2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I am starting to hate early tee times

herdman

A fellow Wrx'er and I just got out for a round on Monday Morning. He played well, and I played.. not my best on the front, but we weren't horribly slow. We weren't looking for balls, etc.

We were being pushed really hard for the majority of the front 9. It was annoying to both of us and we finished the front in an hour and a half, so slow play wasn't an issue, but the guys behind us were just always right there. They tee'd off as soon as we hit our second shots on one, so they clearly didn't wait for their tee time. The issue was they really never caught up either.. They must've been taking an exuberant amount of time on the greens, because they were awfully speedy once they tee'd off.

At the turn, we decided we would go inside and grab a snack, a drink, and let them pass. Well, we get out, and they still hadn't passed. We wait for a minute on the tee box, still nothing, so we tee'd up. Just as I got the tee in the ground, they showed up, and we let them through.

Sure enough, both tee off in under a minute. Both go OB, both take another 4-5 shots to get to the green, albeit they hit them very quickly, and we gave them a little extra time and tee'd off. Within 2-3 holes, we were all caught up. It didn't bother us, so we just took some extra time as there was no one behind us.

It brought to lite, a sneaking suspicion I'd been having, that some groups just want to have other golfers in front of them. They didn't finish any faster than us. Didn't follow the cart path only rules (heavy down pours the night before so the course was a bit fragile), and didn't take any time doing anything..

We also had the discussion between us that it wouldn't take them any more time, total, to take 20 seconds to hit a shot that actually got some where than it would to hit 3 shots with no preparation, and shoot 20 strokes worse.

Me and my buddy always try and get first tee time on Saturdays at one of our favorite courses. I love being up at 5 AM and driving to the course with my coffee in hand. It's very peaceful and is my favorite time of the week. However, this course has started to let people off the back 9...we thought it was a one time thing, but it happens every week now. We have to find a new course, which sucks. Can't believe they have made this a practice on busy Saturday mornings. Front nine takes 1:45 and back nine takes about an hour longer!!!! ahhhh

Ping 425 Max 10.5//Tensei AV Orange 65g Xstiff

Ping 425 Max 5 Wood//Tensei AV Orange 75 g Xstiff

Ping i210 Irons (3-PW)//DG X100

Ping Glide 3.0 52//56//60

TaylorMade Spider X Copper 

I like to play whenever I can

I play at 7 on the weekend cause I have kids and other stuff I want to do too

Part of the fun is getting it going right off the trunk slam

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

I feel like the first 10 tee times of the day should be saved for people playing better than bogey golf. 18 handicap verfication required. Then you know you can keep the course on time for the morning rounds and the traps will be raked, ball marks repaired, etc.

NO 5-SOMES BEFORE NOON PERIOD!! EVER AT ALL COURSES! :censored2: :angry22:

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

As I posted earlier I LOVE early tee times. Especially in the summer because I can beat the heat if I am with the wife - she doesn't like 100 degrees without a pool or an ocean. Or I can marathon it.

But this past Saturday my wife and I slept in late, relaxed around the house literally all day long, and around 3 pm finally decided that perhaps an afternoon round might be in order. So I called a local course I haven't played in awhile and they said they were wide open.

We arrived around 3:45 and teed of just before 4. It was, in a word, awesome.

We didn't see anyone until around 14 and even then we were never held up. Nice pace of play frankly.

The weather was awesome. A little hot but there was a nice breeze and so it wasn't too awful.

The course was in great shape.

There was only one bad thing - we have been getting a LOT of rain lately and I guess they were not able to cut the greens - they were thick and slow. And the later the round got the slower the greens seemed to get. On 17 I hit a great iron shot into about 5 or 6 feet - and then proceeded to hit my putt right online only to have some furry grass completely divert it away from the break. I was funny to watch - rolled like one of those joke golf balls that cannot roll straight because of the weight.

The sum is simple. I frankly think I like afternoon rounds enough to go out and take it on again! Will I still do the "dawn patrol"? Absolutely! But I have to admit it's nice to know that, on those lazy days when getting up just doesn't seem appealing, the wife and I can still go out and get 18 in. We were done and home by 7! Got to love that!!!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I feel like the first 10 tee times of the day should be saved for people playing better than bogey golf. 18 handicap verfication required. Then you know you can keep the course on time for the morning rounds and the traps will be raked, ball marks repaired, etc.

I don't care about one's skill level as long as they rake, repair and play those early tee times well under the POP posted (thus not creating a backlog come the back 9).

I can agree with this, but it's just not what I've seen from the first groups out in the morning. I've played at 8-9 am most of the summer and there's been plenty of instances where the course was beat up already (in relation to the amount of people that had played it by this point.)

I'm on the fence about early tee times down here in Houston. Yes it's cooler, but after a few holes the dew evaporating makes it ungodly humid and steamy. I prefer walking and will always do so in the morning.

If you wait until the afternoon you can usually get a cart for the same price as a morning walking rate. It helps surviving the summer PM sun and heat.

Winter time, I'm walking all day every day. 40-50 degrees means ice age down here and all the courses are empty!.

A fellow Wrx'er and I just got out for a round on Monday Morning. He played well, and I played.. not my best on the front, but we weren't horribly slow. We weren't looking for balls, etc.

We were being pushed really hard for the majority of the front 9. It was annoying to both of us and we finished the front in an hour and a half, so slow play wasn't an issue, but the guys behind us were just always right there. They tee'd off as soon as we hit our second shots on one, so they clearly didn't wait for their tee time. The issue was they really never caught up either.. They must've been taking an exuberant amount of time on the greens, because they were awfully speedy once they tee'd off.

At the turn, we decided we would go inside and grab a snack, a drink, and let them pass. Well, we get out, and they still hadn't passed. We wait for a minute on the tee box, still nothing, so we tee'd up. Just as I got the tee in the ground, they showed up, and we let them through.

Sure enough, both tee off in under a minute. Both go OB, both take another 4-5 shots to get to the green, albeit they hit them very quickly, and we gave them a little extra time and tee'd off. Within 2-3 holes, we were all caught up. It didn't bother us, so we just took some extra time as there was no one behind us.

It brought to lite, a sneaking suspicion I'd been having, that some groups just want to have other golfers in front of them. They didn't finish any faster than us. Didn't follow the cart path only rules (heavy down pours the night before so the course was a bit fragile), and didn't take any time doing anything..

We also had the discussion between us that it wouldn't take them any more time, total, to take 20 seconds to hit a shot that actually got some where than it would to hit 3 shots with no preparation, and shoot 20 strokes worse.

1. Slow play doesn't equate to how far anyone in front of you is playing, nor how far the group behind you is or isn't! Slow play equates to not being ready to hit. You should be, and that means taking several clubs with you to your ball, waiting for the gut behind you to hit, and if he decides he needs a different club he doesn't have in his hand, he tells you to go ahead and hit in front of him.

2. How on earth do you know what their "Tee Time" was, and if they waited enough time, or if the starter told them to hit?

3. Did you communicate that you where letting them through on 10? If not, they might have just assumed that "we've been pushing them hard the majority of the front nine" (your exact words), and they just aren't going to let us through, so we might as well catch up on emails/texts/missed calls, have breakfast, etc.

4. Maybe they felt rushed once they drove out to 10 tee and saw you still sitting there, thought "this is the only chance we're gonna have to get through these guys, so we better hurry up!"

I've been there before as a dew-sweeper. You wake up at 5:00am to get the first time of the day so you can play 18 in 2:45 or 3:15, then make the turn to find out they put a twosome out off the back (to make more $, but holds up your 4some).

I love the early morning rounds when you tee off on 1 while they are still cutting 3. You know you will get the greens in the best possible shape of the day, and no one will be in front of you on the front nine, so you play as fast as you are comfortable with. Only downside is the dew that kills your roll-out on drives, but it actually helps you on the greens. Temps are ideal, and you can then have the rest of the morning to go home and do "honey do" lists, or as I often do, go home, take a nap, wake up and cut the grass/go to little league game/go to in-laws, then go back around 3:00 and play another 9-18 to work on what didn't go so well in the morning.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I don't mind the dew on the greens and wet shoes so much, but sometimes the greens keepers are still at it. To their credit, they politely stop or even shut down their equipment when I execute a shot. While they're sitting there watching, that's when I'll blade it or hit a fat shot. Never fails . . .

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

I like those guys, except for the rushing to get done part. I love an early tee time due to the fact that you are probably the only group or first of a few groups on the course. You have no one to wait on and no one pushing you to hurry up. You can take your sweet Word not allowed time and dilly dally while enjoying a good round of golf. That's my viewpoint :).

That being said, I do agree it does suck not being fully warmed up, but you can't beat playing a round as the sun rises and being back before 10 :). I usually play at 6am if I can

I'm glad so many folks like different times. It works out better for all of us.

I most always hit a few balls on the range before starting and we're usually the first group off.

As far as getting up early goes... I tend to wake up too early and have to kill a little time before heading to the course.

(I guess it's this getting old thing. I don't sleep so much as I once did.)

I've never seen any good players early AM. Always around noon or evening.

Your posts in this thread ( like "old hackers") seem to be intended as insults.

That's the internet for ya. meh

In this case it's mostly because of maybe people working or still in school. I see the alit of college/junior golfers around noon and evening.

I stopped giving a crap if my group mates warm up or not. There is one guy, who has the same mentality as me and we generally warm up together. I get there about an hour before my tee time to warm up and putt, I don't care what the other guys do as long as they show up. Nothing better than hearing how they are stiff and not warmed up through 5 or 6 holes, considering if they arrived a little early they could have warmed up. I stopped caring about anyone else except myself in situations like these when it comes to golf.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

I gave early tee times a shot last season (around 7:00am) with the idea of being able to be home before noon but ended up giving up on them before half-way through the season. I was having to get up even earlier than weekdays for work to get food and coffee ready and some practice on the range in. I would also come home tired from the round but expected to have all the energy to get the needed chores done and possibly go out and do something with the wife and son in the afternoon. If we didn't go out and I put golf on the TV then I would get grief from the wife for so much golf related stuff in a single day.

The pros are that I get to actually sleep in a little bit which lets me wake up more refreshed to get the chores done in the morning and then head out to the course sometime after. Plus I feel a lot more at ease about bringing my son to ride along with me later in the day when the not so time conscientious players are out playing. The slight cons are that I'll have to deal with almost always faithful afternoon breeze, perhaps a slower round if it's busy, and not watching any golf on TV. But the pros outweigh the cons for me.