the ball. whereas the mizzy makes almost no sound at all.

who did the VR forging? who does the Titleist and the mizzy?

edit: i hate that there's an auto correct for t1tty into titleist

titleist after the 681 and all VR are endo forged i am 99% sure..... which is who makes alot if the oem heads...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

so i've only hit the VR Pro blades, and a demo MP5 ever.

i'm not so sure i don't like the VR Pro feel better than the mizzy. it's solid, like you just b**** slapped the ball. whereas the mizzy makes almost no sound at all.

who did the VR forging? who does the Titleist and the mizzy?

edit: i hate that there's an auto correct for t1tty into titleist

Just to add on to your reflections of the VR Pro feel....... :wacko: .......My instructor, whom formerly was a Nike sponsored player (and very well known on the IWeb) played off of Titleist blades, then into Nike VR Pro, then Vapor Pros. So, in a recent clinic I had with him this month, I asked what was the feel difference between those Nikes?

He said basically: "VR Pros forged in Japan, Vapor Pros in China - need I say more?" ;)

Not to knock China, as most of our clubs in the woods are made there, but the above comparison hit home when I noticed; like Rory, he to went back into his older VR Pros after a short stint into Vapor Pros, the VR Pros so much better.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

I just put into play the Srixon 945's and I swear they seem 'softer' than the Mizuno's I've been playing or maybe it's buyer's desire. Is there really a difference in these forgings? 1020 steel vs 1025 or whatever, does it really make a difference?

There are too many other variables, the obvious one being clubhead design, to really be able to tell. Until someone does double blind testing, I don't think there will be anything definitive. Certainly not from my perspective. :)

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I played Mizzy. Cally. Titleist. Keep running down the list. And now Srixon. I thought there wasn't going to be a softer blade than my MP4s. Well....I think I was wrong. Haven't gotten time on the course with the Srixon Z965s yet, but they are SOFT. To be fair, NRJyzr is likely correct on a logical standpoint....real double blind to definitively answer the question(s). But let's not let logic get too far in the way....and call Mizzy and Srixon the softest out there. ;-)

BH,

I have longed for another too forget to make a silly small blade. Epon doesn't really make "players" clubs, but them or kyoei or anyone making another little guy would be awesome.

I may or may not grab a set of zestiam PCBs when the time comes. They are the jdm version of vega, vega is the export, and they have some interesting things.

mallrat of that list and if possible I would try the Cobra King MB, Epon Personal IIs, Miura BB, Miura TB, new Hogan Ft. Worths and KZG ZO blades.

I am also with you about the mp5s and 716 MBs. I would take the mp4s or 714 MBs over either.

Disagree bigtime on the 714 over the 716....

I get the mp 4 love, but dont not try the 5, its a great club (see signature).

mallrat of that list and if possible I would try the Cobra King MB, Epon Personal IIs, Miura BB, Miura TB, new Hogan Ft. Worths and KZG ZO blades.

I am also with you about the mp5s and 716 MBs. I would take the mp4s or 714 MBs over either.

For the record, all blades are Playboy centerfold models to me. I'm just nitpicky about which ones have the best bodies. I'd play the mp5s and 716 MBs over CBs no problem and have zero issue with it.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Thought someone might be interested in some comparison pics of the mp 5 and the mp 33...both are 7 irons...mp 33 is the more worn one in each pic

I think the side view of the toe gives a more accurate difference of the top lines...views from the top can often be misleading.

S56 has a very narrow sole. I did a comp pic a little while back between about 7 clubs and found, aside from the cobra pro mb and 588mb, it was at least as thin if not moreso than most players irons. I still regard it is one of the best performing non blades ive gamed extensively(only the mp 59 had an equal sole of non mbs, actually thinner.)

Overall, the mp 5 is surprisingly close to the 33, top line aside..

The side view of toe muscle is the story.....You can see a quite difference in approach to move weight lower in MP-5 vs. older 33 which is more spread up.

MP-33 always reminds me of classic Titleist 680 style mb from a similar era.

Titleist-680-Forged-300x195.jpg

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

The fives are just so huge compared to the fours. I got on the four wagon first and that was that. The five feels heavier and I am not able to get past that. The 716 appeals to me for some reason. I was not a fan of the fact that a used set was going for over $700 at a golfsmith and it looked pretty beat up. But there's a reason they went out of business...got bought out...whatever. The 16's are not as sweet as the Mp-4's, but I still cherish my demo 7 iron.

Hey guys! Long time no post. Took a little break. Last couple months have been rough. Moved to Cheyenne, and the weather has not been great. Haven't played since mid October. Was playing pretty well at that time. Lots of rounds in low 70s. Going to Tucson on Thursday for four days of golf over Christmas. So excited I can barely stand it.

Winter is time to study up and tweak. I have two sets of irons that are almost identical: Cobra Fly-Z Pro MBs and Cobra Amp Cell Pro MBs. The designs of these two models are essentially the same, other than a tungsten insert in the toe of the Fly-Z pro. I played with the ACPs this year and had a great year. I'm going to keep those the same, but experiment by making the Fly-Z Pros 1/4" longer and 1 degree flatter than the ACPs, and compare the two. Yeah, it's getting real tailored at this point. I am going to dial it in to the exact inch and degree. Also experimenting with all wedges same lie angle, not getting too upright.

