SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Course finally opened yesterday and I got a chance to test the red and black. I chipped and putted with them for about 30 mins followed by 9 holes. I am only going to comment on the short game and feel as it was very cold and my ball striking was atrocious :stink:

Putting- As stated by a few others, the red has a little bit more of a clicky sound to it but I actually prefer that. The black feels very very smooth off the putter face and does not have any type of a click, very soft feel when putting.

Chipping/Pitching- I was able to check both balls very well, but I did notice that the red was spinning a little more for me, which I preferred. I didn't notice much of a feel difference on pitch or chip shots between the two of them. Both felt soft and had a crisp feel when struck well.

My buddy who played with me is an avid user of "the #1 ball in golf". I gave him a couple of both balls to which he replied "What are these? I've never heard of them" I just said shut up and try them. Well, by the end of the round he agreed to split a pack of 6 dozen reds with me :taunt:

We have both found our ball for the year and are pretty stoked!

I'm not one bit surprised. Dean Snell has done his homework and is making a move on the market. His biggest obstacle is the "fanboy" syndrome.

to be fair, the two new offerings seem to be great but i really wish a true blind test could be done. Remove all logos and markings, number them to keep track, then test them and see who comes out the winner. i think all the companies are putting out good stuff and it is super hard to tell the difference.

I would 100% be up for that challenge....

Course finally opened yesterday and I got a chance to test the red and black. I chipped and putted with them for about 30 mins followed by 9 holes. I am only going to comment on the short game and feel as it was very cold and my ball striking was atrocious :stink:

Putting- As stated by a few others, the red has a little bit more of a clicky sound to it but I actually prefer that. The black feels very very smooth off the putter face and does not have any type of a click, very soft feel when putting.

Chipping/Pitching- I was able to check both balls very well, but I did notice that the red was spinning a little more for me, which I preferred. I didn't notice much of a feel difference on pitch or chip shots between the two of them. Both felt soft and had a crisp feel when struck well.

My buddy who played with me is an avid user of "the #1 ball in golf". I gave him a couple of both balls to which he replied "What are these? I've never heard of them" I just said shut up and try them. Well, by the end of the round he agreed to split a pack of 6 dozen reds with me :taunt:

I'm not one bit surprised. Dean Snell has done his homework and is making a move on the market. His biggest obstacle is the "fanboy" syndrome.

to be fair, the two new offerings seem to be great but i really wish a true blind test could be done. Remove all logos and markings, number them to keep track, then test them and see who comes out the winner. i think all the companies are putting out good stuff and it is super hard to tell the difference.

I would 100% be up for that challenge....

Dean, why don't you ask WRX to conduct the test? I am sure many wrx'rs like myself would do such test all day long.

Played today (mostly) with the MTB Blacks. (Had 3 rounds prior with Red).

Off the driver, long irons - I really could not perceive a difference - both feel great...not too firm / not to mushy. Both are long. For me = no difference

Short irons - Again feel was pretty much the same for me, I could not tell one way or the other if one was firmer/mushier than the other.

However, to me, there are 2 main differentiators with these balls.

#1 = Short iron spin on the Red is phenomenal. Black is what I would call 'normal' (my past ball was Chrome Soft). On good hits, Reds stayed put - Blacks rolled out a normal distance. On a few thin shots, the Red seemed to not go on a 'long adventure'.

#2 = Putting feel (no insert putter). The Blacks felt good (and I like a soft feeling ball when putting) but I felt as if they were a bit 'jumpy' off the putter face, even though the sound/feel was more of a deeper thud. This is very similar behavior to Chrome Soft. I could get used to it, sure, I liked putting with Chrome Softs for 3 years...but I just felt like the Reds were more controllable, and that leads me to more confidence. There is a bit of a firmer click with the Reds that I thought I would not like at first - but during normal round play, I do enjoy the Red better (much better than the Chrome Soft too!)

I like the Reds better for chipping as well - but this was tough to decipher right now - tough conditions with soggy ground and matted down grass - but I think when the grass grows, the spinnier Reds will be even better.

For me - with my swing and wants - the Red wins out, without a doubt. But I could honestly say that I would be happy playing the Black. New irons are on the way next week - I'll do another test in case my iron spin characteristics are different.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Like this? (original MTB)

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Just curious what model and year was playing, the 2017 V or X?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Nothing in this post about performance, as I already have found that the MTB is every bit as good as any tour ball out there, but I found something that in my test pack that I really appreciated. I noticed that Dean wrote a personal "Thanks" for buying the golf balls. Little stuff like that shows the difference between Snell and the big box guys, and will likely make me a repeat customer. Thanks, Dean.

Course finally opened yesterday and I got a chance to test the red and black. I chipped and putted with them for about 30 mins followed by 9 holes. I am only going to comment on the short game and feel as it was very cold and my ball striking was atrocious :stink: Putting- As stated by a few others, the red has a little bit more of a clicky sound to it but I actually prefer that. The black feels very very smooth off the putter face and does not have any type of a click, very soft feel when putting. Chipping/Pitching- I was able to check both balls very well, but I did notice that the red was spinning a little more for me, which I preferred. I didn't notice much of a feel difference on pitch or chip shots between the two of them. Both felt soft and had a crisp feel when struck well. My buddy who played with me is an avid user of "the #1 ball in golf". I gave him a couple of both balls to which he replied "What are these? I've never heard of them" I just said shut up and try them. Well, by the end of the round he agreed to split a pack of 6 dozen reds with me :taunt: We have both found our ball for the year and are pretty stoked!
Like this? (original MTB)

similar, but i would just make it a larger sample size and more scientific. launch monitor data, etc.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

From what I have read...Original MTB compression was in the 80-85 range

Both the newer Red and Black have compression in the 75-80 range

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Nothing in this post about performance, as I already have found that the MTB is every bit as good as any tour ball out there, but I found something that in my test pack that I really appreciated. I noticed that Dean wrote a personal "Thanks" for buying the golf balls. Little stuff like that shows the difference between Snell and the big box guys, and will likely make me a repeat customer. Thanks, Dean.

Agreed! Small pieces of customer service like that speak volumes about a company and where their priorities are.

Just curious what model and year was playing, the 2017 V or X?

2017 ProV1

OK, so I've been lurking in the shadows playing through my stockpile of golf balls. I've been interested in the Snell ball after reading almost all of the posts here. My thinking is Dean has put together a quality product at a reasonable price with performance equaling anything else on the market. Enough kissy talk, here's my thoughts after playing 72 holes with the MTB Red. Used one ball for 54 and just pulled out another today for last 18 holes.

About me, I'm 66 but still move the ball pretty well. On average I hit the driver about 255 or so with a 7 iron in the 160 range. Sorry, not GolfWRX long but it works for me. Using the MTB Red for the last 4 rounds my scores are 73, 68, 69, and 71. I noticed my drives are a bit longer, probably 7-10 yards. Also noticed the ball launches a bit lower for me off the driver. The biggest difference for me has been with hybrids and fairway metals. A significant distance increase there of 10-12 yards per club. Using my 3 hybrid today I almost knocked it on a par 5 from about 240 from a dodgy lie.

The short game is something where I can live or die with the action of the ball and the Red does not disappoint. Nice check on the short pitches and chips and a drop and stop action for me from longer pitches. That's what I want, for it to stop when I want it to stop. Using an Odyssey 7 Center shaft putter and it feels fine off the putter.

How can I best describe the MTB Red? It does everything well with no real shortcomings. It's best feature is probably the value received for the money spent. You got me, Dean. I'll be playing this one for a while.

Dean, what is your take on Ksig 3 piece? I say it is Costco version of Chrome Soft or Gamer Urethane.

Not a nice question. That's like asking the Pepsi guy what he thinks of Coke products.

often truth hurts. It may not be nice to hear. Pepsi guy may speak the truth of Coke products.

I just am asking for an expert's truest opinion. The second sentence is my opinion. For the record, Dean has made some comment about ksig.

Dean, what is your take on Ksig 3 piece? I say it is Costco version of Chrome Soft or Gamer Urethane.

Not a nice question. That's like asking the Pepsi guy what he thinks of Coke products.

often truth hurts. It may not be nice to hear. Pepsi guy may speak the truth of Coke products.

I just am asking for an expert's truest opinion. The second sentence is my opinion. For the record, Dean has made some comment about ksig.

Yes but no matter what Dean's answer would be he would be perceived as "bashing" the Ksig. Lose, Lose.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I'm sad to say that my Red ball did not survive hole #91. It now swims with the fishes!

A moment of silence everyone. RIP

I'm thinking Dean can't comment. I'm thinking that Dean designed the original KSIG or co-designed. DISCLAIMER - I have no inside info, just an avid conspiracy theorist....

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Played again, I have to say I still very impressed. The ball is very durable and plays extremely well. The red from tee to green is just... amazing. I absolutely love the very penetrating flight I get with that ball. Around the green I wish that I could get the spin of the black. The black is very good as well it just flies a little higher and today playing in windier conditions I felt the Black was affected more. Around the green though the black is money. Both of these in my opinion are huge upgrades from the original.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Happy Masters Weekend.. couple of answers to some of your questions..

Canada is on plan to have new golf balls models in May... logistics are in process now and the balls will be arriving there hopefully by end of April, first week of May.... as for the Kirkland questions, I will not comment on the ball or performance.. i will say we have tested it, and I really look forward to the comments from anyone trying it...will say this, it is not even close the the original, but I will let everyone who wants to try it see for themselves...

...as for the Kirkland questions, I will not comment on the ball or performance.. i will say we have tested it, and I really look forward to the comments from anyone trying it...will say this, it is not even close the the original, but I will let everyone who wants to try it see for themselves...

Are you referring to the 4-piece or 3-piece? I'll assume the former as you reference the "original"?

...as for the Kirkland questions, I will not comment on the ball or performance.. i will say we have tested it, and I really look forward to the comments from anyone trying it...will say this, it is not even close the the original, but I will let everyone who wants to try it see for themselves...

Are you referring to the 4-piece or 3-piece? I'll assume the former as you reference the "original"?

That's what i understood too.

the price tells ya the 3 piece isnt equal to the original ksig?? wouldnt you say, just look at the MTB black and RED...3 and 4 piece but same price..
made in China vs Made in Korea. You are probably correct however for some players the softer feel of the K3 might be a winner.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow