Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

2 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

When you have a little time, how about some pictures.

The set wedges in the TN87 were played by David Duval, if my memory serves me. And, they are not too ugly. Likewise the wedges in the MS203 are okay. Maybe just a touch too much offset. Remarkably similar to the original Miura wedge I picked up a while back... There are two examples on auction for 60000yen a piece here - https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/hitodasuke2018?sid=hitodasuke2018&auccat=24698&b=1&n=50&mode=2&slider=undefined

Yep, the TN-87 wedges are fine, but I don't have any...I have occasionally looked at buying one, but my budget for one is very low as I don't especially need an extra wedge. If I can find one for ¥4,000~¥4,500 (with shipping included in that), I'd probably buy it. But the ones I've seen around slightly more than that.

I hadn't considered the MS203. Need to check them out. Aren't they the ones Faldo had a hand in designing?

I'll try to get round to pics of the MS-7s soon.

Have a set of Mizuno Nick Faldo wedges in 52* & 56*. They are pretty special and have zero desire to rid  myself of them.

Played last week, conditions were harsh but it did not excuse my poor play. Felt somewhat disillusioned about my recent swing epiphany. But played this week and had a much better time of it. Frost delay limited the daylight so I parred 10 of 13 and aside from two holes (+5 for those) was pretty satisfied with play. I spoke of torso awareness before but the other thing that came to me was that the nature of hand throw in my down swing was all wrong. It turns out it's also wrong  in my chipping and pitching too. So that tweak and the pec thing led to some pretty solid striking. A case of "matching parts" perhaps. With all that, the 681's were emitting nice deep thumps, the short game became crisp again. Felt good.

The 13th hole at my course approaches the parking lot and in many rounds, beer and Pro sports beckon but this week I was  pretty bummed that we had to wrap it there. Looking forward to consecrating better swing intents and sneak a few more rounds in before Yankee winter arrives. Cheers.

• Like 1

The MP69s have certainly grown on me. Didn't like them that much at first for some reason, but quite a fan now.

I'm sifting through sets at the moment in an attempt to slim down my hoard. Some obvious ones on the block, and some I am really struggling over.

I was about to dispense of my Mac MT R58 irons, which were, I think, a JDM release in the Nineties, and forged by Miura if the rumour is true. The problem with my set is that they are a bit short--the PW is shorter than my putter--and the Precision FM6.5 shaft is a little on the stiff side. Also, if I sell them, I reckon I can get back what I paid for them and more, as they are quite desirable irons and I bought them for a pretty low price. Anyhow, I took the PW, 8i, and 5i to the range last night and decided these are keepers.

The others I'm not sure about are the Nike OG blades, Cally Protos, and RAM Camber Sole irons. The Nikes and Cally Protos are in an either/or battle. I'm tempted to put the Nikes up for auction because I am pretty sure I can double or treble what I paid for them; that said, they are beautiful looking irons, and feel great as well.

I reckon I can also make a profit on the Cally protos because I got them really cheap and they're in excellent condition. Thing is, the last round I played with these, they performed really well, and I'd like to take them out again. 

As for the RAM Camber Soles, well I've got the Tour Grinds and the Camber Soles aren't that different. Problem is, I got them reshafted them with a whacky shaft (PXi 6.0 extended by 3/4") which will reduce their value.

So yeah, I'll probably be hanging on to all three sets:pimp:

• Like 4

I would 100% keep the OG Nikes and the Protos @No_Catchy_Nickname

Because I'm bias towards the Protos and I think the OG Nikes are one of if not the best looking blades of all time... 

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I would 100% keep the OG Nikes and the Protos @No_Catchy_Nickname

Because I'm bias towards the Protos and I think the OG Nikes are one of if not the best looking blades of all time... 

I thought you'd say that about the Protos...😀

I agree about the Nikes. They look great from behind and great at address, and feel great. The Protos I like, and I have the confidence of a good round with them under my belt. 

The Nikes are slightly on the short side for me, but it's not a deal breaker. The main problem is that they are one of four "modern" irons I have, the others being MP4s and Wilson FG-62s. I don't actually swap irons around in my modern bag that much, so they're not seeing a lot of bag time. On top of that, I just saw a set of Nike OGs go for about US$250 on an auction site here. That's more than 3 times what I paid for mine...

But I think I'll hang to both sets. Maybe play the Protos a bit more and see if I want to hold on to them this time next year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I thought you'd say that about the Protos...😀

I agree about the Nikes. They look great from behind and great at address, and feel great. The Protos I like, and I have the confidence of a good round with them under my belt. 

The Nikes are slightly on the short side for me, but it's not a deal breaker. The main problem is that they are one of four "modern" irons I have, the others being MP4s and Wilson FG-62s. I don't actually swap irons around in my modern bag that much, so they're not seeing a lot of bag time. On top of that, I just saw a set of Nike OGs go for about US$250 on an auction site here. That's more than 3 times what I paid for mine...

But I think I'll hang to both sets. Maybe play the Protos a bit more and see if I want to hold on to them this time next year.

Fair enough! That would be a great little profit if you did get rid of them. I honestly would have a problem every week trying to decide which one of those 4 I would be putting in the bag 😅 I would have to figure out some kind of rotation and try stick to it... 

Gotta give the Protos a proper shot, definitely one of the most playable designs I've come across. 

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Those look pretty sweet, Catchy.  

And pretty good deal, too.  If Google is telling me correctly, that's not a lot to spend.  🙂

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

You won't believe it but I actually played with a new member on Saturday that had some MS-7's in the bag... What are the chances 😅 Nice addition @No_Catchy_Nickname

• Like 2

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

54 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

You won't believe it but I actually played with a new member on Saturday that had some MS-7's in the bag... What are the chances 😅 Nice addition @No_Catchy_Nickname

As they're not the most common Mizuno iron, I'd say that's quite a coincidence. Did he say how he had acquired them? The MS-7s were a US model, similar (but perhaps not identical) to the TP-9s launched in Europe. I have no idea what model the South African market got, or even if Mizuno were selling in SA back then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

As they're not the most common Mizuno iron, I'd say that's quite a coincidence. Did he say how he had acquired them? The MS-7s were a US model, similar (but perhaps not identical) to the TP-9s launched in Europe. I have no idea what model the South African market got, or even if Mizuno were selling in SA back then. 

He didn't say, but he has had them for years, I'd say he probably got them way back when they came out (older chap) and they just haven't left the bag since. He was a great player back in the day who played against all the old SA greats through junior/amateur golf. He still swings it so well, I don't think he missed one iron shot all day. 

I on the other hand missed every single tee shot... love those rounds where every hole is a scramble 🙄

• Like 2

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

37 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

He didn't say, but he has had them for years, I'd say he probably got them way back when they came out (older chap) and they just haven't left the bag since. He was a great player back in the day who played against all the old SA greats through junior/amateur golf. He still swings it so well, I don't think he missed one iron shot all day. 

I on the other hand missed every single tee shot... love those rounds where every hole is a scramble 🙄

I hope I can swing them as well as him.

Most of my rounds this year have been like your last one: scrambling on every hole. On the bright side, my short game* is the best it's ever been😑

*putting not included in this bold claim

• Like 2

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I hope I can swing them as well as him.

Most of my rounds this year have been like your last one: scrambling on every hole. On the bright side, my short game* is the best it's ever been😑

*putting not included in this bold claim

It's really not fun... but now that you mention it I've chipped in at least once in my last 4 rounds so the shortgame is definitely improving with all these missed greens 😅

My putter has gone ice cold though... always fun standing over a putt hoping it gets somewhere near the hole, no matter if its 3ft or 30ft

• Sad 2

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

4 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

It's really not fun... but now that you mention it I've chipped in at least once in my last 4 rounds so the shortgame is definitely improving with all these missed greens 😅

My putter has gone ice cold though... always fun standing over a putt hoping it gets somewhere near the hole, no matter if its 3ft or 30ft

I've had too many rounds with the putter like that. I've never been a good putter, but this last year I had two rounds where I couldn't make anything. Recently, I've made a big change in how I putt, and it seems to be working. I put the ball back in my stance, almost like I am chipping. It helps me see the line better. I think I am strongly left eye dominant, or something like that, because it's so different from having the ball forward or in the centre of my stance. I can actually see the line I want to hit the putt on.

Of course, I have to successfully read the putt in the first place, and hit it on the line I want, so I haven't turned into Bobby Locke overnight, but it's an improvement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I've had too many rounds with the putter like that. I've never been a good putter, but this last year I had two rounds where I couldn't make anything. Recently, I've made a big change in how I putt, and it seems to be working. I put the ball back in my stance, almost like I am chipping. It helps me see the line better. I think I am strongly left eye dominant, or something like that, because it's so different from having the ball forward or in the centre of my stance. I can actually see the line I want to hit the putt on.

Of course, I have to successfully read the putt in the first place, and hit it on the line I want, so I haven't turned into Bobby Locke overnight, but it's an improvement.

One of the best putters I know has the ball slightly back of center and gives the ball a little pop, rolls it beautifully! So I definitely think you're on to something there, start breaking out the youtube vids of Bobby Locke 😆

I find if it gets too far forward in my stance I start getting really inconsistent with distance control and direction. It's a horrible feeling standing over a putt and having no confidence at all, I actually think I duffed a putt slightly this weekend...

I think you've just diagnosed why my putter is so cold at the moment, going to check my ball position later.

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

One of the best putters I know has the ball slightly back of center and gives the ball a little pop, rolls it beautifully! So I definitely think you're on to something there, start breaking out the youtube vids of Bobby Locke 😆

I find if it gets too far forward in my stance I start getting really inconsistent with distance control and direction. It's a horrible feeling standing over a putt and having no confidence at all, I actually think I duffed a putt slightly this weekend...

I think you've just diagnosed why my putter is so cold at the moment, going to check my ball position later.

I'd tried putting the ball quite forward in my stance right at the start of the year. It made me see a different line to when my eyes were over the ball, but it wasn't the right one! When I put the ball forward in my stance, I really struggled with direction. Distance not so much, but my direction was all over the place. Pushes right and pulls left on the same green. It wasn't different from one day to the next, but from one putt to next.

Hope you find something that works with putter.

• Like 1

I wish I could remember the so called rules of putter styles, involving eye dominance.  I seem to remember, for RH golfers, that no offset works better for either right or left eye dominance, while having the offset works better for the other side of that equation.

I've been through my own putting wars the last few years.  I have an arc stroke, though I can't say if it's slight or strong (using Ping's terminology), and find that face balanced putters don't work for me.  I've also found that high MOI mallets cause my distance control to devolve.  I had some egregiously bad results with one a couple years ago.

Through the various messing around, I found I was putting better with a heel shafted blade, this Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1 that's essentially an 8802.  It's also an 8802 that's had a growth spurt, the clubhead is larger than an 8802 or 8813, and the MOI exceeds that of a Scottsdale Anser by more than a little.  It's probably in the range of a normal 350g Anser style head, in terms of forgiveness.

There are probably guidelines out there that might be able to get you in the right area, and you could narrow it down through experimentation.  Wish I could remember what they are.  LOL

• Like 3

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I love scramble golf when the wedge & putter work. Love having "the touch". This season the wedge was awol a bit too much, but the putter was mostly okay. A few years ago,  I went with the Dave Stockton method, a more lead hand dominant style of putting and this inherently keeps ball position somewhat in between. Forward but not too much. Like  2''off lead heel.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I wish I could remember the so called rules of putter styles, involving eye dominance.  I seem to remember, for RH golfers, that no offset works better for either right or left eye dominance, while having the offset works better for the other side of that equation.

I've been through my own putting wars the last few years.  I have an arc stroke, though I can't say if it's slight or strong (using Ping's terminology), and find that face balanced putters don't work for me.  I've also found that high MOI mallets cause my distance control to devolve.  I had some egregiously bad results with one a couple years ago.

Through the various messing around, I found I was putting better with a heel shafted blade, this Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1 that's essentially an 8802.  It's also an 8802 that's had a growth spurt, the clubhead is larger than an 8802 or 8813, and the MOI exceeds that of a Scottsdale Anser by more than a little.  It's probably in the range of a normal 350g Anser style head, in terms of forgiveness.

There are probably guidelines out there that might be able to get you in the right area, and you could narrow it down through experimentation.  Wish I could remember what they are.  LOL

Funnily enough, I noticed the Snake Eyes putter in your profile earlier today, and wondered if it was a new edition! I did a GIS for it, and it's a nice-looking putter.

I too have an arc-stroke, so 8802 style putters generally work well for me, but I slightly prefer the TPA XVIII/Odyssey #9 semi mallet types. After selling a #9 that I putted pretty well with a few years back, I have been looking for another one for a reasonable price, ideally with a 35" shaft. I found one in my local shop a couple of months ago: White Hot Ice, 35", and in great condition, for less than $20. I snapped it up, put a new grip on it, and it's in the bag. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Funnily enough, I noticed the Snake Eyes putter in your profile earlier today, and wondered if it was a new edition! I did a GIS for it, and it's a nice-looking putter.

I too have an arc-stroke, so 8802 style putters generally work well for me, but I slightly prefer the TPA XVIII/Odyssey #9 semi mallet types. After selling a #9 that I putted pretty well with a few years back, I have been looking for another one for a reasonable price, ideally with a 35" shaft. I found one in my local shop a couple of months ago: White Hot Ice, 35", and in great condition, for less than $20. I snapped it up, put a new grip on it, and it's in the bag. 

I was going to mention that I have a TPA XVIII myself, and a Snake Eyes Tour Platinum version of it as well.  I could quite easily putt with either of them, I think, though the latter might need a new grip.  I've been getting results with the Viper Tour, and so have not taken the XVIII models on the course for quite a while.

I'm also finding that putter weight is very much part of the personal preference equation.  I've experimented with both heavier and lighter, the Snake Eyes coming in on the heavy side, and have found that it works pretty well for me.  It's 355g, and I believe the Tour Platinum XVIII model is 360g (edit:  just found specs online, it's 375g).  The Tour Platinum feels a bit heavy, though I'm sure I'd adjust.  The 345g of my Cleveland Huntington Beach Anser-alike seems maybe a touch light.  350g to 355g, or thereabouts, is probably just right.

A nice Goldilocks moment.  LOL

FWIW, my preferred putter length these days is 34" with my heel shafted blades, maybe a quarter inch under that after switching back to the True Linkswear shoes that have me a bit closer to the ground.  In Ping terms, I believe that would be 34.5", at least with an Anser style, as they seem to measure down the shaft to the center of the putter face.  At least I believe they do.  😉 

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I have a 983k in my bag too! 

Awesome!  I have a 983e with the green NV shaft that gets out from time to time.  I'm currently putting the band back together - the FG17s are ready to go with new DGS300's and just today arrived a J's Professional Weapon.  Last thing is a TM 3wood with the Flext Twist Titanium shaft which should arrive in the next day or so.  Persimmons are blonde Penna driver and 4 wood.  I've really enjoyed this thread and reliving my golfing past.  Love the look of the Blueprints for a "modern" blade to get dirty.  Stay safe out there!

Edited by tomc262
  • Like 3

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

25 minutes ago, tomc262 said:

Awesome!  I have a 983e with the green NV shaft that gets out from time to time.  I'm currently putting the band back together - the FG17s are ready to go with new DGS300's and just today arrived a J's Professional Weapon.  Last thing is a TM 3wood with the Flext Twist Titanium shaft which should arrive in the next day or so.  Persimmons are blonde Penna driver and 4 wood.  I've really enjoyed this thread and reliving my golfing past.  Love the look of the Blueprints for a "modern" blade to get dirty.  Stay safe out there!

That's a great bag! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I was going to mention that I have a TPA XVIII myself, and a Snake Eyes Tour Platinum version of it as well.  I could quite easily putt with either of them, I think, though the latter might need a new grip.  I've been getting results with the Viper Tour, and so have not taken the XVIII models on the course for quite a while.

I'm also finding that putter weight is very much part of the personal preference equation.  I've experimented with both heavier and lighter, the Snake Eyes coming in on the heavy side, and have found that it works pretty well for me.  It's 355g, and I believe the Tour Platinum XVIII model is 360g (edit:  just found specs online, it's 375g).  The Tour Platinum feels a bit heavy, though I'm sure I'd adjust.  The 345g of my Cleveland Huntington Beach Anser-alike seems maybe a touch light.  350g to 355g, or thereabouts, is probably just right.

A nice Goldilocks moment.  LOL

FWIW, my preferred putter length these days is 34" with my heel shafted blades, maybe a quarter inch under that after switching back to the True Linkswear shoes that have me a bit closer to the ground.  In Ping terms, I believe that would be 34.5", at least with an Anser style, as they seem to measure down the shaft to the center of the putter face.  At least I believe they do.  😉 

Regarding putter length, I can putt with 34" putters--my TPA XVIII is 34"--but I'v found I get better results with 35" putters such as my Wilson 8802 and White Ice #9. Bearing in mind the state of the my putter, "better results" is only better in the same way that a plate of jellied eels is better than dish of lutefisk, but still, better is better.

Weight is a tough one. I didn't used to like heavy putters, but since getting used to the White Ice #9, which is 350g or so, the TPA XVIII seems really light, even though it's got a load of lead weight on the sole. The Wilson is not particularly heavy, definitely lighter than the White Ice, but it feels just right.

Also, White Ice sounds more like the street name for crystal meth than a putter.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 4:46 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

The MP69s have certainly grown on me. Didn't like them that much at first for some reason, but quite a fan now.

I'm sifting through sets at the moment in an attempt to slim down my hoard. Some obvious ones on the block, and some I am really struggling over.

I was about to dispense of my Mac MT R58 irons, which were, I think, a JDM release in the Nineties, and forged by Miura if the rumour is true. The problem with my set is that they are a bit short--the PW is shorter than my putter--and the Precision FM6.5 shaft is a little on the stiff side. Also, if I sell them, I reckon I can get back what I paid for them and more, as they are quite desirable irons and I bought them for a pretty low price. Anyhow, I took the PW, 8i, and 5i to the range last night and decided these are keepers.

The others I'm not sure about are the Nike OG blades, Cally Protos, and RAM Camber Sole irons. The Nikes and Cally Protos are in an either/or battle. I'm tempted to put the Nikes up for auction because I am pretty sure I can double or treble what I paid for them; that said, they are beautiful looking irons, and feel great as well.

I reckon I can also make a profit on the Cally protos because I got them really cheap and they're in excellent condition. Thing is, the last round I played with these, they performed really well, and I'd like to take them out again. 

As for the RAM Camber Soles, well I've got the Tour Grinds and the Camber Soles aren't that different. Problem is, I got them reshafted them with a whacky shaft (PXi 6.0 extended by 3/4") which will reduce their value.

So yeah, I'll probably be hanging on to all three sets:pimp:

laughed heartily reading about those r58s

5 hours ago, tomc262 said:

17s are great sticks!!

• Like 1