I've been tracking all my specs and changes over the last couple years in a Google Drive Spreadsheet, making a new page in the same spreadsheet each time I make a change. Here is what I am taking with me to Tucson and planning on playing for the year. I've abandoned all reliance on standard LLL: numbers on irons are arbitrary, you need to know the exact measurements.

Would appreciate any feedback you guys have on the specs. I know they are not an exact and precise progression (especially in the weights), but it's pretty close.

Good to be back!

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Welcome back, BC!

My first thought in seeing those specs is weaken the 6 iron a degree to even the gaps from 5 thru 7 irons. :)

Any reason you have the 3° gaps between the 3/4/5 irons, or is it just because that's how they came from the factory? I'm a fan of keeping a 4° progression in the long irons, as well as the mid and short irons. I'm thinking you could tweak those to do that (19/23/27), maybe using a 2 iron in those sets if you're not fond of bending the 3iron 2° strong.

Have you ever thought about going 52/57/62 in the wedges, to keep the 5° gaps? Just a thought. <shrug>

(oh, and replace those evil empire Vokeys with something better, of course, lol)

Thanks NRJ! I haven't thought much about gapping in long irons, although when I do think about it, it seems to make more sense to have the smaller gaps in your scoring clubs. I guess I've been blindly following manufacturers, which I think if anything we've shown is a bad idea. I will do some extra considering there, maybe play with the lofts on my ACPs.

62 degrees just seems like too high a loft to be a useful club. I have read ad nauseum about wedge gapping and I'm just so familiar with 52-56-60 I will probably never change. It's just so comforting.

Don't necessarily disagree with you on the Vokeys. I think wedge make and model will be an area where I experiment with some flair from the boutique shops, as I have zero desire for new anything else (except maybe an Edel torque balanced putter). I could see switching back and forth between the Fly-z pros and ACPs until the day I die. (Unless, of course, some day I heed the siren call of the BBs)

Who's got the list of top 5 best wedges?

Okay, enough ramblings for now.

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

So I have received word that the course will be open in La Porte, TX on New Year's Eve. This will be huge to be able to get off the ship and swing the clubs a little bit. I had encouraged one shipmate to join me in the madness, but as always the needs of the service dictate the amount of fun we may have and what precedence our golf takes in life. I am going stir crazy staring at my bag. I chipped a few balls around the room today which I am sure thrilled my neighbors. Sound travels on a ship.

Bobby Clampett I am envious of your 200 series Vokeys. They are amazing. I borrowed one for a day and it was like pulling teeth to give it back.

They actually are pretty sweet. They also have a cool paintfill, pink and purple. I'll try to post some pictures.

Still, would like to see what else is out there for wedges. I know people here have mentioned some great ones that fit our collective ethos and aesthetics...

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Drove a 100 miles out to Palm Springs to come golf. Golfed yesterday at Indian Canyons and golfed today at Escena Golf Club.

Shot 87 and 91. Escena tips play 7700 something long. Probably the longest most unforgiving course I've played in awhile. My driving is terrible and my woods play was terrible.

Good to see you back Clampett. My sister and brother in law teach in Cheyenne. Tanya and Ty Severson. Can't remember which school they teach at.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Drove a 100 miles out to Palm Springs to come golf. Golfed yesterday at Indian Canyons and golfed today at Escena Golf Club.

Shot 87 and 91. Escena tips play 7700 something long. Probably the longest most unforgiving course I've played in awhile. My driving is terrible and my woods play was terrible.

Good to see you back Clampett. My sister and brother in law teach in Cheyenne. Tanya and Ty Severson. Can't remember which school they teach at.

Beautiful location!!!

BC, I can't offer too much on wedges. I've hit a few chips with one of last year's Cobras, a 58 widelow grind, and found it to be awesome. Aside from that, I tend to use my various old Ram wedges, and get good performance from them.

I've also used Scratch 8620 wedges, but not much point in talking about them, with them not around anymore. ;)

The Wilson Staff wedges get good buzz. I think they're worth a look; the 58 Dynapower (IIRC) is considered by many to be the ancestor of modern wedges.

Speaking of that, many also consider the Cleveland 588 to be a direct descendant of the Dynapower.

My random thoughts on wedges....

I liked the Mizuno T-11 wedges, but my favourite has to be the Callaway MD2 wedges, and of those I would probably put the T-grind at the top. NOt sure what it is, maybe the straighter leading edge, but they are great for getting check on the ball. I also like Fourteen's wedges. I love my RM-11 60* and the RM-12 58* is pretty nice as well, especially for around the green and bunkers.

In fact, my wedges, let me show them to you:

Apart from the ones on plastic, these are all wedges I have played at some point this year. Ah, except the 52* and 58* T-grinds, because I only bought those last week (edit). The 64* Cally X-Jaws at the end is the one that probably sees the least amount of course time. It's my "have a laugh" club.

Well King cat, I see why it was such a challenge. Looks like you'd need to hook the hell out of the ball to have a chance at keeping it on the the fairway. Gravity is definitely working against you on that course...HAHAHA!

:cheesy: I read your comment before I saw the picture. Took me a moment to get it when I saw the photo, then I nearly spat my coffee out.

Catchy, good point about the Callaway wedges.

Makes sense, with Roger Cleveland having moved there. ;)