2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

I got what I believe are the newer Prime balls with the increased durability. 

I had them on a mat with a track man and hit a lot of wedges.  A problem I was seeing with the initial batch I got was wedges roughing up the ball even after just one particularly saucy shot. 

The ones I hit yesterday seemed to have no issues with that so that’s a good sign.  I’ll hopefully get out early next week on the course to get some real world testing done - it’s 120 degrees out right now and it’s just too freaking hot to golf. 

• Like 3

Took them out today.

Durability is absolutely a lot better.  

I just really like this ball - when I switched back to the MTB-X for a few rounds I just didn't feel as confident around the greens or on the green.  Today around the green and putting I just felt good - like the ball was going to do what I wanted it to do.

The data that came out today on that other site is interesting to dig into - but I dunno - I didn't see anything that made me want to suddenly switch to a new ball.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iutodd said:

Took them out again today.

Durability is totally not an issue.  It's a good ball.  If you tried the initial batch and were disappointed by the durability try them again.

That data from the other site shows that it's a ball that is on par performance wise with the ProV1 - for a lot less.

Which one?

Prime or Prime X

Do both have new covers?

I got a test pack a few weeks back and the ball couldn't take a gap wedge to it without scuffing

Would try again if they fixed it

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

On 8/20/2023 at 9:04 PM, jimb6golf said:

I called Snell directly and they completed the purchase and gave me the free shipping. Pretty easy.

I tried the new Prime ball and played it for 9-10 holes and still saw 'some' wear but it seemed to  be slightly better than the previous version I had tried a month or so ago.  Still working through which ball suits me better Prime or Prime X but leaning towards the latter.  Difference between the two balls is more apparent with this new version/ issue in my opinion too.

Any updates on the updated Prime X ball and the more durable cover?  Also really liking the slightly different colors between the 2 balls too, pretty interesting. Disappointed to see the new balls didn't come out on top of the MGS study too.

I am disappointed not seeing Prime series on the top.  No matter how objective the test results are, our choices are SO subjective.  I did not think I would choose Prime but I ended up choosing handful of balls including Prime over Prime X and other balls based on the stat. 

However, I do hope and believe that Dr. Snell and his team will work harder to get his ball(s) on the top of the chart in 2 years.  

2 hours ago, flushem said:

I am disappointed not seeing Prime series on the top.  No matter how objective the test results are, our choices are SO subjective.  I did not think I would choose Prime but I ended up choosing handful of balls including Prime over Prime X and other balls based on the stat. 

However, I do hope and believe that Dr. Snell and his team will work harder to get his ball(s) on the top of the chart in 2 years.  

How do you define "top" of the chart? Distance? 

If all you want is distance, there are probably some 2pc Surlyn low-spin balls that will give you more distance. 

I feel conflicted admitting this on WRX, but I'm not swinging at 125 mph to the point where I need the low-spin ball to keep from ballooning. I want a ball that gives me good greenside and approach characteristics without completely sacrificing distance. Not a ball that gives me 8.2 yards more off the tee but I can't get to stop without 20y of rollout on a 50y pitch shot. 

When I looked at the 2021 numbers, I was playing the Kirkland V2 and realized that with my mortal swing speed, I like spin but don't need *THAT* much spin. I picked the MTB-X because it was sort of a "middle of the road" ball for my middle of the road swing speed. It wasn't at the top of the list for distance, but I never found it lacking. I could have gone Left Dash, and maybe gotten a few more yards b/c my drives rolled out more, but it doesn't mean the ball would have been better for my game. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

16 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

How do you define "top" of the chart? Distance? 

If all you want is distance, there are probably some 2pc Surlyn low-spin balls that will give you more distance. 

I feel conflicted admitting this on WRX, but I'm not swinging at 125 mph to the point where I need the low-spin ball to keep from ballooning. I want a ball that gives me good greenside and approach characteristics without completely sacrificing distance. Not a ball that gives me 8.2 yards more off the tee but I can't get to stop without 20y of rollout on a 50y pitch shot. 

When I looked at the 2021 numbers, I was playing the Kirkland V2 and realized that with my mortal swing speed, I like spin but don't need *THAT* much spin. I picked the MTB-X because it was sort of a "middle of the road" ball for my middle of the road swing speed. It wasn't at the top of the list for distance, but I never found it lacking. I could have gone Left Dash, and maybe gotten a few more yards b/c my drives rolled out more, but it doesn't mean the ball would have been better for my game. 

you can certainly refer to the past test results (19 &21) and see what MTBs were referred as. 

Edited by flushem

Materials and supply coupled w/ production facility capacity that does not meet demand is a global problem across almost every industry.

Golf ball production challenges will continue just like every other commodity that is not renewable. 

Edited by pingfool

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

10 hours ago, bekgolf said:

I really liked the MTB Black, still have one sleeve left.  All I want is for a ball that performs like the TP Red and Black.  Best ball ever made imo.  My hope is that Dean can figure out a way to bring the MTB Black back.  His losing the Foremost site to Taylor Made had to be a huge setback, I want Dean to succeed. 

Yes the TM TP Red LDP....best ball ever...if Dean made a ball with those specs...AMEN!

• Like 4

I posted these numbers in another thread comparing the Snell Prime to four similar compression balls with similar pricing.  I also compared it to the ProV1 - which is considered the best ball you can get.  The four balls besides the Snell were routinely picked as the balls to get throughout the testing at each speed.

Slow Swing speed Driver+Iron carry:

Snell Prime: 193+121 = 314

Maxfli Tour: 193+123 = 316

Wilson Triad: 195+122 = 317

Vice Pro: 194+124 = 318

ProV1: 193+122 = 315

Mid Swing speed Driver+Iron carry:

Snell Prime: 242+152 = 394

Maxfli Tour: 241+156 = 397

Wilson Triad: 237+155 = 392

Vice Pro: 239+155 = 393

ProV1: 242+155 = 397

Fast Swing Speed Driver+Iron carry:

Snell Prime: 310+171 = 481

Maxfli Tour: 309+170 = 479

Wilson Triad: 308+170 = 478

Vice Pro: 312+171 = 483

ProV1: 310+172 = 482

Spin numbers on the 35 yard wedge for all these balls are basically the same.  Spin numbers for mid-irons show the Triad maybe having a significant amount more spin (not sure how to quantify 400-500 more rpm - especially since, if you look at the total number for mid-iron shots, the Triad had the same amount of roll-out (12 yards)) but all others are very similar.  Triad also generally had the most spin off of driver but it varies depending on speed.

I've said multiple times now that none of the data made me want to switch balls or try something else.  I definitely have no interest in spending $55 on Titleist ProV1.  

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 7:16 PM, bekgolf said:

I really liked the MTB Black, still have one sleeve left.  All I want is for a ball that performs like the TP Red and Black.  Best ball ever made imo.  My hope is that Dean can figure out a way to bring the MTB Black back.  His losing the Foremost site to Taylor Made had to be a huge setback, I want Dean to succeed. 

It was Nassau, not Foremost.

This may have been said already…..apologies if so. I haven’t visited this thread in a while. 

The names Snell MTB Prime and Snell MTB Prime X are mouthful and should be shortened to simply Snell Prime and Snell Prime X. 

I purchased a test pack and felt both balls were just OK. I didn’t care for the new logo, in particular the size and weight as printed on the ball. 

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I purchased a dozen of the Primes at the initial release, I was really excited to get back to playing Snells. After going through that dozen I was extremely disappointed.  The ball seemed to perform but I didn’t care for the “feel” and the durability was terrible. When Dean introduced the improved cover Prime’s, I purchased a dozen, thinking I wouldn’t like them anymore than the original Primes, but I thought I would give Dean a fair try.  After playing the last 4 rounds with the new Prime, I’m happy to say I’m back with Snell.  The durability is outstanding with the new improved cover.  I don’t have an original Prime, but I think the new cover has improved the “feel” as well.  I’ll be jumping on a 5 pack for sure.  Well done Dean, the improved Prime is a great ball, now get us a yellow.  Consumers are never happy:)

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

I'll give them a try when the X comes out in yellow. Hopefully they're close to the awesome MTB-X

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

On 9/10/2023 at 11:13 AM, Hot Rod 71 said:

This may have been said already…..apologies if so. I haven’t visited this thread in a while. 

The names Snell MTB Prime and Snell MTB Prime X are mouthful and should be shortened to simply Snell Prime and Snell Prime X. 

I purchased a test pack and felt both balls were just OK. I didn’t care for the new logo, in particular the size and weight as printed on the ball. 

This is the most golf WRX thing I've ever read 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GoTime said:

This is the most golf WRX thing I've ever read 

Im not quite sure how to take that. 😂

• Haha 1

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Well, my testing got delayed quite a bit, but I finally got around to test these. My findings were pretty much identical to @jimb6golf. Prime and Prime X were very similar. The X was a bit more spinny on greenside chips. Driving distance was similar enough for my skill level of finding the center of my driver face. I had a nice drive with both of them luckily and they both flew around 285, which is a good distance for me.

The X cover got beat up a little more than the Prime, but that could've been due to outside factors. I think I prefer the Prime better feel wise and it performed well for me. I currently play the MTB Black so maybe Prime was going to be my favorite just due to familiarity.

Once I run out of MTB Black, hopefully the Prime in yellow is out and I will switch to that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a dozen of both Prime balls at launch, after being an exclusive MTB black player for a long time. I immediately gave the Prime X sleeves away, and the Prime is now my "here comes water, time for a ghost runner" ball. It's such a bummer that it's such a radical change, must be the move away from cast urethane. I'll probably try a dozen of the current Prime and see how that goes. the MTB Black was perfect in every way IMO.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 3:36 PM, iutodd said:

I posted these numbers in another thread comparing the Snell Prime to four similar compression balls with similar pricing.  I also compared it to the ProV1 - which is considered the best ball you can get.  The four balls besides the Snell were routinely picked as the balls to get throughout the testing at each speed.

Slow Swing speed Driver+Iron carry:

Snell Prime: 193+121 = 314

Maxfli Tour: 193+123 = 316

Wilson Triad: 195+122 = 317

Vice Pro: 194+124 = 318

ProV1: 193+122 = 315

Mid Swing speed Driver+Iron carry:

Snell Prime: 242+152 = 394

Maxfli Tour: 241+156 = 397

Wilson Triad: 237+155 = 392

Vice Pro: 239+155 = 393

ProV1: 242+155 = 397

Fast Swing Speed Driver+Iron carry:

Snell Prime: 310+171 = 481

Maxfli Tour: 309+170 = 479

Wilson Triad: 308+170 = 478

Vice Pro: 312+171 = 483

ProV1: 310+172 = 482

Spin numbers on the 35 yard wedge for all these balls are basically the same.  Spin numbers for mid-irons show the Triad maybe having a significant amount more spin (not sure how to quantify 400-500 more rpm - especially since, if you look at the total number for mid-iron shots, the Triad had the same amount of roll-out (12 yards)) but all others are very similar.  Triad also generally had the most spin off of driver but it varies depending on speed.

I've said multiple times now that none of the data made me want to switch balls or try something else.  I definitely have no interest in spending $55 on Titleist ProV1.  

This is exactly what I see.  I could drop 5 balls (within the same category) and other then feel don’t see any  major difference between them.  Nothing that would warrant spending 25-50% more.  I feel like golf balls today aren’t that much different in each category.