2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Welcome back!

Looks like the south got hammered yesterday

How’d you fare in Bolingbrook?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Ugh. I just woke up. What day is this? I came down sick yesterday, and I've been in bed since then. 'Had to pass on Poplar this morning. Hopefully this passing storm won't dump too much rain on the already waterlogged courses. I would like to get out tomorrow and avoid the slop.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Sigh. I'm beginning to despise Mother Nature. Is it too much to ask for a few days of dry conditions? I arrived at TPC Northbrook early this morning. There were sunny skies, and no wind. Three holes into the round it was cloudy, windy, and light sprinkles. The sun tried to peek out from time to time, but it stayed gloomy most of the round. The course was squishy. There wasn't much in the way of standing water, but many steps brought water to the surface. Bunkers were wet. Greens were in decent shape, and rolled a little faster than I was expecting. Pace was fantastic due tot he fact that they allowed me to tee of on #10 when the twosome I was supposed to play with didn't show. Rather than go out as a single following a number of foursomes, I sailed around the back nine. Of course when I made the turn the 1st was jammed, so they sent me over to the basically empty East 9.

My game is a total train wreck at this point. For starters, I put on a few (more) pounds over the long winter, and I haven't been able to walk enough rounds this spring to get back into "shape". Pushing the ClicGear through the thick, wet rough is a real chore. I was sucking wind 6 holes into the round. The arthritis in the knees is worsening, and the left shoulder shows no signs of improving. My drives were as awful as I've seen. I managed to top three of them for no more than 100 yds. A few snap hooks added to the misery. I believe I was hitting my 3rd into half the par 4s. The only bright side was my irons. I've been trying to weaken my grip to take the big hook out of play, and it finally seems to be working. 'Still feels odd as heck, though. With a strong grip I feel like I'm swinging with my right hand. With a weak grip it feel like I'm leading with the back of my left hand. Ewww.

I'm thinking about heading to the Quad Cities on Friday for a few rounds, starting at TPC Deere Run. I hope my game shows up, or it's going to be a waste of gas.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Arg I'm with you on the weather and the game. We checked out Joe Louis today since we haven't played it and with the brutal weather I'd more or less rather pay very little to play a "goat trail" than pay full price to play a nice course in terrible condition. I was pretty surprised by the condition, greens were good, fairways were good, rough was thick and long, easy to lose a ball in and impossible to get much more than a wedge on it. It was wet to be expected. We teed off in a drizzle and winds at a steady 15mph, rain stopped by the time we got off of 1 and the wind just kept picking up and had to be at lest a solid 20mph+ by the end. Like Arg, my game is nowhere and I'm struggling with knuckle ball hooks. My ball flight on all clubs are much lower than I normally am used to, I probably should get my swing on video and figure out what the heck is going on. I hope the weather turns around and I can start getting out more, between the high winds, wet course and my poor game I'm slowly losing interest in the game.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @stasek said:

> Hmm.... I had no idea Joliet CC went public and became Joliet GC. Played there few years ago and thought it was ok, but nothing special. The one thing that stood out was the quirky routing.

Joliet and Calumet both went public this year. I have a feeling you'll be seeing a lot of those old school country clubs opening up to the public in the next year or two. None of them seem to be growing membership and they need someway to sustain

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Was planning on playing the Highlands of Elgin yesterday, but with the rain coming I decided to go west and play. I heard that Prairie View was a nice track, so I went there for the first time.

I had never seen sand targets at the range before, but I like the idea. You can gauge how far your shots go because they die in the sand and the course doesn't have to worry about maintaining target greens at the range. Pretty nice practice facilities at Prairie View's range overall. I wish they had a little more fairway to chip on though. It was rough, sand, and a little apron. The practice putting greens were fast and smooth and they must roll the greens frequently.

Somehow an 8some got ahead of us as we teed off, but they were not all playing and the group split up. I birdied the first hole, but that was my only birdie of the day. The front 9 was nice, but the back 9 is fantastic. Lots of elevation changes views of the prairie.

I ended up playing with three guys I had never met, and they were all super nice dudes. My only complaint is that the greens were becoming infested in poa and that slowed down my putts. I hope the poa begins to die off a bit in the summer. Very challenging greens that broke a lot more than I thought.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Got in a tidy round at Bartlett Hills today. Wind was whipping through and seemed to be into us on more holes than it should have been, but we stayed dry. Rain started blowing at about a 45 degree angle as we were driving up to to a par-3 green, and it ended by time we walked off. By then, the wind had shifted more northeast than due east, so the bad stuff skirted is and headed more north.

The fairways were in pretty good shape, but some areas in the rough were more mud than grass. We played LCP in the fairway but should have implemented through the green. The bunkers were like concrete starting to set up. The first time I hit my 60/10* from the sand, it skipped into the ball and sailed it through the green. Had to get a bit steeper on the rest of the bunker shots.

Greens were in decent shape and rolling well (though slow), but there were tons of “helicopter” seeds on many of the greens.

It’s been so long since I’ve played BH that I forgot it ends with a par-3...hate that! And it’s a bit overpriced for the quality of the track. Regardless, it was good to get out today.

Bear and I checked the radar this morning and Mundelein looked clean so we played a round at Countryside Traditional. The rough was extremely thick after all the rain, there were plenty of low spots, and a few holes were basically sponges, but overall it was more playable than I expected. The greens had been cut and rolled on Saturday morning so they were relatively smooth. I hit my irons pretty well but didn't make any birdies. The tiny greens at Traditional couldn't hold wet approach shots on a few occasions and I left a couple strokes on 8 and 11 for a 77.

The radar near Prairie Isle looked clear for round two and we had the course to ourselves for the first 13 holes. The big storms missed us by no more than 10 miles but it didn't rain on PI while we were there at all. There were fairly consistent 20+ mph winds with 30 mph gusts, but that actually helped dry out the course and Bear and I both were able to flight shots down when necessary. Once again, there were no birdies by me but I scrambled well, hit more greens, and shot a 74. After yesterday's washout, getting in 36 holes and a nice 13.5 mile walk today was a nice surprise.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

The last I heard about Calumet was that it was being sold to FedEx to build a distribution center. I wonder if those plans fell through, or whether the deal is simply taking time to finalize.

> @Argonne69 said:

> The last I heard about Calumet was that it was being sold to FedEx to build a distribution center. I wonder if those plans fell through, or whether the deal is simply taking time to finalize.

Interesting. I played it years ago knowing a member, I remember it being a fun course and super tight. Once I get my driver back in gear I'm gonna try to hit up (it'd be a miserable round right now the way I'm hitting it) because if a sale is still pending you wonder how great conditions will be moving forward.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

DP4 and I headed up to Sand Valley this past weekend, and somehow avoided the weekend weather issues. 60s and sunny Friday, 50s, cloudy and cold, yet dry Saturday. Courses are awesome, the entire place amazing. I'd definitely encourage everybody to venture out there when you can. It can get pricey but if you plan it right you can cut some costs. Has a very Bandon-like vibe for anybody who's been curious but hasn't been able to go there, yet not quite on the same level obviously missing the ocean views and not having as much lodging yet. But this place is legit. Course conditions were fantastic, our fears of slow greens due to the Sand Valley practice green being shaggy were quickly erased as pitch shots rolled off the front edge of 1. Fast, firm and true, best greens I've played in a long time.

• Like 1

> @VNutz said:

> DP4 and I headed up to Sand Valley this past weekend, and somehow avoided the weekend weather issues. 60s and sunny Friday, 50s, cloudy and cold, yet dry Saturday. Courses are awesome, the entire place amazing. I'd definitely encourage everybody to venture out there when you can. It can get pricey but if you plan it right you can cut some costs. Has a very Bandon-like vibe for anybody who's been curious but hasn't been able to go there, yet not quite on the same level obviously missing the ocean views and not having as much lodging yet. But this place is legit. Course conditions were fantastic, our fears of slow greens due to the Sand Valley practice green being shaggy were quickly erased as pitch shots rolled off the front edge of 1. Fast, firm and true, best greens I've played in a long time.

How was the wind on MD’s 14th? Anyone able to play the contours and drive the green?

> @DeeBee30 said:

> > @VNutz said:

> > DP4 and I headed up to Sand Valley this past weekend, and somehow avoided the weekend weather issues. 60s and sunny Friday, 50s, cloudy and cold, yet dry Saturday. Courses are awesome, the entire place amazing. I'd definitely encourage everybody to venture out there when you can. It can get pricey but if you plan it right you can cut some costs. Has a very Bandon-like vibe for anybody who's been curious but hasn't been able to go there, yet not quite on the same level obviously missing the ocean views and not having as much lodging yet. But this place is legit. Course conditions were fantastic, our fears of slow greens due to the Sand Valley practice green being shaggy were quickly erased as pitch shots rolled off the front edge of 1. Fast, firm and true, best greens I've played in a long time.

>

> How was the wind on MD’s 14th? Anyone able to play the contours and drive the green?

I want to say wind was behind on that hole, 275 to the pin on the front left. DP4 and another played it right and rolled it up just short right. I debated driver or my 5w and decided on the easy driver and pushed it right and over the speed slot into the hazard/sand. Chipped up, got the birdie to get back to even par for the round, and with thoughts of going under completely crapped the bed on the par 5s coming in.

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> Going to see Feherty on 6/28 at the Rialto and our group wants to play in the area that afternoon. I suggested Prairie Bluffs but someone else suggested Joliet GC. To be honest, I've never even heard of Joliet GC. What does the community here make between these two courses?

Sounds fun!

We have a group tourney that day, so wouldn't be able to make it (Feherty show).

First thought for me would be to play Mistwood, but Prairie Bluff would be good too.

I've never played any Joliet area courses.

Heritage Bluffs is less than 10 miles from the theatre also.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> Welcome back!

> Looks like the south got hammered yesterday

>

> How’d you fare in Bolingbrook?

... I wouldn't say "hammered" but rain on and off the last several days. We actually went out and played Village Greens Sunday at 4:30 because my son and his friend hadn't played yet this year and both had the day off. Never played a course that wet in my entire golfing life. Many of the greens had standing water and after the hard greens in Phoenix that rarely produced a ball mark, these greens either had a crater form approach shots or the ball just stuck and was buried below the equator. Bunkers were swimming pools. Conditions were so bad it was actually kinda fun to play ... once.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

> @Argonne69 said:

> The last I heard about Calumet was that it was being sold to FedEx to build a distribution center. I wonder if those plans fell through, or whether the deal is simply taking time to finalize.

Last rumor I heard was that FedEx is still happening but a year or two away. That rumor may not be worth the digital board this is printed on though.

Here's a link to a thread I started on our trip to Sand Valley. BTW, VNutz played really well...as expected. My favorite line from our caddie was on a dogleg par 5 when he said after V just nuked one, "I've never seen anyone hit it there."

[https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1770455/24-hours-and-53-holes-at-sand-valley/p1?new=1](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1770455/24-hours-and-53-holes-at-sand-valley/p1?new=1 "https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1770455/24-hours-and-53-holes-at-sand-valley/p1?new=1")

... DP4 do you think it would be unwise to walk MD with a remote cart? I read on a review there is so much sand off tee boxes, around greens, etc that you can't use an electric cart without a lot of difficulty. Wondered if this is true or they are just tryin to promote caddies.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

I think an electric cart at MD would be fine.

> @chisag said:

> ... DP4 do you think it would be unwise to walk MD with a remote cart? I read on a review there is so much sand off tee boxes, around greens, etc that you can't use an electric cart without a lot of difficulty. Wondered if this is true or they are just tryin to promote caddies.

There are probably 2-3 places going from the green to the next tee where there could be a bit of a challenge with the sand. In some places they have timbers down which make it easier but in a few, they don't. No issues with the green complexes at all. I think you'd be OK with those exceptions.

• Like 1

> @chisag said:

> ... DP4 do you think it would be unwise to walk MD with a remote cart? I read on a review there is so much sand off tee boxes, around greens, etc that you can't use an electric cart without a lot of difficulty. Wondered if this is true or they are just tryin to promote caddies.

There is a lot of sand on both courses, both around greens and tee boxes, but for the most part they've done a really good job of making it very walking friendly and having continuous grass so there aren't a lot of areas where you should have an issue. However, should you go astray a time or two you might have a problem. The terrain off the fairway is very raw and uneven and it might pose a problem getting an electric cart through. There were a couple of times our group was off the fairway and I found it much easier for myself as a carrier to get around than those pushing carts did, and I'd imagine a remote cart might have the same issues unless you left it at the fairway.

• Like 1

This is a few days late, but I made it out to Prairie Landing on Saturday before, during, and after the storm. After an almost 2 hour delay, part of my group had left and I had just thrown by bag onto my shoulder to leave when I heard through the radio that they were giving the all clear for play. Called the guys in my group and 15 minutes later we were all back out on the 5th tee. It turned out to be a beautiful evening on the course. Only saw a couple other groups the rest of the day, and despite running all over the place due to cart path only, my feet stayed dry due to my newer shoes and the impressive drainage out there.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> Does anyone have recent info on the conditions at The Preserve Oak Meadows? Our plans got turned around and we (twosome) are scrambling, looking for a good place to play today.

I talked to them earlier this week.

4 holes are still cart path only (guessing 7, 9, 12, 13?

They are still offering discount rates.

In spite of that, I think you'd be fine playing there.

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > Does anyone have recent info on the conditions at The Preserve Oak Meadows? Our plans got turned around and we (twosome) are scrambling, looking for a good place to play today.

>

> I talked to them earlier this week.

> 4 holes are still cart path only (guessing 7, 9, 12, 13?

> They are still offering discount rates.

> In spite of that, I think you'd be fine playing there.

I called them and it's cpo all day. Apparently, we got quite a bit of rain while I was sawing logs.