2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Intimidating JDM Bag

redhead

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure about the meaning from the orig thread, but "intimidating" JDM? 1. Most golfers I run into on the course (in the US) don't know what "JDM" is. 2. They think it's overpriced. and then 3. Because of points #1 and #2 they then think you're a poser (especially many here on wrx) and as such I don't know if I could say a JDM bag can be "intimidating", but I could be missing the point of the original thread. I just tell those people who don't know any better to GFY and then ignore them. Mind you I have two bags full of JDM stuff but not as cool as some others around. :)

My JDM bags make my golf game intimidating because randoms I get paired with wonder how I am breaking 80 with Walmart knockoff clubs probably from the 80s because they are blades hahaha. I have played golf in Florida my whole life, I just found JDM 2 years ago or so. It basically doesn't exist outside the internet.

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1421349572' post='10752275']
Has anyone ever been intimidated by the contents of someone else's bag? Any beginner with money can assemble a 10k bag of JDM equipment. Where I live, hardly anyone knows that JDM exists.
[/quote]

I've played with the odd person in Texas who showed me the handgun he was carrying around in his bag, that's sorta intimidating.

But intimidated by a golf club? Not so much lol!

I think "confusing" might be a better word...

Had a caddy with a great sense of humor - familiarizing himself with my bag, he pulls out my Adams DHY 18* and asked when l liked to use it... Tee? Fwy? Could be either I replied. Then he pulled out a Yururi wedge and he said "and this is for...", I cut him off saying it was for the sand... Closely examining the wedge he added... "in North Korea..." I don't know why, it just struck me so funny I laughed for the first 2 holes...

Later that day he nicknamed the DHY "tattoo"...

I have Yururi Irons and wedges, a set of Epons, and some other random JDM gear, most guys ask if they're Miuras... I just smile and nod.

You could get a driver with a Seven Dreamers Space shaft. Btw, the shaft retails for 1,500,000 yen + 8% tax, or about $14k.

http://golf.sevendreamers.com/products/

However, I think the handgun is more intimidating.

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

[quote name='redhead' timestamp='1421344084' post='10751767']
Inspired by "how to build an intimidating bag" post sometime ago, in your opinion, what would be the most intimidating JDM clubs?

Driver:epon technicity 380
Woods/Hybrid:203 & 903
Irons:butter knives w dime sized dents in the middle of the face
Wedges:mini toyos
Putter: zen
[/quote]

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421373162' post='10754469']
My JDM bags make my golf game intimidating because randoms I get paired with wonder how I am breaking 80 with Walmart knockoff clubs probably from the 80s because they are blades hahaha. I have played golf in Florida my whole life, I just found JDM 2 years ago or so. It basically doesn't exist outside the internet.
[/quote]You have to remember that the basic golfer does not keep up with the game like us WRXers do and none of the JDM companies with maybe the exception of Mizuno do any "main stream" advertising . A lot of it is the section you are in. I have a friend on this end of the beach that is a Miura dealer but he gets a lot of repeat business from out of town. He is also an Infiniti club dealer along with my other friend on this end. There is one other Infiniti dealer on the North end of the beach. But far as Miuras you go to the north end of the beach and no one knows what they are. We were up there playing back in the summer and one of the guys I was playing with has a beautiful set of 1957 baby blades. I heard one of the bag drop guys ask his fellow worker what kind of knock off blades are those? I about died. I told the kid one thing when you go home tonight look up Miura on your computer or do it now on your smart phone you will see.They aint no knock offs! I also have another friend who is an accomplished player in his own right and he has played the same set of Vega blades for 5 or 6 years and they are beat up (hell he plays a lot) and he gets some strange looks at bag drops too!! My clubs are not as exotic but I do get some strange looks too I play a set of Infiniti TS-10 forged CBs and from what I have been told by 3 dealers here I have the only set on the beach and what adds to mine is that mine have a custom sole grind from the factory. Mainstream people just do not know!!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Ones game makes him intimidating not the clubs he uses...

It just takes money to buy expensive stuff...when someone shows up with a 10k bag and shoots avg...people think exactly what it is....some dude with money spent a bunch to look like he is a player....but one cannot hide behind fancy clubs and attire....truth comes out pretty quick

Most of the people around here think JDM means Srixon or Mizuno. I've got a set of Tourstage x-blade 701's and people think they're knockoffs especially with the black widow grips I have on them. I should've bid on a set of Traditional blades I saw on ebay...practically brand new and the end price was $355...that'll haunt me!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

The bags that scare me are the ones that are falling apart and can no longer even stand on their own, with dinged up woods with no covers, beat up irons, all sporting fresh grips, with a pocket full of premium balls. These bags are being flaunted trying to make you think they hold beat up outdated equipment and are carried by guys trying to find a money game.

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1423522591' post='10920147']
The bags that scare me are the ones that are falling apart and can no longer even stand on their own, with dinged up woods with no covers, beat up irons, all sporting fresh grips, with a pocket full of premium balls. These bags are being flaunted trying to make you think they hold beat up outdated equipment and are carried by guys trying to find a money game.
[/quote]

exactly this! i played with a buddy (who's like 0-2hc) and his "friend" one time... and his "friend's" bag was a all over the place - just beat up, the 7 iron didn't even match the set. i think he lost the original 7 iron or broke it or something and just threw some random one in there. the wedges were 2 or 3 different brands. nothing matched, no headcovers. he hit the ball really long, but hit the ball all over the place and yet still was able to score from anywhere. and they were playing a friendly game of $400.

I don't know if you'd initimidate anyone with JDM irons. You can get nice comments, particularly if you have one of the more interesting iron designs, such as Modart or Dance with Dragons, perhaps. The yorocraft Mizunos also usually get a couple of double takes from strangers.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I met this one guy out at Paradise golf course who joined our foursome and had a really beatup bag and his irons were a mis match set of junk clubs, I'm talking real junk from the 70s and early 80s and not main brand names.....he had a woman's driver and the trips were all various sizes. he told us that his grips were being redone at the pro shop and they lent him this bag to play. In addition this guy was smoking a ton of that hippie lettuce and his eyes were glazed over. He wanted to play for some cash and my friends were hesitant to take his money because they were very good college golfers and had played on nationwide and pga tour events....and i myself am a horrible golfer so i passed on the bet but he pushed the issue by saying he would play both my friends 2 on 1 but the odds would be 2:1 as well. Since the bet was only going to be $20 a hole, i thought it was friendly enough and took him up on it......haha and yes we lost $80 to that guy and at the end he said " Man, you guys dropped a 65, you guys are hustlers ! " Im not sure that guy would have shot with a real set of golf clubs but he hit some amazing shots with the junk in his bag.
* for you music guys, the gentleman supposedly laced the track for "I've got 5 on it"

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1421373278' post='10754483']
Has anyone ever been intimidated by the contents of someone else's bag? Any beginner with money can assemble a 10k bag of JDM equipment. Where I live, hardly anyone knows that JDM exists.
[/quote]

I've played with the odd person in Texas who showed me the handgun he was carrying around in his bag, that's sorta intimidating.

[/quote]

I played a round a few years ago on vacation in Hawaii with a local. My wife drove the cart. Around the 9th hole, he pulls out a machete from his bag, and my wife and I sort of freak out, like "are we going to die?!!". Turns out he used the machete to cut a coconut from a tree and drink the milk. He offered to cut one down for us too, but we passed...

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

[quote name='95124hacker' timestamp='1424904038' post='11028545']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1421373278' post='10754483']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I played a round a few years ago on vacation in Hawaii with a local. My wife drove the cart. Around the 9th hole, he pulls out a machete from his bag, and my wife and I sort of freak out, like "are we going to die?!!". Turns out he used the machete to cut a coconut from a tree and drink the milk. He offered to cut one down for us too, but we passed...
[/quote]

Lol!

I probably would have indulged to be honest with you!

• 2 weeks later...

The JDM SLDR is intimidating, just looks mean!

Titleist TSR 4 - Autoflex SF 505XX

Burner Mini - Autoflex SF505XX

Cally Apex UW - Ventus TR RED 7x

Ping G430 3H - Ventus HY Blue 8x 

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Axiom 105x

Hi-Toe 3 52/MG3 TW 60 - S400TI 

Odyssey Ai Milled Eleven DB w/Stability Tour 

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1422105381' post='10808789']
That is funny and true. What is really funny is that depending on what putter I am gaming well, if it is my studio, they are more confused like this dude has $300 putter and knockoff clubs?? What the hell?
[/quote]

I get the exact same reaction. TEE FW woods, Miura 1957s, Yururi wedges and a CT Cameron??? WTF??? I've even had people tell me that Cameron is a fake because, "Scotty would never put a RAT on his putters!" Yeah, oh well, I like it so... I don't mind my knock off discount store irons with aluminum shafts either.

Qi10 LS 9 Ventus Blue+ 6x / Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P7MC 3-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My (old) WITB Thread