2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

I agree that the durability is fantastic on these, 3 rounds in and I’m a huge fan already.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 9°
Fairway Wood: Sub 70 Pro 14°

Hybrid: Callaway Apex, 20°
Irons: Ping i210 4-PW

Wedges: 50° Sub 70, 54° Sub 70, 58° TaylorMade Hi-Toe

Putter: EVNROLL ER2B

Ball: Snell MTB Black/Snell MTB-X

GPS/Rangefinder: Precision Pro NX7 Pro

Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite

I know there was few instances with too much spin off driver for original MTB. Safe to assume red fixes it a bit and black has lesser spin than red?

with all due respect, IMO, most likely it would have had been your swing generating too much spin off driver than original MTB. From many WRXers including myself, lower driver spin and longer distance have been the YUGE benefit of Snell MTB.

If you compare MTB to those rock-hard distance balls, it is not fair competition.

I would've said same thing if someone asked but I just came back from a round and I still noticed the excess spin from mtb. I switched to black after 2 holes and I was hitting screamers.

I feel like some people are bit protective of this ball. No offense though.

Just out of curiosity, what tour ball yields low driver spin for you?

I swing downward on driver so pretty much all gives me low spin (low 2k rpm) but just that previous mtb gives me too much spin.

so far, black has been VERY impressive. I have Red to try but it'll be very hard to beat out Black.

I agree that the durability is fantastic on these, 3 rounds in and I’m a huge fan already.

I added another nine holes to each ball today. So now 54 on Red and 36 on black. Both still look very good (other than a cartpath scuff on black today, but I left it in play anyway). I'll keep using each one until they're too bad to play.

Still feeling red a little more for me. I did actually hit some greens today. Judging from distance between the ball mark and the ball, both appeared to have pretty similar results on the green. I do like the feel of black better off the putter.

I've been skimming through pages and pages but can't find the answer to this, so I'll ask. Forgive me if it's already been posted.

What other balls are the red and black comparable to? I'm looking for a new ball because I'm sick of paying close to $50/dz after tax. I currently go back and forth between the TP5/5X, Chrome soft x.

They're comparable to any of the urethane class tour ball. I find them all to be pretty interchangable. In that class there may be slight spin and launch characteristics, but the biggest difference is feel. I personally love the Chrome Soft. I also love the ProV1x. They feel significantly different but perform close enough that I am the variable. The Snell black and red are firmer than the Chrome Soft, but softer than the ProV1x. They perform as well as any ball on the market. If you're super ball sensitive, the only way to know is to give them a try. You can't beat the price for this level of performance.

Very well put. I get people wanting to play a certain brand for whatever reason. That means something to some people, whether it's vanity, loyalty, superstition or just tradition. What really gets me is the people on wrx who act like the gap between one tour level ball and another is the difference between a tour level ball and a Top Flight XL7000 with road rash and they are so honed in that playing anything other than their one true love will result in catastrophic consequences. I personally like to try out a lot of different balls, and I have quite a collection at the moment. But, if I had to choose a brand to be loyal to right now, it's snell. Great balls, great pricing, and great community involvement here.

I guess I wasn't so much hung up on brand as just looking to get a comparison so I know what I'm dealing with when testing. For example, is one version more like an X version and the other the regular version? Which one is supposed to spin more, launch higher, feel softer etc? Do they compare to a more popular ball, too? I've never played them, just trying to get an idea of what they're like.

Dean provided feedback in the thread. The RED is more spin on approach shots and the BLACK will be a bit longer off the tee....so to speak. It appears based on comments in this thread from people testing they are both close. Your best bet is to buy a trial pack and play both to see if you like them.

I can't speak for joliver, but from reading his posts it sounds like how do they compare?

Like is the black like a pro v1, softer feel lower launch and spin.

Red being firmer but spinning more like the pro v1x.

So with that being said is that possibly a true statement?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

I've noticed a lot of questions asking how these balls compare to other balls, which is understandable. We typically evaluate most things by comparison. Personally, I always feel like it's a disservice to compare the product of someone's hard work to the top name brand balls everyone is trying to beat or improve upon, but in this case I feel like it's necessary and I'm sure Dean doesn't mind.

I feel like the MTB black feels, plays and looks like the ProV1s of old when the compressions weren't jacked all the way up.

Driver Distance/Spin

The driver distance is as good as any ball you'll hit. The driving distances for golf balls across the board do not vary much at all, regardless of the perception to the contrary. There have been some discussions about spin off the driver. I tend to have more than average spin on my drives bc of my AOA. The black, and Red for that matter, do not have much spin off the driver. They are exceptional off the tee. Anecdotal evidence: I play the same couple courses and hit the exact same sports each time. I hit a great drive where I normally aim on a particular hole and it was where I normally end up, maybe slightly longer than when I play big box ball.

Putter feel

(One thing I never see mentioned when people review this aspect of balls is the putter they are using. Each insert or lack of insert will produce a drastically different feel from person to person. If you use the exact same putter for each test, the difference between each ball should be relative, but this is the WRX and no one just uses one putter! Full disclosure, I used a Ping Anser 4 black nickel or something like that. It's old and it's just metal. No insert)

I feel like both of these balls have a medium to medium soft firmness off the putter. Not marsh mellow soft where you can't really get a feel for how you hit it, but not Prov1x brick firmness either. I went and hit putts with some Bridgestone BXS, Prov1x, chrome soft and MTB RED and MTB Black. In order of firmness I would say Prov1x was very firm, BXS was a little softer than the 1X, the Snells were 3rd softest with the chrome soft being the softest, but not by a wide margin IMO. I really enjoy where these balls fall in the firmness category. It feels like a happy medium.

Look

MTB Black- Absolutely beautiful ball. It has that classic shade of white/off white everyone loves. Graphics are sharp. Only so much you can say here. Very durable ball as well. I cannot emphasize that enough. Someone that posted above me highlighted the durability better than I can with pictures.

Red (white version)- There's been some rumblings about how the MTB Red looks compared to the Black. We all know by now that it's because of the cast urethane cover vs the TPU. It honestly doesn't bother me a bit. It's just a little shinier. The MTB RED in optic yellow is my absolute favorite ball right now. That shade of yellow is awesome. If you think the shade of yellow is trivial, go read through the many threads about the best color yellow in a golf ball on WRX. We'll wait until you get back.

Short Game Spin

Each ball had more than enough spin. As much spin as any ball mentioned in this thread. Again, I hate to compare to specific balls bc I think it marginalizes their work, but the MTB Black is every bit as good in this area as the current ProV1 all the way back to the 2014. I only mention the 2014 bc I bought a bunch of them on the cheap a while ago.

The Red ball did seem to have a little more check than the black, which is to say it bit hard on short game shots. We had some super hard and fast greens a few weeks ago down in here NWFlorida and the yellow performed perfectly. In summation, they fuggin spin with the best of them.

I was going to get into iron spin, but I honestly don't know how to even quantify that appropriately unless you have a launch monitor. Neither ball surprised me on spin. The red seemed to launch a littler higher off the irons than the black for me, but each held greens (when I hit them)

If you do not read anything I wrote above, or just don't care what I said, please listen to what I am about to say.

If you are on this thread and have not tried either of these balls yet, you should just take the leap and buy a test pack. You are clearly interested if you are reading and/or commenting on this thread and you clearly love golf and tinkering because you are a WRX'er. These balls are some of the best balls you can buy and quite frankly, it's a cheap way to tinker with your golf game. Tinkering is fun. That's why we are WRX'ers

Anyone know how the MTB Black compares to Srixon Q-Star Tour?

MTB black is so much better in many ways for me.

Spins perfectly, and feeling is SO much better. QST was very hard. I loved Z-star so I had high expectation for QST but it was a total let down.

For me, I experienced way more side spin from qst. I like the feel and look but original MTB flew straighter than qst. also, Snell is cheaper considering tax & shipping.

Anyone know how the MTB Black compares to Srixon Q-Star Tour?

MTB black is so much better in many ways for me.

Spins perfectly, and feeling is SO much better. QST was very hard. I loved Z-star so I had high expectation for QST but it was a total let down.

For me, I experienced way more side spin from qst. I like the feel and look but original MTB flew straighter than qst. also, Snell is cheaper considering tax & shipping.

It's funny how, when the QTS first game out, everyone was loving the ball. Now, there's a few haters out there. In my opinion, never stock up on any ball. In a few months, you may not like it or something better is always around the corner.

Nine more holes with black (scuff and all). Still in very playable shape. 45 holes now on the black, 54 on the red

I actually hit a couple greens today to see how it did. Two nine irons both checked up nicely. Three or four feet from the ball mark. Even a low(ish), hard drawing five iron only ran out 15'-20'. Good showing for the black today, now I'm back to not being sure on which one I like better. I do think I've decided I like the black better off the putter and red better with the driver.

I keep debating about breaking out a new ball for the next round, but now I kind of want to see how many holes I can get on each one.

I am testing the csx for here and just found that amazon sells the mtb red with same day delivery so I ordered a dozen and hopefully can get at least a quick nine in to compare this week. Should be fun since the mrs bought me ap2s for my bday and those irons have my spin at the right numbers so I’m sure I can get some good results.

Nine more holes with black (scuff and all). Still in very playable shape. 45 holes now on the black, 54 on the red

I actually hit a couple greens today to see how it did. Two nine irons both checked up nicely. Three or four feet from the ball mark. Even a low(ish), hard drawing five iron only ran out 15'-20'. Good showing for the black today, now I'm back to not being sure on which one I like better. I do think I've decided I like the black better off the putter and red better with the driver.

I keep debating about breaking out a new ball for the next round, but now I kind of want to see how many holes I can get on each one.

You sound like one of my buddies. I swear he'll play the same ball till it isn't round anymore.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

You sound like one of my buddies. I swear he'll play the same ball till it isn't round anymore.

I'm usually not quite this bad. But now I'm kind of curious how much I can get out of these.. I'll play red tomorrow, put it back in the lead!

One thing I noticed again today. When we all hit good drives I was at most 10 yards ahead of the other two, normally there's a bit more separation, and I think there was when I played the red. I do think it is longer for me with driver.

I will not play a ball I sense is out of round but I have played the same ball so long many times that the brand name has become unreadable.

When you hit it as poorly as I did today, out of round might have helped it!

Played a round with the Reds today. See my previous post yesterday about my first time playing with the Reds (I was short all day with approach shots - thought I might just shelve the balls and move on).

I gave them another chance today - It was a little warmer, a little less windy (but still wind).

My mindset was different today - after being short on approaches all day yesterday, I took more club today when in doubt.

I will say - the reds 'really' 'really' surprised me (pleasantly) today.

I am not a high spin player, I never ever spin the ball back (once in awhile on a receptive green if I hit into a slope). This is coming from Chrome Softs (high spin) and Volvik S3 (high spin). Today I hit more greens by playing to the exact flag distance and every green or fringe hit resulted in the ball coming back 3" - 12". I never do that! 6-7 irons stopped dead in their tracks, 8-9-P came back a little - very consistently too, not just once in awhile.

It was a different way to play for me, mentally - I liked it after awhile. The greens were receptive due to all of the rain we had, but I can see even in hard conditions, I will get predictable short rollout.

Off the tee = fine, long enough compared to any other ball I play.

Chipping = same as previous day, really nice feeling ball, predictable.

Putting = excellent, I believe I am actually liking it more than Chrome Soft for putting (no insert putter)

I'll keep trying the Reds to see if I enjoy the ball stopping right where it lands - it is just a really different mindset for me as I could never do this before.

May try the Blacks which I assume would give me more conventional rollout.

You should have seen the looks on the guys I played with when they asked what kind of ball I was playing..."Snell"

- "What the heck is that"?

I gave them the story and earned their respect after they saw my approach shots throughout the day.

(also - I did play a few of the final holes with my other normal balls, they were rolling out their normal way on approaches - same shots as I was hitting with the Snells...so it is not my swing)

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Played the black today for 18. Still feels just a little softer to me. Can't really tell which one is longer.

Durability is very good. 45 holes on the red. 27 on the black. I think I'll play a black tomorrow.

what is your handicap?

Three.

18 more with the red today (72 now on that ball, still in very playable shape).

I think it's pretty close to confirmed that red is my preference of the two.

Played my first 18 with the MTB Black today. It was a warm day with very little wind. I did find I was generally longer with this ball than the original MTB. Spin into and around the green was very similar. Feel off the putter was very similar as well. Definitely performed as advertised. I am looking forward to comparing it with the Red when I get those in.

I played the Red for several holes today. It was ~50* with a gusty 15 mph wind.

I spin this ball a little too much which was evident when the wind had its way with it on numerous occasions. Down wind it was a beast and I hit a couple of very long drives with it, but into the wind was not good. Its possible the lack of distance off the driver could be a result of the chilly temps more than wind performance.

I will say its spin around the greens is nothing short of amazing. I hit a 20-25 yard pitch that took one small hop and then stopped in its tracks. It was awesome.

