2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping i-e Irons?

Nessism

I just ordered some iEs, with the CFS distance. I went with the PING shaft after hitting it at the range. I didn't hit any of the other because i was happy with it against my current set. The best I could tell the "distance" of CFS distance is just 1/4" longer? I'm 6'3" so a little longer actually plays better for me.

[quote name='jwb10' timestamp='1450919633' post='12757674']
Ok, all, my Ie1s arrived today,my I-25s are delaminated and going back, what the heck is going to happen ??
[/quote]

Yes they will 100% replace delaminated irons at no charge. I believe if it's 3+ clubs you get a whole new set, otherwise replace the defective ones only. If whole new set they will allow you to upgrade to newest version of the line (iE1 in this case). I imagine since you already ordered the new ones you may be stuck with those. Maybe can still send the old ones in and get a new set as a backup or to sell.

Call ping customer service and they will give you your options

In my experience nobody's overall customer service can touch pings. If everyone took a step back and removed themselves from the situation then they would see that every company has to have a "what did you do to them " stance with most people as there are a large number people that will try to get replacements so they can sell them as new.
Once it is shown to be their fault, they will take care of it.
You should be good.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Are these easier to bend for lie adjustments since they are made of 431 stainless?
Previous Ping models can be a workout to bend.

Appreciate any feedback.
LB

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
PXG Black Ops 4W, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT95

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Vokey- 54/12A, 58LBK
LAB Golf DF3
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='GDB02' timestamp='1450939185' post='12758466']
[quote name='jwb10' timestamp='1450919633' post='12757674']
Ok, all, my Ie1s arrived today,my I-25s are delaminated and going back, what the heck is going to happen ??
[/quote]

Yes they will 100% replace delaminated irons at no charge. I believe if it's 3+ clubs you get a whole new set, otherwise replace the defective ones only. If whole new set they will allow you to upgrade to newest version of the line (iE1 in this case). I imagine since you already ordered the new ones you may be stuck with those. Maybe can still send the old ones in and get a new set as a backup or to sell.

Call ping customer service and they will give you your options
[/quote] thank you

Finally was able to pick up my i's today. They came to the range where I ordered them in just a shade over a week but due to the rain and Christmas I waited 5 long days to pick them up! The plan was to hit them at the range (Tee to Green) upon pickup, but it was too wet to hit irons today as they are grass only. Brought them home and was able to hit them at my house. Took me a little while to get my swing going before I got the hang of them. I like the feel of them and look forward to getting them on the course! Not really crazy over the satin finish on the face. Seems like it will not hold up. I went with 4-G with 1" over standard in silver dot. First time in a Nippon shaft (Modus105). Decided to pick up a new putter while I was there. Ping Cadence B65 that promotes a SBST stroke. The money my in-laws gave me for Christmas was burning a hole in my pocket!

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Ordered a set today at Roger Dunn. So stoked. Std length, yellow dot with Modus 105 S, grips in the box. D2 except for the PW at D3. Can't wait.

Edit question... Actually two. Are custom grinds available on the i Series (lead-edge to be precise) and two, is it an up charge?

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

[quote name='JumboJack' timestamp='1451179324' post='12766714']
Are custom grinds available on the i Series (lead-edge to be precise) and two, is it an up charge?
[/quote]

Yes and yes.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='lbhitter' timestamp='1450962471' post='12758780']Are these easier to bend for lie adjustments since they are made of 431 stainless?

Appreciate any feedback.
LB[/quote]

When I hit them, the fitting manager bent them to 2* flat with no problem at all. Right there in front of me. I'd say yup.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

[quote name='lbhitter' timestamp='1450962471' post='12758780']
Are these easier to bend for lie adjustments since they are made of 431 stainless?

Appreciate any feedback.
LB
[/quote]

Yes, they are easier to bend. Not forged club easy but easier than your typical 17-4 Ping.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Shop just called me. Since I asked for the grips in the box, Ping wants to know what kind I will be using to get the SW right.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

I think they cut all of them to a standard length. Which would make blue dot still standard.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='scratch72 ' timestamp='1451423800' post='12776892']
Is blue dot the standard with the modus 105 shaft or only the CFS distance shaft which I guess is slightly longer in length?
[/quote]

With the i25's, when you ordered them with CFS distance they added 1/4" to the standard length, so instead of playing off of a 37 3/4" 5 iron it was built off a 38" 5 iron. Since the Ping iE's are already 1/4" longer than the i25 and S55 OTR, it would probably be worth it to talk to a rep to confirm whether or not they'd be building you a set off of a 38 1/4" 5 iron if you were to order the CFS distance.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1451485021' post='12779654']
[quote name='scratch72 ' timestamp='1451423800' post='12776892']
Is blue dot the standard with the modus 105 shaft or only the CFS distance shaft which I guess is slightly longer in length?
[/quote]

With the i25's, when you ordered them with CFS distance they added 1/4" to the standard length, so instead of playing off of a 37 3/4" 5 iron it was built off a 38" 5 iron. Since the Ping iE's are already 1/4" longer than the i25 and S55 OTR, it would probably be worth it to talk to a rep to confirm whether or not they'd be building you a set off of a 38 1/4" 5 iron if you were to order the CFS distance.
[/quote]

I should know in another week or so. Your comment has me worried though, not that 1/4" would be the end of the world if I was wrong. I ordered the CFS distance +1/2" based on what the PING website had in irons specs listed, given the two stock iron shafts were both CFS distance (steel and graphite).

I just returned a set of Apex for store credit as my experiement with Graphite was short lived. I spent about 30 minutes on the monitor with The Pings testing a variety of shafts and lie angles. I ended up getting the most consistent results with the stock Nippon Stiff +1/2 inch and green dot. I was consistently hitting my 7 165 with excellent dispersion which is about all I need out of a 7 iron. Should be here in a week and I can't wait.

Because Ping found most of the irons that were ordered recently were ordered blue. Not black. The change has NOTHING to do with adding a 1/4 inch to their standard length. Does it really matter. You could be blue black yellow polka dot.....who cares. The color code is for lie angle...not length. If you don't know your color code get fit. There are plenty of fitters to help.

the difference between blue and black is .75 degrees.....a difference maker??? I think not.

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1451521211' post='12782154']Because Ping found most of the irons that were ordered recently were ordered blue. Not black. The change has NOTHING to do with adding a 1/4 inch to their standard length. Does it really matter. You could be blue black yellow polka dot.....who cares. The color code is for lie angle...not length. If you don't know your color code get fit. There are plenty of fitters to help.

the difference between blue and black is .75 degrees.....a difference maker??? I think not.[/quote]

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but aren't lie angle and length closely related? If you did add 0.5" in length, you would want to get a more upright lie?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1451521516' post='12782178']
[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1451521211' post='12782154']Because Ping found most of the irons that were ordered recently were ordered blue. Not black. The change has NOTHING to do with adding a 1/4 inch to their standard length. Does it really matter. You could be blue black yellow polka dot.....who cares. The color code is for lie angle...not length. If you don't know your color code get fit. There are plenty of fitters to help.

the difference between blue and black is .75 degrees.....a difference maker??? I think not.[/quote]

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but aren't lie angle and length closely related? If you did add 0.5" in length, you would want to get a more upright lie?
[/quote]
If you add a 1/2 inch wouldn't the club already play more upright if you didn't adjust lie angle??? You would actually want to go flatter to compensate.

It is all semantics. If you need + or - length you still need to be fit for lie angle. You are not going to know by guessing off of static numbers. Not to mention that shaft deflection also effects lie angle. Then if you want to get into some of the crazy ways players get to impact....over the top..too far inside...flat...upright....that also changes everything.

Find a fitter and a lie board. All questions will be answered. As long as the swing is repeatable. If the swing is not repeatable all bets are off.

[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1451523569' post='12782346']
Yeah, I wasn't totally accurate in what I said. Thanks for that.
[/quote]

No thx needed Moses. We all have different ideas and I could be wrong too! All I was trying to get at is if you are going to pay that much cash for Pings take advantage of the fitting system they give you. None of us are the "pingman" robot and have our own swings, so nothing is etched in stone.

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1451519078' post='12781992']
No confusion. The stock specs are on ping.com

Cfs distance, DGS, Nippon, PX and XP all the same STANDARD length. If you are buying Ping and don't "get fit" why bother. That is their bread and butter. CFS distance is the same shaft as CFS. They add nothing in length to these.
[/quote]

In the i25 and S55, if you ordered CFS distance shafts, they were built 1/4" long. The question was whether they are still adding 1/4" now that the stock length for the i E iron set is 1/4" longer than previous models.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1451524105' post='12782404']
[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1451523569' post='12782346']
Yeah, I wasn't totally accurate in what I said. Thanks for that.
[/quote]

No thx needed Moses. We all have different ideas and I could be wrong too! All I was trying to get at is if you are going to pay that much cash for Pings take advantage of the fitting system they give you. None of us are the "pingman" robot and have our own swings, so nothing is etched in stone.
[/quote]

Yep, but I wonder what percentage of players that get irons shortened to what used to be normal length would get weights in the grip to even things out. I would guess a really small percentage. If you order from the factory, would Ping do that for free?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna