The 6 Hybrid

cardoustie

Is 27* a 6H? Whether or not it is, I picked one up as an emergency club for when my lower back is crocked and I get shanky with my irons.

I have to say it is weird looking down at a hybrid with that much loft. I've had it in the bag the last 4 rounds, but only used it twice. Easy enough, but I really really like my z745 5I, so I cannot see it being a permanent addition to the bag.

That raises another question, how do you lotsa hybrid guys find anything with all those head covers in there? I actually went on eBay and found a seller who does custom basic coloured (with stripes and/or numbers) knit ones, and got a set of four done up in Canucks/Seahawks type colours. I like the old school knit look, so I reckon I'll try another order with numbers on them:

I play 3 hybrids and the stock covers were large, clunky and always falling off. Club Glove makes a hybrid cover that is black so it matches virtually any bag and fits very tight on them with a Velcro collar.

I picked mine up at Golfsmith.

The headcover issue is a concern. Last offseason I bought a set of Acer React hybrids 6-Pw and sold them without taking them to the course because the covers were so large and if I removed them the paint would have looked shoddy after one round. Bummer too because they actually performed really well.

I just remember putting them in the bag. Every club had a cover other than my SW and LW. 12 headcovers was a bit much

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

i game the adams V4 hybrids from 3-7 and they all have their original black and white headcovers which is great...

and the the lofts are 19,22,25,28 amd 32 degrees respectively so the 6H is 28*...

they are staying in my bag a long time..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I use the all black Xhot version of these. Not quite the same but close:

http://rockettour.com/products/Victory-Stripe-Skinny-Sticks.html

Will order something better at some point, as the all black is getting a bit boring.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

When we talk about club numbers (e.g. "6H" ) vs loft it isn't apples and apples, whether hybrids or irons. My 27* G25 is listed as a 5 iron by Ping. The G25 6 hybrid is 31*.

Some manufacturers list a 28* as a 6H. For me the 27* actually plays more like a 6 1/2 iron, the same was true for my G20 27*.

My 6i stayed in the bag more as I liked it, but I found myself choking down on my "5 hybrid" more often than hitting the 6 last year. No prob choking down on the 23* for the next club if needed.

Today I finally decided to park my 6i and bent the lofts of my 7 and 8 irons to 30* and 34*, then I go 39* for 9 iron.

I think it should work and give me workable gap coverage and versatility through the bag.

I have 24* and 28* adams a12pro hybrids that are supposedly "tour issue". If anybody wants them I'd be more than happy to send them out for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested. Both are in good shape w/ pics available.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

I have 24* and 28* adams a12pro hybrids that are supposedly "tour issue". If anybody wants them I'd be more than happy to send them out for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested. Both are in good shape w/ pics available.

I'll take ''em!!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

To be honest, I've never seen anyone hit a hybrid consistently and have any idea where it was going. They hit it high enough, and long, but all over the place.

I think most would be much better off hitting mid and long irons, all the way to the 3 iron. At least mis-hits will be on line but just short. Not OB, and in the trees or rough.

As recently as the '90's, everyone carried down to a 3 iron, and kept it in on line much better. Hybrid users, check your handicap, it's still the same as it was when you played long irons.

HIt em good

It all depends on what kind of swing you have. If you are a "trapper" or a "digger," hybrids will almost certainly help your game. If you have a more neutral impact or are even the least bit "flippy" at the bottom, then stay away from hybrids. I have quite a bit of forward shaft lean at impact, and hybrids are a no-brainer for me. I'm simply a better golfer with them in my bag, no doubt.

Why would this be the case? Not in disagreement, just genuinely curious as I'm flippy and don't get much shaft lean.

Because hybrids, by their very design, hit the ball higher than their iron counterparts. I think everyone can benefit from a 2-hybrid and a 3-hybrid, but only low(ish) ball hitters need to add the 4, 5 and 6-hybrids to the bag.

s55 six iron back in bag, soft stepping (and correspondingly lengthening) have made my irons darn near magical, wizard time

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

To be honest, I've never seen anyone hit a hybrid consistently and have any idea where it was going. They hit it high enough, and long, but all over the place.

I think most would be much better off hitting mid and long irons, all the way to the 3 iron. At least mis-hits will be on line but just short. Not OB, and in the trees or rough.

As recently as the '90's, everyone carried down to a 3 iron, and kept it in on line much better. Hybrid users, check your handicap, it's still the same as it was when you played long irons.

HIt em good

It all depends on what kind of swing you have. If you are a "trapper" or a "digger," hybrids will almost certainly help your game. If you have a more neutral impact or are even the least bit "flippy" at the bottom, then stay away from hybrids. I have quite a bit of forward shaft lean at impact, and hybrids are a no-brainer for me. I'm simply a better golfer with them in my bag, no doubt.

Why would this be the case? Not in disagreement, just genuinely curious as I'm flippy and don't get much shaft lean.

Because hybrids, by their very design, hit the ball higher than their iron counterparts. I think everyone can benefit from a 2-hybrid and a 3-hybrid, but only low(ish) ball hitters need to add the 4, 5 and 6-hybrids to the bag.

Gotcha - simpler road than I was thinking down. Makes sense. I hit fairways okay but always struggle with hybrids yet still try to use them. Interesting, thanks!

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

• 9 months later...

Update:

I'm back down in the Panhandle

My ebay find ... Adams a12 proto 28* ... came with me .. has a matrix 105x in it now

The shape and small sized footprint is a great complement to my Apex 5h

This club is not going anywhere ... makes my iblade 6i feel like an accuform 1 iron

I can hit it high or low ... and draw, hook and fade it at will

Turning 50 this year and the bag is looking more and more like an LPGA bag daily

Ps .. I can't believe Obee spotted Phil 700 yards and still beat him by 3

PPs .. watching Finau hit 215 yard uphill 5 irons at sea level is a kick in the man chestnuts

EvnRoll ER9

A few comments:

I was one of the last to get on the hybrid train. Used to have to use them in steel shafts and hit some world class hooks with my 3h. Then I moved to a 7w. But now my swing is shallower and more from the inside and hybrids are just plain FUN & EASY (and less hook biased with heavier shafts for me anyways!

I recall Dana Quigley had a 6h when he was a top senior player. Obee beat Phil Mickelson straight up, and he carries a 6h, stud muffin right there. Soooo ...

I am just back from 7 days in Orlando / Myrtle Beach (followed by a detox in Eleuthera Bahamas) and I can't stop thinking about one thing .. How freakin' good I hit my 5h in MB!!

This Cally Apex 5h - with a NVS 105x shaft in it - is like cheating for me. I had many instances where I would hit MUCH better shots with my 5h vs my 7i. I was hitting greens all day down there with the 4h and 5h, It got to the point where I would rather be 200 out vs 175 out. (it was cold and wet and windy ... there were courses I played where I'd previously hit PW into a hole and I was 40 yards back of that 14 days back, felt like 6700 was 7300)

If the Apex came in a 6 .. I'd have to eat my man card and get one. Big single malt needed tonite to bring some manliness back in

That's all I got .. except I need to find a "players" 6h. Sort of an oxymoron I know. Any recommendations to test ?

Have you tried the PXG 28 Hybrid, I play 4 PXG hybrids and practice with a 30 Degree Adams DHY Super Proto. I have 2 sets of shafts for the PXG's. Oban Revenge Hybrid and Graphite Design AD UT Hybrid's. I would highly recommend PXG with either of these shaft options.

Update:

I'm back down in the Panhandle

My ebay find ... Adams a12 proto 28* ... came with me .. has a matrix 105x in it now

The shape and small sized footprint is a great complement to my Apex 5h

This club is not going anywhere ... makes my iblade 6i feel like an accuform 1 iron

I can hit it high or low ... and draw, hook and fade it at will

Turning 50 this year and the bag is looking more and more like an LPGA bag daily

Ps .. I can't believe Obee spotted Phil 700 yards and still beat him by 3

PPs .. watching Finau hit 215 yard uphill 5 irons at sea level is a kick in the man chestnuts

Okay, troublemaker, enough!! LOL

I'm 64, I play a callaway xr os 4,5 and sometimes a 6, if you want an apex 6 try a steelhead xr 6, similar shape with high toe.

Love hybrids.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

At the moment I am finding I am hitting my 2007 Burner 5H straight through to the 7 iron. As someone else said, I'm just so much better with that hybrid than my 6 iron (and that's now with 3 different irons sets, including XR, M2, now HM). I'm funning around with a 64 degree wedge and I may drop the 6 iron and carry the 64 just for fun and see how that goes.

My Burner 3H is another go-to. My Ping G30 2H was really good last year but either the club or my swing has changed (hm......I wonder which it is?). I'm going to be comparing that with my GBB 3 wood clocked to 17* as a 4 wood and compare. I'm on the lookout for the mythical Burner 2 hybrid head but haven't come across it yet (looking for the regular, not TP model, and the original Burner, not the more triangular version that replaced it).

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

HIt em good

Mine isn't. It's much better now.

Same for me.

I have seen some tour issue Adams Pro Mini and others of the players size in 6h. I actually had a 31* I believe it was. That was my go to from 200 yards. My 5h was about 210-215. They went high and landed soft. Plus those were the only 2 clubs in my bag I could consistently hit a draw with.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

I played today and hit two money 6h shots

We're at sea level, 190 over a bulk headed lake. Tough par 3 hole with a left pin 15 feet onto terra firma. Stuffed it to 8 feet with a vey high draw .. I can't hit that shot w a 6 iron, zero chance

Back 9 ... 195 in from left rough on a par 5. Bermuda lie not sitting great. High draw to front of green and ends up 20 feet behind pin

Super impressed

EvnRoll ER9

I haven't put the 6h back in the bag but the 5 just found its way back in for 2017.

Just more consistent with 5h vs the stronger lofted Karsten 5 iron.

The Karsten 6 iron is A-OK for me....

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

A few comments:

I was one of the last to get on the hybrid train. Used to have to use them in steel shafts and hit some world class hooks with my 3h. Then I moved to a 7w. But now my swing is shallower and more from the inside and hybrids are just plain FUN & EASY (and less hook biased with heavier shafts for me anyways!

I recall Dana Quigley had a 6h when he was a top senior player. Obee beat Phil Mickelson straight up, and he carries a 6h, stud muffin right there. Soooo ...

I am just back from 7 days in Orlando / Myrtle Beach (followed by a detox in Eleuthera Bahamas) and I can't stop thinking about one thing .. How freakin' good I hit my 5h in MB!!

This Cally Apex 5h - with a NVS 105x shaft in it - is like cheating for me. I had many instances where I would hit MUCH better shots with my 5h vs my 7i. I was hitting greens all day down there with the 4h and 5h, It got to the point where I would rather be 200 out vs 175 out. (it was cold and wet and windy ... there were courses I played where I'd previously hit PW into a hole and I was 40 yards back of that 14 days back, felt like 6700 was 7300)

If the Apex came in a 6 .. I'd have to eat my man card and get one. Big single malt needed tonite to bring some manliness back in

That's all I got .. except I need to find a "players" 6h. Sort of an oxymoron I know. Any recommendations to test ?

I keep a Cobra Baffler six hybrid in my trunk for two particular courses I play. High-lofted hybrids are money on executive courses, par 3 courses, and short little courses that defend themselves with devilish greens and hitting a dead straight tee ball 200 that doesn't funnel into trouble every single time is pretty good.

I see you've already picked a six hybrid, but I think the Cobra baffler hybrid series is pretty solid for the $$ you can get them for on ebay right now. But yeah, hybrids can be great in the right circumstances on the right courses. I don't typically like them on every course, but off the tee they are like a cheat code. If you fall out of love with the adams, give the cobra baffler series a look.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

A few comments:

I keep a Cobra Baffler six hybrid in my trunk for two particular courses I play. High-lofted hybrids are money on executive courses, par 3 courses, and short little courses that defend themselves with devilish greens and hitting a dead straight tee ball 200 that doesn't funnel into trouble every single time is pretty good.

I see you've already picked a six hybrid, but I think the Cobra baffler hybrid series is pretty solid for the $$ you can get them for on ebay right now. But yeah, hybrids can be great in the right circumstances on the right courses. I don't typically like them on every course, but off the tee they are like a cheat code. If you fall out of love with the adams, give the cobra baffler series a look.

The Adams and I did date night last night ... oysters and La La Land. I'm still in love

Fwiw ... Not sure why the movie is getting crazy solid reviews

EvnRoll ER9

i have the Adams V4 in 19* 3H, 22* 4H, 25* 5H, 28* 6H, 32* 7H and the forged irons 6-P.G,S and L....

the 6H and 7H are exactly the same length as the 6 and 7 forged irons...

i hit the 6H and 7H longer,higher and more consistently than their equivalent irons so those irons are just resting right now and occasionally see some range use..

i have the stock 55-gram mitsubishi rayon lite graphite shafts on mine and i don't see them being replaced anytime soon......

I play almost that same setup currently. 7-pw are regular flex. I cannot imagine easier clubs to hit, they're great.

R9 460 10.5 L flex 46"

COBRA Baffler XL 17* FW
COBRA Baffler XL 22* 25* 28* hybrids
Hand ground Bazooka QLS 7-PW

Component Wedges 50* 54* 60* 63*
(hand grinds) torched 

Heavy Putter B2m 38" Ust FF shaft
Rife Switchback XL (custom long neck) 34" UST FF 

I play 3-6 in g20 hybrids, got them shafted with nv 105s, great match for me, love the shape of the heads, the 6 is 31°. I used to play g5 hybrids, also great ones, if you want to experiment with smaller size an a mux of an iron and wood, g5 are it.

[size=2]G25 8.5° phenom NL 60 s[/size]
[size=2]xcg7 13° fuel ts 70 s[/size]
[size=2]G20 16.5° nvs 85 s tipped 1.75"[/size]
[size=2]G20 3,4,5 & 6 hybrids nv 105 s[/size]
[size=2]G25 7-u irons s300 ssx1 +1"[/size]
[size=2]EYE XG s & l wedges 8 iron x100[/size]
[size=2]G2 ally c ss fatso 5.0[/size]

Good lord .. problem here

Scooped a Cally XF 6i for twenty from my fitter

Hitting it like a freak show champ ... feel is soooo good

Great blend visually btw Apex 5h and x-proto 7i ... loving the Cally blades since tweaking loft and lies ... and lengths

EvnRoll ER9

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say that right now the Cally Razr XF 6i is winning the winter battle against the Adams a12 proto 28*. (Even after tossing the old faithful NVS105x shaft in the Adams)

I think the black coloring may help mask the size of the iron. The offset is not bugging me at all

It's easier to hit cuts with this SGI six iron. Anyways, it was a good $20 spend

Does anyone know of Monty still plays this set of irons?

The real test will be this summer off of hard fairway lies, at that point my blade 6 iron may go back into rotation

EvnRoll ER9

The oldest clubs in my bag are a 5&6 TM Burner Rescue circa 2009. I've tried a lot of hybrids over the years, but these just gave me the best trajectory and didn't hook much. Now I've added a Callaway Xhot 11 wood that I will never get rid of. Some may call it a girly club, until they see it from 175 out fall out of the sky and back up a foot on the green. I only carry 7-ow iron wise, I would replace the 7 with a hybrid if I could find a decent one. Hope the USGA doesn't outlaw these things....

some of those old cally lofted fairways are simply awesome

Fairways do not hook as much as hybrids for me on toe misses

I have some older heavy tour spec 97g & 110g fuji shafts ... I think I will toss one of them in my steelhead 9w and have a shootout with that vs. my ping 4h, they are both 23*

That might be a nice blend to follow the v-series 3w and 7w

EvnRoll ER9

A few comments:

One important unanswered question from this thread: which big single malt?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse