2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2016 US Open Discussion Thread

PZero

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tour needs to enter the modern day world. All the standing around with player and caddy staring into their yardage books is like waiting in the grocery line waiting for Grandpa to write a check.
Then don't watch

Good point. We all tune in to listen to Ernie and his Caddy have a riveting discussion to see if the bunker they are standing in front of corresponds to the bunker on their yardage book. Given the technology available it is insanity. They are letting these guys use space age equipment to drive the ball 300 yds plus and to minimize curvature and let them use topographical maps of the greens, yet they are out there roaming around fairways looking for sprinkler heads. The logical disconnect is insane.

Golf is a sport played outdoors. Weather can, and will, be an issue at times no matter where the event is held. The majority of the field was forced to finish the first round of the 2000 US Open at Pebble Beach on Friday after dense fog set in. Fog delayed play several times at Olympic Club in 2012, Pebble Beach in 2010 and Torrey Pines in 2008.

Pop-up storms may not be an issue on the west coast but they do have their own unique circumstances that could impact play.

Well said. In the original post complaining about the weather, the poster called this event a "fiasco."

Yeah, a splash-and-dash storm is quite the fiasco. Quite the black eye for the USGA...

Pop-up thunderstorms are a virtual every day occurrence for anyone east of the Rocky Mountains from April through October. I'm not sure what more the USGA could do short of building a dome around Oakmont.

Some people aren't realistic and have higher expectations for everyone else than they do themselves.

I'm just glad some of these guys aren't dealing with a Scottish summer!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I see Holly toned down the street wear today....

My wife yesterday: "What the F$@K is she wearing???"

(She's a 4th grade teacher and I haven't heard an F-Bomb out of her in at least a year)

Count yourself lucky! You guys get Holly over this side of the Pond we get Monty.

LOL I think Holly takes too much heat on this board. She's does a pretty good job and let's face it she's pretty darn attractive by average people standards.

I still miss Win McMurry though! :swoon:

Do we have pics of Holly yesterday and today, im at work.

Golf is a sport played outdoors. Weather can, and will, be an issue at times no matter where the event is held. The majority of the field was forced to finish the first round of the 2000 US Open at Pebble Beach on Friday after dense fog set in. Fog delayed play several times at Olympic Club in 2012, Pebble Beach in 2010 and Torrey Pines in 2008.

Pop-up storms may not be an issue on the west coast but they do have their own unique circumstances that could impact play.

Well said. In the original post complaining about the weather, the poster called this event a "fiasco."

Yeah, a splash-and-dash storm is quite the fiasco. Quite the black eye for the USGA...

Pop-up thunderstorms are a virtual every day occurrence for anyone east of the Rocky Mountains from April through October. I'm not sure what more the USGA could do short of building a dome around Oakmont.

Some people aren't realistic and have higher expectations for everyone else than they do themselves.

Do you even leave the house?

the rain seems to have slowed down these greens quite a bit. Nothing like they were all fearing.

As the weekend wears on, they'll dry out. It's supposed to be warm today with no rain.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Have the late/early tee times is certainly an advantage.

Oh no doubt. The AM tee times yesterday got screwed. Some of those dudes played something like 10-12 holes spread out over in 8-9 hours. Then back at the course at 6AM, then finish, then 5 or 6 hours off, then try to get in as many as possible. And that's not even mentioning the conditions they played in--that's just their schedule. Brutal. Big advantage to those who didn't play yesterday.

the rain seems to have slowed down these greens quite a bit. Nothing like they were all fearing.

As the weekend wears on, they'll dry out. It's supposed to be warm today with no rain.

I hope it does. It's quite a contrast to early yesterday. I almost kinda feel bad for guys that went early. Almost

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

YAY! GOLF!

It still blows me away that he keeps dragging Williams along on all the Majors. You don't develop a caddie relationship and his skill in Majors by benching him during these events.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Do you even leave the house?

Only with waterproofs and three layers underneath!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Is adam scott playing the titleist D2? love his aggressive play off the tee!

From the Tour Equipment forum, he has been using the D2 since around the beginning of the year, certainly that's what he was using when he went on his little winning streak in February and March.

If he is driving it as he can, that driver is a huge weapon for him. I'm not sure how it is working out last year but I think for the last couple of years he was one of the few in the select club who averaged 300+ yards off the tee and still hit 60+% of fairways off the tee.

Thanks for the response, just wanted to make sure, his driving is fun to watch. Averaging 300 yrds is such a huge advantage over the field.

***U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP ALERT ***

U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP SPECTATOR GATES, PARKING LOTS

NOW OPEN

OAKMONT, Pa. (June 17, 2016, 10:20 AM) – All spectator entry gates and parking lots for the 2016 U.S. Open Championship opened at 8 a.m. Friday at Oakmont Country Club.

Both the Red and Blue complimentary parking lots are operational with minor capacity modifications. Spectators are encouraged to carpool for optimal parking conditions. As some transportation routes may change through the day, fans should carefully watch for updated trail signage and follow support personnel along all routes.

While meteorologists on site anticipate drier weather through the day, ticket holders should be prepared for wet, muddy ground conditions. A sunny forecast is expected through the weekend.

Ticket holders should visit usopen.com or the official 2016 U.S. Open app for the latest championship scores, news, weather and transportation alerts.

Due to reduced parking capacity, Thursday tickets cannot be exchanged for Friday or weekend rounds.

Information and updates will continue to be posted at www.usopen.com/knowbeforeyougo or on the official 2016 U.S. Open mobile app.

Questions regarding ticketing can be directed to [email protected] or 800-698-0661.

For the good of the game®

G400 10.5* / TOUR AD GP-6s
915F 15* / S+ 70s
M4 3H / HZRDUS 85s
Z565 TI 4-P / NS PRO 1050GHs
588-RTX 50*/54*/58*
POTENZA TOUR FLOW

This course is so boring to look at. Every view looks the same....

Why can't the USGA have more US Opens in the south?

Never thought I would say this about Oakmont but I was thinking the same exact thing.

I know we're supposed to not like trees but the women's pga at Salhalee (spelling?) last week was magnificent with all those trees.

And bring the US Open to Texas!

I know it would be really difficult to do but, the US Open s/b scheduled for another time of the year. When it is played in the NE area of the USA, the weather makes it a nightmare!! :crazy: So much of what countless thousands of people and businesses pay for and expect to receive, they never get! This US Open in Oakmont is a perfect example! How do you follow a "Fiasco" like this? I paid a lot of money for a complete USGA package for the 09 US Open at Bethpage Black. It took 8 days to complete with a Monday finish because of RAIN, and many things that I paid for, I never received, and many of our plans were ruined because of the back up and schedule changes. You can't control the weather but you can increase the odds of good weather by having the championship at a different time of the year. Just Sayin' :rolleyes:

Just put the U.S. Open at famed and fabled Riviera every year. :)

Pebble baby, Pebble!!!

Agree that it seems very easy to rely on good weather on the west coast this time of year. Unfortunate for midwest/east coast venues. Makes you wonder if the usga was located in los angeles or san francisco what the rota would look like

Problem is if you can't have a major in the east in the middle of June, when can you have it? You'd pretty much have to have the US Open and the PGA on the west coast every year.

Oh for sure I understand that its part of life for us all away from the west coast and California specifically, just making conversation. Besides, Id much rather watch oakmont than torrey because its a better/tougher course befitting the open

This course is so boring to look at. Every view looks the same.

A line about Oakmont from Golf Club Atlas:

"... there is something appealing in the course's desire to be unappealing. It is the Charles Bronson of golf courses – no special effects are necessary."

Unless you consider 200 bunkers, high thick rough, and greens that stimp out at 14 as "special effects".

Do that at my home course and it would be just as tough as Oakmont. Just saying.

I know it would be really difficult to do but, the US Open s/b scheduled for another time of the year. When it is played in the NE area of the USA, the weather makes it a nightmare!! :crazy: So much of what countless thousands of people and businesses pay for and expect to receive, they never get! This US Open in Oakmont is a perfect example! How do you follow a "Fiasco" like this? I paid a lot of money for a complete USGA package for the 09 US Open at Bethpage Black. It took 8 days to complete with a Monday finish because of RAIN, and many things that I paid for, I never received, and many of our plans were ruined because of the back up and schedule changes. You can't control the weather but you can increase the odds of good weather by having the championship at a different time of the year. Just Sayin' :rolleyes:

Just put the U.S. Open at famed and fabled Riviera every year. :)

Pebble baby, Pebble!!!

Torrey baby...TORREY!!!

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Golf is a noun as well as a transative verb, which is just an action verb with no direct object. If proper grammar gets under your skin, maybe you should sign up for some English classes at the local CC...

I'll let you go to the first tee and tell the guys you want to golf with them and have a beer with them after you have golfed your ball........ You might find yourself playing alone and wondering why your proper grammar didn't work so well.

Oh, and BTW, it's not a "transative verb" It's also not a "transitive verb". It's an intransitive verb. If you can't spell it, maybe you should go to a local CC for help.