Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t758725055

Anyone ever player Accuform irons? I remember a member at my old club when I was a junior who had a set. I was reading that Davis Love III spoke highly of them... Anyway. That's a nice set there with Apollo shafts... It's not my listing, just enabling...

2 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t758725055

Anyone ever player Accuform irons? I remember a member at my old club when I was a junior who had a set. I was reading that Davis Love III spoke highly of them... Anyway. That's a nice set there with Apollo shafts... It's not my listing, just enabling...

I have Apollo on my old King Cobra metals. Think they're really nice.

Was pleasantly surprised yesterday, as I arrived home from yesterday's round of golf, I had three boxes waiting by the front door.  My RIP Tour test shafts, my Golden Ram 4i and 8i test clubs, and my two Golden Ram 1 irons all waiting for me.  

Lovely  😊

Pulled the shafts from the 4i/8i last night, assembled them with RIP Tours, and were ready for today's round.  Might have a couple extra clubs in the bag today, LOL.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 10/10/2020 at 3:57 PM, mahonie said:

If you trace the history of Apollo shafts back, you find that the original company, Accles & Pollock (based in Oldbury which is about 5 miles from where I grew up), invented the steel shaft back in 1913. It was banned in the UK by the R&A but was very popular in the US and the UK ban was eventually lifted in 1929.

Most clubs I played as kid in the 1980s, which were a rag tag collection of blades from the bargain barrels of the local courses, had Apollo shafts.

Apollo were the first company to produce and market graphite shafts, alongside the steel offerings. Although True Temper eventually bought the assets of Apollo, they missed a trick and I think Hireko Golf bought the intellectual property rights and continue to make some of the old shafts as well as new.

Didn't know you were a Black Country Boy, Mahonie. Now, whenever I read your posts, I've going to have Slade songs playing in the back of my head🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Didn't know you were a Black Country Boy, Mahonie. Now, whenever I read your posts, I've going to have Slade songs playing in the back of my head🤣

Black Country born and bred!! Yo doe quite get the accent in the written word 😂

As great as Noddy is, it may help to think more Led Zeppelin...Robert Plant is even more local 👍

• Like 2

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

5 hours ago, mahonie said:

Black Country born and bred!! Yo doe quite get the accent in the written word 😂

As great as Noddy is, it may help to think more Led Zeppelin...Robert Plant is even more local 👍

OMG, only the greatest of bands. I was a Bonham guy, played drums, played in a band, even met Bonham's son at the Rainbow once upon a time.

The Apollo shafts are excellent. Heavy but have some tip give in comparison to DG shafts.

Played today, easily best round of season, an 82, but a 3 over front with a major bleed on back leaves me wanting. The 681's did their job, wedge play & too many 3 putts cost a sub 80 gross. 

Hit a par 5 in 2 w/ a 4i, still made par.....SMTH!

Key to success was a pro active awareness of left hip to right shoulder to hands sequencing. Key to failure was not being aware of aforementioned. Fun day though. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

OMG, only the greatest of bands. I was a Bonham guy, played drums, played in a band, even met Bonham's son at the Rainbow once upon a time.

The Apollo shafts are excellent. Heavy but have some tip give in comparison to DG shafts.

Played today, easily best round of season, an 82, but a 3 over front with a major bleed on back leaves me wanting. The 681's did their job, wedge play & too many 3 putts cost a sub 80 gross. 

Key to success was a pro active awareness of left hip to right shoulder to hands sequencing. Key to failure was not being aware of aforementioned. Fun day though. 

KK Downing of Judas Priest fame is also a local and a complete golf nut. He designed and built a course based on the best holes he’d played around the world not far from home. Only played it once not long after it opened and it was outstanding. Best quality park land course I’ve had the pleasure of. Great mix of holes, none of which I recognised, but the outstanding feature was how well manicured it was. It hosted a Trilby Tour or EuroPro event, but got into financial difficulties just after.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t so good at running a golf club and it shut a couple of years ago! The good news is that it has been bought out of administration and is having a major redevelopment.

I remember the Apollo’s weight which is probably why I prefer a heavier shaft now 🤔

Good news on your round although frustrating when the back nine doesn’t stay at the same level as the front! I much prefer rounds the other way around 👍

I’m playing only my 9th round of the year on Tuesday and my first in 6 weeks due to Covid and a general apathy to get out there! Looking forward to seeing how much muscle memory I’ve developed over the years. Last time out was the first round for 6 months and I couldn’t even remember how to open out my push cart 😳...wish me luck!

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

26 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

Forgot to say that John Bonham is revered as a god in these parts (if you’re into heavy metal) and really cool that you met Jason. My mates were all into Led Zep, Rainbow and Black Sabbath back in the day and I only started to really appreciate them later in life.

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

17 minutes ago, mahonie said:

Forgot to say that John Bonham is revered as a god in these parts (if you’re into heavy metal) and really cool that you met Jason. My mates were all into Led Zep, Rainbow and Black Sabbath back in the day and I only started to really appreciate them later in life.

Oh geez! I played soccer with Ritchie Blackmore and even hung at his house. He lived in my county when he was stateside back in the day. He loved soccer and sought a game. Guy had some good legs,. I was a  "roady" for a Roger Glover production at an Electric Lady session once.. My career "was near do well". Wannabe is more sober, lol but I lived the life for a time. Wish I embraced it more. Loved Zeppelin, my band mates got back stage to Rainbow shows and think highly of Judas Priest. "Screaming for Vengeance" is an epic LP. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Did someone say Black Sabbath?

There’s a song that fits this group, quite well in fact.

"Paranoid"? LOL.

Btw, John Bonham is a drum god around the entire world. His stock keeps rising as the decades pass. I revere his playing. I saw Page & Plant, 2nd row at Madison Square Garden on the final night of their US tour.  Probably the best show I ever went to and the guy was there only as a ghost.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mahonie said:

My brother was really into Led Zepp, so I got to hear them as well😆 Actually, it's one of the rare occasions he's shown any good taste. When I was younger, I also liked Rainbow; Zippy was my favourite character...😜

My brother did have some Rainbow albums, but I can't for the life of me remember any of their hits. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Did someone say Black Sabbath?

There’s a song that fits this group, quite well in fact.

Happened on another set of pros. Why do people put their names on their clubs? Probably saved me a few bucks.

39F391E0-A6D4-411F-ABBB-463E0DC9FF9B.jpeg

0A93D052-0C1F-40EF-8809-84B882F3E14F.jpeg

Nice pickup, C_T_S. Hope you managed to keep them secret.

As for getting your own name stamped on the club, I can understand it. After a bad shot I want to blame the club, but one look at the stamping will remind me exactly whom I'm supposed to blame.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nard_S said:

I shot an 82 in my last round as well, and like you, the putter was the major problem. 

My flipping problem has been mostly resolved, though I hit a couple of minor ones with the woods on the front nine. Not got my old distance back with the driver yet, but it's OK

Wedges were sharp, although I had a tendency to just turn them over a little too much occasionally, but I was hitting them really crisply and distance control was spot-on. My tee shots improved over the course of the round, and I hit 5 of 7 fairways on the back nine, and one missed one was when I just hit a 4w a little too long on a dog-leg right and was in the light rough. 

I didn't have a ton of iron shots as it was mostly driver-wedge, but I hit a great 7i in to a tough uphill par 3 for a nice birdie chance which I three-putted for a bogey...and the best was just a perfectly struck PW after a somewhat poor drive which ended up pin-high about 15ft away for a good birdie chance which I left in the jaws. The feeling of that PW was just beautiful, what I'd call pure Mizuno (I was playing the MP4s).

But my putting....Just bloody awful. Couldn't make a thing. Lots of lip outs and hole-burners. I was using a new-to-me putter, an Odyssey stroke Lab 1W, but I don't think that was the problem. I was struggling with the weight of the greens, usually hitting too long. 12 GiR, 1 OB, and 38 putts for an 82. 

I had lots of looks at birdie (20ft or less), 3-putted two of those, and made only one, a downhill slider from 10ft on the 16th. 

The last hole summed it up. Nice drive, not massive but long enough. 70-yard wedge shot pin-high but a little left (span away on landing due to draw spin and slope of green). Birdie putt from about 18ft (6 paces) looked all the way but just lipped out left side to leave a tap-in par.

What could have been...

Edit: Hoe-burner to Hole-burner. No Hoes were burnt in the course of my round.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 2

Oh no, 38 putts would have sent me straight to the pub and my putter to the 2nd hand bin😅 @No_Catchy_Nickname

Sounds like the irons and wedges are coming right though! There isn't much better than a pure wedge tracking straight at the flag and nestling in close... 

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

8 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Oh no, 38 putts would have sent me straight to the pub and my putter to the 2nd hand bin😅 @No_Catchy_Nickname

Sounds like the irons and wedges are coming right though! There isn't much better than a pure wedge tracking straight at the flag and nestling in close... 

Ha, no pub for me tonight, but I am hitting the shochu at home. Err, social distancing...

And I've already been to the local golf shop to inquire about the cost and shaft lengths for the Ping Heppler ZB3 I posted a page or two back. I hit so many good or decent wedges setting up birdie chances or par saves and F*****G MISSED THEM ALL! OK, all but one. 

But to be honest, I wasn't reading the greens well today. The putter generally fitted my swing...but I didn't feel 100% with it. Yeah, I reckon I'm going to buy a brand new putter for the FIRST TIME EVER!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Ha, no pub for me tonight, but I am hitting the shochu at home. Err, social distancing...

And I've already been to the local golf shop to inquire about the cost and shaft lengths for the Ping Heppler ZB3 I posted a page or two back. I hit so many good or decent wedges setting up birdie chances or par saves and F*****G MISSED THEM ALL! OK, all but one. 

But to be honest, I wasn't reading the greens well today. The putter generally fitted my swing...but I didn't feel 100% with it. Yeah, I reckon I'm going to buy a brand new putter for the FIRST TIME EVER!!

Home will work given the restrictions these days... 😆 

I think the new putter is a great idea, especially because it will be the first one ever! I remember wanting a ZB Redwood for so long back in 2007 or so, may that putter looked great.

I've been toying with the idea of a slant neck mallet to replace the newport but had 25 putts on Saturday so that's ruined that idea...  

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

On 10/11/2020 at 8:32 AM, NRJyzr said:

Was pleasantly surprised yesterday, as I arrived home from yesterday's round of golf, I had three boxes waiting by the front door.  My RIP Tour test shafts, my Golden Ram 4i and 8i test clubs, and my two Golden Ram 1 irons all waiting for me.  

Lovely  😊

Pulled the shafts from the 4i/8i last night, assembled them with RIP Tours, and were ready for today's round.  Might have a couple extra clubs in the bag today, LOL.

An update after yesterday's round...

Rather windy, on a tough course.  I force-fed some 4i and 8i shots where I may not have hit those clubs, just so I could see how they'd perform.  They feel stiffer than my NV105 shafts, but I didn't think it would be a problem for me.

Unfortunately, during the round, I found myself starting to swing out of my shoes, starting with driver, then bleeding to every club.  Turned out to make any further shots counter productive.  I wound up blocking what should have been a perfect 4i tee shot on a par 3 about 20* right into a grove of trees.  At that point, I decided the experiment needs further investigation, LOL.  

I'm stopping short of immediately plugging my RIP Tours into one of my sets, but I admit I'm having thoughts...  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I shot an 82 in my last round as well, and like you, the putter was the major problem. 

...................What could have been...

I made some nice "save"  putts, I just 3 putted like 3X, which is egregious. My wedge "touch" is highly suspect for some weird reason, it's in my head now, it's yippish even, ouch. Threw away at least 5 there alone. So 8 strokes gnaw at me, for instance, 385 yard par 4, drill #3w to within 110 yards, GW is muffed, then SW muff into bunker, then blast to back of green, 2 putt for a 6. That was hole #1, bogeyed #2, then par for next 7 holes. Went +6 over 4 holes in meat of back nine. +2 is acceptable (2 crazy hard holes) & was quite doable.

The iron game was decent, the long irons were stellar. 681's track in tight windows, pick a corridor they run through it.  Add a fade or draw bias, they bend without over cook being involved. In between distance control is top tier. The metals were serviceable, with a few hero shots thrown in.

I'm stoked to play and to even hit the range, do not want season to end which is usually not how I feel in October.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

My flipping problem has been mostly resolved, though I hit a couple of minor ones with the woods on the front nine. Not got my old distance back with the driver yet, but it's OK

Wedges were sharp, although I had a tendency to just turn them over a little too much occasionally, but I was hitting them really crisply and distance control was spot-on. My tee shots improved over the course of the round, and I hit 5 of 7 fairways on the back nine, and one missed one was when I just hit a 4w a little too long on a dog-leg right and was in the light rough. 

I didn't have a ton of iron shots as it was mostly driver-wedge, but I hit a great 7i in to a tough uphill par 3 for a nice birdie chance which I three-putted for a bogey...and the best was just a perfectly struck PW after a somewhat poor drive which ended up pin-high about 15ft away for a good birdie chance which I left in the jaws. The feeling of that PW was just beautiful, what I'd call pure Mizuno (I was playing the MP4s).

But my putting....Just bloody awful. Couldn't make a thing. Lots of lip outs and hole-burners. I was using a new-to-me putter, an Odyssey stroke Lab 1W, but I don't think that was the problem. I was struggling with the weight of the greens, usually hitting too long. 12 GiR, 1 OB, and 38 putts for an 82. 

I had lots of looks at birdie (20ft or less), 3-putted two of those, and made only one, a downhill slider from 10ft on the 16th. 

The last hole summed it up. Nice drive, not massive but long enough. 70-yard wedge shot pin-high but a little left (span away on landing due to draw spin and slope of green). Birdie putt from about 18ft (6 paces) looked all the way but just lipped out left side to leave a tap-in par.

What could have been...

Edit: Hoe-burner to Hole-burner. No Hoes were burnt in the course of my round.

I stumbled in to what might be my best find of all time today.  A 3 - P set of 681's for $140!  Great shape, face of the pitching wedge is lightly worn, but otherwise excellent.  I had always wondered how these compared to the 94-97 tour models because they look a lot alike in pictures.  Very similar high muscle design on the back.  Biggest difference is the sole grind.  1659804920_Titleist681vsTourModel2.jpg.8d42383fd99c74c125598846ad79d2fe.jpg241575262_Titleist681vsTourModel3.jpg.9802f3eb937be493907793452b5d08b2.jpg

Titleist 681 vs Tour Model.jpg

Titleist 681 Set.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Joe S said:

I stumbled in to what might be my best find of all time today.  A 3 - P set of 681's for $140!  Great shape, face of the pitching wedge is lightly worn, but otherwise excellent.  I had always wondered how these compared to the 94-97 tour models because they look a lot alike in pictures.  Very similar high muscle design on the back.  Biggest difference is the sole grind.  1659804920_Titleist681vsTourModel2.jpg.8d42383fd99c74c125598846ad79d2fe.jpg241575262_Titleist681vsTourModel3.jpg.9802f3eb937be493907793452b5d08b2.jpg

Titleist 681 Set.jpg

What a find!!!!  Congrats!

6 hours ago, Joe S said:

Titleist 681 Set.jpg

Wow where in the world did you find the 681s for $140? 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

56 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Wow where in the world did you find the 681s for $140? 

I found them at a local golf shop that has a pretty substantial wall of trade in's that they re-sell.  The owner knows his stuff and I'm sure is aware of what he had.  Most used items are priced where you would expect them to be, but occasionally something like this will pop up.  I bought a nice set of MP32's a couple of years ago for about the same price and a really clean set of J33b's for $100 last year.

5 minutes ago, Joe S said:

I found them at a local golf shop that has a pretty substantial wall of trade in's that they re-sell.  The owner knows his stuff and I'm sure is aware of what he had.  Most used items are priced where you would expect them to be, but occasionally something like this will pop up.  I bought a nice set of MP32's a couple of years ago for about the same price and a really clean set of J33b's for $100 last year.

Dang. That is a honey hole. The golf stores around me that usually have a decent selection of used clubs are basically completely sold out right now with COVID increase. 

• Like 1

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

5 hours ago, Joe S said:

That's a great pick-up. And that's a shop I probably should avoid.

• Like 1