2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New Titleist 917 driver: shot at the 2016 Quicken Loans National

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT PICS!!! But.......was hoping to see comparison of 915 vs 917 from address.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Just viewed the pic's of the D2 that is on the home page, Ugly would be understated! The shape is disgusting to look at, and the face graphics look like a driver sold at Costco! Hopefully the D3 is better!

If one just changes the "D" for an "M" I would think that I am reading a TMAG thread!

The shape of the D2 is what bothers me, I'm not a hater'. I just do not like the shape, the face is growing on me though. I will probably buy the D3, no I will buy the D3, but I am a Callaway guy who is holding out for a 460 SZ. I am a GolfWrx ho' after all.

The M' series from TMAG are some of the best looking drivers I have seen in awhile, very long too.

I was the same way when changing from the 913D3 to the 915D2. Trackman numbers where better with the D2, but it didn't look right. However, after a few rounds, the shape did not bother me at all.

I was exactly the same. I had always been a D3 lover but switched over to the D2 after seeing the Trackman numbers and it's been a solid performer. I am looking at the 917D3 though and thinking it does look so much better.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

That D2 is hideous

Well it's a golf club...so....

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

That D2 is hideous

Well it's a golf club...so....

Underrated post!

tumblr_lyfq24mkXy1r6jujzo5_r1_250.gif

lH0loKa.png

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

Been waiting for the Congressional and this post to follow.

1: Is the crown the same color as the 816H hybrids? I don't mind white, blue, or most other colors, but for some reason found the 816H silver crown distracting.

2: Does anyone have address comparison pics?

Ping driver
Taylormade fairways
Adams irons
Vokey and CG wedges
Yes! putter
W/S and Vice balls
Nike shoes
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212980-stillboards-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...illboards-witb/[/url]

Yeah, I am curious about the reasoning behind the weighting system. What choice is there to move weight farther back (for more forgiveness and more spin) versus toward the face (for less forgiveness but less spin)?

I love the gray paint.

I wish the face was (more) plain stainless.

I am maybe most interested in how they got it to be more quiet than 915's.

They did reduce spin, but they wanted to still have an MOI that helps golfers. The Titleist Tech guy I spoke to confirmed that the axis of the weight bar allows the CG to be moved left and right without changing the MOI. The weight bar allows golfers to optimize a draw, neutral, or fade biased driver.

I have no doubt you and many others are aware of this, but low spin and less forgiveness as a result of low MOI is not actually the best option. Many great players on tour prefer the higher MOI models, like unto the Ping G series (the highest MOI available), which keeps them consistent. It's just us, the consumer's thirst for distance, that drives the idea of low spin equalling distance. And even then, the shaft has a huge say in what your spin rates will be anyway.

I even noticed DJ's M1 set up at the US Open had the weight all the way back to increase MOI.

I met with the for VP of Golf Clubs for Titleist a few years ago and we discussed current market trends with drivers. MOI and consistency are huge factors that Titleist still focuses on heavily, because they know most of us need it.

I was also told by Titleist that they created the movable weight on the new 917 to enable them to weight the club quickly for tour player preference. The tour van often had to internally weight the driver for specific players. This new feature allows them to do it quickly.

Of the club manufactures out there, it is my experience that Titleist really takes into consideration what tour players want, then implements that into their design process. I'd also claim that Titleist is the slowest to concede to consumer demand for the next and best, greatest, awesome feature. Not to mention the patent jungle they have to navigate.

Anyways, in short. Titleist's goal has always been to make a consistent driver.

With the 917, Titleist did lower spin, improved acoustics and still maintained a great MOI for longer, more consistent results. For that I'd say +1 to them.

Whether it competes well with the other offerings on the market is to be determined.

Avian 455 TL, 8.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 14.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 19º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70X
Titleist T200 4 iron, 24º, project X 6.5
Avian 335 blades, 5-9 irons, OBAN CT-125X

Titleist Vokey SM9 48.10F, TT X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 RAW 52.12F, 56.10F, 60.04T, TT S400

Weston Putters - Highland, KBS GPS 120

Launch Monitor - FlightScope Mevo+

Instagram

Looks like the majority of guys have it in play today. Interested to see who keeps it in play for the weekend.

Where are getting to see it in play? Are you at Congressional right now or am I missing something on TV?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Looks like the majority of guys have it in play today. Interested to see who keeps it in play for the weekend.

Where are getting to see it in play? Are you at Congressional right now or am I missing something on TV?

Just look at the Wednesday photos on golfwrx. J Thomas even switched.

2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
TM P790 UDI #2
TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
TM Spider Putter

I really wish they'd have gone back to the old alignment aid... I'd have bought the club for that reason alone. On a whim I played a round today with my 913s which are set up with the same shafts and specs as my 915s and it struck me that the 913 head shape and alignment aid is so much more appealing and confidence-inspiring than the 915s, and I don't think I gave up more than a yard or two on any given swing. I'll be curious to see how the cup face changes my opinion, and how the fairway wood incorporates the same technology...

Titleist TS3 9.5 Tour AD UB 6x
Titleist TS3 15 Tour AD DI 7x
Titleist 917 F2 18 Tour AD DI 8x or U500 3 AMT White
Titleist T100 4-9 AMT White
Vokey SM8 46.10F SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08F DG Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350gm

I talked to a few Titleist players on Tuesday and everyone is really enjoying the new 917. They were shooting some player reaction stuff at the Quicken loans this week as well which was funny to watch. Players trying to "act" lol. in any case the players I spoke with on course without anyone else around really enjoyed it.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Assuming/hoping the SureFit grip will be an option. Although attaching a GameGolf tag would be tough.

[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Titleist 917 D2 9.25° - OBAN Devotion6 (65g) 4-Flex PUREd[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3W: Titleist 917 F2 15° - OBAN Devotion7 (75g) 4-Flex PUREd[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3H: Titleist 816 H2 21° - Fujikura Pro 83 Hybrid Stiff[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]4H: Srixon ZU65 23° - Fujikura Pro 95i Stiff[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons: PING S55 5-PW - Nippon 1150GH Taper Stiff PUREd[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wedges: PING Glide 2.0 50° Stealth 54° & 58° - Nippon 1150GH Taper Stiff PUREd[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 - Balance Certified AMT counter weight - Super Stroke Pistol GTR 1.0[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ball: Titleist Pro V1[/font][/size][/color]<br /><br />[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][url="http://gamegolf.com/player/loupus"][color=#808080]GameGolf[/color][/url][/font][/size]

I was also told by Titleist that they created the movable weight on the new 917 to enable them to weight the club quickly for tour player preference. The tour van often had to internally weight the driver for specific players. This new feature allows them to do it quickly.

Does this mean they don't expect to be doing much hot melt in the future?

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

Still no one who can confirm if a 915 SureFit will go in to the 917??

Yes it does, pro's were simply pulling their existing shafts out of 915 and installing in 917

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

They did reduce spin, but they wanted to still have an MOI that helps golfers. The Titleist Tech guy I spoke to confirmed that the axis of the weight bar allows the CG to be moved left and right without changing the MOI. The weight bar allows golfers to optimize a draw, neutral, or fade biased driver.

[...]

Anyways, in short. Titleist's goal has always been to make a consistent driver.

With the 917, Titleist did lower spin, improved acoustics and still maintained a great MOI for longer, more consistent results. For that I'd say +1 to them.

Whether it competes well with the other offerings on the market is to be determined.

Many of the design philosophies you wrote about is why I really like Titleist and Ping. These two OEMs have historically shied away from the movable weight race. They've also been a lot slower to jump on other adjustability because they don't want to sacrifice the weight costs associated with the adjustable hosels and weights (esp. Ping). Unlike TM and Callaway, these two take a much more paced approach.

You can see it here with the 917s: one weight plug that just inserts and has essentially 3 effects, neutral, draw, fade CG biases. They didn't really go for aggressive front to back weighting either. Maybe for the 919?

If you look at TM, they've gone very aggressive with MWT and hosel adjustability and now with their M1 you have two sliding weights and a carbon crown. Kitchen sink mentality. Callaway has two vertical weight ports in their Alpha 816 for combinations of draw/fade and vertical CG bias.

There's nothing wrong with the more aggressive approach, but I have to wonder if there are sacrifices made in adding all those features in there. The M1 and 816 would be great for tinkerers though. The other thing is perhaps too much adjustability could be bad for the average golfer. I see a lot of golfers on the range (and even on the course believe it or not) that can't stop changing the settings on their driver. It would drive me nuts if I had that many options. I like the lines of thinking "get fit, then forget it".

I like what Titleist have done with their drivers. Back when I started playing, I've always felt their marketing to be extremely snobby and aimed at the "better player" but in more recent years they've transitioned into making more forgiving, and like you say, consistent drivers with higher MOI. Their marketing seemingly reflects the attitude change as well showing mere "plebby scrubs" with AP1s on the course. Trying to catch up to the G series Titleist?

The 9xx series of drivers isn't quite up to G standards of forgiveness but really, what is? They've improved over their predecessors.

I do agree, the D2 looks bulbous in a weird way. Looks like they've pushed out the corners to bring the weight out to the edges. I have some pics which point out the areas on the D2 that look strange but the uploader is giving me issues so I can't add them here.

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 / 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D S200

TITLEIST FLOWBACK 5 / SPECIAL SELECT

Anyone hear a street price yet?

My best guess is $449. I can't see it starting with a $5xx. If they do $499, the M1 will most likely end up in more bags than the 917 will. This of course is all speculation, considering I haven't hit the 917 yet.