2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I am starting to hate early tee times

herdman

wake up earlier so you can warm up.. if the range is closed, bring your own balls (or buy them when you leave for next time).

I prefer playing early with guys that play fast, as opposed to later when it turns into a 4.5-5 hour rounds.

The morning rounds have always been less than 4 hours.. sometimes 2.5 to 3 hours, if its just 2 guys (and this is walking)

Worst yet are the rabbits who WANT to play as fast as possible but tee off during the mid morning weekend rush. Running up to the tee to try and get off first (damn the honors) only to sit and wait because there isn't any where to go. And then tee off *just* as the group is 'probably' out of range, zooming up to their tee balls only to wait again. Then hitting up to the green as soon as the guy puts the flag back in (practically). Then giving themselves the 4 footer so they can rush to the next tee to do it all over again.

Worst yet are the rabbits who WANT to play as fast as possible but tee off during the mid morning weekend rush. Running up to the tee to try and get off first (damn the honors) only to sit and wait because there isn't any where to go. And then tee off *just* as the group is 'probably' out of range, zooming up to their tee balls only to wait again. Then hitting up to the green as soon as the guy puts the flag back in (practically). Then giving themselves the 4 footer so they can rush to the next tee to do it all over again.

That part is the worst. I get the ruling on letting faster groups play through, but I'd also argue that you're not really playing the game when you don't even take out the stick, take 5' gimme putts, don't hit from bad lies, etc..

I was paired with one of those guys a couple weeks ago in the morning. He had already explained that 8:30 was much later than he usually tee'd off. I said something about the sand being heavy (lots of dew still) and he said that him and his usual partners don't even hit out of it in the mornings. He never pulled a flag because he wasn't used to taking them out. Played ahead of me if I was behind him because he was so used to "ready golf", which imo, still doesn't mean you stand in front of anyone on their shots..

Just because you can get around a golf course faster, doesn't mean that you are golfing faster.

I love first light tee times. We used to walk 18 in under 3 hours because you didn't wait on a shot. Unless you caught the groundskeeper mowing one of the greens.

Second group, add 30 minutes to your time.

Third group, add 45-60 minutes

And it only gets worse as the day goes on.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Here is what I have noticed with this group. We usually ride together. So, they don't want to go warm up on the range. They hit and putt out of turn. Don't line shi* up. Tee off as fast as they can. They are older and retired(I am not). I really don't know why they are in such a hurry. Look, I am a fast player but running to the tee box and waling away at putts just to get done early is crazy, I think it is messing with my game(which already has is its quirks :taunt: ).

I guess my point is if golf is something you have to be in such a hurry just to get done then why do it? For example, the other day we were scheduled as the second group off. Well, that didn't sit well and our guy who made the tee time went and talked to the starter. The first group had a guy still in the parking lot and was making is way to the first tee(still ahead of schedule). Our guy talks the starter into letting us go ahead since we were ready. So what happens, they yell for us on the putting green to hurry and go tee off. So there we are running to tee of so we could be first.

Have you discussed it with them? Let them know it's affecting your game and see if they are prepared to adapt. If so, all well and good. If not it's your call.

I lost my weekend foursome due to PCS. We played great together! All the things your naming is the opposite of what I am dealing with now. SLOW SLOW SLOW play, putting out of turn yes and every green is at least a 3 putt for them. It screws my game up also so I tend to not play as much as I don't have to with them. It sucks because they don't understand rate of play. Example- chip over the green-walk to shot to take another chip but leave putter in the cart on the first place you were. Takes forever!! So annoying and when I say something they get irritated with me. Ugh I'm hoping my next assignment I find a good foursome

I became a 1st tee time out when I started playing with the father in law. When you play with him, your the 1st tee time out because he hates to wait and doesn't play when it's crowded. Whether that's March when it's 35 degrees and frost on the greens or mid August, doesn't matter your 1st out. Over time I've come to like it a lot. Sometimes we play fast, especially if there are people behind us. But often, there usually isn't anyone behind us, so we can take our time....which is the best. When there is no one in front of or behind you and you can play at your own pace. The other time I like to play is like 4-4:30 in the afternoon, when there usually isn't anyone at the course. I say usually, because 2 weeks ago on a Sunday, my buddies and I went to a course a little after 4, that is usually a ghost town at that time. Figured we would fly through 18. However for some reason it was packed that day. No special event, just everyone and their brother had the same idea we did. This time of year realistically by 8pm your done. Guy in shop would only let us pay for 9 and said if we think we can squeeze the other 9 in, then come in and pay. We tee'd off at 4:15 finished 9 somewhere between 6:30 and 6:45pm. So we skipped the last 9 and went into the clubhouse. The entire time, I was thinking......this is why I'm the 1st one out. I can't handle all this waiting around, people not on your hole playing from your fairway, their fairway, from 3 fairways over. It's not fun for me. Would rather get up early, enjoy my round and still have my day to do other stuff. Because a 4.5-5 hr round where I am waiting the whole time, is zero fun for me.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

I like those guys.

Our group, like most of the dew sweepers are regulars at our course, and we're first off the box as we don't back things up for rest of day. All those in our group, play out of the trunk (it's not the Open, it's for fun and entertainment) with exception of maybe a quick stretch with weighted club, roll couple of putts, and let's play. We also are fortunate enough to play at a facility with 27 holes, so we usually play all 27.....did yesterday, tee off 715am, left parking lot by 1230 with 27 holes completed.

Solution to your dilemma is, arrive earlier, play later, or learn to just have fun

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I play at 6:30 every weekend morning

I am at the course by 5:20ish, putt as soon as the cut the practice green (usually by 5:45, stretch and hit a small bucket around 6:00.

Walk 18 and done by 10:30 at the latest

Get home right around the time the wife is waking up.

If I played later I would only be able to play once a weekend not both days.

I like those guys.

Our group, like most of the dew sweepers are regulars at our course, and we're first off the box as we don't back things up for rest of day. All those in our group, play out of the trunk (it's not the Open, it's for fun and entertainment) with exception of maybe a quick stretch with weighted club, roll couple of putts, and let's play. We also are fortunate enough to play at a facility with 27 holes, so we usually play all 27.....did yesterday, tee off 715am, left parking lot by 1230 with 27 holes completed.

Solution to your dilemma is, arrive earlier, play later, or learn to just have fun

This would be my ideal situation!

Whenever my parents visit, I always try to get a tee time before 7 so that my dad doesn't miss any time with his granddaughter. I also just like playing early so my whole day is in front of me.

I love the early morning times because I love to play fast and play better when I can play fast. My friend and I, riding in the same cart play 18 holes in around 2 hours 20 minutes if no one is in front of us. We usually just putt for 10 minutes prior to going off and generally take a half swing or one practice swing and hit the ball. We don't waste time but both don't just slap it around either; we shoot mid 70s usually. The early times are great because you can beat the heat and still have the rest of the day to go grab lunch and get other things done, plus for me I'd rather not play than play a 4 hour round as I can never get any rhythm when you have to wait 10 mins at every tee box.

I don't play that fast, but I do love playing in the morning. We usually have the first tee time on the course....

My normal routine is get there early, putt and chip. Swing clubs to get loose and head to first tee, this is all depending on time of year from 5am to 6am, then we are first out. We play fast but not looking to set land speed record.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Yeah, I can definitely see both perspectives. I do play early on weekends -- first tee time off, varying anywhere between 6:00 am and 7:30 am, depending on sunrise/time of year. Often, that requires getting up before 5am. A few thoughts:

• Playing that early would not be my first choice. I'm not an early riser and like to stretch/warm up. As it is, we usually have time for a 10-15 minute warm up, dictated by light and whether the range is set up.
  • I do it because its really the only way I can play regularly. I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old who have soccer/basketball/swimming at different places, often at the same time. Not to mention birthday parties, family events (my wife's family is all nearby), etc. We are far from co-dependent. But parenting 2 kids often requires 2 adults.
  • Playing early, and being home by 10:30 or so, is only only way to avoid those conflicts. And do things like mow the lawn and other house projects.
  • Teeing off anytime after 10 am is pretty much a guaranteed five hour round in these parts. Sad but true.
  • We play in 3:30-3:45, foursome in a cart. We are all single digit handicaps, and we play by rules, but also play ready golf.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Again, to each their own, as long as you take care of the course. I love 3 hr rounds, and the faster I can play, the better I seem to play usually. But I don't understand the whole bit I listed above, which part of that was honestly just cheating to get through the round faster.

I don't get it either. Might as well go to the range for a couple of hours and crack a couple of beers. It would be cheaper too.

I don't go early to get it over with. I go early because it sets up an easy marathon. : )

First out - first in. Eat a bite. Second tee time after another short warm-up and usually that second round is something special regarding score. Sure the play is a LOT slower but we all know the pin placements, the course is going to play shorter because now it's dry, and the excuses have also all dried up.

I personally love the "dawn patrol" as well call it. Because as I said that 07:00 tee time represents a warm-up 18 for fun. The real fun and skins games start around 11.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

It's hilarious I found this thread. Most Monday mornings I play with 2+ groups of seniors (65-80 years old) including my father(yeah), and we tee off at 8. Course is so wet I haven't had a drive roll more than 5 yards all year(literally). The rough hasn't even been cut for the week. It's 4 inches tall and soaked. Hello US Open???

I've gotten to the point where I don't even try anymore, no practice swings, no reading putts, I fix my divots only to see them dragging their 1980 steel spiked shoes all over the green. It's like a race to the finish with these old guys! They just want to leave before the sun comes..? Why even play if you're scared of the sunlight!? LOL

The part that really kills me, and I mean I'm almost throwing clubs mad, is when I'm last to hit, 150 yards out and they're standing on the green. Right by the flag no less. My father tells me to just hit and see if they can dodge.. I smell a lawsuit personally.

You would think after 50+ years they'd learn golf etiquette. Or how to use a wedge for that matter. /RANT

Most people who play early like to play quickly - that's the point. However, as others have echoed, some things happening in your group are because of your group and are not necessarily associated with playing early. You can go early and warm up even it its a very early tee time, you can putt out, rake bunkers, and otherwise play real and courteous golf even if you are the first tee time. Your problem is the group you are playing with, not necessarily the issue of playing early.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I'm cheap, so don't normally tee off early. On the weekend, I can play a nice course starting at 1:00 (or later) for less than a crappy course starting in the morning. When I start at 2 or 3:00 in the summer, its hot at first, but I'm finishing with the sun low in the sky and with comfortable temps. I do sometime play 9 before work, however.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

only time the little lady allows, got to be back for the honey do list and kids time. this isn't your fathers golf anymore (for most any ways).

This is the saddest thing i ever heard . U shud have your golf balls chopped off . And start playing the ladies tees

was answering the op's question as to why people play early, you have no idea how far from the truth this is for me. look up 1960s and there is a pic of me.

Here is the one I love. Play early and get the first tee time. Course double books so when you make the turn you are caught anyway. One course actually asked us to slow down one day.

Well, in defense of fellow course operators, this is a very hard one for us to manage with so many people wanting early morning tee times, and then super fast groups playing at a super fast pace blow the whole plan out of the water. Dual starting off #1 and #10 is often the only way we can start as many people that want to start early (here in GA where the heat is just stupid) as we can. Typically you plan to dual start of both tees for approx the first 1hr 45 min to 2 hours (rated pace of play for our course), then shut down both tees (to new tee times) for the crossovers for about the same length of time. Gets more people out in the morning when demand is super high, and you're shutting down both tees at the beginning of the slower morning period anyway. But super fast groups making the turn (9 to 10, or 18 to 1) in significantly faster time puts us all in a bit of a pickle.

I don't see how there is any debate about when you want to play....If you like playing early, play early...if you like playing at 11am, play at 11am

It's like people think this is some kind of statement about yourself, if you play early than you are some kind of speed obsessed person who doesn't care about golf and just wants to rush everything and probably isn't even a "real" golfer.

I like playing at 7am because you rarely wait and you're home early, and can do a other stuff with your day if you want. If you like playing at 10-11am, that's great. Do it, most places allow you to pick a general time to tee off at.

So everyone is happy right?

/thread?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I prefer playing first/early. No/less waiting, cooler and I have most of the day to anything else I want. I don't believe in rushing around as fast as I can but I don't like playing like it's The Open. I normally arrive around 30-45 minutes early to get warmed up and then go. If you wait past the first hour around here, you're adding 30-60 minutes on your round...and I hate sitting at each tee box.

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

I'm cheap, so don't normally tee off early. On the weekend, I can play a nice course starting at 1:00 (or later) for less than a crappy course starting in the morning. When I start at 2 or 3:00 in the summer, its hot at first, but I'm finishing with the sun low in the sky and with comfortable temps. I do sometime play 9 before work, however.

Exactly. I'd rather play a $100 course for $50 in the afternoon than a $50 course for $100 simply because it's 5 hours earlier.