2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

For those that legitimately have two separate sets of clubs that you use...

vbb

I'm not talking about the clubs that you've ho'd your way in to over the years but never actually use... I'm talking about those of you that play two different sets with regularity. Is your 2nd set a mirror image of your 1st set, or do you have a completely different setup?

My new club has a bag room where many members keep their clubs full time. Although I will be playing a vast majority of my rounds at the club where I have a membership, I also will play other places from time to time and I don't want to have to go to pick up my clubs every time I want to play somewhere else. I figure I'll turn some of this ho-ing in to good use, and just have two sets of gamers. I'm questioning whether or not I want to sell some of the random stuff I have an build two identical sets, or if I want to have something different. I'm thinking for consistency sake it'd be better to have the same clubs... but it could be fun to have a different set as well.

By the way, I'm not talking anything expensive (at least for myself). My gamers right now are JPX825 Pros (Ctaper lite shafts), with a Cobra Bio Cell driver, Rocketballz Stg 1 3W, Bio Cell hybrid and MPT4 wedges. I also have a set of Bridgestone J40 CBs with PX shafts, Cleveland CG12 wedges, and a Bio Cell+ 3W. All I'd need to do is get another used driver and I have a backup set... but I was thinking I could also flip the J40s in to another set of 825Pros for better than even up, and flip the 3W into a Rocketballz 3W even up, and have enough money left over to get another Bio Cell driver for like $50.

What do you guys do with your "other" set?

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Used to have two sets of irons. One for normal and second for anything below 50 deg

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

I have 2, they are completely different. One is my new pretty set, all Mizuno - bag, towels, irons, wedges, woods. My other is a combo set of the clubs that have performed best... big bertha driver, adams woods, adams cb3 irons, sm5 wedges. I normally play the new set at my course, and when I travel I take the other. Not sure why, it most likely doenst help my game at all. I may sell the new set who knows, I lean toward the one that works better... obviously! :superman:

• Qi10 Driver
  • Qi10 3w
  • Qi10 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • MG4 / SM10 Wedges
  • Every Putter
  • TP5x Ball

Pride. That is all I feel when I read this.

When I met Kevin he was a one bag kinda guy.......in our first month as friends, I probably rolled through about 4 fairway woods....this was around the time of one of my rabbit hole 3w threads. He thought I was nuts. I noticed him starting to dip a toe into the Sea of Hoebags....tried the SLDR....with an aftermarket shaft! .....then he bought a set of used irons from me.....swapped out the shafts! Bought some more wedges.....bought some cobra woods......bought a set of J40s...

Long story short.....my boy's all grown up!

You already know this, but my point is....make them as similar as possible....don't wanna lose money home or away because you don't have confidence in your sticks! That being said....if you go with 2 differing set ups.....bring the lesser of the two and your wallet whenever we tee it up!

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

I have a normal season set that I use all year and have for the last 2+yrs. After the last official club tournament I put those away and have a couple of "silly season" sets. Those are the ones I change and ho with. Sometimes one of those I use as a travel set. I don't have them set up exactly the same but usually pretty close, especially the shafts.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I had a legitimate 2nd bag that I gamed with regularity. They were similar in their profiles to my primary setup. What I found to be the issue was consistency and confidence. There were times in which I'd wanna play a specific shot that I know my primary could pull off.

With that being said, I'd rather look down at an "old friend" that I know is going to deliver if I deliver.

2nd bag is sold.

@therealping

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that if I play with a set I have less confidence in, that'll be bad for my game. I don't need for both sets to be identical, but I need them to be similar enough that when I pull my 7 iron I know what the ball flight and distance is going to be with a well struck shot no matter which set I happen to be using that day. One thing is for sure, I need to make sure the grips on all the clubs are the same... so much of confidence comes from simply how the club feel in my hand. It's a relatively cheap way to make sure I at least feel something familiar standing at address.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

As long as they feel the same, play as many sets as you like. I have several. 3 playing sets and some "nostalgia" sets.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

legitimately? Pretty much says all you need to know...

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I've always had two sets . One for my regular courses and one for a few cheap goat track courses I play on where hitting a rock in the soil in the fairway is a high possibility.. I've bought some new stuff this yr. so right now I actually have three sets. They are not mirror sets but my new stuff is my regular gamers and the back up set is what my new set replaced.. Right now I'm not sure I like my new set more than my what it is replacing so the previous set is just sitting and the set before that is still my rocky course set. I feel comfortable playing any of those sets that I own so if I had to leave a set somewhere I wouldn't feel the need to have identical sets at two places.

I have two iron sets. When I'm playing on a consistent basis I play with my Cobra S3 pros. If I haven't played in a while then I bring the Adams A4 forged to get me back in the groove.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 60TX
Ping G425 Max 16.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX 
Srixon ZX UT 2/3/4 - KBS C Taper Lite X
Srixon ZX7 5-P - KBS C Taper Lite X
Titleist SM8 Raw 50/54/58 - TI DG S400
Scotty Cameron 2020 Newport 2 

I just bought a new set of JPX 850 forged with C-Tapers that I really love but I'm considering keeping my old Rocketbladez tour with Recoil proto as a winter set because the shaft is softer. It's just going to be real tough to look at the Mizzy's sitting in the house.

