2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

On 4/13/2023 at 8:01 PM, IdahoHacker said:

I had the same problem with marking the MTB Black.  Ink did not stay as well as other balls I have used.  I have a test pack coming - look forward to testing and all of the other testers views.  Not sure they will be my ball but love the whole idea of Snell - so want to support.

I never had an issue with Sharpie ink on the MTB Black. 

Played both the Prime and Prime X today and I’m in search of a new ball. Neither cut it for me. The feel around the green and putting is awful. Tee to green they both seem to perform just fine. The Prime X does not spin on approach shots. 

10 hours ago, TheBiles said:

I don't know if I got a bad batch or something, but I played with the Prime yesterday, and the ball just feels so hard and clicky.  It doesn't even feel like a urethane cover.  I need to compare the measureables on my SkyTrak, but it feels really bad off the putter.  I always played the MTB Black until the supply shortages, and I've been playing Maxfli Tours since then.  Both of them feel like butter compared to the Prime.

This is dead on. Short game feel is extremely harsh. The MTB Black feels like a marshmallow in comparison around the greens…tee to green I’d say the MTB Black and Prime do play similarly though

Played with the Prime yesterday. I hadn’t played in a month and wasn’t at my best, but the ball performed well. The jury is out on if it stays in play. While it feels somewhat softer, it reminded me of a Pro V1 a few generations ago that always felt like it required an aggressive swing on full shots. Like it was semi soft on the cover but took effort to activate the core.

It’s definitely not the MTB Black and doesn’t resemble the TP Red that I hoped it would favor. 

It pitches, chips and putts very predictably. I really like the green side performance. Durability is good through a full round. 

After a couple more rounds I’ll post my experience with it. 

• Like 2

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I will add that I did notice a lower more penetrating ball flight. I could still launch one high, but it’s much easier to flight down. 

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I just received my test pack.  Put my marker on them and ready to go.  Based upon what I am reading - I think the X will be a bit firmer than I like.  Playing the V1 that I left the MTB Black for when supply issue hit.  Like the feel of the V1.

will report back after I get them out.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 - 9 degree w/Tensei AV Orange S 65
Ping 5 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75

Ping 7 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75
Titleist TSi2 21 
Ping i525 - AWT 2.0 Stiff + .25” - Green Dot (5-GW)
Ping Glide 4.0 (54 & 58)
Sub 70 Sycamore 005 Wide Blade / Ping Anser2
Pro V1

Played the front 9 of my usual course with a Prime and back 9 with a Prime X yesterday.  They are not going to move Titleist and Bridgestone from the bag. 

From my experience only... Driving for both seemed shorter than I am used to from Bridgestone and Titleist (10 to 15 yards short of where I normally hit approaches).  Mid and short iron spin is nowhere as good as B or T.  I hit a lot of good approach shots that would normally land and stop.  With both Prime and Prime X these shots had way too much roll out.  These are the bads.

Chipping and putting...  I really liked the feel of the Prime off of 30 yard and in chips and off the putter.  Prime X was almost as good.

As far as ball flight - Prime lower and Prime X higher - they both seemed to fly the same for me.  The only real difference I noticed was the soft vs firm of Prime vs Prime X.

• Like 1

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

Always enjoy reading the posts / reviews based on one round or 9 holes or bouncing the ball off the cement in your garage. Sheer entertainment. 

That, "Wow...the ball feels / flies / looks like...." never ceases to amaze me when trying a new product while on course for the first hole from driver to approach to putting. But by the 3rd or 4th hole, I'm adjusted and not surprised much any more. 

But I may be weird, too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Stanks said:

Always enjoy reading the posts / reviews based on one round or 9 holes or bouncing the ball off the cement in your garage. Sheer entertainment. 

That, "Wow...the ball feels / flies / looks like...." never ceases to amaze me when trying a new product while on course for the first hole from driver to approach to putting. But by the 3rd or 4th hole, I'm adjusted and not surprised much any more. 

But I may be weird, too. 

sounds like describing a new girl friend

Got my test pack this weekend and was excited to finally get out with them yesterday.

A little history, I have not bought any balls but Snell for at least the last 7 years (until Feb - Vice Variety Pack) and have been extremely pleased! Started playing the MTB and immediately loved it, tried the Red when they came out but did not like them as much and went back to the black. When the MTB-X came out I tried that and that has been my ball of choice since. I did not see much playable different between the MTB and the MTB-X but the X felt a little firmer off the putter (which I liked) and seemed to give me a couple more yards on well struck drive but hard to tell. I loved both balls. Not to the Prime.

So I played yesterday for the first time with the Prime (front 9) and Prime X (back 9) and will have to agree with the posters above -- the Prime X had a much different feel and sound than the Prime, it was "clicky" (to use another posters description) and I really did not like that. The X on the back nine 9 was not getting the distance off the tee that I was with the Prime on the front but that may be all me as I am not as consistent off the tee as I would like. The Prime (not X) was much softer sounding and felt much softer even than the old MTB balls. I did not see much difference in the general launch or spin between the two Prime balls but weather was not ideal (50 degrees and 15-20mph) and I only hit 6 greens but the two greens I did hit with a full iron the ball did sit down as expected.

I shot the same score on the front and the back with less putts on the back. 

The jury is still out but my general thoughts are -- I like the old balls much better for three reasons:

1. The old MTB-X was a firmer ball but not "clicky" as the new Prime X.
2. The old MTB was not as soft as the new Prime.

3. I am not sure what I am gaining (yet) with the new balls and I very comfortable with the distance and spin of the old MTB.

I love Snell and everything they stand for but will they stay in the bag with the new balls, I am really not sure -- which is hard to say after paying for nothing else the last 7+ years. I have nothing bad to say about the Prime (not X) other than I wish it felt a little firmer off the putter like the old MTB, feels more like a Pro V1 or Chrome Soft then the old MTB did. I would go with the Prime (not X) if I had to chose one of the two balls today.

I will use the new balls until they are gone (have not lost one yet) and will report back, but after that I will play out my two dozen Snell MTB-X and decide what to get next.

I also purchased a Vice Variety Pack in Feb when Snell was out of stock in case I needed to switch but have not tried anything other than the Pro Soft, which I only played because of the lower compression and it was in the mid 40s.

• Like 3

Ok - played another 9 holes today.  Couldn't help it.  Played the whole time with the Prime.  Again I'm coming from the MTB-X so the Prime is a lot "softer" - but the new Prime X just doesn't feel anywhere near as good as the MTB-X as others have stated. 

Reviews seem a little mixed so far.  I think the question, as always, has to relate the value inherent in the Snell.  I can get the Snell for as low as $29.99 a dozen.  I'll be interested to see reviews and comps pop up - not only to the "big boys" but also to price competitive balls.  

I think the Prime will be my ball unless actual good reviews with data show it to be sorely lacking in one area or another and there is another option similarly priced that is "better".  I hit some great shots today (a low saucy 54 degree wedge from 75 yards that I'll remember for awhile) and I don't know what I'd be getting paying $50-$55 a dozen for Titleist/TM/Srixon/Bridgestone instead.  

• Like 2

I have only chipped and rolled some putts with my test pack so far - so early observations. Will get them out in the course this weekend. 

For reference - I liked the previous MTB-Black. Switched to Pro-V1 when supply issues hit.  Have been toying around with the B-Stone BX & RX(early season cold weather ball).

Prime felt softer than than the Black or Pro-V1 on both chips and putts. X felt clicky off putter - ok chipping. Both checked up ok and overall spin seems fine.  

Will try them both again when I get them out on the course.  I am pretty sure that the X will not be a ball for me. Prime - maybe. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 - 9 degree w/Tensei AV Orange S 65
Ping 5 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75

Ping 7 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75
Titleist TSi2 21 
Ping i525 - AWT 2.0 Stiff + .25” - Green Dot (5-GW)
Ping Glide 4.0 (54 & 58)
Sub 70 Sycamore 005 Wide Blade / Ping Anser2
Pro V1

I was really hoping for glowing reviews from these balls..they seem like a good value. I’m always looking for an alternative ball that is better value and has 96-98% of the performance the ProV1. I was hoping Snell could get it done. Maybe they still can. 🤷‍♂️

PXG 0311 Gen 6 10.5* (Motore X F3 6S)

PXG ‘21 0211 3 & 5 wd (Tensei Blue 75S)

Callaway Mav Pro 4 Hybrid (KBS HYB 80S)

Wilson D9 Forged 5-G (DG105 S300)

Vokey SM8 54.12 and 60.08 (KBS 120 FLT)

TaylorMade Spider GT #3

Thanks to everyone, including what looks like some new members, for the reviews on the two balls.  I'd intended to order a test pack to try out, but haven't been able to do so yet.  I still have 4 boxes of the MTB-X and 2 of the Black, and that'll probably last me through the fall.  

I'm eager to try them, though.  My thoughts are from what I'm hearing is that it's definitely going to feel a lot different, which I was expecting.  But, I'm more adaptable to the ball than I am in changing clubs, so I'm sure that one of these will work just fine for me.  Probably the X.  

Played with the Prime X today. I’m a high swing speed who typically plays Maxfli Tour X and ProV1X. I actually played one of my best rounds ever today. The ball was pretty amazing from tee to green. Only downside was I play 52,56,60 Glide 4.0 wedges, and the cover was pretty destroyed after 9 holes. Had to use a second one. 

46 minutes ago, Arec80 said:

Played with the Prime X today. I’m a high swing speed who typically plays Maxfli Tour X and ProV1X. I actually played one of my best rounds ever today. The ball was pretty amazing from tee to green. Only downside was I play 52,56,60 Glide 4.0 wedges, and the cover was pretty destroyed after 9 holes. Had to use a second one. 

Damn, that stinks! you take any pics? how bad was it?

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

5 hours ago, Arec80 said:

Well that’s encouraging to hear. I suppose there are always trade offs. For what it’s worth, my SM8 wedges also put a hurting on my ProV1s. Maybe I’m doing it wrong. 😂

• Like 1

TaylorMade Spider GT #3

Played 9 holes yesterday with Prime. To me, the firmness is somewhere between a Pro V1 and Pro V1X. I play the V1 normally and it’s slightly firmer. It was windy but distances seem to be similar to the V1. Will have to play them side by side to confirm but nothing jumped out to me. To me, it seems the green side spin has improved vs. the old MTB black. The Prime seems to be on par or maybe even slightly better than the V1 here. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, B.Easy said:

Some of you guys are surely evaluating this ball off of emotion and nothing else.  I had such low expectations when I received my test pack, that I gave my 15 year old (6hcp) half of my box and told him to use them for practice rounds with his high school golf team.  I've been testing/playing them alongside the ZStar diamond, and 23 ProV1 & X.  Performance wise, I see no real difference between the premium balls.  Neither do I with durability.  Both spin a lot around the green.  AND, they do excellent in the wind that I've been dealing with every day.  Also, it's barely been 50 degrees here.  My son has used the X for 3 rounds straight and it still looks good.  His irons and wedges are new.  He loves them and wants to game the Prime X instead of his ProV1X's, due to the greenside spin.  Personally, I test every new thing that comes out, but rarely change out of my gamers.  If I did, the Prime would be on my short list.  This is objectively a good ball.

That’s good news!!  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

TaylorMade Spider GT #3

Just got in from playing 18 with the Prime/Prime-X - Front 9 with the Prime, back with the X.  Temps just under 50 with a delightfully brisk windchill.  Ok, it was cold.

Had no idea what to expect with the mixture of reviews, so went in with as much of a blank slate as I could.  Played the same single ball of all 9 holes each side.  They did have the opportunity to meet some of the local trees and cart paths.  Ended up 1 shot better on the back with the X - so call the scoring a wash.

Durability - as I said, they didn't just play on the grass. Both held up very well and will be in rotation for the next round. Pleased with durability. Couple of shallow scuffs, but nothing to impact my play.  The old X last year seemed to scuff more from the same trees.

From the Tee - edge to the X, slightly.  May have been due to the wind, but it behaved very well and tended to find the fairway more.  A little firmer in feel but nothing to take away of play.  My driver was put in time-out for a while, so 3-wood off the tee all day and played great.

Irons/Hybrids - draw - very close feel on both. Maybe a marginal distance edge to the Prime, but could also have been wind effect.

Pitch/Chips very pleased with both, slight edge to Prime as it felt a little more control on full wedges. Bump & run was a little nicer with the X.

Putting - Edge to the Prime. Felt softer for sure, but both rolled and distance control was very good with both balls.

Last year the Black was my preference except in the wind when the X would be in play.  This year, could go with either.  I'm leaning towards Prime for this year but want to get some warmer weather testing in as well.

• Like 4