Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

On 10/12/2020 at 9:28 AM, NRJyzr said:

An update after yesterday's round...

Rather windy, on a tough course.  I force-fed some 4i and 8i shots where I may not have hit those clubs, just so I could see how they'd perform.  They feel stiffer than my NV105 shafts, but I didn't think it would be a problem for me.

Unfortunately, during the round, I found myself starting to swing out of my shoes, starting with driver, then bleeding to every club.  Turned out to make any further shots counter productive.  I wound up blocking what should have been a perfect 4i tee shot on a par 3 about 20* right into a grove of trees.  At that point, I decided the experiment needs further investigation, LOL.  

I'm stopping short of immediately plugging my RIP Tours into one of my sets, but I admit I'm having thoughts...  🙂

Another update....

I've got a set of Recoil Proto 125 F4's on the way.  These will be installed in my MP37s, may as well go full steam ahead.

Hoping they arrive in time for me to try them on course this weekend.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

8 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Another update....

I've got a set of Recoil Proto 125 F4's on the way.  These will be installed in my MP37s, may as well go full steam ahead.

Hoping they arrive in time for me to try them on course this weekend.

Have you noticed any difference in feel between graphite and steel. I ask because I'm playing graphite shafts in my MP4s, and don't think I'm getting the same feel as when I had steel shafted MP4s. My suspicion is that it's more to do with the shaft profile than anything else. With DG shafts, I could feel a kick through impact, but I don't really get that with these graphite shafts. They are Mamiya ATTAS 115X shafts, and stiff as boards.

Results are fine, but the feel is different from what I remember when I played steel-shafted MP4s.

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Have you noticed any difference in feel between graphite and steel. I ask because I'm playing graphite shafts in my MP4s, and don't think I'm getting the same feel as when I had steel shafted MP4s. My suspicion is that it's more to do with the shaft profile than anything else. With DG shafts, I could feel a kick through impact, but I don't really get that with these graphite shafts. They are Mamiya ATTAS 115X shafts, and stiff as boards.

Results are fine, but the feel is different from what I remember when I played steel-shafted MP4s.

Sounds like you need to pick up another set of 4s with a reasonable steel shafts, for comparison's sake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Sounds like you need to pick up another set of 4s with a reasonable steel shafts, for comparison's sake.

Sounds like a great idea...🤨

The local shop had a set of MP4s in recently, 3i-PW with DGS200 shafts, and yeah, I was tempted. There's also a 5i-PW set with either DGS200 or X100 still on display. 

I hit the new Honma blade (TV20? TR20?) in the net the other day, and really like it. Nice thin topline. 

12 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

With the graphite I've used, the main difference is dampening.  The NV105 feel similarly to DGS, though mine are playing slightly softer, due to the swingweight I added to compensate for the lower static weight.  Wish I'd hardstepped them.  The RIP Tours have a DG-like profile, but are stiffer in the bottom section than DG, which is noticeable.

There was also a time lag; it's been a few years since I put the NV105 in play, and I hadn't been playing that set much when I reshafted them.  There's a feel difference between Rams and Mizunos, after all.  😉 

It's going to be interesting once I put Recoil Protos in the MP-37s.  With my other set, I was changing from Ram with Precision shafts to Ram with NV shafts, a combination of changes to profile, weight, and material.  Here, I'll be going from DGS to Recoil Proto, but only a few grams lighter.  I'm curious how it will work out.  🙂 

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

9 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

With the graphite I've used, the main difference is dampening.  The NV105 feel similarly to DGS, though mine are playing slightly softer, due to the swingweight I added to compensate for the lower static weight.  Wish I'd hardstepped them.  The RIP Tours have a DG-like profile, but are stiffer in the bottom section than DG, which is noticeable.

There was also a time lag; it's been a few years since I put the NV105 in play, and I hadn't been playing that set much when I reshafted them.  There's a feel difference between Rams and Mizunos, after all.  😉 

It's going to be interesting once I put Recoil Protos in the MP-37s.  With my other set, I was changing from Ram with Precision shafts to Ram with NV shafts, a combination of changes to profile, weight, and material.  Here, I'll be going from DGS to Recoil Proto, but only a few grams lighter.  I'm curious how it will work out.  🙂 

I feel like graphite shafts are in my future... that has got to be the next evolution. So, these posts are very much appreciated.

• Like 1

One extra update....

Located an MP37 2 iron, bought it last night, its in transit.  Will need to pick up a Recoil Proto for it, though I could always hold off until I see how I like the Recoils.  

With the weather turning junky here starting tomorrow, my urgency level is trending downward.  May still get a few weeks of golf, but we're definitely running out of season

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

One extra update....

Located an MP37 2 iron, bought it last night, its in transit.  Will need to pick up a Recoil Proto for it, though I could always hold off until I see how I like the Recoils.  

With the weather turning junky here starting tomorrow, my urgency level is trending downward.  May still get a few weeks of golf, but we're definitely running out of season

You must have quite the long iron collection by now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, boggyman said:

Got me a spare set of my beloved FG17s! For $59 figured I couldn’t go wrong. These came 4-P, a 3 iron won’t be hard to come by or I’ll just add my ole trusty Fli-Hi. A little cleaning and fresh grips and they’ll be ready! No more iron in the foreseeable future for me!

8CA22492-60CE-4027-8CBF-5049A7A994F4.jpeg

FE952E04-94B8-4212-9093-5EEEAB9CEBDF.jpeg

23F77A99-5F1E-4417-9758-E8020888AA25.jpeg

I've got a set of FG-J8s, which were either a custom grind based on the FG-17, or the FG-17 for the Japanese market, but they are pretty much identical to the FG-17s. I love them, probably my favourite set based on looks and playability. The look of the short irons in particular has become my gold standard.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I've got a set of FG-J8s, which were either a custom grind based on the FG-17, or the FG-17 for the Japanese market, but they are pretty much identical to the FG-17s. I love them, probably my favourite set based on looks and playability. The look of the short irons in particular has become my gold standard.

Best irons I’ve ever used, for me, bar none!

Hopped out for nine with a friend, shot 40. Had 4 legit birdie putts (<15'), missed them all, lol. Swing comfort has risen a lot and I credit more efficient hip clearance move that I learned of right here on WRX. 681's were spot on. Favorite approach was a gut estimated #8i from the periphery of woods. Hit through tree limbs and put in within 5 feet. Good times.

15 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

These days I take a gaggle of different irons to the course to warm up. All with different, but playable shafts. It's been interesting to see how each flies with similar swings - seeing it, has helped me understand my swing a Iittle more - it seems counterintuitive, as you often here the advice not to hit anything except the clubs you intend to play (not from folks in this thread, so much). I think knowing what you get, in terms of launch and spin from different shafts has been one of the biggest lessons this year. 

To your point on shaft experimentation. I think it's a real positive exercise when done in a measured way. I like seeing where it pulls the swing. Sometimes it's immediate sometimes it takes weeks, but it adds a muscle confusion aspect to practicing too and leads to greater wisdom of one's own game.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 6:49 PM, boggyman said:

Got me a spare set of my beloved FG17s! For $59 figured I couldn’t go wrong. These came 4-P, a 3 iron won’t be hard to come by or I’ll just add my ole trusty Fli-Hi. A little cleaning and fresh grips and they’ll be ready! No more iron in the foreseeable future for me!

8CA22492-60CE-4027-8CBF-5049A7A994F4.jpeg

FE952E04-94B8-4212-9093-5EEEAB9CEBDF.jpeg

23F77A99-5F1E-4417-9758-E8020888AA25.jpeg

I still have my 1-PW set, and I think I have a spare 1i.  

I must have 2K rounds on mine, haha. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Karch said:

I still have my 1-PW set, and I think I have a spare 1i.  

I must have 2K rounds on mine, haha. 

Love mine. First set I stumbled upon by a mere accident lol, best $50 in golf I’d spent ever. I’ve also got a 2 iron in a reg flex that’s a great tee weapon. They’re my favorite iron ever! 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 7:02 PM, NRJyzr said:

One extra update....

MP37 2 iron showed up today, woo!  I was worried it might be a little beat, but it's actually in pretty good shape.  Will have to score a 2 iron shaft to put in it, when I get the full set reshafted.  Having trouble finding the time to do the reshaft job, I may take it on course, play steel a couple times before I have to pack the clubs away for the winter.  

In other news, the test with the RIP Tour 115 in a couple Golden Rams has me planning on going forward with them in something or another.  Have to figure out which set I want to use with them, looking at the TW282 or the Vibration Matched Golden Rams.  I have an extra 2 iron shaft that I could put in the 1 iron in either set.  

Would be nice to get one of these projects done so they could be played before the end of the season.  🙂

• Like 2

Being a lefty I'm so jealous of some of the irons you guys find for next to nothing. Of course, maybe that's a good thing. If I was right handed I'd have to park our cars outside.😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

On 10/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, cb24 said:

Been a while, great to see the thread going strong.  I am thinking about getting either the Callaway Apex MB 2018 or the Rose Proto Honma Irons.  Possibly looking at Mizuno MP 20 as well.  Thoughts or experiences from others?  

Been a while since I've hit the Apex and MP20. They were both good but I didn't get any kind of wow factor from either. Both felt good (nothing crazy soft but nice and deep on impact) and looked nice at address (bit more rounded shape on the Mizunos). I wouldn't mind having either in the bag but they didn't have me walking away feeling "damn I want these in my bag right now." I had more of that sensation with 620 MB. Overall you really can't go wrong with either of them though in my opinion.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

On 10/19/2020 at 4:22 AM, cb24 said:

Been a while, great to see the thread going strong.  I am thinking about getting either the Callaway Apex MB 2018 or the Rose Proto Honma Irons.  Possibly looking at Mizuno MP 20 as well.  Thoughts or experiences from others?  

Bias but the Callaway's have been game changers for me. 

- Easy to manipulate ballflight

- Feel soft yet really solid

- They look great

- Not overly penal on those off center strikes, low strikes are really well looked after.

- Really get through the turf well, biggest plus I reckon

Hope this helps 

• Like 2

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Recently back into my MP-69s, missed the feedback and low offset relative to the 900 tours I played for a while. Recently tested the MP-20s vs the P7MB and it looks like I will be staying a Mizuno guy. Saw pretty similar numbers to my current set, maybe a touch more forgiveness and distance.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

12 hours ago, Yoshifan151 said:

Been a while since I've hit the Apex and MP20. They were both good but I didn't get any kind of wow factor from either. Both felt good (nothing crazy soft but nice and deep on impact) and looked nice at address (bit more rounded shape on the Mizunos). I wouldn't mind having either in the bag but they didn't have me walking away feeling "damn I want these in my bag right now." I had more of that sensation with 620 MB. Overall you really can't go wrong with either of them though in my opinion.

thank you for the response, I have a 4 iron rose proto on the way, 4 iron MP 4, MP67 and MP 18 and an Apex MB 6 iron all on the way.  Looking forward to some good testing 🙂. Most are with the modus 120 shaft

8 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Bias but the Callaway's have been game changers for me. 

- Easy to manipulate ballflight

- Feel soft yet really solid

- They look great

- Not overly penal on those off center strikes, low strikes are really well looked after.

- Really get through the turf well, biggest plus I reckon

Hope this helps 

that is very helpful, thank you!  the Apex MB reminds me of the MP68 which is my all time favorite set, so that’s a huge plus as well.  Any thoughts on the comparison between the two 

3 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Recently back into my MP-69s, missed the feedback and low offset relative to the 900 tours I played for a while. Recently tested the MP-20s vs the P7MB and it looks like I will be staying a Mizuno guy. Saw pretty similar numbers to my current set, maybe a touch more forgiveness and distance.

it’s interesting I played the MP69 for a very short time, but I think I remover liking the 68 better.  I might get another set with how cheap they are.  Can never have too many blades, lol.

BTW, if anybody is interested in Srixon Z965 I have a set ;).  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cb24 said:

it’s interesting I played the MP69 for a very short time, but I think I remover liking the 68 better.  I might get another set with how cheap they are.  Can never have too many blades, lol. 

I actually would agree with that, I had a set of MP-68s as well that I loved, just wore them out and got a great deal on these new. There aren't many Mizuno blades I don't like.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Have multiple sets of mizuno blades over the years and still currently have 2 sets of MP-33 with several spare heads. Don't game them anymore as the old precision rifle shafts were giving my arms a good pasting. Reshafted another set in as new condition with a slightly more forgiving original project x satins but have yet to put a round on them.

Currently using a set of raw Japan Forged Epon af tour blades with C-Tapers stiff.

Edited by Golly

13 hours ago, cb24 said:

that is very helpful, thank you!  the Apex MB reminds me of the MP68 which is my all time favorite set, so that’s a huge plus as well.  Any thoughts on the comparison between the two 

Now that you mention it these are very similar to the MP68's... I had a set years ago that I regret selling, the only difference between the two I'd say is the Mizuno feel. Playability wise I'd say they are pretty much the same. 

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

8 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Now that you mention it these are very similar to the MP68's... I had a set years ago that I regret selling, the only difference between the two I'd say is the Mizuno feel. Playability wise I'd say they are pretty much the same. 

I don’t know why I never tried the Apex Mb, looking forward to getting the demo iron in.  In your opinion, the MP 68 feels better or the Apex?

16 hours ago, cb24 said:

I don’t know why I never tried the Apex Mb, looking forward to getting the demo iron in.  In your opinion, the MP 68 feels better or the Apex?

You're going to enjoy it! 

They both feel great, the MP68's have that iconic Mizuno soft feel, the ball sort of melts into the face and everything seems right in the world

They Apex feel is different, almost more dense but still really soft, like middling a cricket bat through the covers for 4, feels dense but so pure. 

I must say I think I prefer the Apex... blasphemy I know

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

There's a lot of good MB's in the offering right now. The Blue Print is the only one I've hit but the Wilson gets praise along with TM's P7TW. Cobra will release a new RF/KC blade that looks beautiful. You have Callaway, Mizuno & Titleist and we have not mentioned JDM stuff. The P Zero (sic) from Miura is gorgeous, they're also doing a Jack N. limited issue too. Lot to choose from out there.