Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

> @DeeBee30 said:

> Tale of two rounds at Prairie Bluff. Sunny skies and crappy swings on the front 9 after running from lot to tee. Overcast and wind on the back, but shot 6 strokes better. Course was in pretty good shape and very playable, despite shaggy greens.

>

> Edit: pic didn’t load

>

> 9bai3nq5ubvb.jpeg

>

Good to know, I play PB a fair amount. Is that #8?

> @greg said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > > > @dhartmann34 said: >

> > > > Heck you could play Stonewall Orchard right now for that price and it's in pretty good shape!

> > > thats a good rate for Stonewall. didn't see the special on their site.

> > > friend called me to come up to Midlane on Sunday morning for a $35 special. still time to share the info.

> > > thanks.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Yeah it was $55 up through this week I believe. I had an email. Looks like it's gone up for this next weekend. I don't think I'll be playing no matter what. Baby H made an early appearance yesterday morning! ?9titu8on5x27.jpg

> >

>

> Awww - that is soooo damm cute! Congrats! Girl?

Congratulations!

One of the best blessings in life.

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @greg said:

> > @DeeBee30 said:

> > Tale of two rounds at Prairie Bluff. Sunny skies and crappy swings on the front 9 after running from lot to tee. Overcast and wind on the back, but shot 6 strokes better. Course was in pretty good shape and very playable, despite shaggy greens.

> >

> > Edit: pic didn’t load

> >

> > 9bai3nq5ubvb.jpeg

> >

>

> Good to know, I play PB a fair amount. Is that #8?

Good eye.

> @Shriner said:

> First ever round at Sportsmans in Northbrook; will likely be my last even though I know it is hard to predict the future. One of the more forgettable courses I have ever played. I think at least seven of the par 4's were EXACTLY the same. It got to the point where I walked up to the next tee box and thought I had already played the hole. Conditions were blah. I know it is early but Poplar and Hilldale fairways/greens blew this away. Bar/lounge area not open yet for the season was the icing on the cake :) There are too many options around that are better for $54, especially at this time of the year. Just my opinion of course...

For the person that disagreed (and anyone else for that matter) i am curious to hear your opposing viewpoint?

> @greg said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > > > @dhartmann34 said: >

> > > > Heck you could play Stonewall Orchard right now for that price and it's in pretty good shape!

> > > thats a good rate for Stonewall. didn't see the special on their site.

> > > friend called me to come up to Midlane on Sunday morning for a $35 special. still time to share the info.

> > > thanks.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Yeah it was $55 up through this week I believe. I had an email. Looks like it's gone up for this next weekend. I don't think I'll be playing no matter what. Baby H made an early appearance yesterday morning! ?9titu8on5x27.jpg

> >

>

> Awww - that is soooo damm cute! Congrats! Girl?

Thanks all! We're heading home today. She's been great these first couple of days, but our sleep is certainly lacking! We watched a lot of golf overnight! ? I told her she's gotta start working on her putting first.

> @dhartmann34 said:

> > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > > @dhartmann34 said: >

> > > Heck you could play Stonewall Orchard right now for that price and it's in pretty good shape!

> > thats a good rate for Stonewall. didn't see the special on their site.

> > friend called me to come up to Midlane on Sunday morning for a $35 special. still time to share the info.

> > thanks.

> >

> >

>

> Yeah it was $55 up through this week I believe. I had an email. Looks like it's gone up for this next weekend. I don't think I'll be playing no matter what. Baby H made an early appearance yesterday morning! ?9titu8on5x27.jpg

>

Congrats DH!!! She's absolutely beautiful. Nothing in life is better than kids!

• Like 1

> @dhartmann34 said:

> > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > > @dhartmann34 said: >

> > > Heck you could play Stonewall Orchard right now for that price and it's in pretty good shape!

> > thats a good rate for Stonewall. didn't see the special on their site.

> > friend called me to come up to Midlane on Sunday morning for a $35 special. still time to share the info.

> > thanks.

> >

> >

>

> Yeah it was $55 up through this week I believe. I had an email. Looks like it's gone up for this next weekend. I don't think I'll be playing no matter what. Baby H made an early appearance yesterday morning! ?9titu8on5x27.jpg

>

Congrats!! Soak it all in, record video and take pictures as much as you can as it goes by so quickly.

• Like 2

> @Quem24 said:

> > @Shriner said:

> > First ever round at Sportsmans in Northbrook; will likely be my last even though I know it is hard to predict the future. One of the more forgettable courses I have ever played. I think at least seven of the par 4's were EXACTLY the same. It got to the point where I walked up to the next tee box and thought I had already played the hole. Conditions were blah. I know it is early but Poplar and Hilldale fairways/greens blew this away. Bar/lounge area not open yet for the season was the icing on the cake :) There are too many options around that are better for $54, especially at this time of the year. Just my opinion of course...

>

> For the person that disagreed (and anyone else for that matter) i am curious to hear your opposing viewpoint?

Did anybody disagree? I don't think anyone believes the course is a top 10 track. Or top 25 for that matter. It's a decent muni that's generally in good shape during the peak season. It's walking and singles friendly. It stacks up with the other near north flood plain munis. Yeah, a number of the par 4's are similar. There are some subtle differences on some of them (e.g. the left sweeping 5th), and a handful of ones that are different, e.g. the short par 4 16th.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Quem24 said:

> > > @Shriner said:

> > > First ever round at Sportsmans in Northbrook; will likely be my last even though I know it is hard to predict the future. One of the more forgettable courses I have ever played. I think at least seven of the par 4's were EXACTLY the same. It got to the point where I walked up to the next tee box and thought I had already played the hole. Conditions were blah. I know it is early but Poplar and Hilldale fairways/greens blew this away. Bar/lounge area not open yet for the season was the icing on the cake :) There are too many options around that are better for $54, especially at this time of the year. Just my opinion of course...

> >

> > For the person that disagreed (and anyone else for that matter) i am curious to hear your opposing viewpoint?

>

> Did anybody disagree? I don't think anyone believes the course is a top 10 track. Or top 25 for that matter. It's a decent muni that's generally in good shape during the peak season. It's walking and singles friendly. It stacks up with the other near north flood plain munis. Yeah, a number of the par 4's are similar. There are some subtle differences on some of them (e.g. the left sweeping 5th), and a handful of ones that are different, e.g. the short par 4 16th.

He is referring to someone hitting the new disagree button.

> @Quem24 said:

> > @Shriner said:

> > First ever round at Sportsmans in Northbrook; will likely be my last even though I know it is hard to predict the future. One of the more forgettable courses I have ever played. I think at least seven of the par 4's were EXACTLY the same. It got to the point where I walked up to the next tee box and thought I had already played the hole. Conditions were blah. I know it is early but Poplar and Hilldale fairways/greens blew this away. Bar/lounge area not open yet for the season was the icing on the cake :) There are too many options around that are better for $54, especially at this time of the year. Just my opinion of course...

>

> For the person that disagreed (and anyone else for that matter) i am curious to hear your opposing viewpoint?

> @Quem24 said:

> > @Shriner said:

>

> @Quem24 said:

> > @Shriner said:

>

There’s people on here who get weirdly protective of certain courses. I’ve been waiting for someone else to write that about Sportsman’s because I agree wholeheartedly. If I’ve been getting my butt kicked by some of the area’s more mentally exhausting courses, I might play Sportsman’s to go low. That’s about the only reason I go there though. That or I temporarily tire of modern monstrosities and just need an easy 6 mile walk.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @mci711 said:

> Random question - What do you think the consistently best conditioned public course is in the area? Glen Club, Cantigny, Cog 4, Blackstone, Stonewall or other? (just throwing out some of the nicely maintained courses that came to mind, obviously may have missed some).

Tough call. The ones you mention are no slouches. Mistwood would probably be on that list as well. I'd have to go with The Glen Club. Dubs used to be very well maintained, but they've slipped in recent years.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @mci711 said:

> Random question - What do you think the consistently best conditioned public course is in the area? Glen Club, Cantigny, Cog 4, Blackstone, Stonewall or other? (just throwing out some of the nicely maintained courses that came to mind, obviously may have missed some).

Hard to really have a consistently top conditioned course list as I don't play all of these regularly... But I will say Stonewall's conditions are always fantastic. And the fact that they don't aerate the greens is even better. Those greens are always amazing... Even when sanded.

> @dhartmann34 said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > Random question - What do you think the consistently best conditioned public course is in the area? Glen Club, Cantigny, Cog 4, Blackstone, Stonewall or other? (just throwing out some of the nicely maintained courses that came to mind, obviously may have missed some).

>

> Hard to really have a consistently top conditioned course list as I don't play all of these regularly... But I will say Stonewall's conditions are always fantastic. And the fact that they don't aerate the greens is even better. Those greens are always amazing... Even when sanded.

Interesting that they don't aerate. How is that possible? I thought aerating was a necessity for long term green health.

• Like 1

> @mci711 said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > Random question - What do you think the consistently best conditioned public course is in the area? Glen Club, Cantigny, Cog 4, Blackstone, Stonewall or other? (just throwing out some of the nicely maintained courses that came to mind, obviously may have missed some).

> >

> > Hard to really have a consistently top conditioned course list as I don't play all of these regularly... But I will say Stonewall's conditions are always fantastic. And the fact that they don't aerate the greens is even better. Those greens are always amazing... Even when sanded.

>

> Interesting that they don't aerate. How is that possible? I thought aerating was a necessity for long term green health.

>

I'm not sure. Their head pro Jeff told me that haven't done it in a long while. Greens don't need it. I'm not a turf professional, so I don't know, but back in the day, Chapel Hill had awesome greens and they didn't aerate either. Maybe someone else knows.

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @Quem24 said:

> > > @Shriner said:

> > > First ever round at Sportsmans in Northbrook; will likely be my last even though I know it is hard to predict the future. One of the more forgettable courses I have ever played. I think at least seven of the par 4's were EXACTLY the same. It got to the point where I walked up to the next tee box and thought I had already played the hole. Conditions were blah. I know it is early but Poplar and Hilldale fairways/greens blew this away. Bar/lounge area not open yet for the season was the icing on the cake :) There are too many options around that are better for $54, especially at this time of the year. Just my opinion of course...

> >

> > For the person that disagreed (and anyone else for that matter) i am curious to hear your opposing viewpoint?

>

> > @Quem24 said:

> > > @Shriner said:

> >

>

> > @Quem24 said:

> > > @Shriner said:

> >

> There’s people on here who get weirdly protective of certain courses. I’ve been waiting for someone else to write that about Sportsman’s because I agree wholeheartedly. If I’ve been getting my butt kicked by some of the area’s more mentally exhausting courses, I might play Sportsman’s to go low. That’s about the only reason I go there though. That or I temporarily tire of modern monstrosities and just need an easy 6 mile walk.

>

>

gotta chime in - and I wasn't who disagreed with your original posting.

number four , seven, nine , eleven and twelve, fifteen, eighteen. agreed, very similar layouts. it's a decent hitters course now squeezed into a suburban community. not as tight as the now closed HPCC. they have recently taken down some older trees to open up some spots, but without some re-routing, there isn't much to do with the place. fun for a friendly game.

they heavily sanded the greens two weeks ago. it was like putting on a beach. we still had sub 32 degree nights last week.

the turf is doing fine. great superintendent and crew.

the indoor practice stalls and simulator were installed in the cafe area two winters ago to accommodate people that wanted off season lessons. it worked out so well that it was repeated this winter.

the changeover to restaurant services should take place shortly - when the official season begins.

one of the course renovation goals is to enlarge the clubhouse and have a twelve month restaurant onsite, though those plans don't begin until 2020.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Wanted to play tomorrow but it looks like most courses are already charging mid season rates.... are any courses in mid season form to be justifying the cost? It seems like spring and fall rates are becoming a thing of the past....

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> Wanted to play tomorrow but it looks like most courses are already charging mid season rates.... are any courses in mid season form to be justifying the cost? It seems like spring and fall rates are becoming a thing of the past....

Agree with this. I think the season is just too short to be offering big discounts. With the number of golfers wanting to get out why would they though?

Doesn't help for tomorrow, but starting next week I believe Mistwood is $50 which is a solid deal.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Quem24 said:

> > > @Shriner said:

> >

>

> Did anybody disagree? I don't think anyone believes the course is a top 10 track. Or top 25 for that matter. It's a decent muni that's generally in good shape during the peak season. It's walking and singles friendly. It stacks up with the other near north flood plain munis. Yeah, a number of the par 4's are similar. There are some subtle differences on some of them (e.g. the left sweeping 5th), and a handful of ones that are different, e.g. the short par 4 16th.

I disagreed for many of the reasons that Argonne noted. It's definitely not the best course in Chicago, but I think it is better than almost all of the courses on the near north side. Better than Sunset (haven't seen the remodel), Wilmette, Winnetka, Edgebrook, Deerfield, Mission Hills, Robert Black, Willow Hill, Glenview, and Chick Evans. Only one I like more than it is Glencoe. Every one of those courses is pretty average and I think Sportsmans is slightly above average. I wouldn't fight anyone too much who thinks it's an average/forgettable course, but by that definition I think you'd have to banish 60% of the courses in the area to the never play again category.

I'm not sure which par 4s the OP thinks are the same, but I don't find them that repetitive. Crook listed a few as examples, but I don't think they are all fair. 9 is a 450, which is far longer than the rest. I agree that 4 and 15 are pretty similar, but 15 has a bunker cutting in and you can't miss right. While 11 and 12 run parallel, the uphill approach into the best green on the property at 11 is a very different approach from the 12th. And as Argonne said, 14 and 16 and one of a kind holes for the course. I broadly agree that there are a lot of par 4s that are 370-400, but you'll get that on any 6400 yard course. I'll reiterate again that it is probably the 50th best public in Chicagoland, but the greens are good and there are so many worse courses in my eye. If you're skipping Sportsman's, I think you'd have to skip 100 other courses in the area. Hopefully that clarifies one person's opinion

> @MountainKing said:

> Wanted to play tomorrow but it looks like most courses are already charging mid season rates.... are any courses in mid season form to be justifying the cost? It seems like spring and fall rates are becoming a thing of the past....

It is an absolute joke. The grass isn't even growing yet. But, MCI is right. If guys are willing to pay full rate for a dormant course, why not charge full-rate. That said, I won't be taking my dollars to these places until the turf conditions justify the prime season rates.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

> @TheBear95 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > Wanted to play tomorrow but it looks like most courses are already charging mid season rates.... are any courses in mid season form to be justifying the cost? It seems like spring and fall rates are becoming a thing of the past....

>

> It is an absolute joke. The grass isn't even growing yet. But, MCI is right. If guys are willing to pay full rate for a dormant course, why not charge full-rate. That said, I won't be taking my dollars to these places until the turf conditions justify the prime season rates.

I'm not faulting them for doing it, if people are willing to pay the prices then it's a good business decision. If I'm paying full price, then I personally want the full price experience, not a course that's just coming out of winter conditions. You and I sound like we're in the same boat on this one. With only 8 rounds in the books last year I was hoping to come out strong this year and make it a busy golf season but so far that's wishful thinking. I'll hopefully at least hit a driving range today!

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Hmm, I think there are still deals, at least in the NW area. Poplar, Hilldale and Schaumburg all have abnormally low prices and all three courses are already in nice condition. Played Schaumburg yesterday for $35. Played Hilldale last week for $23.

I had mis-read the post about best public course conditioning. Alot of the nice public conditioned courses are privately owned...ie: Blackstone, Mistwood, etc. If you go to best conditioned "municipal owned" courses, then it gets real interesting! I would say Cantigny, Schaumburg and Prairie Landing are the three best I am aware of...

> @CMCSGolf said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @Quem24 said:

> > > > @Shriner said:

> I disagreed for many of the reasons that Argonne noted. It's definitely not the best course in Chicago, but I think it is better than almost all of the courses on the near north side. Better than Sunset (haven't seen the remodel), Wilmette, Winnetka, Edgebrook, Deerfield, Mission Hills, Robert Black, Willow Hill, Glenview, and Chick Evans. Only one I like more than it is Glencoe. Every one of those courses is pretty average and I think Sportsmans is slightly above average. I wouldn't fight anyone too much who thinks it's an average/forgettable course, but by that definition I think you'd have to banish 60% of the courses in the area to the never play again category.

>

> I'm not sure which par 4s the OP thinks are the same, but I don't find them that repetitive. Crook listed a few as examples, but I don't think they are all fair. 9 is a 450, which is far longer than the rest. I agree that 4 and 15 are pretty similar, but 15 has a bunker cutting in and you can't miss right. While 11 and 12 run parallel, the uphill approach into the best green on the property at 11 is a very different approach from the 12th. And as Argonne said, 14 and 16 and one of a kind holes for the course. I broadly agree that there are a lot of par 4s that are 370-400, but you'll get that on any 6400 yard course. I'll reiterate again that it is probably the 50th best public in Chicagoland, but the greens are good and there are so many worse courses in my eye. If you're skipping Sportsman's, I think you'd have to skip 100 other courses in the area. Hopefully that clarifies one person's opinion

That makes sense to me and I totally understand where you are coming from. I guess I have just gotten to the point where I realize that we have an embarassment of riches (golf courses availability) in this area so I take advantage. Alas, I really can't ever see myself justifying $54 for a round at Sportsmans ever again (30 minute drive from Schaumburg) when I can go play Blackstone for $49 (35 minute drive from Schaumburg) or Bowes Creek for $44 (35 minute drive from Schaumburg). There is just no comparison between those courses.

> @Shriner said:

> Hmm, I think there are still deals, at least in the NW area. Poplar, Hilldale and Schaumburg all have abnormally low prices and all three courses are already in nice condition. Played Schaumburg yesterday for $35. Played Hilldale last week for $23.

>

> I had mis-read the post about best public course conditioning. Alot of the nice public conditioned courses are privately owned...ie: Blackstone, Mistwood, etc. If you go to best conditioned "municipal owned" courses, then it gets real interesting! I would say Cantigny, Schaumburg and Prairie Landing are the three best I am aware of...

Definitely. Still deals out there. Mistwood next week is $50, Cantigny isn't full price right now either. Then you have Bolingbrook for like $90, Arrowhead $85 and others at similar prices that shouldn't even be that much during the peak season. I'm ok with paying $50 to go out and playing good courses right now that may not be in great shape, but nothing is in good enough condition to be charging much more than that.

I left downtown early this morning, and it was 47 degrees. When I arrived at Wilmette GC it was 36 degrees. Wha? Luckily there was zero wind, and it warmed quickly. I was in the first group out, and we made it around in 3:15. 'Very nice pace.

The course was in much better shape than I expected, minus the aeration of the fairways on some holes that made them a bit muddy. However, I've seen much worse. The fairways were shaggy but playable. The greens were in great shape. They rolled about 9, but could use a rolling. The bunkers looked fantastic. Fresh sand in all of them from what I could see.

The course did a major tree trimming. Practically every mid-sized tree had numerous lower branches removed. Definitely opened up most holes. It appears that only one tree was removed, the evergreen near the 6th teebox.

Solid round. I decided to play a fade off the tee. My hook has been rearing its ugly head too frequently. The fade got the job done, with only one double cross. I managed 12 greens, and a single birdie. Overall a nice start to the season.

Makray is $42, Prairie Isle is $27, Oak Grove has coupons for $32, The Brassie is $20, Aberdeen is $32, Brightondale is always cheap. There’s still good spring deals out there. You just need to know where to look.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I played Makray this morning. It was in very good shape given the fact that it's early April. The greens were bright green, but that had more to do with green dye than anything else. The course was very wet and a few shots plugged but overall I was impressed with the quality of the course, and $42 is a solid walking rate considering what they usually charge. It took me a while to get going and I made bogey on four of the first five holes. However, I recovered well and shot a 37 on the back. My wedge play wasn't that great but overall I hit the ball well and didn't make too many big mistakes. 76.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Going to try and take Monday off from work to get out with the 70* temps expected. Have a new 3i Fli-Hi I want to bash around and just got my BL7 back from Chip with the satin black finish.

![](https://i.ibb.co/6tVZy9h/BL7-Update.jpg "")

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

> @CMCSGolf said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @Quem24 said:

> > > > @Shriner said:

> > > > First ever round at Sportsmans in Northbrook; will likely be my last even though I know it is hard to predict the future. One of the more forgettable courses I have ever played. I think at least seven of the par 4's were EXACTLY the same. It got to the point where I walked up to the next tee box and thought I had already played the hole. Conditions were blah. I know it is early but Poplar and Hilldale fairways/greens blew this away. Bar/lounge area not open yet for the season was the icing on the cake :) There are too many options around that are better for $54, especially at this time of the year. Just my opinion of course...

> > >

> > > For the person that disagreed (and anyone else for that matter) i am curious to hear your opposing viewpoint?

> >

> > Did anybody disagree? I don't think anyone believes the course is a top 10 track. Or top 25 for that matter. It's a decent muni that's generally in good shape during the peak season. It's walking and singles friendly. It stacks up with the other near north flood plain munis. Yeah, a number of the par 4's are similar. There are some subtle differences on some of them (e.g. the left sweeping 5th), and a handful of ones that are different, e.g. the short par 4 16th.

>

> I disagreed for many of the reasons that Argonne noted. It's definitely not the best course in Chicago, but I think it is better than almost all of the courses on the near north side. Better than Sunset (haven't seen the remodel), Wilmette, Winnetka, Edgebrook, Deerfield, Mission Hills, Robert Black, Willow Hill, Glenview, and Chick Evans. Only one I like more than it is Glencoe. Every one of those courses is pretty average and I think Sportsmans is slightly above average. I wouldn't fight anyone too much who thinks it's an average/forgettable course, but by that definition I think you'd have to banish 60% of the courses in the area to the never play again category.

>

> I'm not sure which par 4s the OP thinks are the same, but I don't find them that repetitive. Crook listed a few as examples, but I don't think they are all fair. 9 is a 450, which is far longer than the rest. I agree that 4 and 15 are pretty similar, but 15 has a bunker cutting in and you can't miss right. While 11 and 12 run parallel, the uphill approach into the best green on the property at 11 is a very different approach from the 12th. And as Argonne said, 14 and 16 and one of a kind holes for the course. I broadly agree that there are a lot of par 4s that are 370-400, but you'll get that on any 6400 yard course. I'll reiterate again that it is probably the 50th best public in Chicagoland, but the greens are good and there are so many worse courses in my eye. If you're skipping Sportsman's, I think you'd have to skip 100 other courses in the area. Hopefully that clarifies one person's opinion

I used to office nearby Sportsman's and played it a number of times in the '90's. Decent track, but the one memorable thing to me was there was a fox that kept a den in the top of a big fairway bunker (could it have been #4?). Anyway, very cool to see that fox and her kits on early morning rounds before going to work. ;-)