2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Got my MTB Blacks yesterday, what a ball..perfect feel with putter, chipped with them a little, stopped on a dime, granted it was wet, but still think it will stop well on dry grounds...def softer feel then the original MTB, not by much...great job Dean!!

Any other differences to original mtb

definitely softer when putting and chipping...but i am sure it will carry over to driver and hybrid shots...i am not a scratch golfer so I am not a high spin player with wedge. I love the fact that it is a little lower spin then the original, can only help most golfers off tee and irons, i have always thought that the original MTB was on the cusp of cover hardness for me, any harder, I wouldnt play it, so comes the MTB Black, softer feeling, exactly what i wanted....the red from what ia have heard is higher spin off all clubs, so it kinda scares me in that may hurt me. I dont have the low handi game, so less spin helps me, but i know around the greens it help me when i need it to check for a mid handi like me..at the price point its just a great ball i think for all handi's....i dont know if its just me, but i love a urethane ball...i like what Dean has done with his company, so i am going to be a loyalist per say, cuz in the past i have played so many balls, i want to stick with one ball.

Time for some MTB Black in yellow.

I have a feeling that might be what I want for next winter.

I'll get to try out both new balls next week including the MTB Red in yellow. If the MTB Black has the same greenside spin as before but less off the tee I will play it. I went to TP5 because I thought it had better driver spin than the MTB.

Got my test pack yesterdayy. I've never tried Snell balls before so looking forward to giving them a try once our season starts.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Got a box of mtb reds to try. Definitely wish matte finish were possible. They are very glossy. If they play well enough I can adjust I guess but glossy is not my favorite. Matte is beautiful.

Hey guys. I see a few of you are mentioning a "matte finish". I've been a member here approaching a decade in just a couple week, but this is the first time I can recall members wanting what's considered a "matte finish". What are you guys referring too? Are you saying you do not care for the shine of cover/paint/clear coat? Or are you wanting to see other colors vs white and yellow....? Not sure what you guys are talking about?

I've never played a Snell ball before. I've always bounced back and forth every 3-4 months between Pro V1/X, until this year's Pro V1 which I was fit into on the WRX Titleist trip over the summer. It's been the best ball for "me" in years. BUT, I ordered the trial pack about 3 days or so ago, I'm excited to try them out. I think the Black may fit me best but will see after testing (maybe the red will fit me better who knows), and honestly I hope I like them because of the price and ease of getting them.

Plus I'm a sucker for the small companies, Scratch, TP Mills, Byron Morgan, etc.

There were some Asian balls first and now several USA brands with (mostly Surlyn but a few urethane) models in a finish containing microscopic particles of some sort of silicacate substance. The effect is absolutely no glare and an intensely saturated color that looks quite different from any glossy finished ball you’ve ever seen. The visibility is better while in flight than a similar color conventional (glossy) ball.

Are they really more visible or is it just marketing?

Hi guys....which ball spins more off driver MTB red or black? Thanks.

Both balls have been designed for low driver spin.. the MTB RED is similar to the original MTB spin rate off driver, while the new MTB BLACK is slightly lower than original MTB... from our testing and feedback we received from test panels, both balls have been within a 100-150 rpm of spin off driver, and both low spin for long driver distances...

that is quite insignificant. in reality, pretty much the same driver spin rate.

I'm not seeing that, I'm seeing much more spin on course off of the Driver and mid irons as evidenced by ball flight and distances.

when will new MTB be available be rockbottom? or any other retailers?

They won't. Direct ship from Snell.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I haven't had the chance yet to play a full round with the Red, but I was able to spend a good bit of time on Saturday working on the short game. They stop very well on all different kinds of shots around the green, and feel great off the putter.

Hoping to play a full round at the end of the week to see how they are on drives and approach shots.

i got an email that the order i placed shipped so i should be getting mine soon. Not that it matters. there is snow everywhere and it is freezing cold.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

when will new MTB be available be rockbottom? or any other retailers?

They won't. Direct ship from Snell.

Yeah why not just order them from the main source? It's $31.99 and no shipping...,

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

My test pack arrived today and I had a chance to get out for 9 before the rain started. Its a very small sample, I plan to play the black exclusively this weekend, having had sometime now with the red and order a six pack of one of them on Monday. From today I played one of each on all nine holes, for me the red has the advantage in every aspect except driver, the black definitely flew lower. Today with some wind it resulted in longer drives. I wouldn't call it an advantage but the black also felt softer off the putter. I like both balls I could play either and be happy, but the red really has some action on approach shots, the black played similar to the MTB on approach shots.

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

Looks like a 60* day tomorrow, I might be able to break out a couple and give them a try.

Jealous- got about a foot of snow today and will be cold for a while. No golf here in Eastern PA for a few weeks.

I feel your pain. Seems lately just as the snow is close to being gone, we get hit again. But it looks a like a few days might be playable. Just have to deal with the winds now. It was a very calm 20mph today (down from 35 yesterday). But I’m not complaining!

Test pack received and carpet putting commenced. I was able to consistently differentiate one from the other and definitely have a preference for one off the putter. I have guess which I'll like better based on this and other initial reports. Will test next week!

Putting with Bettinardi Hogan baby Ben:

Softest to firmest: chrome soft, tp5/MTB black tie, pro v1, MTB red.

Distance control best to worst for me: mtb black/chrome soft tie, tp5, MTB red, pro v1.

I really hope I like one of these and even if I don't I still might but some and definitely push to playing partners. What other CEO signs the packing slip saying thank you?

I also got my test pack. The red is def louder. I also noticed the balls covers look very different. The MTB Red cover is like a bright white, looks really cheap compared to the black which has the look of your typical urethane covered ball. Anyone else notice this? I wish I'd have gone all black, but that's what a test pack is for!

I also got my test pack. The red is def louder. I also noticed the balls covers look very different. The MTB Red cover is like a bright white, looks really cheap compared to the black which has the look of your typical urethane covered ball. Anyone else notice this? I wish I'd have gone all black, but that's what a test pack is for!

Dean explains why in this video.

The red and black have different cover technology which determines how they have to coat/paint each ball. The blacks have two coats of clear coat with white pigment, whereas the red have two coats of clear coat with no white pigment. The reds are soooo good

My blacks shipped out the 5th and saying 11 days to get to Louisiana. Damn!!! They must be coming by horse. I’m glad I still got a few old mtb’s left. I am ready to play these though.

My original delivery date was the 10th but were delivered yesterday in PA, a week from shipping date. Hold on! Real hard to bizz about free shipping...

Dean explains why in this video.

The red and black have different cover technology which determines how they have to coat/paint each ball. The blacks have two coats of clear coat with white pigment, whereas the red have two coats of clear coat with no white pigment. The reds are soooo good

I am also developing a new paint system for the RED to improve on the color/look... samples due in this week, so hopefully after testing we will be ready to transition over.. but as the video states, two different processes and two completely different paint systems will give a different look...

I have to say after getting a box of reds (despite my large supply of Kirklands) I am very impressed. Snowed this morning in Ohio...again... so I haven’t been outside but have hit through the bag comparing the two on a gcquad and the reds are equal with more spin on shorter shots 105yds and in vs kirklands (which is still do love). Generally only 300-400 more rpm but that is quite a bit. Could be strike related as with anyone not a pro or computer. But I am a 4 and pretty consistent. The gloss is not as hard to look at after that. And actually side by side with kirklands at least it isn’t that different. Like them a lot. Now if I could just start playing more to use up the supply.

Snell Canada only offers last yr.'s MTB and Get Sum. Guess we have to wait for the new ones!? Not that we can golf yet. Another 4 weeks I think?! :(

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

TP5

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Dean, I don’t think the reds look bad the way they are. Definitely more of a pure white, it’s been making it easier to identify my ball when it’s next to one of my playing partners. I played just black yesterday, it was rather windy and I wanted to see how it played in the wind. Was pleased with the results and like the feel of it a little more than the red but I think the red plays better for my game.

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime