Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

The older lofts are only humbling if you think about your iron distance in terms of club numbers. Loft still rules distance, in spite of all the claims otherwise, a 30* club will generally hit as far as a 30* club, high COR aside. Since this is the blade thread, not much high COR action, I think we can dispense with that aspect. LOL

Getting on with the question at hand.... I liked my set of FG-17s. Were it not for the club acquisition disease that I have, I would still have them. They're compact, have a pretty sweet feel, playing them makes you understand why Wilson Staff irons were at the top for so long. They were one of the first to try moving the CG a bit away from the hosel, with those upward sweeping musclebacks and fluid feel cutouts in the heel. Still a viable and usable club in the modern world. More than that, but I'm trying to avoid hyperbole.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I always found it helpful to maintain healthy respect for the context in which a club was made. 80's vintage sticks were built in mind with getting around with a balata 3 piece wound ball. They valued spin control more for a ball that did not go straight. The "GI" was often in the sheer mass of build. Grips were often leather or corded, (60-70 gram range), shafts were rather stout. It's not just loft, it's the context of design they worked with. When ball tech moved so did the parameters of build specs. The FG 59 probably possesses some of that evolution over the FG 17. Just like the MP4 does to MS-11 So when I say 'appreciate them for what they are' that's what I mean.  Even though I eschew most pre-'90's MB's, my favorite sticks have an updated old school flavor to them. The 681, the Mac-Cobra's and the Maruman SX, (essentially a Dunlop Aussie blade) all mimic earlier designs with refinements of sole, loft and flex that the direction of ball tech at that time allowed.

Speaking of refined mid-old-school, I just picked up another set of NOS Rifle's in 7.5 flex. Have these in the Titleist's, love 'em. They mesh well with a swing happily rotating in the DG S300/S400 orbit.

• Like 1

That's the somewhat annoying fact in modern world of golf equipment. It's cheaper to buy a set to replace than to do a simple reshaft

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Right!! I've done plenty of both. On the reshafts, essentially you keep your used clubs and get new grips/shafts/ferrules/labor......not all that cheap. New set of used clubs....likely in same condition for similar costs.

My last two reshafts were to get some graphite relief for front elbow tendonitis a few years back. Put Recoils into my Mizuno MP-32, then the MP-69. As both are sold, I decided to just buy new again with Recoils already in them.

So, I await the TM P760. Still can keep the Razr MBs and Honma TW727 M as long as they don't see much range time anymore. Those are steel shafts in PX 5.0F & Nippon Modus 125R.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

Yesterday I finally hit some balls at a dome near me. First time since early November, I believe. Took my 1980 Golden Rams to the dome. They don't allow full bags inside, so I brought 3i, 6i, 9i, and a 58*. Was fairly interesting. First half dozen shots, I hit 5 clanks. Well moron, what do you expect after four months off? LOL

After a bit, it was like getting back to normal. That being, swinging Ram Tour Grinds, and Ram wedges (58* is a Ram 1982 Commemorative). It did allow me to revisit why I don't like hitting in a dome, bloody things are too short. My 9i hits the ceiling about halfway to the back wall, 6 iron hits ceiling closer to back wall, 3 iron hits the top of the back wall. Such is my life.

I also brought a Zing Blonde driver. That was fairly entertaining. Hit it pretty well, for the most part. Even the chilled range balls felt ok with the laminate.

Got partial wedge practice, also. They have some targets in the middle of the floor, I spent a fair part of my time taking shots with the 58* at said targets. Without success, of course. LOL

I just took delivery on a set of Tour Issue 2018 Apex MB heads. I feel like I overthink (doubt) this blade thing and dove in head first. I have played some really good golf with a set of Nike VR Pro Combo's from 2011 so they can't possibly that much different. I will check back in after throwing in some Project X 6.5's and hitting the range mid week.

• Like 1

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Its exponentially cheaper to buy a used set, pull the shafts for a re shaft, then sell the heads. I've done it 4 times now just off of Ksouth9 on eBay. I'm expecting to be on msfix13's christmas card list this year based on how many ferrules I've had to buy in all these shaft changes.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Apex MB are fantastic. So soft, lower spin (which is nice given I hit in the ball high), and near perfect aesthetic.

Nice trade. Modus is a great shaft. Likes a smooth swing. If you try to over power them it does not go well. Smooth swing = good result generally.

I just got done dry swing weighting my Apex MB’s and they are coming in a bit heavy. Do any of you guys know anyone that can remove 4g or so from the hosel of a few heads? Not looking for the Schwartzel hack job.

Thanks! These things are beautiful.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

So it's been the warmest Winter in memory in my parts and it's allowed me to go out and swing a bunch. A Winter that never was. A Spring that will not be. No Final Four, no Masters, no Opening Day. 2 months ahead of schedule for a season that goes off in strangest of way, if at all.

Swing feels good, went off course with things and ended up with tendonitis in left shoulder. Selfie revealed issue, Dr. Deb fixed shoulder. Have found solid adjustments that even bleed down to dreaded big dog. 681's hold serve and continually reward my faith in them. Planning on a lot of play, lot of home renovation work and club builds till things settle down. Cheers.

• Like 1

Played at a local private club as a guest this week. First time out or hitting balls for two months. 89. Ragged inconsistent 89. My MP 29’s still perform. Going to put some lighter weight graphite in them. Currently with Matrix Ozik program 130’s. Just too heavy for me. Built up two six iron heads (29’s) with Paderson kinetixx. Liked the 75 gram regular the best. Tried a stiff in the other head. It was ok but had better flight and club more distance with the reg 75 gram shaft. Going to try some 60 gram shafts also. Just cant part with my beloved MP 29 heads though. Tried my miura tourney blades. Well wanted to like them.... just didn't. Different feels altogether that I couldnt get along with. Will prob sell them. Had IMRT Kevlar weave Padersons in them I had on hand. I will say the Kevlar weave ( the green ones) to me played very stiff to flex.... these were regular as well. Amazing how one shaft plays compared to another. I tend to fit myself as there a few fitters I trust in the area.

I have a spare set of Ben Hogan Apex blades (1999 model) that has TT DGS300 shafts in them. My primary set is the same model with Modus3 Tour 120s shafts which are outstanding. I just purchased a used set of Modus3 Tour 105s shafts and will try them on my spare set and compare.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Outstanding news, Brother Nard. Speaking to the personal golf related portion of your post, of course.

Just picked up some 945 at a local clearance sale. Got them on course yesterday. Things are PURE. Going to decide whether I put my spare set of TI X100 in them or combo the short irons in with my 745. They seem very forgiving so I might just hold on to both sets. SO good.

I found these irons on eBay and they caught my eye for a few reasons. First, they are made by a company called Pedersen Golf which had been making clubs in Connecticut since the early 1900’s. They are no longer in business but at one time they were the leaders in custom fit golf equipment and were quite an expensive and high end clubs. These clubs were ordered by a gentleman in the mid 1990’s and in the time they took to arrive he had decided to move into a more game improvement club so these were never even hit.

So, cool looking set of blades with a wider sole in mint, unused condition? Sounds great. The clincher for me was that they were built with Precision Rifle 5.0 shafts which I had in my MX-23’s years ago and loved, so that made it a done deal.

While they are stainless I wasn’t sure if they were forged or not, as they didn’t have the same feel as my older forged stainless irons but the ease which the bent in the loft/lie machine confirmed they are indeed forged. What’s really cool is the set of irons came with a set of Pedersen persimmon woods. The woods I assume would be from the late 70’s early 80’s as they had been previously played and were refinished and reshafted with the same Rifle 5.0 shafts.

As for playability, these are some of the easiest playing blades I’ve ever played. The wide sole and low COG makes these fly high and long. They look super classy too. Last picture is a comparison of the soles next to my early 80’s Palmer Deacons and Mid 50’s Macgregor Tommy Armours.

M5P6ES40BXAA.jpeg

IMNHIQ01GGIZ.jpeg

QSKA4XE9Q84U.jpeg

3W7UBF82UFKN.jpeg

43O5TZXHNB1E.jpeg

• Like 2

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. The listing made no mention of them being forged or cast and when I received them though they were cast. Toe strikes hardly feel different than center strikes and distances are hardly penalized. Not the normal result with a forged blade.

Distances are also longer than I am used to. I’m not your typical WRXer so when I hit a few 5-irons 190 yards I was shocked. The ball was flying further than I expected. I had the pro at my club adjust the pw and I warned him that I thought they were cast but they moved so easy he said they were forged. So maybe they are a hollow blade, 20 years before “Players Distance” irons became popular.

I used to practice with a Mizuno 6i blade, can't remember the model number though. I was working on my swing quite a bit at the time and wanted the extra feedback that you get from a blade on mishits. Nothing like feeling it in my hands when I really boned a shot. Of course the exhilaration of a well struck ball made up for it.

My swing improved, as did my game, and I picked up a set of MacGregor Pro-Ms off Ebay back in 2012. They were a dream set of clubs for me. I had the lie angles bent to match my MacGregor M565s. I played them for a few months and didn't notice a real difference in my overall game aka scores. I went back to my M565s for a bit before quitting the game in 2013. I just started playing again and decided to game the Pro-Ms in fairly short order. I may be losing distance with the Pro-Ms but I don't care. It's an ego thing, lol,.