2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do golfers- like everyone else- need a drug test?

Oh boy.

Rumor has it that is the reason Tiger isn't playing, the whole back surgery thing is just a ruse to throw people off the trail. Apparently he is now built like a linebacker and is hitting his driver 425 yards and shooting in the 50's in practice rounds at Isleworth.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

do golfers- like everyone else- need a drug test?

Oh boy.

Rumor has it that is the reason Tiger isn't playing, the whole back surgery thing is just a ruse to throw people off the trail. Apparently he is now built like a linebacker and is hitting his driver 425 yards and shooting in the 50's in practice rounds at Isleworth.

Drug testing is a convenient'ier excuse for Zika, which itself is a convenient'ier excuse for stabbings, itself being an even convenient'ier excuse for polluted water, which in all seriousness is a convenient'ier excuse for the fact that golfers just don't care about the olympics

Pretty sure i read that in the latest Jason Sobel article

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

After reading some of the articles about the conditions in Rio, I know this is a Golf Oriented site, I find myself feeling less for the golfers, whom all are professionals and the pinnacle of their sport is not the Olympics , but the athletes who rely on the Games for crescendo and paydays of their sporting lives to have to make a decision on health vs long term career goals.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I think the open water swimmers have more to worry about than the golfers, and they don't seem to be backing out (at least that I've heard). Which would you be more scared to do --- play the golf course or swim in the open water down there?

Name three "open water swimmers" without looking it up.

PGA golfers worth millions and who have other millions coming down the pipe have way more to risk. They don't play their whole lives hoping for Olympic Gold, they do it for majors. The Olympics is just another exhibition.

The effects of the Zika virus aren't enough to derail the career of a professional athlete. No golfer is risking his future on the PGA Tour by going to Rio.

From the World Health Organization = "It causes mild fever and rash. Other symptoms include muscle pain, joint pain, headache, pain behind the eyes and conjunctivitis.Zika virus disease is usually mild, with symptoms lasting only a few days."

(yes, there are some obviously serious repurcussions for pregnant women and unborn babies. But the discussion here is the playing career risk for a male golfer)

You obviously haven't been to Rio. The athletes have more then just the Zika virus to worry about. All the Olympic athlete will stick out like sore thumbs. Their isn't anyone there to protect them. Like it's really that bad there. Bad enough when i go there for work I have a curfew.
Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

"do golfers- like everyone else- need a drug test?"

Lots of you are going to hate my reply but it's not uninformed...

It started out as a method to treat injuries of star players. It morphed into an injury prevention role as well

as a way to quickly recover from marathon training and range sessions. Recovery is what steroids are really all

about. Then the apparel companies started to nudge their key endorsers to look more "athletic". A buff

players sells far more shirts than a Tim Herron. Let's face it, a top clothing endorsement will get you more

dollars than golf ever could.

Steroids are everywhere. The guys on tour grew up with them in the high school locker rooms. They are so good

now that they are pretty much free of unintended side effects. Plus the intended effects are perfectly dialed

in. When you see Lance Armstrong with his shirt off, the picture doesn't scream "steroids". And yet he is the

poster boy of cheating. Every top UFC fighter, football player, hockey player, soccer players, tennis, plus

EVERY buff hollywood actor...are all on the juice now. The stakes are too high and the rewards are too big to

ignore. Plus they are incredibly safe now. The old bodybuilders and wrestlers are all dying off from steroid

related issues but what they had then was pure crap compared to what is available today.

Sports are entertainment. There are too many dollars at stake to get real testing in place. The guys in every

tested sport are given notice of potential test dates. The current drugs will leave the body pretty quick. 2

weeks off and you will have no worries of testing hot. Even Lance never tested positive. He just admitted it.

The net effect is that drug testing in pro sports only catches the completely brain dead people now. There is

absolutely zero incentive to catch the stars of any professional sport. The Olympics are a whole different deal

though. I'm guessing there will be a rash of injuries and Zeka virus concerns that will keep the buff stars out

of the Olympics. The PGA tour has strong Kung Fu but even they may not be able to control the testing there.

Golf's turn is coming. Books are being researched right now.

I'm not sure why people care if guys are dropping out. Not only is it not the pinnacle of their sport, it hasn't been around for a century or so.

I would expect the golfers to see it as a fun event, but certainly nothing monumental. Many of the other sports are built around the Olympics.

Would people rather these guys pretended to care?

Forget that Zika hasn't yet infected any of the 17,000 volunteers and athletes already in Rio. Ignore the fact that no other Olympic event - including women's golf - has seen a single Zika-based withdrawal. It's meaningless. To men's golfers, this is apparently a mosquito-borne disease that only has eyes for dudes hitting driver and carried by animals attracted to the sense of fear of a two-putt.

http://www.foxsports.com/olympics/story/olympic-golf-is-a-joke-and-don-t-blame-zika-062916

The pro golfers are supposedly independent contractors, so I guess they can choose not to go if they wish.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter

Forget that Zika hasn't yet infected any of the 17,000 volunteers and athletes already in Rio. Ignore the fact that no other Olympic event - including women's golf - has seen a single Zika-based withdrawal. It's meaningless. To men's golfers, this is apparently a mosquito-borne disease that only has eyes for dudes hitting driver and carried by animals attracted to the sense of fear of a two-putt.

http://www.foxsports...ame-zika-062916

http://www.lpga.com/news/2016-lee-anne-pace-statement-rio-olympics

While it's disappointing that some of the top players won't be playing the Olympic event, I understand their situation. First off, Zika is a threat, and if you get it, there could be some pretty nasty consequences. Being very sick for a couple of weeks is only the start of it. How about no sex for 6 months!! Maybe a month of lost opportunity in the heart of the golf season. Not all the research is in on Zika, and who knows what type of long term issues may arise from this infection. I think the money is also an issue. Look at all the money being made by the host country, the media, the airlines ect, yet the athletes get no compensation. Sure someone is going to win a gold medal, and that would be pretty cool, but there are only 3 medals given out. Rio isn't the safest place in the world right now. I think I'd be doing the same thing as Rory and Adam.

http://www.foxsports...ame-zika-062916

http://www.lpga.com/news/2016-lee-anne-pace-statement-rio-olympics

As different as Venus and Mars: LPGA players commit to Olympics while men bail out

http://golfweek.com/2016/06/28/olympics-wd-lpga-players-women-remain-committed-zika/

While the men drop like dominoes out of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, top LPGA players remain committed to the cause.

I love everyone saying they are out on this tournament and might watch, haha ok you have fun watching Tom Gillis and Steve Stricker compete for the John Deere while Spieth, Rory, Day, Scott, Bubba, Rose, Stenson, Dustin, Rickie, Louis and Sergio are battling out for a prize that not even Tiger and Jack have. Seriously what has been done in golf before that one of these two men havent achieved? Let me think nothing. Yeah im going to be watching because its going to be huge unless we get a final group of Joost Luiten and Roope Kakko.

Had to bump this to show how diluted the field is now.

The pull outs are a disgrace. The worlds top golfers should hang their heads in shame. The Olympics was the chance for golf to be promoted worldwide and they have dropped the ball.

Very minimal risk. I am embarrassed for golf. Too much money earned by the top guys. Making them lazy and greedy. Poor show.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

The pull outs are a disgrace. The worlds top golfers should hang their heads in shame. The Olympics was the chance for golf to be promoted worldwide and they have dropped the ball.

Very minimal risk. I am embarrassed for golf. Too much money earned by the top guys. Making them lazy and greedy. Poor show.

Promote golf worldwide? Tell me, what part of the world has not seen golf? Are people on some remote Pacific Island going to watch it on their 9" black and white TVs with rabbit ears and suddenly carve out a course in their rain forrest? I've never bought in to this "help grow the game" line. And unless folks in the US get the golf channel, coverage of Olympic golf will be minimal.

http://www.foxsports.com/olympics/story/olympic-golf-is-a-joke-and-don-t-blame-zika-062916

Flat out wrong here. There has been an LPGA withdraw. South African player, Pace I think.

Additionally, either earlier in this thread or over in the Rory thread, someone posted a list of other (non golf) Zika dropouts. John Isner (US tennis) was one of many on the list.

I will agree with the title of that link though. Olympic golf is a joke. Shame they sullied golf by saddling it with the crappy corrupt Olympics/IOC.

Sorry Carn, I have to disagree with you. The IOC are the ones that should be hanging their heads. They knew what kind of a hell hole Rio was when they picked it. Just follow the money. They have been talking about this on Sirius XM golf channel for a while now and picking Rio was just a dumb move even before the Zika virus. Hell, now the police force has run out of money to pay their officers who were already corrupt as hell. It's a mess and I can't blame anyone for not going.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

It started out as a method to treat injuries of star players. It morphed into an injury prevention role as well

as a way to quickly recover from marathon training and range sessions. Recovery is what steroids are really all

about. Then the apparel companies started to nudge their key endorsers to look more "athletic". A buff

players sells far more shirts than a Tim Herron. Let's face it, a top clothing endorsement will get you more

Steroids are everywhere. The guys on tour grew up with them in the high school locker rooms. They are so good

now that they are pretty much free of unintended side effects. Plus the intended effects are perfectly dialed

in. When you see Lance Armstrong with his shirt off, the picture doesn't scream "steroids". And yet he is the

poster boy of cheating. Every top UFC fighter, football player, hockey player, soccer players, tennis, plus

EVERY buff hollywood actor...are all on the juice now. The stakes are too high and the rewards are too big to

ignore. Plus they are incredibly safe now. The old bodybuilders and wrestlers are all dying off from steroid

related issues but what they had then was pure crap compared to what is available today.

Sports are entertainment. There are too many dollars at stake to get real testing in place. The guys in every

tested sport are given notice of potential test dates. The current drugs will leave the body pretty quick. 2

weeks off and you will have no worries of testing hot. Even Lance never tested positive. He just admitted it.

The net effect is that drug testing in pro sports only catches the completely brain dead people now. There is

absolutely zero incentive to catch the stars of any professional sport. The Olympics are a whole different deal

though. I'm guessing there will be a rash of injuries and Zeka virus concerns that will keep the buff stars out

of the Olympics. The PGA tour has strong Kung Fu but even they may not be able to control the testing there.

don't want to throw a kink in your schpiel but, golfers and professional athletes don't have to turn to steriods -- there are much safer means of rehabilitation now adays, to help aid recovery. i'm not saying it doesn't happen, but there ARE other ways. i DGAF about actors in hollywood shootin juice -- that's their own business (literally, their livelyhood depends on movie roles).

btw, what if any steroids would help a pro golfer? last time i checked the only guy jacked out of his mind was tiger/rory, and i'm pretty sure Rory at least has been earning it the old fashioned way (sh*t, just follow insta/twitter, dood lives in the gym).

don't use golfers as a platform for soapboxing b/c honestly it's probably the least doped sport of them all, other than power walking.

books will always be coming but it's all ball bearings these days, people read tablets.

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

It's '72 in Munich waiting to happen.

ISIS is also afraid of the Zika

they're actually MORE afraid of strong women. lol

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Lance actually tested positive multiple times, he just gave reasons that were deemed "acceptable" to explain the test results. Doping in cycling is ridiculous.

I honestly don't get why people give 2 craps if guys dope or not. We allow guys to have surgery to repair wrecked parts of their bodies, they get corticosteroid shots regularly (which is...dun dun dun...a STEROID). Medical science has advanced to the point where they should encourage guys to take the right stuff under the supervision of a doctor in order to stay healthier and prolong their playing careers.

Look, look....the chances of being killed and dismembered while you're there are fairly small. It's the opportunity of a lifetime I hear!!!!!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique