Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

43 minutes ago, Girevik said:

Same can be said for pets, and small children.

Not sure you should put these in the trunk in any temperature, but I'm no expert.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

14 hours ago, lefthack said:

Not sure you should put these in the trunk in any temperature, but I'm no expert.

Maybe 20 years ago we went to a movie (at a theater, remember those?) and were a upset to see a pickup truck in the parking lot with a dog locked in it. It wasn't an especially hot day but you could tell the dog was in distress. But a police car arrived on the scene and the cops were going to break the dog out if they couldn't find the owners so we went on in the theater.

After we were seated but before the movie started a cop came in and asked who was driving a pickup truck license plate such and such. A middle-aged couple sitting down front raised their hand. 

He told them, "Get up and come with me" and the guy said, "Nah, we're good". He seemed drunk or high, slurring words. The cop said, "Get up. What I mean is you're both under arrest" and  marched them out of the theater. My wife and I started clapping and the whole crowd joined in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Girevik said:

I must be transporting the seafood home from Costo wrong then.  I usually put it in the trunk with anything else I buy.

I didn't mention seafood, just pets and kids. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

My usual course tends to have pretty receptive greens, but I had three shots into par 3's at about 175 yards with a 6i that I stopped dead next to the ball mark with the K3.2 on Sunday. Not to mention the 9i that kicked back 3 feet on another hole. 

It's nice to be able to stop a ball when I need it to stop.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Finally able to pick some 3.2s up here on Vancouver Island.

I won't be able to test them in play until Thursday, but chipped and putted extensively today.  My current gamer is the Zstar XV, and also use TP5x/ProV1x commonly.

Chipping was great.  Tiny click and tons of check, actually felt most like a vice pro to me.  I was noticing slightly lower launch then I'm used to when hitting 20-40yd pitches, but still came out in a good window.

Putter was noticeably softer feel than the XV, felt more like the standard Zstar or even chrome soft.  Rolled well, distance control was perfectly acceptable.

I have played the original 3 piece quite a bit, spun too much off the driver and irons for me (like many other have said).  I'm willing to give up a few yards driving and with irons if the 3.2 helps me stop balls on the rock hard greens at my course this summer.  

20 hours ago, Gata said:

My store only had a few boxes of 3.2's out and several pallets of Callaway Hex Tours that I guess they have started carrying again.  

I hope the return of the Callaway doesn't mean they will be phasing out the V2 when the new 4 piece hits but it's not ready yet so the Callaway will fill the gap.

Sto Pro Veritate

23 hours ago, Gata said:

My store only had a few boxes of 3.2's out and several pallets of Callaway Hex Tours that I guess they have started carrying again.  

I remember them carrying the Hex Tour Soft before. I can’t recall them carrying Hex Tour (no Soft). I could very easily have missed those being on the shelves there before though.

On 6/15/2021 at 2:33 PM, Gata said:

I came in here to post this exactly lol I was just there and I was staring at the double dozen of the Callaway HX Tour balls they had. I know nothing about them but 24 Callaway balls for $30 seemed like a good deal so I bought them.

Has anybody played them before? Are the a decent ball? 

16 hours ago, akronswitness said:

I came in here to post this exactly lol I was just there and I was staring at the double dozen of the Callaway HX Tour balls they had. I know nothing about them but 24 Callaway balls for $30 seemed like a good deal so I bought them.

Has anybody played them before? Are the a decent ball? 

they are probable decent for other balls in that range but am pretty sure they are not urethane like the 3.2 so likely a lot less spin around the green 

22 minutes ago, Gata said:

they are probable decent for other balls in that range but am pretty sure they are not urethane like the 3.2 so likely a lot less spin around the green 

Yep they are a perfectly normal, typical, older model Surlyn ball from Callaway. If playing a urethane ball still cost 40/dozen and up that HX Tour is the kind of ball you'd settle for if you could only afford around $15-$20/dozen. 

In this day and age, give 'em a hard pass. Not an attractive value-vs-performance proposition at all. Just a generic el cheapo ball. 

Edited by North Butte

Was mildly curious, and with a little time on my hands before heading to the golf course.....   I was remembering the old MacGregor golfballs sold by Golfsmith.  They sold a performance ball for a rather low price.  It was later rumored to be a previous model Srixon ball (Z-URS, possibly). 

Performance can be tweaked with surprisingly small changes to dimple sizes, but it seems that companies tend to stick with familiar dimple counts.  Or so it seems to me, possibly in a bout of confirmation bias on my part.

So I decided to do a little Ctrl-F in the USGA Conforming Ball List.  🙂 

The KSig v3.2 has 338 dimples.  As it turns out, there are a number of listings that also have 338 dimples.  There are a couple entries for Japan model balls that I've not heard of, a small number of Bridgestone balls, and then a whole slew of Srixon models.  

I found that interesting.  I'm not saying these are older model Srixon premium balls, or just older model Srixon molds, only that I find it interesting that 338 is a number that's fairly exclusive to Srixon (in practice), and to a lesser extent, Bridgestone.

See what happens when you have a day off and too much time on your hands?  LOL

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, North Butte said:

Uh-oh. If we're going to start talking about hitting ANY ball worth a darn I'm in big trouble. 

If I may extrapolate a little - I can't hit these balls worth a darn with a driver.  From about 7iron on down, they're pretty awesome.  They don't have the same stopping power as Bridgestone E6's (I've left many ball marks on many greens with the e6's' the Ksigs have never dug in that far on me).  Ksigs don't have the same distance as Top Flite Gamers for me, especially on short Par 3's.

But:
I can't hit Pro V1's worth a darn.  I can't hit Bridgestone Tour B330's or Tour RX's worth a darn.  I can't hit tour balls in general worth a darn.  They all play the same, to me, as Kirkland Sigs.

All that being said, I love the feel of Ksigs - there's a little bit of heft, like you'd get from a PV1.  The quality is tangible.  I'll definitely keep using the remaining 4 dozen I have, but I don't feel like they're "my" ball at this juncture.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

I've left some pretty deep ball marks with the Ksig, but I never equated marks with spin.  I always thought it was more about ball height and angle/ speed which it hits the green. 

I've also hit some really good drives with it lately too,  but evidently those with superior swing speeds to mine don't have great results off the tee. If you're in that boat you may well be better off with something different.  Play what you like and like what you play. 

Sto Pro Veritate

1 hour ago, Girevik said:

I've left some pretty deep ball marks with the Ksig, but I never equated marks with spin.  I always thought it was more about ball height and angle/ speed which it hits the green. 

I've also hit some really good drives with it lately too,  but evidently those with superior swing speeds to mine don't have great results off the tee. If you're in that boat you may well be better off with something different.  Play what you like and like what you play. 

I normally play the Snell MTB-X and am trying out the left dash ProV1. A swing change has really improved my driver lately, and I'm hitting a couple of drives 320 plus per round. It hasn't been too crowded lately, so when I can, I'll hit a second shot with the KSig V2 3 piece. Usually about 5 yards shorter than the two I've been playing. Super long ball, zips back on the greens almost too much for me, but the best one dollar ball ever made.

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

I ran the KSig 3.1 on the course yesterday.  Driver was longer than I expected, actually surprised me.  Irons were also reasonable distance; may have given up a half club but the ball sat down quickly, which I was looking for.

I've been a high spin player over the years, but age appears to be taking that from me.  My course tends to have firm greens normally, and we've had little rain of late, thought it worth seeing what a bit of extra spin would give me.

Pleasantly surprised.  😊

The high point was the partial wedge pitch performance.  Got instant stopping power on the 50-80 yd wedge shots, generally one hop and velcro.  Used that to advantage on a couple holes.

Even wind play was reasonable. It drifts a bit more in sidewinds than the Duo Pro I've been playing, but still what I would term decent wind performance.

As my stash of balls is winding down, I may have to think about rejoining Club KSig...

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 6/19/2021 at 2:41 PM, NRJyzr said:

I ran the KSig 3.1 on the course yesterday.  Driver was longer than I expected, actually surprised me.  Irons were also reasonable distance; may have given up a half club but the ball sat down quickly, which I was looking for.

How do you know it was a 3.1 and not a 3.2?

Sto Pro Veritate

19 minutes ago, Girevik said:

How do you know it was a 3.1 and not a 3.2?

Fair question.  🙂  I bought them before the 3.2 was released. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Girevik said:

Sorry,  misread your post.   Thought you said you FOUND one.   Still don't know how to tell them apart if they aren't in a box. 

No worries  🙂

It seems you can tell them apart based on finish, but I haven't managed to commit the differences to memory.  

• Like 1