Ping i-e Irons?

Nessism

[quote name='Mtngolfer1' timestamp='1443451623' post='12377970']
[quote name='pthor' timestamp='1443405018' post='12376140']
can you notice a difference between blue and black lie?? The set Im after is blue and I usually play black. I suck anyways does .75 lie really make a diff?
[/quote] The way I understand it the blue is the (new) black due to the increase in shaft length the lie is increased. I would suggest going to the Ping Website and doing a static fitting to see what is recommended from you measurements.
[/quote]

The way I understood is the color code is still the color code. Blue is just the shelve standard since they found most buy at blue. I had my pro shop order mine then called to discuss with Ping to make sure on mine.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Does .25" length difference alter the lie one full color code? I'm guessing it does or very close. The lie is more upright in the spec sheet, but length causes the effective playing lie to change I would think. This is the confusing part. It's probably being overthought, But this is what we do on WRX lol.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

I'm no expert but think if you're looking for the set to play at blue, which is .75 upright, no matter what length you play at, you'll have a set that plays .75 upright. They make those adjustments when built.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

[quote name='scottaz' timestamp='1443457765' post='12378528']
I'm no expert but think if you're looking for the set to play at blue, which is .75 upright, no matter what length you play at, you'll have a set that plays .75 upright. They make those adjustments when built.
[/quote]

Effective playing lie is different if you add or reduce length. Think if you added two inches to a club. The actual measured lie is the same, but at normal address and swing the toe would be pointing way up indicating it has become more upright. That's the effective lie change.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

I'm disappointed Ping went to the "longer shaft" route but eh, I would order mine shorter I guess.

Those looks incredible IMO and I love the blue accent. Don't know why people don't like it. i20 was one of the ugliest club and it was my favorite from Ping.

Ping G400 - 10,5° - Tour 65 Stiff

Cobra BioCell - 15° - Diamana D+ 75 Stiff

Ping G400 - 19° - Tour 85 Stiff

Ping G25 - 4-PW - CFS Stiff

Ping Glide OG (50° - 54° - 58°)

Ping Anser Milled

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1443459450' post='12378692']
[quote name='scottaz' timestamp='1443457765' post='12378528']
[/quote]

Effective playing lie is different if you add or reduce length. Think if you added two inches to a club. The actual measured lie is the same, but at normal address and swing the toe would be pointing way up indicating it has become more upright. That's the effective lie change.
[/quote]

I understand that and Ping does as well. At least that is what they told me since I'm 1" over and was concerned.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1443456866' post='12378444']
Does .25" length difference alter the lie one full color code? I'm guessing it does or very close. The lie is more upright in the spec sheet, but length causes the effective playing lie to change I would think. This is the confusing part. It's probably being overthought, But this is what we do on WRX lol.
[/quote]

Ping adjusts the actual lie angle on their irons 0.75° for every half inch of length change. For a change of a quarter inch, it would be about half that, 0.375°. In theory, that is; the practicality of getting that precise is another story. ;)

The color codes are still the color codes. Because people are getting taller as the generations continue, the average lie angle will be more upright than 20 years ago.

Remember it's always important to include the length with the color code. Green dot +1" is not the same lie angle as Green dot -½". :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='pthor' timestamp='1443487515' post='12381284']
anybody try these with PXI Shafts?? Probably such a breeze to launch what an amazing combo that would be.
[/quote]

I'd love to, but. I think it's a $52 per club up charge or something ridiculous like that. Yikes.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='rbilramz' timestamp='1443506898' post='12382532']
anybody try these with PXI Shafts?? Probably such a breeze to launch what an amazing combo that would be.
[/quote]

I'd love to, but. I think it's a $52 per club up charge or something ridiculous like that. Yikes.
[/quote]

No upcharge.

[quote name='The Giraffe' timestamp='1443530076' post='12383042']
[/quote]

[/quote]

No upcharge.
[/quote]

I think there is an upcharge and it's high for PXI - no upcharge for PX

[quote name='Landy' timestamp='1443572860' post='12387340']
Any one know the upcharge on the Loomis shaft?
Has anyone tried these new shafts?
[/quote]I paid $39 per club for Steel Fibers. Golf shop did not make a profit on the PING upcharge.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5 Fuji Ventus Black 6S
Callaway Epic SubZero 16.5 Fuji Ventus 7S
PING i500 3 iron UST Recoil 95 F4
PING i500 5 iron Steelfiber i95S
TaylorMade 790 irons 6-PW
Vokey SM8 Raw 50F 54S 59K 62M
Scotty Cameron Timeless CS

[quote name='Capitaine Haddock' timestamp='1443460043' post='12378752']
I'm disappointed Ping went to the "longer shaft" route but eh, I would order mine shorter I guess.

Those looks incredible IMO and I love the blue accent. Don't know why people don't like it. i20 was one of the ugliest club and it was my favorite from Ping.
[/quote]

I was a little disappointed in this and the strengthened lofts too -- until I played them for a few weeks. I can tell you that my ego is thrilled to be hitting irons longer than my buddies....."whadja hit there? .....ahhh just a soft 6".

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[quote name='scratch72 ' timestamp='1443914148' post='12406584']Which shaft would help slower swinger hit the long irons between modus 105 stiff vs CFs reg. The chart says modus has higher flight than the CFs. Even though they are stiff.[/quote]
You need to go hit them and see how they react to your swing.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

[quote name='The Giraffe' timestamp='1443530076' post='12383042']
[/quote]

[/quote]

No upcharge.
[/quote]

Wrong. Massive up charge for PXI. PX is no up charge.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Mine came in over the weekend. x100's 1" over, black dot. This is a different set up than what I had with my 55's but I got re-fit and the changes feel great so far.

I'm in the northeast and our club is wet. Even when it's dry, we have soft conditions. My biggest issue with my 55's was digging a little too much. So the big change I see is the I's fit me on my home course better.

There's less movement in the air. If I start one left with my 55's they can move quite a bit. The I's seem to hold the line better with all clubs. I'm able to work them but not as easily as the 55's. Not a shocker. But straight works.

The scoring irons are really sweet. Love that U wedge. I hit it today from 130 down to 60 yard pitch and runs. I like it more than my Vokey I use for the same shots. PW-7 feel and preform great. I'm still a little higher than I like to be but they are accurate and forgiving.

I hit my 55 long irons really well and this is where I'll need some time to get used to the bigger heads. Also, my miss so far has been a straight push but I went from yellow to black and I saw that with these a bit more. I'm also used to aiming a bit right and drawing it in but these are straight or fading and with me aiming that way, no good. I made some adjustments and saw good results. I may be one guy that does the combo the other way. Still early tho.

I'm playing a lot of golf over the next two weeks so I expect to bond more but so far, I really like them.

My one gripe is the same I had with my 55's. They scratch so easily. In spots the ball never touches on the toe esp. I don't know why they went with a dark face. But if they wear like the 55's do, I'll have no complaints.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

[quote name='scottaz' timestamp='1444239779' post='12423246']
Mine came in over the weekend. x100's 1" over, black dot. This is a different set up than what I had with my 55's but I got re-fit and the changes feel great so far.

I'm in the northeast and our club is wet. Even when it's dry, we have soft conditions. My biggest issue with my 55's was digging a little too much. So the big change I see is the I's fit me on my home course better.

There's less movement in the air. If I start one left with my 55's they can move quite a bit. The I's seem to hold the line better with all clubs. I'm able to work them but not as easily as the 55's. Not a shocker. But straight works.

The scoring irons are really sweet. Love that U wedge. I hit it today from 130 down to 60 yard pitch and runs. I like it more than my Vokey I use for the same shots. PW-7 feel and preform great. I'm still a little higher than I like to be but they are accurate and forgiving.

I hit my 55 long irons really well and this is where I'll need some time to get used to the bigger heads. Also, my miss so far has been a straight push but I went from yellow to black and I saw that with these a bit more. I'm also used to aiming a bit right and drawing it in but these are straight or fading and with me aiming that way, no good. I made some adjustments and saw good results. I may be one guy that does the combo the other way. Still early tho.

I'm playing a lot of golf over the next two weeks so I expect to bond more but so far, I really like them.

My one gripe is the same I had with my 55's. They scratch so easily. In spots the ball never touches on the toe esp. I don't know why they went with a dark face. But if they wear like the 55's do, I'll have no complaints.
[/quote]
Once you get used to the long irons you will love them. It does take some time and I was in your same position.

As for the finish....I took a scotchbrite pad to mine and evened out the finish. I agree...not a fan and would have preferred a tumbled finish.

Played them for the first time today. They were nice, but they were definitely big and will take some getting used to. Hit a lot of fat ones but I am sure it will get better...

Titleist TSR2 10* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 16.5* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 18* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 21* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist CNCPT CP-04 5-7 CP-03 8-48 Aerotech Steelfiber i80cw
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* 10 S Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM9 60* T Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Scotty Cameron Pathfinder Mainstay Bag

I'm just putting this out there, as I will state right off that I love them and am very happy I picked them.

That being said, I have two complaints.

1) The tungsten weight fell off the 7 iron. It looks like a minor quality control issue, but it happened. The pocket/cavity/tuning port thing is hidden, but I was hitting on a shot in a tournament, heard a weird noise and looked: The weight had popped out. I have it sent to Ping for repair/replacement. Not a big deal, but its just an FYI.

2) The finish is gorgeous. I love the look of the clubs...But as people have said here the toe area does seem to scratch easily. Not chip/ding up like a forged club, but it just gets scuffed on the face which makes them look a little 'worn'.

As far as the playability: I've never had a set I liked to look at, that produced the trajectory I wanted and also didnt punish me on mishits low on the face/towards the toe. These fit my miss so perfectly its a match made in heaven.

[quote name='scratch72 ' timestamp='1443914148' post='12406584']
Which shaft would help slower swinger hit the long irons between modus 105 stiff vs CFs reg. The chart says modus has higher flight than the CFs. Even though they are stiff.
[/quote]

Absolutely agree with the other poster that said you need to go hit them. My SS with a 6 iron with these averages at 90mph, and the Pro Modus 105 worked just fine with me. So if you're a slower swinger than that, be careful of these charts, you may want to try the Reg flex Pro Modus 105 to be honest.

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1444261859' post='12424832']
[quote name='scottaz' timestamp='1444239779' post='12423246']

[/quote]
Once you get used to the long irons you will love them. It does take some time and I was in your same position.

As for the finish....I took a scotchbrite pad to mine and evened out the finish. I agree...not a fan and would have preferred a tumbled finish.
[/quote]How does the finish look now? i really like the finish of the first pics we saw from the USGA

[quote name='Maverick22' timestamp='1443365099' post='12373562']Can you guys who have had the irons for a while now comment on how they are wearing. Any unusual face or sole wear?[/quote]

I've had mine since the beginning of September and the face wear isn't too bad. The sole looks fine too.

I do have some rust on the back of the six iron. Has anyone else noticed any rust? I had cleaned it up a good bit before I took the picture.

[attachment=2985572:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1444346866.077390.jpg]

[quote name='BHIllsWV' timestamp='1444346904' post='12430020']
[quote name='Maverick22' timestamp='1443365099' post='12373562']Can you guys who have had the irons for a while now comment on how they are wearing. Any unusual face or sole wear?[/quote]

I've had mine since the beginning of September and the face wear isn't too bad. The sole looks fine too.

I do have some rust on the back of the six iron. Has anyone else noticed any rust? I had cleaned it up a good bit before I took the picture.

[attachment=2985572:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1444346866.077390.jpg]
[/quote] I have a playing partner who had similar spotting He took them back to the shop and they cleaned them up to looking like new. He was using iron covers and they recommended that he avoid using them and has had no issues since.

[quote name='BHIllsWV' timestamp='1444349129' post='12430170']
Thanks for the info! I don't use iron covers but our bag room at our club gets pretty cold sometimes.
[/quote] It doesn't take much really. My brother put his irons in the trunk of his car and just threw his towel that was still wet from the round over them after a Friday afternoon round, He left the clubs in his trunk knowing he would be playing Sunday. When he took them out of the trunk and got them on the range he noticed rust spots. He was able to clean them up with out much effort, but was frustrated all day not knowing if the rust spotting was permanent or not.

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1444400896' post='12432676']Iron covers? Really........on cast game "enhancement" clubs? Kinda like putting a car cover on a Hummer.[/quote]

Some people like to keep stuff clean.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway