2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

On 6/2/2023 at 7:16 AM, this_is_golf said:

How is the Get Sum ball? I’ve been looking into cheaper balls lately to test out. 

I like them and typically play them in spring/ fall when I switch from  the MTB models.  Found them to be long and with good feel, just not as good as the MTB models.  But during the shoulder seasons in New England they work very well and cost a lot less too.  Used the new version this spring and didn't notice much difference from the older model too.  For the money they are hard to beat overall.

• Thanks 1

I see a couple comments, but anyone find the cover less durable than the old snells.

I bought 5 dozen of the MTB Prime because I was such a fan of the MTB black, and while the ball seems fine, in the one round to date, a clean bunker shot really messed up the cover of the ball.

I switched to the MTB black in the past from the Vice Pro, because I found the the vice pro was great but not durable enough. Hoping I just got unlucky in one round, wondering if others have seen similar?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StiffTippedShaft said:

I see a couple comments, but anyone find the cover less durable than the old snells.

I bought 5 dozen of the MTB Prime because I was such a fan of the MTB black, and while the ball seems fine, in the one round to date, a clean bunker shot really messed up the cover of the ball.

I switched to the MTB black in the past from the Vice Pro, because I found the the vice pro was great but not durable enough. Hoping I just got unlucky in one round, wondering if others have seen similar?

Perhaps... I would need to do better testing side by side with MTB Black in yellow that I still have, but maybe paint is not as durable on Prime?

I think the cover itself is very durable, or at least it didn't split on me with hundreds of hits on a launch monitor, but looks kinda beat up overall. Every other ball would split before any other damage could occur. I was hitting Srixon, Maxfli, Vice Zero.

6 hours ago, StiffTippedShaft said:

Scroll up and look at previous posts. 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

8 hours ago, StiffTippedShaft said:

you might have prior generation Vice, the newer balls have great durability

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

13 hours ago, StiffTippedShaft said:

I just played the Prime this weekend.  Already decided it was not for me and brother same as the mtb which I loved.

I found the cover on the new prime to be less durable than the MTB.  

I have been playing the latest Vice Pro and really like it.  Very durable for me so far.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 - 9 degree w/Tensei AV Orange S 65
Ping 5 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75

Ping 7 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75
Titleist TSi2 21 
Ping i525 - AWT 2.0 Stiff + .25” - Green Dot (5-GW)
Ping Glide 4.0 (54 & 58)
Sub 70 Sycamore 005 Wide Blade / Ping Anser2
Pro V1

14 hours ago, StiffTippedShaft said:

First thing I noticed, unfortunately. Other than that, the MTB Prime is a great ball. 
The Vice Pro gets scratched up a little faster, though. Newest generation is a bit better, but still. The Prime really showed some damage after one full swing with a 58° from the fairway, and after a bunker shot where I got a little too much of the ball. That was clearly noticeable. 

I cannot comment yet on the distance loss some people here observe, but I like the ballflight and spin with irons and driver. My course has dried out a lot over the last few weeks, so there’s much more rollout and driver distance is tougher to compare. 

Check on pitch shots has been great, and putts feel solid, but need a bit more power than I’m used to from Vice Pro. 

Edited by LukeDonaldsTiger

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

On 6/12/2023 at 11:34 AM, StiffTippedShaft said:

The durability on the Vice Pro over the past few years is amazing.  I'll get through the round and it will be like new.  The Neon does wear a little more but it's the coloring and not the cover.  

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 7:53 AM, wantacigar said:

The durability on the Vice Pro over the past few years is amazing.  I'll get through the round and it will be like new.  The Neon does wear a little more but it's the coloring and not the cover.  

Thanks!, that's good to hear, I remember liking it if not for the cover.

With that said I loved the MTB-Black and have bought 50 more used ones. 

That should buy me some time to make any future decisions ha!

Edited by StiffTippedShaft
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 7:10 AM, Imp said:

I bought the 5 doz of the PrimeX when they were announced and have been pretty pleased with them so far. Feel about the same as the MTB-X, flight is slightly more controlled, distance about the same. I play a milled putter (MXM #7) and the sound to me is not much different to notice either. To me, performance, distance, control, feel... the same! 

My only nit is in cover durability. It's simply not as good. In the 3-4 rounds I've used them, I've taken more balls out of play into the shag bag than I feel I would have the MTBX. The MTBX used to be practically indestructible. Shots out of the sand with the PrimeX about 50-60% of the time will embed sand into the cover creating what I call a little "hangnail" type abrasion sticking out of the cover. Also, full wedge shots will create small lips over some of the contact dimple edges. Hitting tree branches also score the cover. 

That about sums up my experience so far. Will update if it changes.

I've been having this same durability result and came here to see if I'm the only one or not. The performance has been fine but the durability is disappointing. Your comments about sand and wedge shots are spot on for what I'm experiencing. I've played Snell since they first came out and for the first time, I'm considering switching due to the durability. 

• Sad 1

WITB:
Ping G425 LST with Tour AD-DI
Nike Vapor Flex 3 and 5 FW with Tour AD-DI
Ping i230 irons with Project X 6.0 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 55*, 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

1 hour ago, mcgrath22 said:

I've been having this same durability result and came here to see if I'm the only one or not. The performance has been fine but the durability is disappointing. Your comments about sand and wedge shots are spot on for what I'm experiencing. I've played Snell since they first came out and for the first time, I'm considering switching due to the durability. 

100% agree. Long time Snell user and the MTB x is the best ball I've ever played. Tried both the Prime and the Prime X and both got scuffed within a few holes. The MTB X I could go a whole round and still look great. I've got about a dozen MTB X left then I'm switching to Vice Pro Plus which for me is very similar to the MTB X but way more durable than the new Snell balls.

• Like 1

Disappointing to hear about the durability problems. I still have a few dozen MTB/ MTB x balls left and thankfully they are very durable and last quite a while. Very interested in the new balls but am reluctant to purchase if they are that poor durability wise. I think we need some sage advise from Dean S on this issue.

3 hours ago, Snell Golf said:

Hello.. Thanks for the all the feedback on the golf balls.  As I have always said in the past, I use the customer feedback and listen, then get to work.   As you can see from some of the comments, the durability of the cover is good for some, and not good for others... So I have been working on some solutions and improvements that will be coming soon as well.   In the interim,  for those players who have seen some issues with durability, we have some of the MTB BLACK and MTB X balls on line for sale.  We will have 2 doz and 4 doz loose golf balls for sale.  These are first quality Grade A balls, just shipped bulk without the packaging.   The are listed in the closeout section of the site.   For those who do not have any issues with durability, thanks for the feedback and continued support and we will only continue to work to make things better... 

Sweet deal!!! MTB-X is probably the best ball I've ever played, 4 dozen yellow heading my way!!!

• Like 1

Maltby TSW sand wedge

6 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

Sweet deal!!! MTB-X is probably the best ball I've ever played, 4 dozen yellow heading my way!!!

Yep, me too. Jumped right on that! 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

On 6/23/2023 at 7:25 AM, Snell Golf said:

Hello.. Thanks for the all the feedback on the golf balls.  As I have always said in the past, I use the customer feedback and listen, then get to work.   As you can see from some of the comments, the durability of the cover is good for some, and not good for others... So I have been working on some solutions and improvements that will be coming soon as well.   In the interim,  for those players who have seen some issues with durability, we have some of the MTB BLACK and MTB X balls on line for sale.  We will have 2 doz and 4 doz loose golf balls for sale.  These are first quality Grade A balls, just shipped bulk without the packaging.   The are listed in the closeout section of the site.   For those who do not have any issues with durability, thanks for the feedback and continued support and we will only continue to work to make things better... 

USA only 👎

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, flushem said:

I got 2 4-dz deal of yellow mtb-x.   SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!

Dean, first of all, thank you for saving MTB's.  Second, who cares about packaging?  You should have no packaging or bulk box packages available in future.

100% agree. Especially if it reduces cost and selling price. I would have zero issues ordering my golf balls in bulk plastic bags.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 6/23/2023 at 8:25 AM, Snell Golf said:

Dean, what are your thoughts on cast urethane vs thermoset urethane covers? It seems there are really great golf balls that use each method.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

15 hours ago, flushem said:

I got 2 4-dz deal of yellow mtb-x.   SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!

Dean, first of all, thank you for saving MTB's.  Second, who cares about packaging?  You should have no packaging or bulk box packages available in future.

Yeah, agree with this. These aren't on the store shelf at Dick's next to the ProV1. People who are looking for Snell balls are looking for them on a website. 

While there is an "image" component to packaging, i.e. someone who buys a sample pack probably will be turned off if the balls show up in a plastic bag, that's really only necessary for new customers or those who are buying them as gifts. 

And there is an environmental/waste advantage to not using a sleeve of 3 balls in a box, times 4, inside another box, inside a shipping box. Especially if someone is buying 5 dozen in bulk, so you've got 5 dozen-sized boxes and 20 sleeves. Which I'm going to throw away on day 1 and ends up in a landfill somewhere. 

If bulk packaging was available and incurred less material waste, as an option, I'd opt for it even if it was the same price as "real" packaging. Some may not like it, so I don't think it makes sense to ONLY sell in bulk, but having that as an option would be a nice thing. 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

On 6/23/2023 at 9:25 AM, Snell Golf said:

thanks for listening Dean - and responding to the feedback

4doz MTB Black on the way. Rise & Grind buddy

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

I bit on only a single dozen of the MTB Prime X because I really wanted to try!  Played a round with yesterday.  I have not been hitting it well the past few weeks so this round was no exception.  I found it only slightly firmer than the MTB Black and played very similarly in all aspects.  I really hate to say but I'm not sure if I will buy more. After playing the MTB Black since it's release I may have to consider other options due to durability.  I rarely take a ball out of play but had to remove one from play and then another I used was nearly torched after the first shot. I busted out the camera when I noticed a brand new ball had a defect (lip on dimples - pictured below) but played anyway. It then looked like the third picture after the first shot, a full wedge.  There was a notable fish gill right on the logo that I peeled off after photographing and continued to play.  All in all I went through 4 balls (lost 2, yes bad) but I don't need extra help with damaging! 

20230704_113734.jpg

20230704_113749.jpg

20230704_114521.jpg

let's just call this a failed experiment and pump out more MTB and MTB X!!!

• Like 2

Maltby TSW sand wedge