Hopefully we will have some warmer weather this week and I can get out and do more testing.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Red (white version)- There's been some rumblings about how the MTB Red looks compared to the Black. We all know by now that it's because of the cast urethane cover vs the TPU. It honestly doesn't bother me a bit. It's just a little shinier.

Thanks for pointing that out. i actually had no idea the Black was thermocast versus the Red being thermoplastic. Great piece of info there.

I've noticed a lot of questions asking how these balls compare to other balls, which is understandable. We typically evaluate most things by comparison. Personally, I always feel like it's a disservice to compare the product of someone's hard work to the top name brand balls everyone is trying to beat or improve upon, but in this case I feel like it's necessary and I'm sure Dean doesn't mind.

I feel like the MTB black feels, plays and looks like the ProV1s of old when the compressions weren't jacked all the way up.

Driver Distance/Spin

The driver distance is as good as any ball you'll hit. The driving distances for golf balls across the board do not vary much at all, regardless of the perception to the contrary. There have been some discussions about spin off the driver. I tend to have more than average spin on my drives bc of my AOA. The black, and Red for that matter, do not have much spin off the driver. They are exceptional off the tee. Anecdotal evidence: I play the same couple courses and hit the exact same sports each time. I hit a great drive where I normally aim on a particular hole and it was where I normally end up, maybe slightly longer than when I play big box ball.

Putter feel

(One thing I never see mentioned when people review this aspect of balls is the putter they are using. Each insert or lack of insert will produce a drastically different feel from person to person. If you use the exact same putter for each test, the difference between each ball should be relative, but this is the WRX and no one just uses one putter! Full disclosure, I used a Ping Anser 4 black nickel or something like that. It's old and it's just metal. No insert)

I feel like both of these balls have a medium to medium soft firmness off the putter. Not marsh mellow soft where you can't really get a feel for how you hit it, but not Prov1x brick firmness either. I went and hit putts with some Bridgestone BXS, Prov1x, chrome soft and MTB RED and MTB Black. In order of firmness I would say Prov1x was very firm, BXS was a little softer than the 1X, the Snells were 3rd softest with the chrome soft being the softest, but not by a wide margin IMO. I really enjoy where these balls fall in the firmness category. It feels like a happy medium.

Look

MTB Black- Absolutely beautiful ball. It has that classic shade of white/off white everyone loves. Graphics are sharp. Only so much you can say here. Very durable ball as well. I cannot emphasize that enough. Someone that posted above me highlighted the durability better than I can with pictures.

Red (white version)- There's been some rumblings about how the MTB Red looks compared to the Black. We all know by now that it's because of the cast urethane cover vs the TPU. It honestly doesn't bother me a bit. It's just a little shinier. The MTB RED in optic yellow is my absolute favorite ball right now. That shade of yellow is awesome. If you think the shade of yellow is trivial, go read through the many threads about the best color yellow in a golf ball on WRX. We'll wait until you get back.

Short Game Spin

Each ball had more than enough spin. As much spin as any ball mentioned in this thread. Again, I hate to compare to specific balls bc I think it marginalizes their work, but the MTB Black is every bit as good in this area as the current ProV1 all the way back to the 2014. I only mention the 2014 bc I bought a bunch of them on the cheap a while ago.

The Red ball did seem to have a little more check than the black, which is to say it bit hard on short game shots. We had some super hard and fast greens a few weeks ago down in here NWFlorida and the yellow performed perfectly. In summation, they fuggin spin with the best of them.

I was going to get into iron spin, but I honestly don't know how to even quantify that appropriately unless you have a launch monitor. Neither ball surprised me on spin. The red seemed to launch a littler higher off the irons than the black for me, but each held greens (when I hit them)

If you do not read anything I wrote above, or just don't care what I said, please listen to what I am about to say.

If you are on this thread and have not tried either of these balls yet, you should just take the leap and buy a test pack. You are clearly interested if you are reading and/or commenting on this thread and you clearly love golf and tinkering because you are a WRX'er. These balls are some of the best balls you can buy and quite frankly, it's a cheap way to tinker with your golf game. Tinkering is fun. That's why we are WRX'ers

Honestly I don't think comparing them to other top brands maragalizes the Snell balls, but just shows that it can hang with any of the top tier balls but at a fraction of the cost. If anything I can only see that being as a positive thing....

Regardless thanks for the thorough review though.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style