2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Country Club Members - Do you get bored of the course?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies guys. Main reason I am looking to join is to have a set place where I can always get a tee time. I live in southern California and it is very tough to get an early tee time around here and not have a 5 hour+ round. Another reason I am looking to join is to meet more players since most of my friends do not golf. I think the thing I don't like about the current course I play is that there is no real strategy involved in most holes and I tend to hit the same clubs off the tee/approach almost every time I play.

[quote name='daphenom121' timestamp='1425933312' post='11110159']
Thanks for the replies guys. Main reason I am looking to join is to have a set place where I can always get a tee time. I live in southern California and it is very tough to get an early tee time around here and not have a 5 hour+ round. Another reason I am looking to join is to meet more players since most of my friends do not golf. I think the thing I don't like about the current course I play is that there is no real strategy involved in most holes and I tend to hit the same clubs off the tee/approach almost every time I play.
[/quote]

I have been a member of a country club since 1998.

I do not get tired of playing the same course. I usually play around 90 rounds at my club and 20 rounds at other courses in the area.

It is important to chose a course that you like. Personally I like variety in elevation so the course that I chose has lots of elevation changes. Something on a hot day there is too much elevation to walk up.

I play with the same group of guys every Saturday and Sunday morning usually between 6:30am and 7:30am.

We have an on-line tee time reservation system and it is on a lottery basis but I usually get within 30 minutes of the time I want.

I have never not been able to find a tee time.

Our club has a stated maximum time for a round. It is 4 hours and 10 minutes.

We utilize a time clock system to keep track and if you exceed that time you will get a warning notice from the Board of Directors. On a third occurrence you will have your booking privileges suspended for a week and upon more occurrences within the same playing season, the suspensions expand to a month and finally to three months.

When you join you will realize that it is not only the availability of early morning tee time but that you can play less than 18 holes when you don't have time for a full round. It is unlikely that you would do so if you have to pay every time.

As others have said you can not ever justify a private club financially. It will always be cheaper to pay as you go.

Up here in Vancouver, Canada private clubs are quite expensive and we do not have any equity clubs. In other words the initiation fees are 100% non refundable and they are between CAD$50,000 to CAD$100,000.

If you could join an equity club at least you have a shot at getting your initiation fees back.

When I joined a very modest country club in 1997, I thought the course looked too easy. I, too, thought I get tired of playing the same course time and time again. Well, it's 2015, and every round is a challenge, and I found the course is not easy.

I love the fact I can play almost everyday, not worry about tee times, skip to uncrowded holes, and basically do whatever I want, as long as it is not to the detriment of others.

I'll cry if the club ever goes under, it's been having financial problems since I joined.

Some courses are boring playing once a year others can be played a 100 and not get boring. It depends on the layout, your game, course condition, weather, etc.

Course I belong to; when I joined in the early 80's was one where on a calm day I'd hit every club in my bag if I had a reasonable tee shot on every hole. Add in wind and severe greens and I doubt I get bored by it. (Plus it's been revised 2x since I joined.)

[quote name='NV825' timestamp='1425938010' post='11110627']Not necessarily a CC member but my regular course near my house is a pretty easy muni with 27 holes (Red, White & Blue 9's). It's perfect because I always switch it up and any one of them could either end up being the front-9 or the back-9.[/quote]

Agree, member on a semi private 36 hole course. Does not get boring with the two courses and different tees from time to time. Big plus is o save money at the end of the year due to the number of rounds I play. Would be bored no doubt if it was just 18 holes

I was a member of my club for 27 years but last year reduced my membership to a limited round package. Mainly because I bought a vacation condo and thought I wouldn't need a full membership. But I just rejoined because I missed playing as much as I used to play with my old buddies. I probably still won't play as much on this course as I did 3-5 years ago, but look forward to playing more than last year. So no, I haven't gotten bored with my club. I have always played just enough elsewhere to give me some variety.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Yeah always having a game and if you go out there and the place is dead so you can just go play a few holes are big pluses for me.

I don't get bored because at my course I could shoot anywhere from 65-80 on a given day. The wind is a regular feature out there. There are multiple opportunities to score and several you need to play safe. Lots of decisions to make based on the wind that day. With as much as I like to play its a no brainer for me.

I had same concern before joining a private club

After joining, I quickly forgot as never got tired of playing the same course. Can always play different tees too

Other considerations may be flexibility with tee-times, pace of play, course conditions/greens keeping staff, easy to walk, etc.

Finding right course is paramount, would not want to be locked into a course and that's poorly maintained and undercapitalized

I joined a private club last year, have played 20-30 rounds, and I cannot imagine getting bored at the club. It is a very hard course with tricky greens.
I was a member of a 36 hole public course, much different feel, and I was also challenged, but some holes did get a little routine.
I play most, but not all, of my rounds at my club.
When I go to other places, I really enjoy the golf, but am constantly thinking about how much easier and more forgiving the away places are as compared to my place.
And I score better away from my club. Which helps the wallet.

I grew up playing the course I belong to now. I have been a member as an adult since 1992. Does it get boring? Not really. There are many fun activities for me and my spouse--tournaments, best balls, two balls, etc. The course changes enough during the spring and summer that I have very different shots in August than in April.

It's a bit like being married: familiar isn't the same as boring.

Although, I have gotten to the point that I don't so much read putts as remember them.

Costs for joining clubs, may be less now than it was 10 years ago. The downturn in the economy a few years back, led many of our local private courses to dropping initiation fees altogether.

Semi-private courses can also offer good value. Becaue they have revenue sources from more than just member dues, they can offer more reasonable dues. The semi private courses offer the family atmoshere of a private club with the occasional inconvenance of outside tournaments.

My local course break even point to cover membership is 39, 18 hole weekend rounds. Playing 26 weekend rounds and 26 9 hole rounds makes it easy to break even $ wise with paying greens fees. All play beyond that is free. Once you pay you play, as much as your spouse will allow.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

Depends on the course. The two courses I've belonged to over the years never got boring for me, but that might have more to do with the fact that I'm usually playing a competition or some kind or I'm betting a decent amount of $$$, so that tends to keeps things ... interesting .... LOL

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1426000446' post='11114727']
Depends on the course. The two courses I've belonged to over the years never got boring for me, but that might have more to do with the fact that I'm usually playing a competition or some kind or I'm betting a decent amount of $$$, so that tends to keeps things ... interesting .... LOL
[/quote]

Funny how that same old tee shot or 150 yard approach shot are so much more interesting if there is some $$$ riding on it.

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1425912053' post='11107721']
[quote name='daphenom121' timestamp='1425910065' post='11107565']
I am planning to play a round at the country club to try it out. Anything I should keep in mind while playing it? I was thinking of seeing how varied the tee boxes are and if they are at different angles, etc.
[/quote]

Keep track of several holes and how many ways you could play the hole but still make par?

A course gets boring if it has a lot of holes that 1) don't require any imagination and 2) force you to play the hole in a specific way.

As a quick example - a flat island green par 3 with maybe 150 carry with no wind and no bailouts. You're either on the green with a 2 putt par; or your in the water, hitting 3 from the drop zone. That can get boring quickly.

Compare that to #8 at Pebble Beach. There are a multitude of ways to play that hole.
[/quote]

You literally just described the most feared par 3 in golf as boring...TPC Sawgrass.

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1426010570' post='11115805']
I am planning to play a round at the country club to try it out. Anything I should keep in mind while playing it? I was thinking of seeing how varied the tee boxes are and if they are at different angles, etc.
[/quote]

Keep track of several holes and how many ways you could play the hole but still make par?

A course gets boring if it has a lot of holes that 1) don't require any imagination and 2) force you to play the hole in a specific way.

As a quick example - a flat island green par 3 with maybe 150 carry with no wind and no bailouts. You're either on the green with a 2 putt par; or your in the water, hitting 3 from the drop zone. That can get boring quickly.

Compare that to #8 at Pebble Beach. There are a multitude of ways to play that hole.
[/quote]

You literally just described the most feared par 3 in golf as boring...TPC Sawgrass.
[/quote]

I think boring is the wrong word... fear is better. Actually #8 at PB is, for sure, easier than #17 at Sawgrass... Miss the green and you can still get up/down to save par. Miss the green on #17, you're more than likey in the drink, only other option is long on the cart path forcing a testy pitch that is difficult to control if the pin is in the wrong spot. Pebble Beach is easy and short, if weather is NOT in.

Also, course designers typically tell people from the tee, how to play the hole. Thinking a hole should have multiple ways it can be played, suggests the hole is wide open and or has many bail out areas, therefore makes it easy.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Ive never not had a home club, so it's hard for me to compare.

In general I don't feel a need to go play elsewhere just to play something different. I get enough variety playing friends clubs, traveling ect...

I really enjoy having a nice locker room, staff who knows you, playing with friends from the club, club run tournaments ect...

I won't get bored until I am breaking Par every time I play. I run a Saturday game where we average 35 to 45 players. We Shotgun Start and have a small game with two 36 hole tournaments a year. About 60 percent of the players are not members of the golf club. Those of us that are members, get reciprocal priveleges at two other courses about 40 minutes away owned by the same group. I played and ran this saturday Game for 5 years at Pebble Creek before I became a member. The non-members get a flat rate for play every Saturday morning of the year. In Florida, the rates skyrocket in the winter then fall in the summer to accommodate the Snowbirds.

Cobra King LTD driver @12* w/Paderson Kinetix Green IMRT shaft
Cobra Bio Cell 3-4W - 16*
Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid - 19*
Cobra King F6 4-GW w/Matrix Red Tie graphite
Bellum Winmore 707 Putter 33"
Snell MTB & Bridgestone B330RX

I guess I am not that good because I don't get bored. If I was hitting from the previous days divots yeah I would be bored. But nature does her thing and the wind is a bit different or it's cooler or warmer. The pins are moved and so are the tees. If you are too bored as some have suggested play different tee boxes or get your club to move the tees more each day. I have always believed that just because this hole is on the card at 400 and that one at 360 there is no reason it can't be 420 and 340 one day and still be fine for handicap posting.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I never tire of my home course. I thought I might,back when I first joined 20 years ago, but I still enjoy every round.

Our greens are typically very good to excellent, so that's a factor. Another thing is that our greens are large, so plenty of different hole locations plus numerous tee boxes, so the course plays differently every round.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1426010570' post='11115805']
[/quote]

As a quick example - [b]a flat island green par 3 with maybe 150 carry with no wind and no bailouts. [/b] You're either on the green with a 2 putt par; or your in the water, hitting 3 from the drop zone. That can get boring quickly.

[/quote]

[/quote]

With respect - please re-read what I wrote. :)

17 is not flat, and has wind in your face that swirls...it's the wind and the terrain (it is steeply sloped from back to front and tiered) that make this hole a challenge. Likewise the wind on #8 at PB is what makes it an incredible hole. I've played both several times.

[quote name='daphenom121' timestamp='1425906283' post='11107231']I was thinking of joining the local country club and was wondering if you guys ever get bored playing the same course most of the time?
[/quote]Absolutely not.

The key to joining the right club is to find a course that you can play several times a week and still find it challenging, enjoyable and interesting. I'm lucky enough to have found such a course.

Not bored yet. Not in the least bit. Here are some course/facility features that I think can help keep things fresh:

1) Multiple sets of tees that you would realistically play from - Most of my rounds are from the 'members' tees, but the occasional round from the middle tees or from the tips is fun
2) Greens with enough undulation/levels/bunkering to where a different hole location presents a different challenge for the short game as well as for the approach shot
3) A facility with more than 18 holes. My club has 36, so that goes a long way to ever getting burned out at one course.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 

4w - Callaway Rogue ST Max

3H - Taylormade Stealth Plus 

4U - Hogan UiHi

5-PW - Hogan PTx Pro/Icon Combo

50F, 54D, 58D - Vokey SM9

Putter - Evnroll ER1 Blade