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

I keep another set with some relatives so whenever I visit them I can play a few rounds with them without having to fly with the clubs. That's basically my old clubs with one or two clubs thrown in for a complete set. Pretty annoying as the irons I have in that set are crazy long so I keep hitting a lot of shots past the greens. Takes a round or two to calibrate oneself.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

I play two distinctly different sets regularly; one modern and one vintage. They couldn't be more different and yet they are similar. As long as the fit is similar; you know, length, lie and swing weight, you should be able to switch back and forth and feel comfortable within a few shots or a short re-introduction during warm-up on the range.
I don't play competitive rounds and I don't play for money, so I never second guess my choice on the given day. I play the game for enjoyment, the choice of weapons shouldn't have an impact upon that. In fact, I've noticed more angst on the part of my playing partners when I've busted out the vintage; it's like a strange bit of psychology as [b]they[/b] second guess my choice.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well, I have more than 2 sets of irons (am I the only one?), but I do have 2 bags. Different clubs in each (though similar). My second bag I play once a week on Sunday afternoons with my kid. It's about a 3/4 set. The regular bag get used the rest of the time. The Sunday bag is old school blades to keep me honest.

Driver: Adams 4G 12*
Wood: Adams Fast 10 18*
Hybrid: Ping Anser 20*
Irons: Wishon 550M 5-PW
Wedges: Scratch 8620 53
*/58*
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Have at least another set back in NC so that did not have to worry about airline travel when visiting. Since relocating back to NC soon, will definitely have more options for the rotation. The major positive is that I do not keep clubs that have not played well with in the past, so if need a different look from primary set for a bit of a mental/visual reset, confidence and familiarity should not be an issue.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I keep a set back in England that I use whenever I go back, which is at least once a year (and when I am there I use them several times). They are not at all like my regular set, though; just cheap-but-ok clubs that I could get hold of quickly. I still use the putter and wedge from when I was in school.
There are some similarities. I use a Ping driver (G20) here, and my driver in England is also a Ping (Rapture, I think). I have a TM r9 4 wood here, and an r5 3 wood in England. But that's about where the similarities end. Irons are totally different: Forged MP-4s here, cast Cleveland red CBs in England.

• 8 years later...

Old thread bump, because we should use search more.

I’ve been playing two different bags for the majority of this year and working on the swing. I’m coming to the conclusion that you’re throwing consistency out the window (at least for me) and slowing down swing progress when you try to put two sets into play. 

My woods are the same with shafts and swingweight, but my second bag irons/wedges/putter are moderately different. Even with woods, which are identical between two sets, I notice differences when swinging. I’ll take swing feels from one set to the other and they don’t translate as well in terms of results. 

Ymmv, but going to try out a single bag for a bit even though it’s more a pita to carry around to the club and back. 

I’ve been working in another state a lot the past two years and have a bag there and one at home.  I have the same irons (P770s) and TaylorMade wedges in each bag but the top of the bag is different.  

Maybe to your point, my iron and wedge play continues to improve while consistency and gapping is a challenge at the top end of the bags.  I’m on the verge of retiring so that’ll be the opportunity to pare down and keep the best setup.

This was a good thread BTW, thanks for reviving it!

While I've got an embarrassing number of clubs and bags and all manner of assorted golf paraphernalia lurking around my garage (and living room, bedrooms, occasionally bathrooms), I generally always keep two full, recent, playable gaming bags ready (gaming bags as in course ready ... complete set of clubs, balls, towels, tees & etc. - could grab either and head right to the course). 

Over the years a cycle has kind of developed. My Primary bag always has a slow churn going on. I really never buy a full new set at once ... generally replace Driver/FWs, irons, and wedges at different times (OEM releases tend to stagger). But generally every couple years I wind up with a completely new bag. The clubs I'm replacing go to the Secondary bag. So it is a very solid bag I don't mind playing at all - it's but one release cycle old (often newer than what a lot the the non-fanatic guys I play with have), and full of clubs who's characteristics I know well. And, they are deliberately treated as though they'll be played (i.e., not just tossed into the garage as an afterthought) - usually put new grips on any clubs going into the Secondary bag. 

Primary bag is what I play/practice with. Secondary bag has two purposes. First being that I not uncommonly have friends visit, and my Secondary bag is a solid guest bag (and usually has better clubs than whatever they'd rent - in fact, last friend that visited apparently went out and got new Mizuno irons after the visit ... he'd never played Mizzys before and fell in love). But the real purpose is travel, especially international travel. After some bad experiences in the past, I'd never trust airlines with my Primary set. These days I use ShipSticks domestically, and they've been quite good and dependable, but the clubs are still getting flown somewhere - its just that I trust FedEx slightly more than commercial passenger airlines to handle luggage.

[I'd note that these troubles don't just torture us little people. I've heard, more than once, about US pros playing EU or Asian events (mid and lower tier guys, i.e., the ones without NetJets accounts or private planes) that are frantically running around trying to find something to start a tourney with - as while they landed at Heathrow, their clubs inexplicably landed in Madrid or something.]

PS. Love this thread. A "club ho" thread. Suspect the vast majority of America's 25 million golfers have a set of clubs in the garage. Maybe a few random extra clubs with deteriorating grips. Come to WRX and you've got people that not only have second (or third or fourth) bags, but specific strategies and purposes for them. 

This is, of course, possibly a treatable psychological condition. But the first step is admitting you have a problem, and that's unlikely to happen ... 🤣

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag